Problem on installing (booting) Puppy linux

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Ioan

Re: Problem on installing (booting) Puppy linux

Post by Ioan »

Thank you guys ,
I have a great news : i have installed Bionicpup32 and internet works with seamonkey .
Now the interesting part is that the usb from whitch i've installed it , i have it all along . And i have tried all the puppys versions from puppy linux . But this usb was from last year and i used to install puppy linux in the other pc alongside Lubuntu. Now Bionicpup32 from the puppy linux webpage is not installing seamonkey, but this one does .
What were the chances to succeed ? I didn't tried from the start because a few months ago it didn't boot on this pc , but now it does .
I am happy . I don't know for how long but i got to be after one and a half week of searching .

Now there's a little problem with updating but it's not bothering me too much
if it's too complicated to solve it , i will let it be .
Anyway this is the message i get when trying to update :
" Updates can be applied to the original Bionicpup32 8.0 with md5= 9d753e2dffd49beaba80751e87a45c3f
Reverse updates are available to generate the original .iso from one of the updates. If you have Bionicpup32.iso from ibiblio you will need to rename it by comparing its md5 checksum to the list on Souceforge or ibiblio " and leads me to a sourceforgepage page : https://sourceforge.net/projects/zestyp ... c/updates/ .

Mikeslr i've liked your comparison with Sherlock Holmes and thanks for the explications .
I didn't tried your method because after i would install these pets i don't know what to do .
In Bionicpup32 is already installed Pup-Sysinfo system information (i guess is the same with PupSysinfo ) and on Setup i have "check dependencies installed pkg " . I've run this last one and was missing some filles from seamonkey but is working fine .
If you think that is something necessary to be done , i will do . But i don't always understand sometimes because of my lack of english sometimes because i'm not so smart .

Thank you Bigpup for still helping me after i told you that i'm giving up for 2 times .

Thanks guys .

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Glad that Bionicpup32 is working. I'll look at the problem about updating tomorrow. But do two thing while waiting. First start a new thread specifically about that problem.
While we give newbies some slack, the rule of thumb on the Forum is "One Post, One Problem". Otherwise it get really difficult to keep track of what's going on; and even more difficult later on if someone else has the same problem and we want to find the discussion.

The main reason for posting now is this:
Never apologize that English is not your native language. Doing so is actually a 'back-handed complement'; in other words an insult. It reminds those of us, like me, stuck in only one language that your are more capable than us.
You are much smarter than you give your self credit. When I was in public school I had the misfortune of learning what my IQ was on the Binet Test. It was a good score but did not put me in the 'genius' level. Eventually that knowledge provided an excuse to not pursue a career in the 'Hard Sciences': I figured I wasn't smart enough.
One of the great quotes by Albert Einstein, a recognized genius is, "Genius is 1% inspiration; 99% perspiration." :)
Many years later I realized my mistakes. The Binet Test asked 60 questions and scored you on how many you got right in the given time. Essentially, it tested how quick you were.
During most of human history we were lucky to live to age 40: just long enough to raise children and see our grand-children. Today there's a good chance that we'll live to age 80 or longer. We have twice the time to solve problems if we use that time do the hard work: most of the perspiration Einstein referred to. We all have the potential to be twice as smart analytically as anyone, ourselves included, thinks we are.
That 'inspiration' Einstein referred to is product of the combination of our ability to recognize patterns and our experience. Our ability to recognize patterns is something every infant has. It's what, among other things, enable us to learn the language our parents spoke.
Language is a system: how does a sound relate to some thing or action. By the time a child reaches adulthood he or she has learned many systems: How does one practice religion? How do you get along with others? Math. What clothes to wear and how to put them on? How does one obtain food, water, shelter?
Being bi-lingual means you've already have a mastery of one system I'll never have.
How computers and computer operating systems work are just other systems. And Puppy LInux is like a dialect of Linux. There's a difference between not being smart and just being ignorant. You can learn --cease to be ignorant-- as much as you need or want to learn. Doing so is just another instance of Einstein's perspiration.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The update for Bionicpup32 8.0.

What those are are delta files that have all the updates and improvements that have been made after the original first release of Bionicpup32 8.0.

Delta files let you use the original first Bionicpup32 8.0 ISO
Apply a merge of it with the delta file and it makes the ISO now the version of that delta file.

This was a way to provide a new ISO file version of a Puppy by only having to download a much smaller delta file, instead of a complete newer larger ISO file.
Years ago a lot of people had limited amounts of what they could download in a month.

Howto use a delta file:
- download .delta and put into same directory as base .iso
- click on .delta to generate new .iso
- check md5 sumcheck of new .iso against *.iso.md5.txt file contents
- click on new .iso to open it
- copy updated files (usually just puppy*.sfs) to frugal install directory
- close new .iso by clicking on it
- reboot

If you do not have the latest version of Bionicpup32 8.0, which is V30 installed.
I would just download the BionicPup32-8.0+30 ISO.
Use the files in it to replace the ones you have in your install of Bionicpup32 8.0

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Ioan

Post by Ioan »

Thanks guys for the replies ,
I have decided not to update for the time because the Bionicpup32 is still running and second because it seems kinda tricky .
Also don't want to brake any rules .
Bigpup i appreciate your explanation . There are some things that i don't understand but i will ask this in another post if will be necessary . I hope you don't mind .
Thank you for your effort and informations . I really appreciate them .

Mikeslr i appreciate your words and the example from your life .
Back in the school i had to spend more time than others to understand and learn stuff . What others get from first or second reading , i've had to read more times to get it . But this is the life and i'm glad that i've finished the school :D
I understand that the secret of success is to double (or more than that in my case ) your perspiration but you've got to have the right informations , in the right words .
My little english is not something to brug about . I've learned it more in childhood watching cartoons and movies . Now i can't do that . Now i forget even simple stuff .
Anyway thank you again guys or your help an support .
I wish you all the Best !
:thumbup2:

Return to “Users”