DeadBeef audio compression?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

GG_grandpa

DeadBeef audio compression?

Post by GG_grandpa »

DeadBeef claims to be able to use audio compression, but I haven't been able to find any plug-in that does this. Can someone point me in the direction of the correct plug-in?

regards,
Joe

greengeek

Re: DeadBeef audio compression?

Post by greengeek »

Audio compression for playback or other functions? What are you aiming to do?

GG_grandpa

Post by GG_grandpa »

Audio compression when the tunes are playing. I want the quiet passages to be louder without making the loud passages louder.

I currently use the AudioStocker DSP plug-in with WinAmp 2.6 to quietly play music all day long, boosting the quietest passages by up to 18db. If I want to migrate to puppy, I need a music player that has the same capability.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Oh ok, like a sort of AGC automatic gain control. I haven't seen such a function but will have a look see.

Did you find a website or something that listed this as a function of deadbeef?

williams2

Post by williams2 »

https://audacious-media-player.org/

Audacious runs on Linux, on BSD derivatives, and on Microsoft Windows

And Audacious can use ReplayGain.
(and mpv can use ReplayGain too.)

audacious.jpg
audacious.jpg (56.53 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I don't pretend to understand how a dynamic range compressor works but this link seems to suggest a dynamic range meter plugin is available for deadbeef:

https://github.com/dakeryas

Doesn't appear that it adjusts anything but hey i will keep looking...

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

The following comparison matrix suggests that deadbeef does not have dynamic audio compression:

https://appmus.com/vs/deadbeef-vs-1by1

(scroll down the webpage)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Don't know if this page has anything helpful to offer but it lists a few compressor utilities...

https://gentoobrowse.randomdan.homeip.n ... edia-sound

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

This link suggests that deadbeef can use wavpack to control compression:

https://gentoobrowse.randomdan.homeip.n ... d/deadbeef

Maybe that involves compile time changes?

GG_grandpa

Post by GG_grandpa »

@ williams2

Thank you for that suggestion. If DeadBeef doesn't pan out, I will look into Audacious next.

regards,
Joe

backi

Post by backi »

Hi @GG_grandpa :

I myself like Audacious most:
Best Sound ever when checked/ticked Boxes (as shown above) and fine tuned:

Bauer Stereophonic-2 Binaural(BS2B)
Crystalizer
Extrastereo
Dynamic Range Compressor
Sample Rate Converter
Sox Resampler

and of Course fine tuned the integrated Equalizer to my liking.
I like Audacious more than Deadbeef......... find the Audacious Sound somehow more crispy.....but maybe that`s just a personal Prejudice.

Regards!

GG_grandpa

Post by GG_grandpa »

greengeek wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:17 pm

Oh ok, like a sort of AGC automatic gain control. I haven't seen such a function but will have a look see.

Did you find a website or something that listed this as a function of deadbeef?

I thought I had, which is why I was looking at DeadBeef.

The following comparison matrix suggests that deadbeef does not have dynamic audio compression:

That would seem to explain why I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Don't know if this page has anything helpful to offer but it lists a few compressor utilities...

https://gentoobrowse.randomdan.homeip.n ... edia-sound

384 packages? Now I have something to look at between naps, for the next few weeks :-)

...this link seems to suggest a dynamic range meter plugin is available for deadbeef:

I saw that early on, which probably reinforced my mistaken belief that DeadBeef had a DSP plug-in for audio compression.

I appreciate the time you have spent trying to help me find something that apparently doesn't exist.

regards,
Joe

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Joe,

I still like deadbeef but I also have found that audacious has replaced it as my personal favourite audio player. I am something of an enthusiast when it comes to some aspects of audio, including processing. Compression is something which I like hearing and playing around with, but there are various settings and parameters which you have to understand and adjust correctly in order to achieve the desired modification to the sound, attack and release levels and speeds and so forth in order to sound more punchy without sounding unnatural with pumping and dipping. So the onboard compressor is not my main reason for liking audacious. I have taken a listen to it and it does have an effect, but there are only a couple of settings to play around with and for me the plugin does not really work as I would like. It can be set to bring up the quieter segments though, so it may suit your needs to some degree. I am not aware of anything that can be used internally within deadbeef.

gychang

Post by gychang »

GG_grandpa wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:52 am

@ williams2

Thank you for that suggestion. If DeadBeef doesn't pan out, I will look into Audacious next.

regards,
Joe

poor man's audio compression is an equalizer, which the deadbeef has. You can try bump up the low frequencies as shown and see if this can help. Can also up the high freq to compensate for human ear characteristics at low volume ( https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... on.103429/ )

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (353.15 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

Right. I have a question, guys. It's to do with DeaDBeeF's "appearance" & "bling", I guess.

I see a lot of images of DeaDBeeF dressed up like a Xmas tree, with all sorts of stuff showing; music analyzers, spectrograms, all sorts of other stuff. Now, I have a lot of these in the 'plugins' directory.....and you can see all sorts of info about them in the 'Preferences' window.....but how the hell do you 'activate' them, and get them to show?

I cannot find a way for the life of me (and it's not for lack of trying, either). The DeaDBeeF site is not very informative, and seems to assume it's down to the user to find their way round the thing, 'cos there's absolutely no documentation of any sort.

Anybody know how this stuff functions? If there IS a way, all I can say is it's not exactly intuitive..! :roll:

TIA.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

JakeSFR

Post by JakeSFR »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:55 am

I see a lot of images of DeaDBeeF dressed up like a Xmas tree, with all sorts of stuff showing; music analyzers, spectrograms, all sorts of other stuff. Now, I have a lot of these in the 'plugins' directory.....and you can see all sorts of info about them in the 'Preferences' window.....but how the hell do you 'activate' them, and get them to show?

Activate View -> Design Mode and right-click any widget.

Greetings!

[O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource
Omnia mea mecum porto.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@JakeSFR :-

JakeSFR wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 am
mikewalsh wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:55 am

Activate View -> Design Mode and right-click any widget.

Greetings!

Heh. Yeah, thanks, Jake. With the help of this site:-

https://www.maketecheasier.com/deadbeef ... c-library/

.....I DID eventually figure it out. Comprehending all the business with the boxes - horizontal, vertical, "splitters", locking/unlocking, etc, took a wee while, but I got there in the end.

Of course, you need to clear the entire window to begin with, THEN decide on the layout you want....followed by finally adding the items you want into each box to complete the customization. AND, remember to un-check "design mode" when you're finished!

This is how it was before:-

.....and this is how it is now:-

All-dark colour scheme to complement my "SlickneSS-Black" GTK2 theme, which is in use across the kennels; important touch, of course, since the portable DeaDBeeF gets shared between multiple Pups. I just wanted to add the "Musical Spectrum" widget for now, though I may decide to customize further in the near future! We'll see; it looks a darned sight better "in the flesh" than this GIF shows it to be....but you get the impression.

At least I know now that the widgets can't be selected until you're IN "Design Mode"....

Cheers anyway, mate. :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Beginners Help”