Tintii and Urbanlightscape

Moderator: Forum moderators

Geoffrey

Tintii and Urbanlightscape

Post by Geoffrey »

Retrieved from murga-linux.com

Tintii and Urbanlightscape image manipulation software, these are free for linux from http://www.indii.org/software/

Compiled Statically in Carolina tested with Wary, X-Slacko, Xprecise, should work in any modern Pup derivative.

tintii-2.9.0-i486-static.pet (1.6 MB)

urbanlightscape-1.3.3-i486-static.pet (2.3 MB)

greengeek

Re: Tintii and Urbanlightscape

Post by greengeek »

Thanks for these graphic utilities.

Tintii is a bit of fun and gives some interesting effects.

Urban Lightscape I could not initially understand how to use when i first looked at it a couple of months ago but i just tried it again because I was looking for a way to lighten and darken specific areas of an image and it seems specifically designed for that.

Usually it is easy to lighten or darken an entire image but controlling the exposure of specific areas of the one image can be hard. Urban Lightscape makes it quite easy but there is a trick to getting started with it.

Here is the way to get started:

1) Load image
2) Click "View" then tick "overlay"
3) Choose an area of the image that you want to lighten then doubleclick and drag that area. If you drag up it will lighten. If you drag down it will darken.
- You can do this on multiple places on the image and each point will have a number overlayed on it for individual adjustment.

This gif that i found on an Lawrence Murray's indii.org website gives the idea:

Vase.gif
Vase.gif (85.76 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

I am still trying to figure out the spread and softness etc controls. Bit of trial and error involved there but this seems like a neat alternative to the complexity of Photoshop and masking etc to achieve spot lightening/darkening.
(Using Tahr32 for testing at the moment)

charlie6

Post by charlie6 »

Hi Geoffrey,
tons of thanks having discovered that awesome app!
last edited: (build attempt on BionicPup64-8.0)
I definitely got success in compiling Urbanlightscape-1.4.0 (here: https://www.indii.org/software/urbanlig ... /download/); and Urbanlightscape seems to run as expected :thumbup2:
A first attempt (see "initial post" blue colored text below) reported that wx-config should be missing although libwxbase3.1 was installed from PPM.
After having compiled (as recommended in the Urbanlightscape-1.4.0 README file):
1) wxWidgets-3.1.4.tar.bz2 from https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/ ... .4.tar.bz2
and
2) the complete boost_1_75_0.tar.gz (to get the required deps Boost.uBLAS and Boost.Random) from https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/release ... 5_0.tar.gz
(to compile it, I used a pristine installation of Bionicpup64-8.0 ...ca. 2 hours compiling duration).
...Urbanlightscape-1.4.0 could be compiled without a flaw :D

By comparison with the 1.3.3 version given above, the resulting urbanlightscape-1.4.0 binary weight is 1435KB (stripped); whereas it is 5468K in the 1.3.3 static version.
I am totaly ignorant :oops: about how to build a static version which I presume could run without installation of extra-needed dependencies.
So I believe it is yet to early to present a .pet package.

Any comment or further improvement advices will be much appeciated.
Thanks in advance for any comment.

Charlie

[ initial post:
« I got a try to compile Urbanlightscape - downloaded the archive urbanlightscape-1.4.0.tar.gz - in bionicpup64-8.0 without success:
the configure step (with options for 64bits processor as recommended in the README file) reports:
--------------------------------------
root# ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-assert CXXFLAGS="-O3 -g3"
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking for g++ option to support OpenMP... -fopenmp
checking for wx-config... no
configure: error: wx-config required
root#
--------------------------------------

although I have installed both
libwxbase3.1-0-unofficial_3.1.4-1.bionic_amd64.deb
libwxbase3.1-dev_3.1.4-1.bionic_amd64.deb

I'd like to know where I missed something.
Thanks for replying» ]

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

It's been some time since I've done anything with Linux, all my old machines died so haven't really had anything dedicated to run Linux on, I've now resorted to to using VMWare on my new PC, works much better than VirtualBox.

I recently used Urbanlightscape to edit a image of my deceased cat Vince, as I wanted to print it to canvas, the image had a lot of back lighting which made his face dark, this program made it easy to bring his facial features to an acceptable level.

Attachments
vincent1.jpg
vincent1.jpg (79.63 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
vince2.jpg
vince2.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Geoffrey :-

Hey, thanks for reminding us about these, Geoff.

I've had these squirrelled away in a sub-directory on my back-up drive for years, and had completely forgotten about them. I used Tintii a few times when I first obtained them, and Urbanlightscape once or twice. They make a nice addition to my resurrected Tahrpup 606 on this new HP desktop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't these originate as Photoshop "plug-ins"?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:44 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't these originate as Photoshop "plug-ins"?

Mike. ;)

Hi Mike, been awhile, yea the Windows and Mac OS X versions contain both the Photoshop plugin and the standalone application.

I'm still using XTahr with the photo software adrive I built, it does what I need, I installed Wine and run Adobe Photoshop 6 and IrfanView.

Attachments
snapshot.png
snapshot.png (322.12 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Oh, you jammy bugger! PhotoShop 6? Does it run OK under WINE...?

Reason I ask is because my own copy of CS2 - which I obtained back in 2013 during the free-for-all when the CS2 activation servers were de-commissioned! - is, as far as I'm aware, the last Photoshop that will install & run more or less properly under WINE. From CS3 onwards, you get all sorts of issues with the thing; disappearing windows, non-functional menus, graphical controls that work fine one minute, then quit in a huff the next......those kinds of issues, know what I mean?

Just out of curiosity, how d'you get yours? (Is this CS6 ?) Subscription? Did you purchase a licence? Or did you obtain it via, um, "other" means? :shock: :D

Mike. ;)

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

@mikewalsh

I'm using PhotoShop CS6 extended edition, running in wine-1.7.23, it all seems good, I haven't had a issue as of yet, though I have copied the system files from visualbasic6 into the system32 folder, that might be the reason it runs ok, yes um, "other" means.

Attachments
snapshot.png
snapshot.png (7.1 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hm. Care to "share" the "other means"..? :lol: :D

I wouldn't mind updating mine to CS6 if I could..... PM me if you don't want to generally broadcast it, mate! I'm discreet when necessary.....

(I used to run CS2 under version2013's WINE 1.7.51 for some years. When trister discovered the Wine 4- and 5-series 64-bit AppImages over at GitHub, I swapped all my 64-bitzers to WINE 5.11. Even let me run my favourite PhotoScape in Barry's old Quirky64 April 7.0.1.....Barry never, ever built 32-bit compat libs packages for these, so I'd all but given up on being able to use PhotoScape here. The AppImage saved the day, so I linked that into the system, and linked the .wine directory from my "external" WINE install into it as well. The moment of truth had arrived, so I launched PhotoScape, annnd.....bingo! Everything worked perfectly!)

Mike. ;)

step

Post by step »

tintii 2.9.0 and urbanlightscape 1.4.0 added to Fatdog64 repo - 64 bit binaries.

Return to “Graphics”