Bullseye build script

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

fredx181

Re: Bullseye build script

Post by fredx181 »

@recobayu
I've tested the way you want to set up with pcmanfm providing the Desktop on JWM.
For to fix the conky display to be transparent (matching the wallpaper you use);
Comment out "setbackdrop &", so becomes:
# setbackdrop &
in ~/startup-jwm and in /usr/local/bin/jwm-obmenu (line 8)
EDIT: And restart X

For the problem of disappearing "desktop_drive_icons" when clicking on the Desktop, I tried a couple of things, but don't know how to solve.
On openbox + pcmanfm --desktop it works displaying desktop_drive_icons without a problem, so I think it's the combination of JWM +pcmanfm that doesn't match.

ralcocer

Post by ralcocer »

I tried to install grub-customizer and I get an error /usr/sbin/probe :error: failed to get canonical path of óverlay', is not the only instance of overlay error. I have a frugal install

ralcocer

Post by ralcocer »

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

ralcocer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:21 pm

Found this; https://codesearch.isocpp.org/actcd19/m ... opp-4.9.cc

Not sure why you're posting this, anyway FYI, ukopp package is available in the Debian repository.

trister

Post by trister »

Happy new year !! :)

Following is quoted from busterdog topic:

fredx181 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:08 pm

How to install systemd on BusterDog:

For those who prefer booting with systemd, here's how (a bit of a workaround)
First make sure to Exit X ! Menu > Logout > Exit X
Then from the console type ("apt update" may not be needed if you recently updated the package lists):

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install udev systemd-sysv libpam-systemd

Reboot with changes saved and systemd will be the init system.
(automatic login doesn't work then, btw).

Note: after doing above and booting with systemd, there's no way back to switch to elogind again (at least that I know of)

Fred

I can't do this in Bulleye openbox .
1.Exit X sends me to login manager (slim) so I can't get to command line only.
2.When I try to install systemd-sysv etc it says Broken/Corrupted dependencies (even in a freshly installed bullseye).

Is there a squashfs with systemd or another way?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi trister, I wish you a great 2022 too !

Well, that worked, installing systemd, for Buster but not anymore that way for Bullseye.
The best is to make a new build with option "Run with systemd as init system .. " checked.
The newest mklive-bullseye has that option (additional settings)

But if making a new build is problematic for you, tell me and I'll try to look for a workaround (probably possible somehow from existing build (without systemd), I guess, but needs investigating)

trister

Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:21 pm

Hi trister, I wish you a great 2022 too !

Well, that worked, installing systemd, for Buster but not anymore that way for Bullseye.
The best is to make a new build with option "Run with systemd as init system .. " checked.
The newest mklive-bullseye has that option (additional settings)

But if making a new build is problematic for you, tell me and I'll try to look for a workaround (probably possible somehow from existing build (without systemd), I guess, but needs investigating)

Thanks fred
I made a new system and it worked. I only had to re-create initrd file with the modified finit ( to avoid the squashfs file/character limit). .Maybe you could add it as an option (the modified initrd).

dasouth

Post by dasouth »

Really Great work! I never thought I'd enjoy rolling my own iso, but the build script really does take the guess work out of creating an iso!

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dasouth wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:18 pm

Really Great work! I never thought I'd enjoy rolling my own iso, but the build script really does take the guess work out of creating an iso!

Thanks, good to hear ! I'm always interested what type of build and which options used, can you describe a little ?

dasouth

Post by dasouth »

Hi Fred!,

I used mklive-bullseye64 with gui to go thru the steps to create the iso. I did a default Tint2 iso as I wanted to have a similar iso as the sid version of debiandog bullseye from 11/20.

The settings I used were UEFI support along with generating initrd.img and leeping local files, and configure locale. I am using Ungoogle Chromium as default browser. the kernel is 5.10.0-10-amd64.

dasouth

Post by dasouth »

Thought I'd add that there is a deb file for Ungoogled Chromium for Bullseye. It's not as new as Mike's portable builds:

https://software.opensuse.org/download/ ... d_chromium

And to add a puppy like adblocker that modifies the /etc/host file:

https://github.com/hectorm/hblock

There is no deb file for hblock, but it's pretty simple. After installing it, you need to run /usr/local/bin/hblock which will modify your /etc/host file.

peasthope

Post by peasthope »

Hi,
Here "./mklive-bullseye32 -gui" ran to completion in Debian 11.1 with no errrors apparent.

I'm interested to use it on a desktop machine lacking a CD drive. An external CD drive can be connected by USB. If necessary I can add a working CD drive on a PATA connection.

I prefer to install Debian Dog on the HDD and boot the machine directly from that. A part of about 8 GB is available.

Please give some guidance to proceed. Are any extant Web based instructions applicable?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

backi

Post by backi »

HI @peasthope :
No "Full" Install necessary.

To make a "frugal" Install:
In the Isodata the "live" Folder is everything you need......

Or extract the Iso .....use the "live" Folder and copy it into a newly created Folder on your Boot Device ..Ext2/3/4 formatted Partition. (don`t forget to flag it as bootable.) .
Apply Grub4Dos to your Usb-Stick or Hdd (if you know how to do it).....
Further Advice/Examples how to configure/modify your grub4dos menu.lst to your liking.....see:
viewtopic.php?t=464

Boot your Device (Hdd or Usb).

peasthope

Post by peasthope »

backi wrote,
'In the Isodata the "live" Folder is everything you need......'

OK, thanks. Google finds instructions in https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/is ... -codes.txt . A link in https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/ would really help. =8~)

The "porteus boot" terminology might baffle and deter a novice but that method (1) is really no more difficult than method (2).
Once the page is found, neither method is difficult. In case the instructions can be revised, I suggest adding a reference explaining "porteus boot" or removing the term. =8~)

Incidentally, the default boot loader in Debian is Grub2. The configuration syntaces of grub4dos and Grub2 differ slightly. =8~)

Regards, ... P.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

First let me applaud the brilliance and dedication demonstrated by your Bullseye build script which I've finally found time to successfully run. [Tip to those interested. I think a decent internet connection is important. I only have access to the Web via wifi. After two failed attempts from the desktop in my basement I ran the script from the laptop on the first floor. The laptop sits 3 feet from a wifi extender. Everything went without a hitch].

Still knowing little about the 'nuts & bolts' of an operating system, I opted to use the GUI. But frankly, I still wasn't certain what was going to be in the resulting operating system. I made 'educated' guesses. But that they were guesses is the problem.

The opening GUI is self-evident: select one of the versions described and click OK. That brought up this GUI:

Gui-panels.png
Gui-panels.png (97.2 KiB) Viewed 3111 times

Figuring out what to do on the "Settings" Panel was also easy: Put checks in boxes if one wants or doesn't want something.
My guesses were that the divisions between "Base Install I", Base Install II", "Extra Install" and the top and bottom panels each of those showed was organizational. That the content of each of the six panels was different; that you could not choose between the Base Installs without manually deleting the content of their respective panels; nor NOT install "Extras" without manually deleting the content of its panels.
In other words, just clicking OK would result in all the files listed anywhere in Base Install I, Base Install II and Extra Install being downloaded and incorporated into the operating system. To add other applications/files required that they be manually added anywhere --anywhere. But also, to NOT include any listed file/application required that it be manually deleted.

Did I guess correctly? If so, maybe there's some way to make things clearer? A specific statement on the initial GUI ? Changing Panel Names?
I know you've included statements such as the one in the screen shot following "Base Install 2". But currently, that placement suggests that it ONLY applies to that Section.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Mike !

mikeslr wrote:

In other words, just clicking OK would result in all the files listed anywhere in Base Install I, Base Install II and Extra Install being downloaded and incorporated into the operating system.

Yes that's correct, all packages listed in different tabs will be installed.

This what you're saying I don't really understand:

To add other applications/files required that they be manually added anywhere --anywhere. But also, to NOT include any listed file/application required that it be manually deleted.

Nothing gets deleted, only added/included according to how you did edit the package lists in the GUI. (edit: well, perhaps you mean deleted from the lists (edited))
And to add e.g. .deb files manually, you can check 'Run xterm.." in the settings, add them to the chroot at some point of pause and install (when xterm runs near the end) with e.g. dpkg -i /path/to/mydebpackage but that's not for newcomers, I guess (and not really documented TBH)

Well, I agree it's not perfect, also it requires some logical thinking from the user, e.g. when you choose a Openbox Desktop Environment at first GUI, do NOT remove openbox from the package install list (obviously of course, but just simple example of how things can be broken).

edit: any suggestions how to make things more clear are welcome !
edit2:

I know you've included statements such as the one in the screen shot following "Base Install 2". But currently, that placement suggests that it ONLY applies to that Section.

Ah yes overlooked that, will think about how to make clear that it goes for all 'Install' tabs.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Mike,

Some random thoughts.

Maybe try adding to one of the very minimal installs instead of trying to subtract from one of the large full featured ones at first to see how it works.

The thing that will trip you up is putting in a bad package name and then having to figure it out. w-scan instead of w_scan (or is it visa versa) has gotten me more than once.

It only downloads the packages once and then saves them, so after the first successful run the bandwidth needs are not nearly as high.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@mikeslr No reply ?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:55 pm

@mikeslr No reply ?

Sorry, didn't think one was necessary. I had mentioned that "Everything went without a hitch." Perhaps I should have made it clearer that I was seeking guidance for the next time if I chose not to just click OK.
Basically, your replay to my post confirmed my understanding of how to use build script.

My gratuitous suggestion that

"maybe there's some way to make things clearer? A specific statement on the initial GUI ? Changing Panel Names? ...I know you've included statements such as the one in the screen shot following "Base Install 2". But currently, that placement suggests that it ONLY applies to that Section."

was just a suggestion to relocate the "Note, the separate sections below are just to give a better overview of the application types..." . I could have been clearer. :oops:

What I had in mind, FWIW, was to include in the opening GUI a notice that 'the separate sections following are just to give a better overview of the application types. It makes no difference where...".
And perhaps change the titles of the Sections labeled "Base Install 1" and "Base Install 2" to "Base Part 1" and "Base Part 2".

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

edit: 10-5-22 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi9dy1l3dit0g ... m.iso?dl=1

root@LaptopDog:/live/image/TVPulseAudioBullseye/live# md5sum 10-5-22-.Clean.xz.ChromelessBullseyePulseDog-custom.iso
c047e0b99f1027aed0f410e36aa33cc8  10-5-22-.Clean.xz.ChromelessBullseyePulseDog-custom.iso

Continued from the discussion in the bookworm thread. viewtopic.php?p=52617#p52617 This worked in bookworm too, but I'm going to use Bullseye, so I think this is better here.

These are the instructions how to build a systemd debian dog with pulse audio enable as "system" so it works with all users including root, along with all the settings to make bluetooth "just work" with all users, including root and apps using run-as-user. It hands off the pulseaudio task to a another user "pulse" instead of just running it as root which seems to be an intended design (despite the constant warnings of certain impending gloom and doom :-) ) and should make some apps happier. It seems better than tricking it to run as root being a regular user.

It was somewhat done by trial and error without understanding everything, so don't assume it is secure in any meaningful way.

I've attached the build_setup.conf file if you want to see that, but what I did to create it was run the mklive script in gui mode with the default minimal openbox, removed firefox, and added my extra packages in the firmware and extra dog apps sections.

There is a lot of stuff that didn't apply to pulseaudio/bluetooth,
the ones I think we actually needed are:

"vlc pulseaudio blueman pavucontrol pulseaudio-module-bluetooth bluetooth run-as-user"

I started with the basic openbox, deleted firefox and a few other things, and installed vlc plus just the pulse audio and bluetooth stuff.

I had it pause and run the terminal at the end of the mklive script. From the terminal, I did the following (I ran leafpad and pcmanfm from the terminal as needed):

1. Make below into /usr/lib/systemd/system/pulseaudio.service file and save. (you may have to create the .../system directory)

[Unit]
Description=PulseAudio system server

[Service]
Type=notify
ExecStart=pulseaudio --daemonize=no --system --realtime --log-target=journal

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

2. rename /usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service file to something else (may not be needed)

2.Edit Client conf /etc/pulse/client.conf and add below:

default-server = /var/run/pulse/native
autospawn = no

3. Add users to groups.

root, puppy, and pulse are the users.
pulse, pulse-access, audio, and bluetooth are the groups

adduser root pulse-access
adduser puppy pulse-access

[and so on]

This is what you want to end up wtih.

root@live:~# groups root
root : root pulse-access
root@live:~# groups puppy
puppy : puppy disk cdrom sudo audio video plugdev fuse wheel bluetooth pulse-access
root@live:~# groups pulse
pulse : pulse audio bluetooth

4. at top of /etc/pulse/system.pa, add:

load-module module-bluetooth-discover
load-module module-bluetooth-policy

per

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... systemmode

5. Let finish
6. Boot. Then, in a terminal window:

systemctl --system enable pulseaudio.service
systemctl --system start pulseaudio.service
systemctl --system status pulseaudio.service

8. save2flash, reboot, remaster.

9. When you pair a new device, disconnect it and connect it again to finish the setup and use it.

Links I referred to:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/667 ... un-as-root

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/495 ... pulseaudio

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... ystemWide/

https://gist.github.com/bxabi/5295beadb ... ervice-L10

edit: See this post for a substitute "run-as-user" script that you can paste into /usr/local/bin. It can be run stand alone or you can just add "run-as-pulseguest" in place of "ddliveapp" or "run-as-user" in the exec line of any .desktop file and put a copy in /root/.local/shared/applications. https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 853#p55853

Last edited by dancytron on Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 27 times in total.
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

How do I make an install with slim auto login or uninstall slim and have it auto login?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:53 pm

How do I make an install with slim auto login or uninstall slim and have it auto login?

In /etc/slim.conf make it (for root autologin):
default_user root
auto_login yes
------------------------------------------------------
Nice pulseaudio howto, BTW :thumbup2:

peebee

Post by peebee »

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

peebee wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am

FYI - Youtube video:

DogLinux: A Puppy Linux On Steroids Or Drugs And Debian 11

Thanks for mentioning anyway.
But must say that this video makes no sense, it's demo of Debian Dog Jessie (based on Debian 8, from 7 years ago) but mentioned as Debian 11, and much of the info about it is incorrect.
Better skip this. :thumbdown:

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I updated the post on making a systemd/pulseaudio/bluetooth version and put up a minimal no browser sample .iso.

viewtopic.php?p=52790&sid=e533d4fbdcd9c ... f10#p52790

Last edited by dancytron on Mon May 02, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Fred,

Could you just double check my modification of your "run-as-user" script and see if it should do what I want without unintended consequences, which is to look for an id it won't find (werewolf) and then on first run create a new id pulseguest, and after that use pulseguest when invoked in a script or exec line of a .desktop file?

Attachments
run-as-pulseguest.gz
remove .gz
(3.11 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:56 pm

Fred,

Could you just double check my modification of your "run-as-user" script and see if it should do what I want without unintended consequences, which is to look for an id it won't find (werewolf) and then on first run create a new id pulseguest, and after that use pulseguest when invoked in a script or exec line of a .desktop file?

It looks good and works well, I tested with google-chrome (edited /root/.local/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop to Exec=run-as-pulseguest google-chrome .... ...) and it's running as user pulseguest OK.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@dancytron, @fredx181,

I am going to try this "run-as-user" script on KLV-Airedale-beta13 to see if it works. Perhaps it might be useful in the multi-user environment in KLV

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:05 am
dancytron wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:56 pm

Fred,

It looks good and works well, I tested with google-chrome (edited /root/.local/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop to Exec=run-as-pulseguest google-chrome .... ...) and it's running as user pulseguest OK.

Great. I'll try to update my post with correct permissions and the script later...

edit: added the correct permissions to original post.

edit again: added a quick explanation on how to install the run-as-pulseguest script to existing sample iso at bottom of original post. Will update the sample iso if there is any interest.

Original post: viewtopic.php?p=52790&sid=e533d4fbdcd9c ... f10#p52790

spotted

Post by spotted »

@fredx181, Just some small niggles that I would liked improved.
I cannot get a clipboard app to work, I want to have clipboard in my tray. I download news items I want to read and read them with dillo the next morning. With dillo one has to highlight any text then use clipboard to paste where needed.
Nicking qlipper from Fatdog just dont work.
I would like to have Rox filer as a option for a file manager but debian version is no where as configurable in Fatdog. Although a single pane app, I like the way it works. With caja or pcman one has to go clicking all over the place to bring up two panes anyway, might as well use Rox.
Can you tell me how to build a rox filer like in Fatdog.
Could you tell me where all your apps are, I might be missing something I could use.

Return to “DebianDogs”