Spoof, Randomize device, random all possible - mac, ip, cpu, gpu, etc. Where best for puppylinux ?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Phoenix

Re: Randomize device, random all possible - mac, ip, cpu, gpu, etc. Where best for puppylinux ?

Post by Phoenix »

Pardon me, but I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. Do you want puppylinux to work on any device? Or do you want to be able to change mac addresses or something?

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

Phoenix

Re: Spoof, Randomize device, random all possible - mac, ip, cpu, gpu, etc. Where best for puppylinux ?

Post by Phoenix »

You can set the MAC address via ip or ifconfig. The only difference is that ip is considered more modern. (Well puppy's version of it isn't exactly up to date but it will do for most things)

Code: Select all

ifconfig <network interface> <mac address>
## OR
ip link set dev <network interface> addr <addr>

Now I'm not certain why you would want to fake the battery as always full, and I don't think you can do that. (Well unless you build modules/write for the kernel, such as here which is warned to possibly cause kernel panics https://github.com/hoelzro/linux-fake-battery-module). For changing user-agents on a regular time basis you might need an extension to do that. For hardware you might need to mount over the relevant files temporarily, but it may cause undesired effects because other applications are fooled by it. As well the fingerprinting uses CSS and JS to check for whether a browser supports somethig, so you'll have to intercept or know them in advance to return something else.

Also, what is puppylinux direct? Never heard of this browser.

EDIT:

You also need to bring the interface offline/off before you change it, then bring it up again. You can do this via ifconfig <interface> down and then ifconfig <interface> up

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

JASpup

Re: Spoof, Randomize device, random all possible - mac, ip, cpu, gpu, etc. Where best for puppylinux ?

Post by JASpup »

I believe in the general subject, but it requires security expertise to understand.

Wal-Mart does not like my spoofed user agents. I can use an older Firefox (authentic) than a newer Chromium-base. How do they know?

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Phoenix :-

Phoenix wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:28 am

Pardon me, but I'm not sure what you're trying to ask...

Jeez. You and me BOTH, mate.

In case you haven't yet figured him out, puppytrue, since he appeared on the forum last year some time, wants to make himself as anonymous as possible. He wants to apply every known techique out there to Puppy Linux, and - furthermore - he thinks we're going to run our asses ragged, rushing around, writing scripts and compiling applications JUST FOR HIM.

He isn't prepared to put the slightest bit of effort in himself. Consequently, most of his "requests" fall on deaf ears..... :roll:

Mike. :|

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:26 pm

@Phoenix :-

Phoenix wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:28 am

Pardon me, but I'm not sure what you're trying to ask...

Jeez. You and me BOTH, mate.

In case you haven't yet figured him out, puppytrue, since he appeared on the forum last year some time, wants to make himself as anonymous as possible. He wants to apply every known techique out there to Puppy Linux, and - furthermore - he thinks we're going to run our asses ragged, rushing around, writing scripts and compiling applications JUST FOR HIM.

He isn't prepared to put the slightest bit of effort in himself. Consequently, most of his "requests" fall on deaf ears..... :roll:

Mike. :|

Oh, I "hear" the requests, LOL...I just choose to ignore them and delete some that get thrown around the various forum topics,
sort of like "Throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks", a scattergun (look that one up if needed, hehe) technique.
"Puppy forum? Where post non-sense? Who make .pet , sfs , iso?"
:D :lol:

(Bad Wiz!!! Evil, wicked, mean and nasty Wiz! :twisted: )

Signature available upon request

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Wiz57 :-

Heh. Indeedy....."nasty" Wiz!! :lol:

I don't think the guy (girl? no telling!) has the faintest comprehension of what a community actually is, and does. I suspect the concept of helping others out has gone clear over their head. All I see is a never-ending list of demands....which are getting steadily more outlandish as time goes by.

I've yet to see a single positive contribution from this individual. I mean, there IS a certain amount of give-and-take involved in ANY community.....has to be, really.

Heigh-ho.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Users”