Symlinks for synchronization.

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Symlinks for synchronization.

Post by geo_c »

For many years now I have kept my data sync'd across multiple machines by maintaining one inclusive data directory which I call dbox.sync.mir stored on the local home-drive directory of all my machines. In other words if my fossapup64 system directory is sda1/fossapup64, then the data directory is sda1/dbox.sync.mir. Before shut down, moving to another machine at another work location I run grsync to a usb drive and sync the files on the sdb1/dbox.sync.mir.

I've also stored a lot of backup system directories in the dbox.sync.mir, for instance, profile folders for librewolf, xfe, rox, etc.

It finally occurred to me to take @mikewalsh's portable approach and symlink the actually profile locations to the data in the dbox.sync.mir. It seems to work well. In one sense it's kind of like the puppy approach of having an external user/root file or directory which is then mounted. But in this case it's just a symlink. To be safe, I leave a renamed backup copy of the original application directory in the system, then copy the original to my dbox, and symlink. That way if my dbox data gets corrupted I can rename my backup folder in the system directory and keep working.

The result is my various applications remain consistent across multiple devices because they are sharing the same config files.

There's no real question in this post. But comments and suggestions, or warnings, are always welcome!

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikewalsh

Re: Symlinks for synchronization.

Post by mikewalsh »

@geo_c :-

Heh. It's an approach I've taken for several years. I have several directories; "my-documents", "Downloads", "Mike's-Stuff", "Movies", "Media" (this one is images and music, mostly), "Puppy-Stuff", etc., all situated on a partition of what used to be an external USB 3.0 'data' drive. Since moving to the new HP desktop, I ripped the HDD out its plastic casing, disconnected the USB 3.0-to-SATA 'bridge' card that these external drives all seem to use, and installed it permanently within the tower via a normal SATA port.

These directories then all get sym-linked into /root of any new Puppy I set up.....giving me common access to all this personal data, regardless of which Puppy I happen to be in for the day. And if I happen to switch Puppies at any point - for whatever reason - I can just carry on uninterrupted. The idea is not new - folks have been doing this for years before I ever tried it - but Puppy's easy-to-use & powerful sym-link function makes it very easy to implement.

--------------------------------

Same goes for the browsers. I've been a Chrome man virtually since it was in the beta testing stage in Summer of 2007. I was on XP in those days, and had long since switched from Internet Exploder to Firefox.....a move many Windoze users had made. Around the time Chrome was being developed, Firefox was in the middle of an "awkward" spell; it was very crash-happy, often shutting-down whenever it felt like it, and was also suffering from horrendous memory leaks. I was ready to throw in the towel, I was getting that fed-up with it, when I spotted an advert, inviting people to become beta' testers for the upcoming Chrome browser. "Sod it", I thought, and signed-up almost straight away. And boy, was I glad I had. It was blazingly fast; rock-solid, and very stable in use, extremely clean & tidy in appearance, and showed every sign of developing into a world-beater. Which of course, it HAS.

I always used to use the Chrome 'sync' function, but was never too happy with the concept of all my data being on somebody else's servers. With Fred's initial development of that first 'portable' Firefox, it spurred me on to try and take the concept further. Pale Moon was the first, followed by an ESR Firefox. I was happy with these, and turned my attention to the Chromium-based browsers. These proved more awkward, initially, but with plenty of help from various members of the community we "cracked it". Opera became the first, Chromium-based Puppy 'portable'; then Iron, followed by several others. Interestingly, Chrome was almost the last to be given the 'portable' treatment, despite it being the one I'd always wanted to get working initially.

The rest, as they say, is history. What I like about the portable browsers is the ability to "share" a common profile between multiple operating systems; effectively, it's a way of "syncing" your browsers, while at the same time keeping all your data local. And it works.....very nicely!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Re: Symlinks for synchronization.

Post by geo_c »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:25 pm

@geo_c :-

Heh. It's an approach I've taken for several years. I have several directories; "my-documents", "Downloads", "Mike's-Stuff", "Movies", "Media" (this one is images and music, mostly),

The rest, as they say, is history. What I like about the portable browsers is the ability to "share" a common profile between multiple operating systems; effectively, it's a way of "syncing" your browsers, while at the same time keeping all your data local. And it works.....very nicely!

Mike. ;)

My dbox is for the 'working' files. Of course being a musician that uses multi-track recorders and videos, I have the BIG DATA sync folders also known abox.sync.mir for audio/video production, and bbox.sync.mir for personal a/v files, as well as Music and Music-Playlist- archives of mp3's, as well as jpg.family.

My USB storage media all have puppy installs on them so that I can boot puppy and access my data. Some of my USB hard-drives also have the same directories mirrored on a fat32 partition with the drive itself containing a small fat32 partition up front so that windows can 'see' it.

A 3TB USB hard-drive contains:
fat32 'head' partition
ext4 partition with puppy installs/portables/pupsaves, and /dbox.sync.mir
ext4 partition with BIG-DATA
fat32 partition with BIG-DATA

So basically I can carry around my entire digital-life on one drive with the ability to boot on guest machines and access everything.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Return to “File Management”