Vanilla Upup 22.04.61

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Moderator: Forum moderators

dimkr

Re: Vanilla Upup 22.04

Post by dimkr »

Uploaded a new build, 22.04.39. It has many fixes that went into woof-CE recently, and emojis (in the browser and the terminal) work now.

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

Hi @dimkr
I installed everything on a USB 3 key. Everything works wonderfully! Simple and efficient installation using Balena Etcher and I appreciate the saving of settings. I say bravo and congratulations on your work! :thumbup2:

regards;

Born to lose; live to win

backi

Post by backi »

Hi @dimkr :

Installed to Usb-Stick.

Working fine.
Really like seeing Synaptic Packet Manager integrated.

Cool.......good Job :thumbup:

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sorry, I accidentally posted my comment re Vanilla Upup in Dpup pristine thread. Moving now to here:

In terminal, after:

Code: Select all

apt update

I did:

apt install software-properties-common

to get command add-apt-repository (Used to know how to add repos manually but I forget now).

and then:

add-apt-repository ppa:saiarcot895/chromium-beta

followed by:

apt update
apt install chromium-browser

to get chromium browser without needing snap (or a portable app).

Then:

run-as-spot chromium-browser

worked fine. Posting from it now.

Yes, I like this particular Puppy. Having apt makes it better by far than traditional PPM ubuntu/debian Pups.
It is a small download, but that's before adding needed browser such as Firefox or Chromium (as above) of course.

Happy that it provides lxterminal. Really hate that some Pups just come with the likes of rxvt (horrible for cut/paste work).

Good also that it uses overlayfs though I wish a version would be produced that would use upstream Ubuntu kernel since my HP secure boot system, that boots via Ubuntu/Zorin grub2, will not boot the unsigned kernel and upstream ubuntu kernel would be perfect (also I prefer to use well-tested upstream kernels really - why not?). I can boot using Puppy provided grub2, from usb stick, but that's a pain for my internal nvme SSD drive situation. Of course I understand Puppy always builds huge kernel to make initrd tiny, but I'd like the option to use standard upstream kernels for reasons stated, and since not using aufs no such patch necessitates special kernel build. I have same issue with KLV-Airedale, though relatively easy for me to work around the issue there - not so easy for me at least doing so with Puppy.

Though I've used rox filer plenty, I much prefer pcmanfm as it happens so all in all this distro works very well for me (aside from that unsigned kernel issue).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

In terms of actual Puppy woof-CE created distributions, I personally feel that this distribution should be given more focus on the Puppy Linux part of the forum despite its creator's comments to its nature being 'unofficial'. It uses Ubuntu Jammy, so is more up-to-date than Fossapup, which is growing long in the tooth in that sense; it incorporates full dpkg/apt support, and it brings Wayland more officially to the table, as well as Pipewire, and use of overlayfs, which theoretically at least should allow for the possibility of using well-tested upstream kernels from the likes of Ubuntu (at least as an option, which becomes important in the secure boot world where Ubuntu grub2 is already being used). Along with VoidPup, it seems to me that it is the forerunner in terms of modern actual Puppy development. I wasn't enamoured at all with Vanilla Dpup, for many reasons, but this is a different kettle of fish and surely wouldn't be difficult to create a Debian Dpup version of much the same?

Certainly, some may not like that it moves away from Rox/JWM, but that combination not only doesn't fit well into the Wayland-oriented world, which is already becoming well-estabished mainstream and it has never made sense to associate a desktop manager/filemanager combination as somehow defining what Puppy is - any distro can and sometimes do adopt JWM and/or Rox - nothing special about that really.

In other words, I don't see why this work needs to be presented as 'unofficial' (indeed dimkr seems to be the main contributor to official woof-CE so 'unofficial' doesn't make sense to me and is detrimental to its popular adoption). Personally I feel that, especially since it the first Pup (I believe) using Ubuntu Jammy repos, it should be more exposed to forum usage via being placed under Mainline Puppy Linux Distros category. It may be 'beta' quality, but as betas go it is in pretty good shape and being beta does not itself mean it should simply be classed as a "Puppy Project". Clearly, I like this one.

Seems to me it is the main example of all the recent woof-CE work, and thus key to future further Puppy developments, and effectively thus a template for alternative official Pup designs (including future Void repo based Pups - obviously involving aspects of current VoidPup xpbs package manager support in that).

It is actually time we started moving away from X.org in my opinion; mainstream is already doing so and a distribution like Puppy should be nimble and quicker to lead with new trends, rather than waiting to painfully catch up later.

I found the readme/info on dwl Wayland compositor here very inspiring: https://github.com/djpohly/dwl

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Grey

Post by Grey »

@dimkr By no means criticism, but observation.
When installing Inkscape using apt, we try to go to the Extension Manager in the program itself. And there is a typical picture for many distros. Modules, Python (cursed evil snake :) ) and so on:

vanilla_inkscape.gif
vanilla_inkscape.gif (43.77 KiB) Viewed 2022 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Grey wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:22 am

When installing Inkscape using apt, we try to go to the Extension Manager in the program itself. And there is a typical picture for many distros. Modules, Python (cursed evil snake :) ) and so on:

apt install python3-urllib3 should fix this, you probably installed inkscape with --no-install-recommends (without optional dependencies).

Grey

Post by Grey »

dimkr wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:07 pm

(without optional dependencies).

No, the command is standard short. That's why I mentioned it.
Anyway, just an observation :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

wiak wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:39 pm

I wish a version would be produced that would use upstream Ubuntu kernel since my HP secure boot system, that boots via Ubuntu/Zorin grub2, will not boot the unsigned kernel and upstream ubuntu kernel would be perfect (also I prefer to use well-tested upstream kernels really - why not?).

Ubuntu kernels have overlay (and aufs on Focal) built as modules. You would need to make a custom initrd with the module(s) inside, in order to use a Ubuntu signed kernel.

Grey

Post by Grey »

@dimkr
Please look at this topic. Maybe, if possible, you will add a driver from that topic to Vanilla Upup?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Grey wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:56 pm

Please look at this topic. Maybe, if possible, you will add a driver from that topic to Vanilla Upup?

This is not going to happen: I prefer to stay as close as possible to the Ubuntu kernel.

If anyone publishes a PPA with a DKMS-based package for this driver, it should work as-is in Vanilla Upup.

Grey

Post by Grey »

dimkr wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:32 am

I prefer to stay

Okay, I understand your position :) As soon as I switch from the "creative" mode to the "fussy" one, I will try to cope myself. The tablet, though not the most modern, but I want to use it. As a last resort, I'm cleaning the house now and I can throw it out with the rest of the junk :)

wiak

Post by wiak »

I can't help but feel that the relative invisibility of Vanilla Upup gives Fossapup a longer active life than would be normal for an ageing Pup. Yet Ubuntu Pups have been favourites for some years now I think. Ubuntu Jammy has been out since April, but Vanilla Upup in not in Mainline, but hidden under Advanced Topics -> Puppy Projects with quite low thread activity. I doubt visitors to the forum notice any Puppy Ubuntu release other than Fossa and Bionic and no-one seems to be building another Puppy Ubuntu Jammy maybe because this one already exists. I suppose its invisibility pushes some towards VDpup, but Debian generally uses older app versions.

Is a mainline Ubuntu Jammy likely or is this Vanilla Upup going to eventually put into Mainline Puppy Distros?

As things, stand, an old Fossapup makes Puppy less attractive to users I'd think so numbers of users could fall. VoidPups are nice, but not everyone wants to use Void. My own upstream favourite flavour is Arch Linux, but a Puppy Arch isn't much use unless it supports AUR and pacman since Arch is a rolling release and lots of packages Ubuntu might have can only be found in AUR.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak We certainly can put Vanilla Upup into the mainline. Right next to Vanilla DPup.

Any reasons not to add it in the morning (UTC -0400)?

Grey

Post by Grey »

I still hope Phil (@666philb) is doing something. Most likely, he cannot decide whether it is worth dealing with all sorts of PipeWire, Wayland, etc. I was going to traditionally support his new release. I just need one standard to stop at. If we do not have a common standard, then I remain on the line of recent years.

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

Let me suggest a move to “Dog Incubator”!
If someone is looking for VUpup is going to find it anywhere it might be.
If not, front page coverage will be even less in “Mainline Puppy Linux Distros” and VUpup less discoverable.
Please place it in “Dog Incubator”

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

rockedge wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:30 am

@wiak We certainly can put Vanilla Upup into the mainline. Right next to Vanilla DPup.

Please wait with that, until the next Vanilla Upup build. It will be more polished.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

I am sorry to say that wayland is not always compatible with existing input methods. I wonder if there is anyone among the developers of Puppy, who is familiar with Asian languages.

I have made a Japanese language pack for Jammypup64 9.7b. I installed Vanilla UPup and tried to Japanize it, but so far I have not succeeded.

So I hope someone will take over the development of Jammypup64, if 666philb cannot continue the development for some reason.

Edit:
I am not against Vanilla UPup being added to the mainline Puppies.

One thing I forgot to mention. After shutting down Vanilla UPup and starting another Puppy, I noticed that the clock is not correct. I had set "Asia Tokyo" (local time) on Vanilla UPup.

Last edited by thinkpadfreak on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
neojack

Post by neojack »

dimkr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:52 am

Please wait with that, until the next Vanilla Upup build. It will be more polished.

If it possible, I hope you can include devx sfs (as an extra) on the next build. Some user need it for installing old hardware driver (like me :) ), asian language, etc.

Of course I can use apt install but it will diminish some conviniences of the pup...

Last edited by neojack on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

You don't need devx in Vanilla Upup. Just apt install build-essential and you're good to go.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:20 am

I have made a Japanese language pack for Jammypup64 9.7b. I installed Vanilla UPup and tried to Japanize it, but so far I have not succeeded....

I don't know anything about language packs. But I'm wondering if the implementation of usr-merge in Vanilla-Upup (as in Voidpup and Vanilla-dpup) may have effected how they have to be constructed. About usr-merge, see here and following, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/postin ... it&p=60233, particularly, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 335#p60335. Short version (I think): libraries have to be in /usr/lib (maybe /root/my-applicatons/lib). Not sure about subfolders under those.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:20 am

I have made a Japanese language pack for Jammypup64 9.7b. I installed Vanilla UPup and tried to Japanize it, but so far I have not succeeded.

That can happen if you're trying to set environment variables in ~/.xinitrc. This won't work, because X is not started via xwin, xinit and ~/.xinitrc. Try to modify /usr/bin/startdwl instead: environment variables you set there will reach X, JWM and their children.

The next build of Vanilla Upup will be more friendly in this regard, because it has a separate file for environment variables.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

@mikeslr and @dimkr
Thanks for your comments and advice.

After searching the Internet for a while, I tried writing environmental variables into /etc/environment. This enabled me to input Japanese with fcitx 4.x.
How to activate input methods on Wayland is not yet well known. And there seems to be more than one place where we can write environmental variables in, depending on the distribution.

Next I will try to modify the contents of my language pack (pet package) and the pinstall.sh. I hope I can make a language pack for Vanilla UPup some day.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:51 am

How to activate input methods on Wayland is not yet well known.

You'll need a Wayland-compatible solution in the future, but I'm not sure about Vanilla Upup. It uses Wayland to run a fullscreen Xwayland, and everything happens inside this X server. Maybe your existing tools will work just fine with zero modifications except avoiding modifications to Xorg.conf and ~/.xinitrc.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.

I would like to know how to load an extra sfs.
I am new to this version of sfs_load.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:09 am

I would like to know how to load an extra sfs.
I am new to this version of sfs_load.

Just select it and reboot.

exton

Post by exton »

PuppEX Jammy64 (Puppy Linux) compatible with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS :: Build 220630

NEWS ABOUT PuppEX Jammy64 22.04 220630
This Puppy derivative is built from Puppy_Linux_vanillapup 22.04.39, which is build from Ubuntu packages and packages build from source. Puppy_Linux_vanillapup is the best Puppy Linux system I’ve ever tried so I decided to make it even better. My changes of the original system:
1. I’ve replaced kernel 5.15 with kernel 5.18.7-exton
2. Development tools (build-essential) are installed
3. Latest Firefox is installed
4. Added the ntfs-3g package (so NTFS partitions are writable)
5. Added GParted
6. Added video codecs (libavcodec58) so that YouTube videos and Netflix movies can run in Firefox.
The ISO size has therefore increased from 343 MB to 628 MB, but PuppEX runs nevertheless as fast as the original Puppy, which means that it runs very very fast!

COMPATIBLE WITH Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
PuppEX Jammy64 is compatible with Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy Jellyfish), which means that Ubuntu packages for Ubuntu 22.04 can be installed and used in PuppEX. You can use the Synaptic Package Manager or the apt command. (apt update, apt upgrade, apt install MyUsefulPackage etc).

IMPORTANT NOTE: The normal remasterpup2 script (which is included in all Puppy Linux versions) doesn’t work in Puppy_Linux_vanillapup. I had to use my “special remaster tricks” to be able to build PuppEX Jammy64. I have therefore kept my two versions of PuppEX Focal64 20.04 in which the remasterpup2 script works very well. It works very well in PuppEX Slack64 15.0 too.

NOTE about VirtualBox: You can't run this version of PuppEX in VirtualBox. PuppEX Jammy64 runs pretty well in Qemu in Linux though.

SCREENSHOTS
1. The Desktop
2. YouTube running
3. Netflix running
4. Showing a manual installation of PuppEX

READ MORE…

NOTE: dimkr is the man behind vanillaupup-22.04.39. All credit should go to him.

Last edited by exton on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

dimkr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:11 am

Just select it and reboot.

I placed docx sfs and nlsx sfs in the same directory as the main sfs, but the two sfs(es) do not appear in the window of sfs_load.

Where should an extra sfs be placed in order that it will be listed in the "queue?"

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

They should be placed in the same directory as the main SFS or at the partition root.

Can you share a screenshot of sfs_load?

Return to “Puppy Projects”