imppup / indripup 64bit ... alpha

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Re: Jammypup, almost 9.7a

Post by Clarity »

Grey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:44 pm

...If you have the time and desire, please check how it works on different video cards.

Very responsive on this 2014 all Intel i5 desktop.
Booted the ISO file, directly after download, via the following...without issues on booting to desktop

• QEMU

• SG2D USB stick

Save session & reboot finding the session in the /Sessions folder on the HDD via PSAVE=sdaX:/Sessions/ <=== location where ALL my sessions are saved after an initial boot (pristine).

Initial tests and needs are working without issues.

Lovely work! And, looking forward as this alpha progresses to the April GA.

P.S. Please announce, as this progresses from release to release, if you advise that we should 'upgrade' the save-session or restart pristine.

dimkr

Re: imppup / indripup 64bit ... alpha

Post by dimkr »

666philb wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:53 am

what you'll find now (as is happening in my builds) is builds will break as ubuntu are updating packages such as python3.9 to 3.10 and libicu67 > 70

The worst change is that Firefox becomes a dummy package that installs the Firefox snap. I got apt to work just fine in a Puppy built using jammy packages (http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5290) but snap relies on systemd and it's broken on Puppy, so users must use the official Firefox tarball or something.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Off-topic: But since it is mentioned, I wonder when PUPPY will get off this systemd war its gotten into. All hardware manufacturers are working to support. At what point will this war subside and we move on beyond it?

Oh well.

P.S. PLEASE, this is NOT an attack on anyone. It is an observation of a general mood noticed across the forum. Yes, I know systemD is the newest and has growing pains. Please dont feel attacked.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

dimkr wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:10 pm

what you'll find now (as is happening in my builds) is builds will break as ubuntu are updating packages such as python3.9 to 3.10 and libicu67 > 70

The worst change is that Firefox becomes a dummy package that installs the Firefox snap. I got apt to work just fine in a Puppy built using jammy packages (http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5290) but snap relies on systemd and it's broken on Puppy, so users must use the official Firefox tarball or something.

snap works to download firefox and a simple renaming to .sfs enables you to load it. it's binaries aren't in the path though /usr/lib/firefox and it's desktop file is in /

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Clarity wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:34 pm

Off-topic: But since it is mentioned, I wonder when PUPPY will get off this systemd war its gotten into. All hardware manufacturers are working to support. At what point will this war subside and we move on beyond it?

War? Hardware manufacturers? :?

@Clarity, are you a bot?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Clarity wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:34 pm

Oh well.

P.S. PLEASE, this is NOT an attack on anyone. It is an observation of a general mood noticed across the forum. Yes, I know systemD is the newest and has growing pains. Please dont feel attacked.

It's not a war IMO, just a matter of preference. Use systemd ? Fine ! Use something else ? Fine too !
But... must say, I really don't like when we are being forced to use systemd, e.g packages depending on it... bad !

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @fredx181 for not taking it personal.

And, I see, clearly what you share. Thanks.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @Grey

So far, after a day's use, this is the only problem that needs addressing that I can find.

Seems some of SAMBA's services are not behaving as shown below.

Code: Select all

root# findsmb
/usr/bin/nmblookup: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.67: undefined symbol: icudt67_dat

*=DMB
                                +=LMB
IP ADDR         NETBIOS NAME     WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
root# 

Continuing use to discover other items

Grey

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:39 pm

libicuuc.so.67

And here libicu has made itself felt. At the same time, there are both 67 and 70 on board. I'm not surprised :) It's okay, in April-May Phil will make his correct version and everything will be fine ;)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

what about making vivaldi the standard browser? i used it for the last 3 pups its wery good imho - runs smooth and fast (much faster than palemoon - i dont care much about it sorry) and i rather like the layout. just a thought :-)

kindly Gnimmelf

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Gnimmelf wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:34 am

what about making vivaldi the standard browser? i used it for the last 3 pups its wery good imho - runs smooth and fast (much faster than palemoon - i dont care much about it sorry) and i rather like the layout. just a thought :-)

kindly Gnimmelf

hi @Gnimmelf ,

every one has their favourite browser and whichever one was included, someone would prefer a different one :)
palemoon has been the default for a while because of its functionality to size ratio, vivaldi and other chrome based browsers being nearly three times the size.
palemoon 107mb
vivaldi 296mb

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Grey wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:00 am

builds will break as ubuntu are updating packages such as python3.9 to 3.10 and libicu67 > 70

Thanks. I'm still going to use your version. In this case, I was checking the operation of woof-ce :)

This libicu has already managed to spoil my nerves and blood :D

I couldn't do scrolling with the mouse wheel between tabs :(

By the way, which clipboard manager do you like best? CopyQ, Diodon, ClipIt? I think I liked CopyQ. But I'm already used to ClipIt. On the other hand, Diodon seems to be the simplest and cutest for the average user.

tempted by Diodon but a bit more ram heavy than clipit.
my main issue with jammypup at the moment is ram usage

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@peebee, @666philb, @Grey, @01micko: Request to have @gyrog's "make savespec" utility added to either WoofCE generation or to each distro, please. Its an init assist.

It intends to be in the PUP Menus but are is there in current PUPs.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

666philb wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:02 pm

my main issue with jammypup at the moment is ram usage

@666philb Try to add the ram-saver petbuild. It's included in my builds at http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5290, and does wonders. I have an old laptop upgraded to 8 GB of RAM, and it rarely uses more than 1.5 GB of RAM (most of the time, it's below the 1 GB mark), even with many browser tabs. Without ram-saver, RAM consumption is about the same as other distros.

EDIT: libicudata_stub can yield a nice size reduction and libllvm12 no longer needs the huge libz3. So far I was able to shrink my ISO to 258 MB, with UEFI support and a large 5.15.x kernel.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Not sure if I was clear, but SAMBA is broken, including its server feature.

The mount command for access of remote smb resources have been tested and do work, though.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Clarity wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:56 am

Not sure if I was clear, but SAMBA is broken, including its server feature.

The mount command for access of remote smb resources have been tested and do work, though.

hi @Clarity did you try this samba from above? ^^^ http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/te ... _jammy.pet

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @666philb ... Fixed!

Hope this will be part of next build(s).

Grey

Post by Grey »

666philb wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:02 pm

tempted by Diodon but a bit more ram heavy than clipit.

It fits stylistically, because Diodon is a sea fish. And we have a jellyfish. The icon in the system tray will look "like a native" :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

Post by Grey »

@666philb Hello. If you have free time, please check how this kernel works for you: viewtopic.php?t=5391

Vverve

Post by Vverve »

Grey wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:59 pm

@666philb Hello. If you have free time, please check how this kernel works for you: viewtopic.php?t=5391

Hi Grey... test,no mess at shutdown. Both thumb up.

666philb ,
5 months of imppup64 ,i like it, misspelled it 5-6 times yet...

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

As we may be 60 days away from an Ubuntu 'official GA' release, which "Indripup64" distro in this thread would you recommend we continue to test/use. There are 2; namely @666philb's version and @Grey's version...both are WoofCE versions.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Let's call it "version 9.7b" :)
New kernel (5.16.14), new Python (3.10.2), fixed icons in the main menu. For the test, Diodon was added (this is such a fish Image in the system tray), which replaced Clipit as the clipboard manager. Uextract, JWMdesk and something else have been updated. It works for me both in Qemu and on real hardware. The kernel both starts and shuts down normally.

Conky has moved from the upper right to the lower left corner of the screen and is located next to the tail antenna of Robopup. In 1920x1080 resolution it seems to look good. If you want to go back to the upper right corner, then the old configuration file is in /root/.config/conky/conkyrc.bak. Well, if you are a militant aesthete and fastidious and you don't like that the disk icons overlap the tail antenna... Then go to Menu >>Desktop >>JWMdesk >>Icon Manager and change the value in Edge gap (for me, 70 perfectly places icons under the tail :) ).

Recently, a translation of the game It Came from the Desert into good literary Russian was released. So I'll run the Amiga computer emulator and play. Therefore, I probably won't do anything useful for a long time. All hope for @666philb :)
jammypup64-9.7b.iso
devx_jammypup64_9.7b.sfs

jammy_scr_0.jpg
jammy_scr_0.jpg (155.18 KiB) Viewed 3455 times

Grey

Post by Grey »

If someone managed to download, please download the iso again. There was an incorrect link.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.
I gave jammypup64 9.7b a try. It is built in the same way as previous standard puppies I am familiar with. I hope the development of jammypup64 will proceed along this line.

I have noticed that logout_gui does not respond. I mean pressing the buttons does nothing. So, I use lxterminal to "poweroff" or "reboot" the computer. At first logout_gui was functional, but in the course of a session, it became inactive.

Grey

Post by Grey »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:05 am

I have noticed that logout_gui does not respond. I mean pressing the buttons does nothing. So, I use lxterminal to "poweroff" or "reboot" the computer. At first logout_gui was functional, but in the course of a session, it became inactive.

This is an "unofficial" version :) See the last phrase in this post: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 528#p51528

By the way, I'm tired of lxterminal :) I really want to go back to urxvt and its ctrl+space menu.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Grey wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:29 am

This is an "unofficial" version

I know. But after several hours of use, I feel that this version is pretty well organized and it is a pity to forget about the work. Even if 666philb takes the initiative, I think this version will serve as a draft proposal.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Grey wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:29 am

I really want to go back to urxvt and its ctrl+space menu.

No, not like that :) Of course I meant ctrl+right mouse click.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:05 am

Jwmdesk seems to be responsible. Jwmdesk modifies logout_gui, which causes a syntax error. As a result, logout_gui becomes inactive.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Local pirates provided me with a new game Syberia: The World Before. In addition, I managed to launch it in Fossapup+Wine+DXVK.
The pirated version appeared right on the day of release and it's very bad, but very good.
As a fan of the series, I just have to play it (and, accordingly, do nothing in the Puppy area. Again :) ).

The first two parts of the game of the early 2000s were great. The third is some kind of nastiness. Let's see what the fourth one will be. Unfortunately Sokal died and there will be no new games with his participation. The new fourth just has to be interesting. I was told that the main character became a lesbian, although in the first parts she definitely had a fiance. Well, nothing, 2-3 holes in the script and plot I can forgive and endure :roll:

Return to “Puppy Projects”