Application to split files ?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Application to split files ?

Post by mikeslr »

I recall there used to be an application to split files, later recombine the parts. I have a 6500 Kb pet, viewtopic.php?t=6036 I thought might be useful to the community. But even that small size exceeds the Forum's limitation.

And what is the maximum file size which can be attached to a post?

p.s. I'm aware of this discussion of split and combine, https://ostechnix.com/split-combine-fil ... ine-linux/ but thought we once had an application with a GUI. Remembering command line arguments is not my strong suit.

amethyst

Re: Application to split files ?

Post by amethyst »

Here's a little GUI Windows program, works well with WINE (remove fake extension). Can split/unsplit any type of file.

Attachments
capture6814.png
capture6814.png (15.14 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Splitter.exe.gz
(29 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Flash

Post by Flash »

My memory could be failing but I seem to recall a similar problem occurring in the old forum. Someone wanted to split an .mp3 or some other media file into smaller pieces that would still play.

Chaos coordinator :?
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Flash wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:41 pm

My memory could be failing but I seem to recall a similar problem occurring in the old forum. Someone wanted to split an .mp3 or some other media file into smaller pieces that would still play.

Media files are normally split at certain time intervals to be useful. Here is a small Windows mp3 splitter (and combiner)viewtopic.php?p=2883#p2883
You can also use VLC to split audio and video with a little know how.

Grey

Post by Grey »

mikeslr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:46 pm

split files, later recombine the parts.

Two programs are good at doing this. Double Commander & PeaZip. Tellingly, both programs use Lazarus and FreePascal for development (and both have options with GTK and Qt).
I use both of them, depending on the mood. For example, to split large game files to burn one big game into several DVDs or BD discs. The nephew demands to keep all the modern stuff for the collection. And what remains :) ?! Not all pirates provide for the size of pieces of their pirated games to be recorded on optical discs.

DC's main developer is Russian, so it's not democratic to use the program now :) Besides, I have PeaZip in English and it's better to take screenshots from it :lol: Let's immediately consider the use of PeaZip.

In general, you can use not PeaZip itself, but its "younger brother", or rather a set of utilities. There are two options in the portable version folder. peazip is the full version with GUI. pea is a set of utilities that has tools for splitting and back-gluing files.
Let's drive up:

pea_split-join.gif
pea_split-join.gif (45.66 KiB) Viewed 951 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

williams2

Post by williams2 »

Code: Select all

# cd /tmp/

### creating a 10 MB file
# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=10 > 4example.txt

# split -n2 4example.txt 4example.txt 

# ls -lh 4example.txt*
-rw-r--r-- 1  10M May 25 13:06 4example.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 5.0M May 25 13:12 4example.txtaa
-rw-r--r-- 1 5.0M May 25 13:12 4example.txtab

### unsplit the pieces
# cat 4example.txt?? > 4example2.txt

# md5sum 4example.txt 4example2.txt 
f1c9645dbc14efddc7d8a322685f26eb  4example.txt
f1c9645dbc14efddc7d8a322685f26eb  4example2.txt
# 

split --help for help.

split is about 25k gzipped.
split is available on almost every Linux distro.

How hard is it to type (copy/paste) split -n2 4example.txt ?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks to all.
amethyst, splitter doesn't work as well under wine. It will only accept the folder which contained the pet: didn't see the file within the folder. That wouldn't be a problem: just name the folder accordingly; and only have the file that you want to split in it. But the resulting files recombined didn't result in a usable pet.
williams2, it's not hard. Unless, like me, you are 'all thumbs' with the memory of a sieve. :roll:

grey, peazip is one of the applications I like. But it still took me a while to figure out how to get it to split. Open peazip and file-browse to the desired file. Right-Click the file. Select "File Manager". Select "File Tools". Select "Split Files". FWIW, "Join Files" is the module just below it.

The real problem turns out that I did the mental estimation before having a 2nd cup of coffee. The slightly more 6 Mb pet divided by 512 Kb forum limitation results 13 parts. Don't know why I thought there would be three. :oops:
:idea: 13 attachments is far more work than uploading the pet to mediafire. :roll:

taersh

Post by taersh »

I created one at the days of my first LazY Puppy.
SplitFile.
It must be stored somewhere on murga forum.
Some time later, don570 grabbed it and published a modified version also on murga forum.
Perhaps it is in don570's toolbox (can't recall the name)?

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikeslr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:42 pm

Thanks to all.
amethyst, splitter doesn't work as well under wine. It will only accept the folder which contained the pet: didn't see the file within the folder. That wouldn't be a problem: just name the folder accordingly; and only have the file that you want to split in it. But the resulting files recombined didn't result in a usable pet.
williams2, it's not hard. Unless, like me, you are 'all thumbs' with the memory of a sieve. :roll:

grey, peazip is one of the applications I like. But it still took me a while to figure out how to get it to split. Open peazip and file-browse to the desired file. Right-Click the file. Select "File Manager". Select "File Tools". Select "Split Files". FWIW, "Join Files" is the module just below it.

The real problem turns out that I did the mental estimation before having a 2nd cup of coffee. The slightly more 6 Mb pet divided by 512 Kb forum limitation results 13 parts. Don't know why I thought there would be three. :oops:
:idea: 13 attachments is far more work than uploading the pet to mediafire. :roll:

Really strange, I could not replicate your issues. I split several .pets and sfs files (lots of other files in that folder too) to another folder and then put them together again (you can select any of the split parts). Installed and worked without issues. Used 32-bit WINE with Xenial 32 :?......But as you say, the forum's file size limit is so small that any reasonably larger sized file may result in many split files.

Return to “Users”