https://bkhome.org/news/202204/easyos-d ... eased.html

v3.4.5-rox-desk-bg2-1920x1080.jpg
v3.4.5-rox-desk-bg2-1920x1080.jpg (53.58 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

Feedback welcome!

scsijon

Re: EasyOS 3.4.5 released

Post by scsijon »

Re:menus on desktop or not?
I wonder if it would be possible to have them appear in one window only, leaving the others blank.
Such as only the last has them all, then you could quickswitch across to find and use one without the need to go through menus for finding one particular app only ocassionally used and you could shortcut it to appear on another selected window if used commonly.
In my case, I have four windows set by default, the first with the normal icon set, second for internet only, third for my dev 'stuff' and fourth for all those files that if you don't have a link you can/will spend hours trying to find.
I would be nice to individual set each windows default set rather than have the main ones either there or all gone on all windows.

edit: I have just received an acer touchscreen with a amd R7-5700, when i sort out how to boot from a stick (no it doesn't work on disabling as from the instructions online, (their wrong, the bios has been updated/changed)) i'll try your 3.4.5 and give you some feedback.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Links to the OpenEmbedded and woofQ projects used to build Easy 3.4.5:

https://bkhome.org/news/202204/oe-and-w ... y-345.html

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

Hi Barry;

Everything is functional under my Acer Spin 1 and my Beelink BT3. What I noticed: the brightness, when switching on, remains at 100% while it is at 65% in the brightness parameter. I have to readjust the toolbar length manually in order to get a full size result on my screens. The operation is repeated every time I change a parameter related to JWM. Thanks for the new wallpapers. I kept a clean desk.
It's a nice version. I really appreciate your work

Note: I made the update before the announcement on this forum.

Regards;

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (85.83 KiB) Viewed 1661 times

Born to lose; live to win

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BologneChe wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:44 pm

I have to readjust the toolbar length manually in order to get a full size result on my screens. The operation is repeated every time I change a parameter related to JWM.

I have created a blog post that should help with adjusting tray width:

https://bkhome.org/news/202204/how-to-f ... width.html

user1111

Post by user1111 »

BarryK wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:51 am
BologneChe wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:44 pm

I have to readjust the toolbar length manually in order to get a full size result on my screens. The operation is repeated every time I change a parameter related to JWM.

I have created a blog post that should help with adjusting tray width:

https://bkhome.org/news/202204/how-to-f ... width.html

I suspect that's down to jwm-setup - the helpful gui to modify your desktop (such as jwm settings). Personally I prefer to hand craft my own .jwmrc within which when you set the likes of width=100% those settings are retained rather than re-written with what jwm-setup is coded to do. I like the single file/location approach, so much so that I even record most of the systems configurations in the same single file (init script where the code end has a 'exit' after which nothing is interpreted and in that space I store (append) copies of .jwmrc ... etc config files that the init section code extracts out to the relevant location of where those files are expected to be located). Wrapped within tags such as <!-- jwm-start --> and <!-- jwm-end --> that sed uses as start/end delimiters.

SCRIPT=basename $0 ... i.e. self.

Code: Select all

sed -n '/<!-- \jwm-start -->/{:a;n;/<!-- \jwm-end -->/b;p;ba}' \
                                                         $SCRIPT >/xxxx/.jwmrc

(where xxx is the desired location/path)

So for instance to change the tray height I open that init script and scan down to the jwmrc section, find the Tray tag and adjust the height parameter for that to whatever I may prefer.

Similar for top (toprc), urxvt, Xdefaults ...etc. Want to change my urxvt background colour then open init, search for urxvt and within that section make the change to URxvt*background: black
URxvt*background: blue

<!-- urxvt-start -->
!warning, needs about 500 bytes per line for scrollback buffer...
URxvt.saveLines: 1000
URxvt.font: xft:mono:pixelsize=24:autohint=true
URxvt.boldFont: xft:mono:bold:pixelsize=24:autohint=true
URxvt.italicFont: xft:mono:italic:pixelsize=24:autohint=true
URxvt.letterSpace: -1
! URxvt.background: "gray"
URxvt*scrollBar_right: true
URxvt*background: black
URxvt*foreground: white
URxvt*visualBell: true
! These next two disable ctrl shift Xephyr and urxvt conflict
URxvt.iso14755: false
URxvt.iso14755_52: false

<!-- urxvt-end -->

@BarryK I don't know if you include those last two settings for urxvt in EasyOS?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@rufwoof
This is what Easy has in /root/.Xdefaults:

!Rxvt*keysym.0xFF50:\001
!Rxvt*keysym.0xFF57:\005
! but urxvt in quirky etc needs these...
!Rxvt.keysym.Home: \033[1~
!Rxvt.keysym.End: \033[4~
! broomdodger reports this works in both 431 and quirky (rxvt and urxvt)...
Rxvt.keysym.0xFF50: \033[1~
Rxvt.keysym.0xFF57: \033[4~

!Rxvt*menu: /root/.rxvt.menu
Rxvt*saveLines: 1000

urxvt.foreground:#000000000000
urxvt.background:#f8f8f8f8f8f8
urxvt.underlineColor:#ffff00000000

! fonts  20201003 Type1 fonts removed, now use Roboto Mono
! run "fc-list" for a list of available fonts
! urxvt.font: xft:Nimbus Mono L:style=Regular:pixelsize=14
urxvt.font: xft:Roboto Mono:style=Regular:pixelsize=14

urxvt.geometry:80x25
urxvt.scrollBar: True
urxvt.scrollTtyOutput: False
urxvt.scrollTtyKeypress: True
urxvt.secondaryScroll: True
urxvt.saveLines: 1000
urxvt.cursorUnderline:True
urxvt.cursorBlink:True

urxvt.transparent:Off
urxvt.shading:85
urxvt.borderLess:Off

...I haven't looked at that in a long time (2020). I see that you have "URxvt" whereas I have lots of "urxvt.*" entries -- is it case sensitive?

user1111

Post by user1111 »

@BarryK

I see that you have "URxvt" whereas I have lots of "urxvt.*" entries -- is it case sensitive?

From the manual

urxvt recognizes two class names: Rxvt and URxvt. The class name Rxvt allows resources common to both urxvt and the original rxvt to be easily configured, while the class name URxvt allows resources unique to urxvt, to be shared between different urxvt configurations. If no resources are specified, suitable defaults will be used. Command-line arguments can be used to override resource settings.

With that in mind naming format is all to do with class/resource/instances. Generally either format tend to do the same however conventionally (but not always) resource names use a leading capital letter for class name and when the first letter of the class name is a capital there's a convention to make the second letter also capitalised.

Resource names are case-sensitive: XTerm is not the same as Xterm is not the same as xterm, etc.

The instance name is the actual name of the program (its filename). If you happen to rename the program that changes the instance name.

Changing /etc/X11/app-defaults/URxvt to use a smaller font definition with URxvt setting format changed to urxvt format and copying /usr/bin/urxvt to a file name t, then running t results in a invalid font crash whilst running urxvt is fine (detects/uses the smaller font). With URxvt format for the font size then program t also picks up on the setting (works) - because it was resounce/class defined rather than instance (program name) defined.

Generally if you'd rather the settings apply even if the program were renamed, urxvt -> urxvt.old for instance, then setting using resource (URxvt) rather than instance (urxvt) will better cater for such renaming.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@rufwoof
I have changed menu popup by emulating a key combination:

https://bkhome.org/news/202204/emulate- ... -menu.html

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

rufwoof wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:36 am

<!-- urxvt-start -->
!warning, needs about 500 bytes per line for scrollback buffer...
URxvt.saveLines: 1000
URxvt.font: xft:mono:pixelsize=24:autohint=true
URxvt.boldFont: xft:mono:bold:pixelsize=24:autohint=true
URxvt.italicFont: xft:mono:italic:pixelsize=24:autohint=true
URxvt.letterSpace: -1
! URxvt.background: "gray"
URxvt*scrollBar_right: true
URxvt*background: black
URxvt*foreground: white
URxvt*visualBell: true
! These next two disable ctrl shift Xephyr and urxvt conflict
URxvt.iso14755: false
URxvt.iso14755_52: false

<!-- urxvt-end -->

@BarryK I don't know if you include those last two settings for urxvt in EasyOS?

No, didn't have those two lines, have put them in. Thanks.

hundido

Post by hundido »

Updated to EasyOS 3.4.5 using updater. That went well. I still have the wallpaper from 3.4.4, but it's my favorite, so that's okay.

I've been using Easy OS to organize files on sda1, which I partitioned using Puppy Linux. I can only change things on that drive using Puppy Linux or Easy OS.

Two things I'm trying to do in Easy OS 3.4.5 that aren't working:

1. Open a .html file from saved web pages. When I click a .html file, Firefox opens but the saved web page I clicked on never displays.

2. Open a .eml file. When I try to do that, I get this error:

No run action specified for files of this type (message/rfc822) - you can set a run action by choosing `Set Run Action' from the File menu, or you can just drag the file to an application.

Everything else I tried so far seems to work well.

hundido

Post by hundido »

Where do I find a jpg I accidentally deleted? I can't find the trash.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

hundido wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:31 pm

Where do I find a jpg I accidentally deleted? I can't find the trash.

You only get the "trash" icon in ROX-mode icons-on-desktop. Unable to implement it in the JWM tray.

However, it won't help you to recover a deleted file. It only works for files that are dragged onto the "trash" icon -- they are not actually deleted, just moved, and can be moved back if you choose to "undelete".

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

hundido wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:52 pm

2. Open a .eml file. When I try to do that, I get this error:

No run action specified for files of this type (message/rfc822) - you can set a run action by choosing `Set Run Action' from the File menu, or you can just drag the file to an application.

.eml files are just plain text, aren't they?

The mime-type is "message/rfc822", if they are always just text, I could just set the text editor to view it.

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

An EML file is an email message saved by an email application, such as Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail. It contains the content of the message, along with the subject, sender, recipient(s), and date of the message. EML files may also store one or more email attachments, which are files sent with the message. Microsoft developed the Electronic Mail (EML) format to comply with the industry-standard RFC 5322 for transferring messages between email clients. EML utilizes the Internet Message Format (IMF) syntax for text stored in the messages. Since EML files are partially saved in plain text format you can open them with a plain text editor, such as Microsoft Notepad and Apple TextEdit. However, you may need to change the .eml file extension to .txt. Keep in mind that text editors will not natively display EML files like an email application.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I have set rox to open a .eml file in the default text editor (geany) if the file is clicked on.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Shouldn't an "*.eml" file be opened in an default email client as @scsijon subtly suggests?

Curious if that would be appropriate?

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

Clarity wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:23 am

Shouldn't an "*.eml" file be opened in an default email client as @scsijon subtly suggests?

Curious if that would be appropriate?

No, that's where it's runs, but if you only want to see what's in there, such as if your not sure if it's been 'played' with or ensuring bad code is not there, an editor is the better option. Like barry has set it to be, mine opens a locked down geany that i keep for this type of activity.

Return to “EasyOS”