slacko64-8.2.1-alpha-alpha-beta+0 (slacko64-8.2.2 by norgo)

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Re: slacko64-8.2.1-alpha-alpha-beta+0

Post by Clarity »

Hi @dimkr

I can understand this evidence in comparison. The 'growth' is consistent with all OSes. Increases over time is expected along with the new functionality that usually accompanies these growths. Some of growth, brings improved workload performance and other useful workload developments.

I notice, reviewing Distrowatch here, where Slackware announces their package list are shown, that Slackware has been using gtk3+ since 2012; thus a decade ago. The report submitted here for review indicates a system of gtk2???

Questions

• Is this report 'announcing' that Slacko64 v8+ will NOT be gtk3 along with Slackware's current development direction?

• Or is this report merely a report of a workload effort of some sort that is planned?

• Or just a mere observation in comparison of this workload in a VM?

Just curious

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Clarity wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:36 pm
  • Is this report 'announcing' that Slacko64 v8+ will NOT be gtk3 along with Slackware's current development direction?

I don't have the 'authority' to announce that.

Right now, when woof-CE builds packages from source, it uses GTK+ 2 in 32-bit builds, where possible, because the RAM consumption of GTK+ 2 is lower. Some packages, like Transmission, are GTK+ 3 only, though.

The RAM consumption of 64-bit Slacko 8.x is higher than that of 7.x, not only because of things like PulseAudio, but also because of the switch from GTK+ 2 to GTK+ 3 in most applications, so it's not a fair comparison. IMHO, the extra RAM is worth it, and sticking to GTK+ 2 simply won't work.

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

...Patiently awaiting the next release.... Good job, so far! :thumbup2:

Attachments
Slacko64-8.2.1.jpg
Slacko64-8.2.1.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@01micko as mentioned earlier about the reason for back-porting GTK in 32bit builds, it is hoped that the 32bit builds have a different version number than the 64bit build versions as it moves into the future.

dimkr wrote:

Right now, when woof-CE builds packages from source, it uses GTK+ 2 in 32-bit builds, ...

As such, some problems which may surface in 32bit will be inconsistent with problems of 64bit builds.

I am sure that, like today's naming Slacko version v7 (32bit) vs v8 (64bit) will continue.

Just a note.

BTW: @Duprate, that is one beautiful desktop screen with Conky showing. I have found that having that Conky presence has been helpful in keeping track of system behavior and quickly identifying some problems. It is similar to the OOTB experience in FossaPUP64.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Clarity wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 am

As such, some problems which may surface in 32bit will be inconsistent with problems of 64bit builds.

You have to rebuild a package to use it on 32-bit Slacko (unless it's a gtkdialog script or something), so it's 'incompatible' in first place.

We have theme packs that cover GTK+ 2 and GTK+ 3, so visual inconsistency is not an issue anymore.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Duprate wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:55 pm

Wow - that's a great desktop setup. Especially the tray with so many quick launch icons and radium style icons. Absolutely love it.
It would be great if you could make an iso available with those customisations. :thumbup:

Slacko64-8.2.1.jpg
Slacko64-8.2.1.jpg (10.77 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Good afternoon! The system is all customized and remastered. The initrd starts with Overlayfs. All heavy apps are RoxApps, and are on another HD partition. They are used on three different systems: FatDog64, Slacko64 and DebianDog Bullseye.
However, at the moment what I can do is make the tray icons, wallpapers and conky.config available. (pwidgets-2.5.8-x86_64.pet). You can customize your system with this, without changing the way you use Slacko64!
First, I need to make a space on my drive available on Google. Afterwards, prepare the files for upload. When it's ready, I'll let you know! :thumbup:

Note: the walpaper shown I saw in an advertisement for Slackware 15. I don't know if it will be the same when it is released.

Attachments
RoxApps.jpg
RoxApps.jpg (61.32 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Last edited by Duprate on Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duprate

Post by Duprate »

It's worth mentioning that Peebee's 5.14.7-LxPup64 kernel is good for everything! Use on FatDog64, Slacko64, DebianDog Bullseye and Makulu Linux. Works great, both AUFS and Overlayfs... Multipurpose tool and always up to date! For those who like avant-garde... :thumbup2:

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

greengeek wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:46 am
Duprate wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:55 pm

Wow - that's a great desktop setup. Especially the tray with so many quick launch icons and radium style icons. Absolutely love it.
It would be great if you could make an iso available with those customisations. :thumbup:
Slacko64-8.2.1.jpg

Hi! Cosmetic customization is in ydrv_slacko64_8.2.1.sfs. Take a look and adapt to your needs... Good Luck! :thumbup2:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@Duprate do you recommend your ydrv to replace or to be merged with the existing Slacko64's ydrv sfs?

Thanks for what you have shown us.

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

@Clarity Escreveu: ↑ » sábado set 25, 2021 6:33 pm

@Duprate do you recommend your ydrv to replace or to be merged with the existing Slacko64's ydrv sfs?

Goodnight! the ydrv_slacko64_8.2.1.sfs file should not replace the original that each has on your system, it is an example. It contains custom pwidgets, wallpapers, screen brightness control, settings, scripts in /root/my-applications/bin (specific to my system). New icons in /usr/local/lib/x11/pixmaps. In /root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray1, everyone should edit as per their needs. As I said, it's an example. Those interested should look carefully inside each folder.
The contents of the file can be merged, but for some, it might just be the tray icons, for others the wallpapers. Best to use only what interests you.

Note: Always make a backup of your ydrv_slacko64_8.2.1.sfs, before new experiences. :thumbup2:

baldronicus

Post by baldronicus »

Hi. This is redundant, but I thought I should mention it. The screen lock up issue, (after X has loaded and the Quick Setup screen appears), that I had reported earlier in this thread, actually appears to relate to Genius X-G200 mice. I hadn't even thought of the mice when trying to think of things in common with the setups that gave trouble. However, the problem appeared when trying one of these mice on one of the systems, when using both a Benq and a Samsung monitor. Use of a Logitech mouse with both monitors resulted in a working boot.
I apologise for giving an incorrect impression of the problem, and for not keeping at it, and, hence, not realising this earlier. Thanks.

Anacleto

Problem uninstalling packages in ppm (solved)

Post by Anacleto »

Hi
@01micko

Thank you for your distribution of slacko64-8.2.1 which, although it seems to be a bit abandoned, I think it still works very well.

It works very fast, and I have very good memories since I started using slacko with version 5.6.

In this version of slacko64-8.2.1 I found a small problem that is that when I install a PET package and then I want to uninstall it, I got a black rxvt terminal and I didn't uninstall the program.

The problem is in the file /usr/local/petget/removemodes.sh and it is in the lines:

Code: Select all

line 150      rxvt -title "$(gettext 'Removing... Do NOT Close')" \
line 151       -fn -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-*-* -bg black \
line 152      -fg grey -geometry 80x5+50+50 -e /usr/local/petget/removepreview.sh

The problem is that rxvt does not work well, if we open a terminal and type:

rxvt --help

We will observe errors, the problem would surely be solved by installing rxvt again, but I solved it by replacing the previous 3 lines with a single line like this:

line 150    sakura -e /usr/local/petget/removepreview.sh

It works and uninstalls the programs without problem.

I hope it helps you, I fervently hope that this distribution will return... Thank you very much again.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi
@01micko

Sorry 01micko

Sorry 01micko for the mistake that I had to be in some previous version of Slacko64-8.2.1.
Today I have downloaded the version that you have at this time in the first post to another computer and it works correctly.

I had to go down a previous version.

Sorry for the mistake.

Regards.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi.

In previous post I read that GPicview did not work properly and same happening to me, so I decided to install through PPM Viewnior but I did not find it, so I decided to make this package PET, and it seems that it works properly.

viewnior_1.7_slacko8.2.1.pet
(197.7 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Regards

pupnewbie

Post by pupnewbie »

Hi folks,

I am very new to this forum therefore not sure if i am posting at the right place.

Trying to download slacko64-8.2.1-alpha-alpha-beta+0 returns Download Error. I get the same result for over 5 attempts on different PCs. It always occurs at around 35MB. The message is:

==============================
home/spot/Downloads/slacko64-8.2.1.iso.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.
==============================

Again my apologies if this is not the correct place so please guide me where it should have been posted.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi pupnewbie

@pupnewbie

I have uploaded the iso to this address where you can download it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/auogkgzj ... 1.iso/file

I won't keep it for long because it's a heavy file. I'll delete it after a while.

See you.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I just used the download link for the ISO, given in the first post of this topic.
Worked OK for me.

Usually download issues are the location server is down or being worked on.
It will start working OK, when it is fully back to normal operation.

pupnewbie, :welcome:

Being new to Puppy Linux.
An alpha release of a Puppy version is not a fully completed release.
Alpha is a release to let people try using it and see what bugs, problems, etc.... they can find need fixed.
So do not expect everything to be 100% working correctly.

You may want to try using one of the completed releases of Puppy Linux.
https://puppylinux.com/

Puppy is about, we the users, also helping with development of new versions.
Simply using a new release and reporting any issues, is a big help. :!:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi bigpup

You are true with :

An alpha release of a Puppy version is not a fully completed release.

For me it is working better than other distributions that are finished. :D

Today I managed to update the kernel of this distribution thanks to you:

viewtopic.php?t=317

and ally with the kernell:

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... oz.tar.bz2

It didn't work for me with "change_kernels" that comes in this distribution.

So try to create the pet as 01micko says in:

viewtopic.php?p=1679#p1679

But it didn't work either so I took the /usr/sbin/change_kernels file from fossapuppy64_9.5 and replaced it with the /usr/sbin/change_kernels file from this distribution.

And it worked.

It seems that everything works correctly.

The change_kernels file for fosa64_9.5 is this:

change_kernels.gz
(4.61 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Regards.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

This post may not be related to the topic of this part of the forum. But I think it could be interesting for this and other distributions and especially for people who start with Linux.

I have tried to install 3 programs on this Slacko64 distribution and all three have given me the same error:

/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by sdcc)

This solution can hopefully work with any required library that doesn't have the same GLIBCXX.

If we look for the libstdc++.so.6 library through the file browser or through the find command, we will see that it is a symbolic link to the library:

libstdc++.so.6.0.28

If we open a terminal in /usr/lib64 and type:

ldd -v libstdc++.so.6.0.28

show:
Version information:
	./libstdc++.so.6.0.28:
		libm.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.5) => /lib64/libm.so.6
		ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
		libgcc_s.so.1 (GCC_4.2.0) => /usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1
		libgcc_s.so.1 (GCC_3.4) => /usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1
		libgcc_s.so.1 (GCC_3.3) => /usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1
		libgcc_s.so.1 (GCC_3.0) => /usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.14) => /lib64/libc.so.6
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.6) => /lib64/libc.so.6
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.33) => /lib64/libc.so.6
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.4) => /lib64/libc.so.6
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.18) => /lib64/libc.so.6
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.16) => /lib64/libc.so.6
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib64/libc.so.6
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.17) => /lib64/libc.so.6
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.3.2) => /lib64/libc.so.6
		libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.5) => /lib64/libc.so.6

GLIBCXX_3.4.29 is not found.

So I copied the library from Quickpup64_v22 Beta 6.

libstdc++.so.6.0.29 in /usr/lib64 of Slacko64_8.2.1.

We have to delete the symbolic that I show below, but before deleting it we have to open a terminal lxterminal because if the symbolic library is deleted it does not allow it to open, and it only allows rvxt or urxvt to open and it is a little uncomfortable because it does not allow text to be pasted.

Then delete the symbolic link:

/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 

And in the previously opened lxterminal terminal do:

cd /usr/lib64 

# and copy and paste the following text:

ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.29 libstdc++.so.6 

We have to be very careful when doing this because it can affect other programs, but it seems that this case has not affected other programs.

In this case, the libstdc library is related to the gcc compiler, we must see that it does not affect it either if we want to compile programs with it.

This could work with any other library with GLIBXX problems but always be careful not to affect other programs.

Greetings.

pupnewbie

Post by pupnewbie »

@Anacleto

Many thanks,

Flawless download from the location you provided! :thumbup: Now I can try slacko64-8.2.1.iso.

Anacleto wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:39 pm

Hi pupnewbie

@pupnewbie

I have uploaded the iso to this address where you can download it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/auogkgzj ... 1.iso/file

I won't keep it for long because it's a heavy file. I'll delete it after a while.

See you.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi.
It seems that updating the kernel gives me a mouse and keyboard error when I boot the system, it leaves me with a mouse and keyboard lockup.
Greetings.

dejan555

Post by dejan555 »

Dear Mick,

I don't know how I missed this release, I just frugal-installed it, connected to wifi with my tplink adapter,
updated the repo and now installing Gimp.
I'll let you know how it works for me in a few days.

I'm glad that you continue working on woof and Slacko releases and have faith in you to keep up good work.
I'm very grateful for your dedication and look forward to your releases. :thumbup2:

norgo

Re: slacko64-8.2.2

Post by norgo »

slacko64-8.2.2.iso [ BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;43eae4692;2022-04-30 15:18:48 +0800' ]

untested snapshot of yesterday
what's the latest kernel for slacko64 and where to get ?

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

norgo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:15 pm

slacko64-8.2.2.iso [ BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;43eae4692;2022-04-30 15:18:48 +0800' ]

Thanks for letting know about the new ISO!
I believe 01micko hasn't officially released it yet. I installed it and it is working perfectly. Slacko brings me fond memories .... I always liked this puppy! I had installed version 8.2.1. Replace with the updated filesystem was "papaya with sugar"
Success in your work with Slacko, 01micko!

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

My custom install...

Attachments
Slacko-8.2.2.jpg
Slacko-8.2.2.jpg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Nice to know that work is still going on with this slacko distribution.
For me is working like 8.2.1.

This version has Kernell 5.4.86

The slacko 8.2.1 show kernell : 5.15.6-64oz

A bug I had with the Gpview viewer when zooming in on large image files causing streaks to appear seems to be resolved.

One thing that bothered me a bit is that the Rox-file file browser when clicking the right mouse button and opening the terminal opens the urxvt terminal by default. This is a bit inconvenient when you want to copy and paste text. The way to fix it is:

Inside the Rox-file file browser click the right mouse button and choose:

Options > ( Windows Options) > Menus > Terminal emulator program : xterm
replace xterm for lxterminal.

I hope to continue with this distribution that has always worked very well for me.

Greetings.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

Thanks for this. Seems to work fine, out of the box.
I do like that it's got 'efibootmgr' and 'mokutil' builtin.

what's the latest kernel for slacko64 and where to get ?

I'm currently running it on a 5.10.87 kernel.
I'm looking for a more recent 5.10 kernel. if I manage to compile one, I will try to remember to upload it.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

There is one annoying thing about this Slacko 8.2.2:
I have a dual monitor computer.
When I run FrugalPup, the screen is displayed half on one monitor and half on the other monitor .i.e.the center of the logical single monitor.
When I run FrugalPup on Slacko 7.0, the screen is displayed in the center of one of the monitors.

Does anyone know of a workaround to revert Slacko 8.2.2 to display "yad --center" screens like Slacko 7?

Last edited by gyrog on Tue May 10, 2022 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
norgo

Post by norgo »

removed

Last edited by norgo on Mon May 09, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Slacko”