Vanilla dpup 9.1.X observations

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

dimkr

Re: Vanilla dpup 9.1.X observations

Post by dimkr »

pemasu wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:41 am

If I remove the fat partition, and the hdd does not have any fat partitions left, would the updater update vmlinuz and ucode.cpio where the all .sfs files are ( which are updated fine ) ?

Yes, it should work. It assumes that if you have a FAT32 partition, it's an ESP (because that's pretty much the only excusable use of FAT32 in 2022). If you don't have one, it assumes you're using BIOS boot, and all files are on the same partition.

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

dimkr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:42 am

Looks like suspend.sh has changed through the years - and yes, it's exactly as @pemasu says: it refuses to suspend because you have a flash drive plugged in.

I think we had established the USB part.
However does not explain why suspend.sh also fails when dVpup is booting from HD.
And although not your concern, also does not explain how sevefile escapes. If understood could help to implement in vDpup.
Though acpitool maybe all needed.

Regarding changes in the script the only difference I could see between bionic an vDpup is the addition of the display server detection

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

retiredt00 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:31 am

However does not explain why suspend.sh also fails when dVpup is booting from HD.

Is the flash drive mounted?

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

dimkr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:48 am
retiredt00 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:31 am

Is the flash drive mounted?

In that case yes but without it also fails with xlock complaining about password I guess (see below)
I think though that it makes little sense for any USB, not related to the OS, to be sufficient to block suspend instead of unmounting it.
Also the xlock demand for another encrypted password (if this is indeed the problem in the case below) seems an overkill for puppy.
Thanks again

Code: Select all

4026 root      0:00 sh -x /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh
 4029 root      0:00 busybox ps'
+ grep -qE 'sh[ ].*poweroff'
+ rm -f /tmp/suspend
++ grep '|usb'
++ probedisk2
++ cut '-d|' -f1
+ USBS=
+ sync
+ rmmod ehci_hcd
rmmod: ERROR: Module ehci_hcd is builtin.
+ case "$DISABLE_LOCK" in
++ pidof labwc
+ '[' -n '' -a -n '' ']'
+ '[' -n :0 ']'
+ xlock -startCmd 'echo mem > /sys/power/state'
/root/.xlockrc: null encrypted password 
+ modprobe ehci_hcd
+ rm -f /tmp/acpi_suspend-flg
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

rm ~/.xlockrc should fix this.

An empty ~/.xlockrc can happen on power failure after the file was created and before it was flushed to disk.

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

dimkr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:18 am

rm ~/.xlockrc should fix this.

Indeed!
However, in the absence of ~/.xlockrc, xlock requires a password/key to be setup.
If suspend.sh is run in the background it results in a frozen computer with xlock waiting for the “key” setup.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

retiredt00 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:11 pm

However, in the absence of ~/.xlockrc, xlock requires a password/key to be setup.

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2953 will fix this.

Ramachandra Iyer

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

Dear Guru

Upon update from Vanilla dpup 9.1.10 to 9.1.11 keyboard and mouse not working. Later I have updated 9.1.12 after wiping out entire contents in Vanilla Partition. Booted from Vanilla Dpup 9.1.12. Everything looks fine. It looks more polished than ever in all respects. Installed chromium browser through Synaptic and everything working fine. I have also installed Canon Network Printer cum Photostat machine on static IP. Initially showed error. it shows ""Stopped - Filter failed". On Googling, required to install libcupsimage2. (apt-get install libcupsimage2) and also empty this directory /var/spool/cups. Voila. Now posting from Vanilla Dpup and using my daily office works.

Kudus to Shri Dimkr. :thumbup:

Last edited by rockedge on Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed emoticon
Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Hello Dimkr! Is there a way to adjust the brightness of the PC screen, via software, using Wayland? The brightness app only works on Xorg. Thanks for listening! While browsing the Internet, my tired eyes cry out for help! :shock:

Attachments
eyes.jpg
eyes.jpg (17.8 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Last edited by Duprate on Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Duprate wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:53 pm

Hello Dimkr! Is there a way to adjust the brightness of the PC screen, via software, using Wayland? The brightness app only works on Xorg. Thanks for listening! While browsing the Internet, my tired eyes cry out for help! :thumbup:

"brightness app" - what application is it? How do I get it?

The brightness keys should work normally under Xwayland, the same way they do under X.Org.

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Good question! I use a version used here in "puppy universe". I use it on all distros installed on my PC! Developed by musher0 / fredx181. I'm sending you a copy! :oops:

Attachments
brightness.tar.gz
(6.29 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Duprate

Post by Duprate »

... In wayland, commands are inoperative ...
I'm not asking to modify the system for the sake of brightness control.
Just asking if you know of an alternative that works with wayland...

Attachments
control.png
control.png (26.56 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Duprate wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:50 pm

AFAIK an alternative is not needed, because brightness controls work normally (at least, in all computers I tried).

AFAIK brightnessctl uses the kernel directly (via /sys), and doesn't have to go through X to change brightness.

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

dimkr wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:55 am

AFAIK an alternative is not needed, because brightness controls work normally (at least, in all computers I tried).

AFAIK brightnessctl uses the kernel directly (via /sys), and doesn't have to go through X to change brightness.

Hi!
Your way of controlling brightness (same as FatDog64's way) doesn't work for me either, either in Vanilla Dpup's Xorg or Wayland mode, as well as in FatDog in Xorg. Perhaps the cause is the Samsung SyncMaster BX2250 monitor I use!

What works for me on any distro is Fredx181's SCT Brightness, as long as I'm using Xorg!

Thanks for listening! :thumbup2:

Attachments
bright.jpg
bright.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Ramachandra Iyer

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

After updating to latest one my keyboard is not functioning. What is to be done. This is my office HP laptop. I am still tinkering with my SSD HP laptop!.I don't know how to proceed further

wdt

Post by wdt »

Man still does not work, I would install konqueror (the best man page viewer by far), pulls in too much
A serious bug, maybe only my hw, gigabyte b550 ds3h-ac, the bluetoooth, intel AC 3168-29
This is m2 connected, installed by manufacture, twice now, 1st boot .11 and .15
1st boot sees it, but no connection, susbsequent boots, it's gone, also gone in hcitool and bluetoothctl
Also in other distro boots, no bt adapter. Eventually something 'wakes' it up, I don't know what,
then it works OK in everything. I know little about bluetooth, this is MOST disconcerting
In the bios there is NO reference to the wifi/bt, I've looked hard

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Try to run rfkill list - if you don't see your Bluetooth adapter (probably hci0), it's probably not detected properly. If it's "soft blocked", this means it's disabled (right-click the tray icon and enable it). If it's "hard blocked", you probably used the keyboard shortcut that disables Bluetooth, or have it disabled in BIOS/UEFI.

wdt

Post by wdt »

Yes, I did rfkill (not there), also dmesg |grep blue
After it woke, I'm not sure how, maybe with pclinuxOS, it just works,
in all distros
And, it is not just the lack of firmware ,,
/lib/firmware/intel/ibt-hw-37.8.10-fw-22.50.19.14.f.bseq
but also some interrelation with the wifi driver
It is not a laptop, no keyboard toggle
It doesn't show anywhere in bios, I would have thought in m2 section, but only nvme
When I manually placed bt firmware (in /lib/firm....) then the wifi stopped working

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wdt wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:54 am

After it woke, I'm not sure how, maybe with pclinuxOS, it just works,

Is there any distro where Bluetooth works for you? What kernel version does it have (uname -r)?

EDIT: if it's a new AMD-powered system, you might want to try http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 002#p51002 (warning: beta quality), it uses a newer kernel with extra drivers

wdt

Post by wdt »

Sorry, slow reply, partly site was down
PClos 5.15.13
Devuan 5.10.0-12
MX 5.10.0-13
All work OK, IIRR devuan needed bluetoothctl for initial pairing
pclos had a lot of trouble with nvme, something odd with this mb
With vDpup, this 1st boot showed icon, couldn't pair (mouse), didn't try bluetoothctl, just rebooted
Then, no bluetooth, not in bluetoothctl, hcitool, rfkill (or icon) in ALL installs
I cycled thru booting all 3 above going what the h.ll, twice IIRR then icon was there
I didn't do anything to "wake" the bt, and in all distros remembered the previous mouse pairing
And, after it was "woke", worked OK in vDpup, even without firmware load
(the firmware only comes with non-free)
Obviously if the bt was a usb dongle, I would have just replugged.......
I did pull power and press power button, did not pull coin battery
BTW, all 3 above have identical firmware for wifi and bt

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

It's been quiet here for some time, because I'm very busy with other woof-CE work. But if look at the changelog, I still cherry-pick fixes from woof-CE into 9.1.x, and the 9.0.x release automation is still active.

Those of you who have issues with hardware support and use new hardware, try Vanilla Upup (viewtopic.php?t=5290): if everything works well, I can start a Vanilla Dpup 9.2.x that's identical to 9.1.x, but uses a newer 5.15.x kernel.

Balkonsky

Post by Balkonsky »

Installed vanilladpup-9.1.21-ext4-2gb-uefi.img.gz on an USB stick, and got following return during boot:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

Just in case someone might experience the same. If preferred, can open an issue on Github.

P.S.
Always been an admirer of your sophisticated work, @dimkr, since earliest iguleder times!

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Balkonsky wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:21 pm

Do you boot in UEFI mode or BIOS mode?

Balkonsky

Post by Balkonsky »

dimkr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:00 pm
Balkonsky wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:21 pm

Do you boot in UEFI mode or BIOS mode?

Using an iMac 2019 (a gift yet with several dongled/unusable components under Linux), which uses EFI, so the answer is UEFI mode.
Utilizing rEFInd, I am able to run a few distro images (e.g. Siduction Linux, Manjaro, or EasyOS), yet many, many other .iso-images just won't even show up for boot selection.

Hopefully this info helps. Don't feel pushed to support not ideal Linux hardware. Thanks.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Did you put the correct root= parameter?

wiak

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:55 am

I just installed weedogit version 9.1.22 onto the internal nvme SSD of my newish HP Probook 430 G8 laptop that has secure boot enabled on it. Booted from Puppy grub2 I have on usb stick (with puppy.cer enrolled in UEFI BIOS) and booted fine and I can remove the usb stick after booting since only using that for its grub2.

I was just about to ask same question as Duprate since brightness was hurting my eyes, but on this laptop I can confirm the keyboard brightness keys work fine. I'm used to XFCE just now where clicking on battery icon brings up a brightness slider - KLV-Airedale provides something similar on taskbar icon (which is a nice but certainly not essential feature). I note (and like) that WinKey(Super) left/right works to tile app window left or right, though Super+up/down didn't have expected similar effect - maybe that is configurable? I use such tiling effects a lot generally when working with business-related spreadsheets and at other times during dev work too.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@wiak JWM is pre-configured with Super+arrow key combinations. If you want to change JWM's key bindings, look at ~/.jwmrc and the files under ~/.jwm.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”