Microphone not working in Chrome-Electron-Chromium(Solved)

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

watchdog

Microphone not working in Chrome-Electron-Chromium(Solved)

Post by watchdog »

I can't record with my mic in Chrome, Signal-desktop (Electron based) and Chromium using apulse. The mic works in Firefox using apulse. The mic works in Chrome-Chromium and electron based apps by only installing pulseaudio which breaks alsa apps. Is there a solution?

Last edited by watchdog on Sat May 28, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Re: Microphone not working in Chrome-Electron-Chromium

Post by bigpup »

What exact operating system you using?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@watchdog :-

I seem to have the exact opposite problem!

I've never had any issues with recording in ANY of the Chromium-based 'clones' or Electron-based apps.....but I've never had any success in 'zilla-based browsers. At ALL.

As bigpup says; which Puppy are we talking about here? And what exactly are you trying to record?

Firefox & related browsers all expect you to have set your microphone as the 'default' device before you even open the browser. Chomium-based clones give far more granular control over what you can use, but the settings are rather buried.....and CAN take some finding.

I assume this is a laptop, yes? (Probably explains why you have no issues with Firefox, because you would have one microphone, which is all part of the 'default', built-in audio system...)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

bigpup wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:22 am

What exact operating system you using?

ScPup64-2202. I'm using a laptop with external mic but the internal mic does not also work with chromium clones. My testing is about Signal-desktop messenger (electron based) but testing with online mic test pages chrome and chromium have the same problems.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

With any of the 'clones', regardless of what may be set as the system default, you can pick & choose from all available cards; either on a global basis, or on a per-site basis.

Try this:-

In Chrome, go to the Menu - three vertical dots, top-right ->Settings->Privacy & Security->Site Settings. Scroll down to Permissions->Microphone. Click on this.

At the top, there's a drop-down box, where you can select the microphone you want to use. If the one you want is listed, select it. Then close the Settings tab, and refresh the tab where you want to use the microphone. You may need to re-start the browser.

Does this make any difference? Me, I get 3 choices; my built-in HDA Intel audio; the HDMI audio output for my Nvidia graphics card (which never gets used; it's a PITA to set up), and the wireless dongle for my SoMIC headset (this has its own audio card built-in to the dongle itself).

Mike. ;)

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

I have installed the following package apulse_0.1.13-2-s_amd64.pet in ScPup-2202:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cxqZ4J ... sp=sharing

It's derived from the Ubuntu package:

https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/22.04/ubuntu-un ... 4.deb.html

Now prepending apulse to chrome or chromium or signal-desktop the mic works. I mark this thread as solved.

EDIT: the above apulse breaks sound in firefox. My best way to solve the problem is using two packages of apulse until the problem is sorted out. The builtin apulse is the standard but using chrome-electron-chromium apps you can prepend an apulse1 from the above package.

watchdog

Re: Microphone not working in Chrome-Electron-Chromium(Solved)

Post by watchdog »

apulse1_0.1.13-2-s_amd64.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ev9qKR ... sp=sharing

Prepend apulse1 to chrome-electron-chromium apps.

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

Webcam support is also broken in new Chrome-Electron-Chromium apps. I suspect we need a new build of v4l-utils and/or libv4l. And I'm in Slackware Current. Google's engineers are breaking all the software.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

watchdog wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:06 am

Webcam support is also broken in new Chrome-Electron-Chromium apps. I suspect we need a new build of v4l-utils and/or libv4l. And I'm in Slackware Current. Google's engineers are breaking all the software.

Mmm....are you absolutely sure about that? It could be Slackware that are having the problems; I have heard that some of their 'dev' teams are having real issues ATM. Just check out the Slackware "forum" over at LQ.org; there's plenty of recent postings about some of this. There's even rumblings that the time-honoured 'Slackbuilds' process may need a complete re-think before long....apparently, a lot of recent 'recipes' are simply NOT building properly..?

---------------------------------------------------

I've just fired-up Google "Meet" in Brave v1.39.111.....the current stable build, based around the most recent stable build of Chromium - v102.0.5005.61. It detected and used my Logitech c920 HD 'Pro' immediately. This is in Barry's 7-yr old Quirky64 "April" 7.0.1, which I don't think was 'based' around any particular distro, though a lot of Tahrpup64 stuff has always worked here.

It does help to ensure your 'cam has UVC support. Most of Logitech's top-end cams do; makes 'em plug'n'play, OOTB.

It's also working A-OK with the current, stable Chrome.....AND with the Jitsi-Meet, AppImage-based 'portable' that I put together. This is also built with the Electron framework, and the Jitsi AppImage is one of the modern types which updates approximately once a month via a .yml download file, so is always using the newest release of Electron.

AND it's working OK with Zoom.....who have recently added around 200MB-worth of Electron-framework to what was already a large app. Current Zoom runs out at around 450 MB, installed!

------------------------------------

I wouldn't like to say what the situation is for webcams without UVC support, however. It's entirely possible newer builds of v4l1 & v4l2 are needed here......I can't dismiss your statement out-of-hand, because I honestly don't know. I've always researched webcams for Linux very carefully prior to purchase, to make certain they DO have the all-important UVC support.

You may well be right.

Mike. ;)

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

My laptop has the webcam upside down and I need a working v4l1compat.so (libv4l) to use it. The odd thing is that the webcam does not work with Chrome-Electron-Chromium apps at all. Some updated libv4l from other distros are working to see the webcam upside down but they do not solve the problem of the upside down webcam. I use firefox which works well for all my needs in ScPup64. But I can't use the webcam in Signal-desktop. I can now use the microphone in Signal-desktop at least.

Return to “Users”