Setup a fileserver/NAS or file share for Android phone connection

Moderator: Forum moderators

wizard

Setup a fileserver/NAS or file share for Android phone connection

Post by wizard »

This was originally written on how to setup a file server, but would also apply to just creating a file share to access with an Android device. Puppy Slacko 6.3 is used in the example, but the same tools and method should work for any of the new 64 bit Puppies. Slacko 6.3 would be better on older 32bit hardware.
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... er#p984513

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

April

Re: Setup a fileserver/NAS or file share for Android phone connection

Post by April »

Well what I most importantly want to know is how to get your messages and contacts copied off your phone to anywhere as long as its not in public like the so called cloud.

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

PUP/DOGs alike have SAMBA built in. If you have started SAMBA via Menu>Network>Samba Management you have a share available on your home network for have client (ANY SMB Clients) access and transfer information to your SAMBA system.

So, this means that ALL Windows, ALL Macs, ALL Linux, ALL Androids, ... can move files to an from you SAMBA system.

The ONLY client machine requirement is that it is on the SAME LAN as your SAMBA PC. This means same IP subnet as your SAMBA PC.

In my 10 years of Android use, I have NEVER used a USB cable to connect for file transfer, except for a test. You do this over Wifi using your Android SMB client. USB connect is NOT required and SAMBA connect seems faster with no limits of what I want to transfer.

Hope this is helpful

EDIT: Complete instructions with picture-steps for following are here. <=== Click

Last edited by Clarity on Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Just download ftp server app on Android Phone and install gftp on Puppy.

Run the ftp server on phone and get the ip address and port

Enter ip address and port number of your phone on gftp and you are good to go

Make sure that your phone and your computer are on the same network

Return to “Network/Server”