KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by bigpup »

Alpha 12

I do wonder if these items need to be showing in the desktop right click menu.

Create SFS
Create XBPS package

Those seem more for the file manager right click menu.
When you right click on a folder and want to turn it into a SFS or a XBPS package.

how big.
That too seems something to be in the file manager right click menu.
Seems to show how big the desktop folder is.

Pfind here
Opens with selection search current directory which is the desktop directory.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by rockedge »

I am testing @wiak 's latest Skeleton initrd.gz version v502-rc2 and the matching w_init in an alpha12 in a few variations.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:50 pm

I am testing @wiak 's latest Skeleton initrd.gz version v502-rc2 and the matching w_init in an alpha12 in a few variations.

Should be no difference in current KLV-airedale operation at all. But potential difference comes if you want to use a huge kernel modules combination that comes with modules sfs in /usr/lib/modules organisation rather than older Puppy-style /lib/modules form. However, since initrd.gz was originally designed with feature to use traditional Puppy modules sfs (as 00modules) it defaults to expecting the 00modules to be in /lib/modules organisation rather than /usr/lib/modules in 00modules sfs.

I already had code in initrd to allow /usr/lib/modules format for 00modules, but had a bug in it - that's all I changed/fixed. Note that if a new 00modules came in /usr/lib/modules organisation form you would need to add the following to your grub kernel line: fwmod=usrlib
However, current KLV uses 00modules in /lib/modules organisation so no fwmod paramater is required on the kernel line (i.e. no change required to use new initrd.gz since lib rather than usr/lib is the expected default for 00modules organisation). Later, if usrlib becomes more likely it will probably be better that initrd uses usrlib as the default, but no reason at the moment.

Mistakes can creep in of course so I'll do a diff between the old initrd/init and the latest to make sure I haven't accidentally done anything at all other than the minor bugfix I think I've done (it was late and if I fell asleep on the keyboard goodness knows what and where I could have accidentally inserted some key presses... accidents can happen... but hopefully all fine).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

wiak wrote:

I already had code in initrd to allow /usr/lib/modules format for 00modules, but had a bug in it - that's all I changed/fixed.

I noticed this bug when using the 00modules.sfs from the newest and latest Puppy Linux kernels. Some devices would not work until I swapped back in the modules SFS from a 5.4+ series kernel.

I have uploaded and made available KLV-Airedale-alpha13
(see first post)

which includes @fredx181's small script to enable using a swap partition, which is run at system start up.
Also includes tzupdate2 which I find is working very well.

/root/my-applications/bin/swapper.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# utility by fredx181 Jan2022
#### Load swap ####
 echo "LOAD SWAP"
  for ONESWAP in `fdisk -l | grep ' Linux swap' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | tr '\n' ' '`
  do
    echo -n "Loading swap partition $ONESWAP..." >/dev/console
    swapon $ONESWAP
  done
#########################

#### Create symlink /mnt/home ####
MNTHOME=$(mount | grep "/mnt/layers/merged/mnt" |  cut -d'/' -f3 | cut -d' ' -f1)
ln -sf /mnt/$MNTHOME /mnt/home
#########################

which is triggered at system startup by:
/root/Startup/start_swapper

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
swapper.sh
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Well, I've given up on using KLV as a base for daVinci Resolve. It'll launch.....but that's all it'll do.

I had an older version of this working a couple of years ago, which I was trying to turn into a 'portable', though that didn't work out.

BlackMagic have made several distinctive & detrimental changes to Resolve. Changes to even this, the free version......the biggest of which is it now insists on the nVidia proprietary drivers. That in itself wouldn't be insurmountable, but Resolve is insisting on one specific version of the driver. One under which my GPU is not supported.

As if that wasn't enough, it now expects to find several of BlackMagic's own, proprietary-designed studio editing consoles attached to the system, ready to work with it. Essentially, this is their way of saying to prospective users "Our software is 'pro' stuff.....so be prepared to dig deep if ya wanna use it".

Not me..!! :roll: (Nice thought while it lasted, mind.....)

Mike. Image

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

KLV v13a - Tested without issues:

1. BIOS boots

• QEMU
      SG2D
      Ventoy

2. UEFI boots

• QEMU
      SG2D
      Ventoy direct
      SG2D via Ventoy

3. DVD boot

SAMBA and the Shutdown subsytem creates Save-Session without issue in ALL cases. Session found without issues on reboots.

Nothing major to report in current multiple PC tests.

Brilliant work!

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:51 am
wiak wrote:

I already had code in initrd to allow /usr/lib/modules format for 00modules, but had a bug in it - that's all I changed/fixed.

I noticed this bug when using the 00modules.sfs from the newest and latest Puppy Linux kernels. Some devices would not work until I swapped back in the modules SFS from a 5.4+ series kernel.

I am presuming you are just indicating that you had noticed the earlier issue (small bug in previous WDL initrd/init) that should be now fixed?

Just to explain the issue and grub kernel parameter involved to make sure everyone understands:

By default, older Pups put their zdrv modules in directory /lib/modules, whereas the likes of Arch Linux and Void Linux adopted a different filesystem hierarchy where /lib is simply a symlink to /usr/lib (and similarly /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin). In other words most system libs (and kernel modules subdirectory) in Arch and Void all end up in /usr/lib.

Since WDL initrd was specially designed (back when it was) to be able to work with Puppy huge kernels with an external 00modules.sfs addon (rather than having to copy the modules into the initrd), by default it expects the external 00modules.sfs to have the modules in traditional Puppy location /lib/modules and the script auto-adjusts to use them in correct Void Linux's /usr/lib/modules location. As I say, that is the default. However:

Modern Pups (and Debian too I believe) have more recently moved to adopt the Arch Linux and Void Linux type hierarchy, so the zdrv in modern Pups tends to now put modules in /usr/lib/modules (rather than /lib/modules). Of course, that means WDL initrd has to be told about that being the case if a modern Pup 00modules.sfs is being given to it. That is done via a grub config kernel line parameter, which is fwmod (don't worry about the naming convention - I had my reason at the time...). So if wanting WDL initrd to use an external provided 00modules.sfs from a modern Pup that has that /usr/lib/modules hierarch, then you MUST include on the grub kernel line the following extra parameter: fwmod=usrlib

And WDL initrd/init will adjust things accordingly and all should work fine.
Note that no spaces should be in that fwmod=usrlib argument.

Of course, if every distro, including Pups are moving (as it seems) to all adopt the convention of storing modules in /usr/lib/modules rather than in /lib/modules a later version of WDL initrd will be amended to make /usr/lib/modules the default so no fwmod argument will then be required. It's a simple alteration, but I'll leave things as they are for now, but keep the above grub kernel line fwmod=usrlib necessity in mind if you are using a modern Pup huge kernel with its /usr/lib/modules zdrv hierarchy. Then it should work fine.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

include on the grub kernel line the following extra parameter: fwmod=usrlib

Yes that is exactly it. Fixes I believe the problem I had. I will try it out with one of the most recent Puppy Linux kernels I can grab. To get this working and it is simple to swap in an out kernels, KLV will be approaching a Beta.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

I wonder if syncing the time (from package tzupdate) always works, can anyone confirm ?, for me it failed on one machine on my home network, don't know why.
It's the last line in script /usr/local/bin/start-ntpdate that I don't really trust:
ntpdate -s ntp.ubuntu.com
To test (expecting that the timezone is correctly set): ntpdate -q ntp.ubuntu.com (query)
If it gives an error, try: ntpdate -q pool.ntp.org (query) , if that's ok change the last line (to set it to sync):
ntpdate -s pool.ntp.org
And run: start-ntpdate
Or use other time server address as preferred.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@fredx181 your post bring up an overdue issue I have avoided for couple years to post to the forum: Time Server/service subsystem.

Since in this age of modern times, many/most of us have home LANs with multiple PCs for personal/family use. Some/many of us have a 'stable' system running all the time at home. In the past, for me, It was a MS home server that I recently discarded. It provided many useful services...including being a local NTP server where I sourced local PCs to. As you know, this allows it to capture the Atomic clock time and provide that time for use in the home where home PCs can source time, locally, without a need to go out to the internet for accuracy. Further, as you know, all local PCs would operate with the same time for all work that each does. This has major importance in times that files are accessed and saved, etc. meaning important that everyone has matching times for all the work accomplished...no matter who does it.

Thus, this ensures to keep the time properly aligned as EVERYONE is using the same clock VERSUS 1 PC going out and getting the from one source at one time and another going out to a different source causing, in many cases, some time differentials, albeit minor in some cases.

Now that that server is de-commissioned, I have been considering making a PUP that is run all the time as the local time server.

I know FATDOG has an answer as you either make the PC a time server or time client. BUT, could KLV be the local time server?

What is recommended process to do so and what is the client process to access a KLV that is the time server? And, is the time utility geared to accomodate accessing a local NTP time server along with its current ability to get time from the internet?

Thanks in advance for all who understand this question.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Clarity wrote:

Thanks in advance for all who understand this question.

Mmm.. not sure if I understand well.
If you sync the time with e.g. ntpdate on 2 PC's in your network, isn't the time exactly the same then ?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

The issue of LAN time synchronization goes back 3 decades. It is still the same. If you run home NAS or other items, it is important to ensure all are using the exact same clock-times. Different motherboards with different clocks over the multiple changes since PC introductions plus ... contribute to individual time discrepancies not ot mention that if for ANY reason, internet availability, etc.

So, in a nutshell, you would want to take local LAN steps to have everyone working off the same home clock-time and the simplest-best way to control is via a local NTP server. It can be in your router if you have a home-unit (not ISP unit) that allows such OR it can be your NAS if it has the ability OR it can be some unit that's running all the time at home with a NTP server presence for home access. OR ...

The current Psync does not seem to have a feature or a definition for allowing a local NTP server to provide time to the PC as it sends all request into the Internet.

For KLV, a benefit would be for it to have an ability to become the local NTP server after it acquires the atomic clock time by providing the service. The service has little to no impact on the system or the LAN.

Hope this is helpful info.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

P.S. Not being one who designed or can modify Psync, I 'think" a KLV NTP service ability, a very minor add.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Clarity :-

Y'now, we ARE in danger of making a rather large assumption here. And that assumption is that every member of the community is running multiple computers at home.....

I used to have 2, but even the anciente Dell has now been retired, after close on 20 years of faithful service. Leaves me with a single, modern desktop, which is all I need. I have no desire to acquire another one. My days of toting a computer around with me are past. I don't even possess a smart-phone.....I'm that rare creature that doesn't want to be on-line, 24/7, everywhere I go!

Like Fred, I don't quite see the point of this over-complicated method you say you use at home. If every machine on your home LAN is set to use exactly the same time server, then I don't see the issue.....?? I agree with the need to maintain accurate time, but what's the difference between sourcing the time locally, or on-line?

Mike. :?

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:15 am

I agree with the need to maintain accurate time, but what's the difference between sourcing the time locally, or on-line?

Just google... For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

NTP can usually maintain time to within tens of milliseconds over the public Internet, and can achieve better than one millisecond accuracy in local area networks under ideal conditions

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

wiak wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:43 am
mikewalsh wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:15 am

I agree with the need to maintain accurate time, but what's the difference between sourcing the time locally, or on-line?

Just google... For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

NTP can usually maintain time to within tens of milliseconds over the public Internet, and can achieve better than one millisecond accuracy in local area networks under ideal conditions

Ah. O-kay..... 'Nuff said.

So.......what's a few milliseconds between friends..? :D :D

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

KLV-Airedale-beta1 is ready for download! System upgraded and Firefox is v 97.0.

Using @fredx181's tzupdate2 package for auto network time/clock sync
Now includes the small scripts /root/my-applications/bin/swapper.sh and /root/Startup/start_swapper that enables any swap partitions the system can access.

There are some features that need to be added, mainly to customize the Rox filemanager's left and right click options. In similar fashion to what fredx181 did with his package that sets up Thunar right click menus to add some of the many utilities and features.

xdeb is installed and working and so it remains in the rootfs.

See the first post for the download link or look on https://rockedge.org/kernels

THIS TOPIC THREAD IS DEPRECIATED
Please go to -> viewtopic.php?p=50139#p50139

Return to “Specialized”