vnc resolution scaling

Moderator: Forum moderators

user1111

vnc resolution scaling

Post by user1111 »

If you run a vnc server on one box/device that has a different screen resolution to the vnc client box/device then one way to resolve that difference is to use xrandr scaling.

My vnc server, a old acer desktop PC, runs at 1440x900 resolution. My laptop from where I vnc into that server has a 1366x768 resolution. Running xrandr indicates that laptop screen device name to be eDP, yours might be VGA-0 or suchlike - in which case modify the eDP parameter accordingly.

Running

xrandr --output eDP --panning 1440x900 --scale 1.0541727672x1.171875

on the laptop adjusts its visual area to match that of the vnc servers i.e. the

1.0541727672x1.171875 ... scale values are 1440/1366 width scale and 900/768 height scale.

With some tweaking of default font sizes, Xft.dpi ...etc. values that enlarged (scaled) laptop screen size can be made to look OK, and if in tigervnc you turn off the Screen tab options for resizing, tick the full screen option, then once vnc connected it also looks good, full screen with the full screen fitting the laptop full screen and no actual panning.

I prefer to use x0vncserver as my vnc server choice (rather than directly invoking x11vnc) and over a local wifi LAN that runs really well, displaying youtube videos near as good as if you were viewing the video using the laptop. With the server ethernet connected to the net downloads to that are also much quicker.

That xrandr setting isn't persistent, so needs to be re-entered after each reboot, creating a script in ~/Startup is one way to achieve that.

Return to “Graphics/Video”