File Tags

Moderator: Forum moderators

oafunv

File Tags

Post by oafunv »

Can puppy use this?
https://github.com/oniony/TMSU
It allows you to tag any file, query with ls tag and select result in (gtk) file chooser.
But it doesn't have any GUI. What if puppy integrated it in it's file manager? (e.g. right click > tag file)
And a simple GUI to input and search and list results. It would make puppy really stand out.

Last edited by oafunv on Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
step

Re: File Tags

Post by step »

Interesting. I think that you can get a GUI for TMSU. My suggestion that follows is completely untested, only based on a quick read of the README file. The README file doesn't say it explicitly but the GUI is your file manager itself. You know that a file manager shows the contents of a file system, and that a file system is made available by mounting it, and that there are many different kinds of file systems. So a file system exposes a view on your data, so to speak. Now, the TMSU project includes a binary program named tmsu, which can mount a special kind of file system. You could test if tmsu works for you in the following way (again, UNTESTED by me): download a supported binary from their download page; follow the example in the README page -- in particular you will want to mount the virtual file system. After mounting with tmsu mount ... to an empty directory of your own choosing, open your file manager on the empty directory, add some tags with the command line tmsu and see how tmsu presents the tags in the virtual file system as seen through your file manager. If that works for you, you can proceed to the second half of this project, adding "right click" actions to your file manager. How to add right-click actions to a file manager depends on the file manager. Thunar and ROX-Filer differ in this, but it can be done with both. If I get some free time to play with this I will follow my own advice and report back how well it worked -- if it did :) Until then....

oafunv

Re: File Tags

Post by oafunv »

There's two dirs: tags and queries. In queries you can do ls tag to search and you can browse tags with a fm. It's a bit weird but I guess it's better than typing.

To summarize: the only thing puppy could add is make tagging somehow easier via the file manager.

Return to “REQUESTS”