How about a description of various Puppy versions?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

vhradice

How about a description of various Puppy versions?

Post by vhradice »

I have had several friends ask me which version of Linux they should install on older hardware. Some investigation indicates that Puppy is the right one. However when I looked to download Puppy, I came across a chart on the Puppy home page that lists 12 different versions. Looking at the architecture column I can eliminate some based on the processor to be used. However the compatibility column confuses me. Is there some place that gives a more descriptive description of what each version is all about.

Thank you.

dogcat

Re: description of versions

Post by dogcat »

In same order of list you referenced with compatibility information. Additional information about packages used to build each version is available but will not be supplied by me unless requested, you can get a good idea about that info by visiting the distrowatch puppy linux page
Scroll to lower section of page for base packages
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy

Compatibility refers to the Linux version all the core packages originated from.

--------------------------

Compatibility * Architecture Latest Version

Ubuntu Focal 64 x86_64 64-bit FossaPup64 9.5 - Latest official 64-bit Puppy Linux Ubuntu Focal Fossa compatible

Raspbian Buster armhf 32-bit Raspup 8.2.1 - Raspberry Pi version of Puppy Linux

Ubuntu Bionic x86 32-bit BionicPup32 8.0 - Latest official 32-bit Puppy Linux Ubuntu Bionic Beaver compatible

Ubuntu Bionic 64 x86_64 64-bit BionicPup64 8.0 - Older official Bionic 64-bit Puppy Linux Ubuntu Bionic Beaver compatible (this was 64-bit version released before latest Ubuntu Focal Fossa version)

Ubuntu Xenial x86 32-bit XenialPup 7.5 - Older official 32-bit Puppy Linux Ubuntu Xenial Xerus compatible (this was 32-bit version released before latest Ubuntu Bionic Beaver version)

Ubuntu Xenial 64 x86_64 64-bit XenialPup64 7.5 - Older official 64-bit Puppy Linux Ubuntu Xenial Xerus compatible (this was the 64-bit version released before the Ubuntu Bionic Beaver version)

Slackware 14.2 x86 32-bit Slacko Puppy 7.0 - Latest official 32-bit Slackware based Puppy Linux

Slackware64 14.2 x86_64 64-bit Slacko64 Puppy 7.0 - Latest official 64-bit Slackware based Puppy Linux

Slackware 14.1 x86 32-bit Slacko Puppy 6.3.2 - Older official 32-bit Slackware based Puppy Linux

Slackware64 14.1 x86_64 64-bit Slacko64 Puppy 6.3.2 - Older official 32-bit Slackware based Puppy Linux

Ubuntu Trusty x86 32-bit Tahrpup 6.0.5 - Older official 32-bit Puppy Linux Ubuntu Trusty Tahr compatible (this was 32-bit version released before the Ubuntu Xenial Xerus version)

Ubuntu Trusty 64 x86_64 64-bit Tahrpup64 6.0.5 - Older official 64-bit Puppy Linux Ubuntu Trusty Tahr compatible (this was 64-bit version released before the Ubuntu Xenial Xerus version)

These are all tried and true,
32-bit computers will need a 32-bit version.
64-bit computers can use either 32-bit or 64-bit versions.

Μακάριοι οι καθαροί στην καρδιά * επειδή, θα δουν τον Θεό.

bigpup

Re: How about a description of various Puppy versions?

Post by bigpup »

If you are looking for some specific information about a specific Puppy version.

Best place to look is the specific topic for that specific version.

In this forum, look here:
viewforum.php?f=114

That list of Puppy versions on Puppy home page is in order of when they were released.
In general.
The newest version will be best to use to run latest and newest versions of software, especially the latest browsers.
Also best for the newer or newest hardware.

Puppy specific versions do not work on all possible computers. Each version is slightly different and hardware support is one area of that difference.

No one that develops a Puppy version can test it on all possible computers.

So, to find the best Puppy version for the computer.
You need to just try a few and see what works best.

Note:
All Puppy versions generally work the same way and have the same core programs.
But each developer can take out and put in what they want to.
So specific programs and software in a Puppy version can be different.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Re: How about a description of various Puppy versions?

Post by mikeslr »

vhradice "I have had several friends ask me which version of Linux they should install on older hardware."

The age of a computer isn't as important as the computer's capabilities and limitations. I recently ran a Puppy version based on debian buster (circa 2019) on an Asus 701SD (circa 2007).

As bigpup noted, there's the obvious limitation that 32-bit computers can't run 64-bit operating systems. And as he also noted: there's a Rule of Thumb that newer operating systems are for newer computers, older for older. The reasons for the Rule is that (a) drivers are needed for an operating system to recognize a computer's hardware --keyboards, monitors, wifi-adpater, etc: Out-of-the-Box older operating systems won't have drivers for newer hardware since they didn't exist when the operating system was created; and newer operating systems may not have drivers for older hardware because drivers have to be compiled and the devs figured few people would have old hardware. This limitation is especially true of wifi adapters. Keyboards etc haven't changed that much. (b) Newer operating systems expect that a computer has more RAM: applications built for it (and included with it) take advantage of that, provide more 'bells and whistles' and demand more RAM.
However, older applications --sans such bells and whistles-- can be run under newer operating systems; and on occasion Puppy Devs have been known to compile needed drivers not otherwise available, and --being pack-rats-- once compiled they are available for future use.

As bigpup also noted, it's best to try a few. My assumption is that almost everyone will want to access the Internet. Increasingly, web-sites are denying access unless you have (almost) the newest version of a web-browser. That being a consideration, I recommend that you include among the Puppys to be tested Xenialpup64. It can run OOTB the latest web-browsers while It's built-in applications are less RAM demanding than newer Puppys.

If one is limited to using a 32-bit operating system, I'd suggest dpup-stretch for the same reason.
But try to avoid 32-bit operating systems if possible. The days of 32-bit Web-browsers are limited. Most computers can run 64-bit systems even if they came with 32-bit Windows. And the additional RAM demands of a 64-bit system are minimal. Moreover, purchasing and adding RAM to your computer costs a lot less than purchasing a computer.
Following such tests, you'll have a better idea of whether the use of a newer or older Puppys are possible or required.

Unlike almost all other Linux operating systems, Puppys do not need an entire partition or USB-Key. All each needs is its own folder. If you and your friends live near each other, one of you can easily include several Puppys on USB-Key and use that to find out which Puppy works best on each specific computer.

Don't hesitate to ask how questions.

Return to “Beginners Help”