General tips when browsing the internet

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

General tips when browsing the internet

Post by amethyst »

I'll mention a few which works or me (these have been mentioned before but having it in one thread is beneficial): -

On numerous occasions clicking a link on a website leads to an external site plus a few advertising sites opening up despite the best ad blocker you may use in my experience (crypto currency trading sites, etc). It often helps to instead of left-clicking a link, rather right-click and choose "open in new tab/(private)window". A quick double left-click often also works wonders. Also, if it's a download link rather right-click and choose the save options. A quick double left-click also often works well in this scenario. This often bypasses some nasty and unwanted crap.

The official youtube site is heavy and you have a problem with ads playing before your requested video. Search engines like DuckDuckGO and Bing have "embedded" players so you can watch your videos without going to the youtube site for example. No ads before paying the videos either. Another way is to change your browser's general user agent settings for sites like youtube. You can change it so your computer is identified as a mobile device which will result in mobile versions of sites being displayed instead. I've done this with youtube and the mobile youtube site will open. You can play your videos with no ads and the youtube mobile site is "light" and fast.

Feel free to add.......

jfw01

Re: General tips when browsing the internet

Post by jfw01 »

change your browser's general user agent settings for sites like youtube

Ok, thanks. Which browsers have good support for per-site user agent? How does a person enable it? What are your favourite user agent strings?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

jfw01 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:35 am

change your browser's general user agent settings for sites like youtube

Ok, thanks. Which browsers have good support for per-site user agent? How does a person enable it? What are your favourite user agent strings?

I've changed this with Palemoon and Firefox before. Palemoon is very easy to do because there are already a few overrides stipulated (including for youtube) and it allows for different settings to different sites. So in Palemoon: type about:config in search bar > search for "general.useragent.override" > go to the youtube override one and change the value to "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543 Safari/419.3" > restart browser
You can create new entries for more sites. I do it for youtube only. BTW: I think there is also an add-on available to do this temporarily during a session but haven't used it, I just read it somewhere.....

xenial

Post by xenial »

Youtube is a bit of an issue on pale moon browser at the moment as it requires custom google elements which are not implemented in pale moon just yet hence the need for another browser just for that purpose.

Unfortunately one size does not fit all.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

xenial wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:14 am

Youtube is a bit of an issue on pale moon browser at the moment as it requires custom google elements which are not implemented in pale moon just yet hence the need for another browser just for that purpose.

Unfortunately one size does not fit all.

I just want to watch the videos, I don't care about other crap.

xenial

Post by xenial »

@amethyst
It may not be that straight forward and youtube is a google service and naturally they will favour their own browser,whether it is intentional that other browsers become restricted is another matter but as of now pale moon is struggling to render the youtube site correctly and in my mind it will only get worse.

Pale moon runs videos ok in DDG for example but the main youtube site is damn near impossible in pale moon.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

xenial wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:36 am

@amethyst
It may not be that straight forward and youtube is a google service and naturally they will favour their own browser,whether it is intentional that other browsers become restricted is another matter but as of now pale moon is struggling to render the youtube site correctly and in my mind it will only get worse.

Pale moon runs videos ok in DDG for example but the main youtube site is damn near impossible in pale moon.

Strange, works for me with Palemoon without issues although the main site is a resource hog no matter what browser you use (I also tried Chromium and Firefox). I do however mostly use the mobile site these days or play videos via DuckDuckGo or Bing.

xenial

Post by xenial »

@amethyst
You're right that youtube is very heavy on most sites.
Does youtube have a mobile version which is lighter on the resources.?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

xenial wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:12 am

@amethyst
You're right that youtube is very heavy on most sites.
Does youtube have a mobile version which is lighter on the resources.?

Yes but not with all the functions of the main site. Much lighter.

xenial

Post by xenial »

Do you have a link please for the mobile version of youtube.?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

xenial wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:18 am

Do you have a link please for the mobile version of youtube.?

You need to change your browser's user agent to access the mobile site. See here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic ... 517#p52517

Return to “Users”