KLV-Boxer-alpha2 with JWM - ROX

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

KLV-Boxer-alpha2 with JWM - ROX

Post by rockedge »

KLV-Boxer-alpha2 is at it's core the same as KLV-Airedale. Only some utility packages are different., like viewnior instead of ristretto

KLV-Boxer-alpha2

The system is really alpha and no JWM customization utilities are included. This distro is ready for whatever direction one feels like going in.

Screenshot(6).png
Screenshot(6).png (44.16 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
2021-12-29-112905_1024x768_scrot.png
2021-12-29-112905_1024x768_scrot.png (35.08 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Re: KLV-Boxer-alpha2 with JWM - ROX

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 I really like xLunch in this setting. I'm not sure which version it is any more since I packaged one up special for downloading and installing at build script time.

I downloaded what you have to compare. It is some type of .svg icon conversion that is not happening and causes xlunch to use the default "ghost.icon"

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:50 pm

@fredx181 I really like xLunch in this setting. I'm not sure which version it is any more since I packaged one up special for downloading and installing at build script time.

I downloaded what you have to compare. It is some type of .svg icon conversion that is not happening and causes xlunch to use the default "ghost.icon"

Hi rockedge, I don't know really, but in the case of KLV Airedale I think the problem is not about converting .svg to .png (the xfce applications have a .png as icon, so should show in theory) (strange also (in KLV Airedale) is that if you open Thunar in /usr/share/applications lots of .desktop files won't show the icon or real "Name")
Anyway, for info, for converting .svg to .png, librsvg-utils is required to have installed.
I suspect btw, that your xlunch is about the same (downloaded in the old forum ?) as the xbps that i shared today.

keniv

Post by keniv »

Well I've got it to boot to a desktop. That for me is a minor triumph.

The system is really alpha and no JWM customization utilities are included.

Get an error about backgrounds when I get to the desktop (can't remember details) but am guessing it's to do with the above.

Regards,

Ken.
Edit: Rebooted into KLV-Boxer but the error did not reappear. There are images in /usr/share/backgrounds which show up as thumbnails if rox setup to show them. All but one are .jpg the other being .svg. If clicked on any of them I get "no run action" error. On a quick run through many things are working but there still seems to be no firewall. Could I make a request to get a working firewall. I'm afraid that I have to rely on others to do this. I would not know where to start.

Regards,

Ken.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@keniv Good work!

Yes there is a flaw in setting the default background. The error you see is minor, and will be straightened out at some point.

To set the background right click anywhere on the empty space of the desktop and drag something over from /usr/share/backgrounds into the GUI form.

No mime types are yet declared so to set run action right click on the file, for example test_example.jpg and then in the GUI form type "viewnior" or drag and drop the binary into the GUI. From then on when you click on a .jpg in the file manager it will open up in viewnior

You can do this to every extension type. Another example right click on a .sfs and type "filemnt" into the command box in the GUI form. now clicking on an SFS will mount it and you can look inside in the file manager. Click on it again and it will umount the sfs. Also use "filemnt" as the Run Action for clicking on an ISO file and it will sdo the same thing as if it were a SFS.

I will also keep on track to get a firewall configuration going.

keniv

Post by keniv »

rockedge wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:45 pm

@keniv Good work!

To set the background right click anywhere on the empty space of the desktop and drag something over from /usr/share/backgrounds into the GUI form.

No mime types are yet declared so to set run action right click on the file, for example test_example.jpg and then in the GUI form type "viewnior" or drag and drop the binary into the GUI. From then on when you click on a .jpg in the file manager it will open up in viewnior

You can do this to every extension type. Another example right click on a .sfs and type "filemnt" into the command box in the GUI form. now clicking on an SFS will mount it and you can look inside in the file manager. Click on it again and it will umount the sfs. Also use "filemnt" as the Run Action for clicking on an ISO file and it will sdo the same thing as if it were a SFS.

Thanks for the information above. All of it worked for me except I had one odd result. I right clicked on the Bionicpup.iso and typed "filemnt" into the command box in the GUI form as you described above. I clicked on the Bionicpup.iso and it was mounted and opened in a box. I clicked on it again and it was unmounted. So it worked as I would have expected in other pups I've used. However, I then went to the KLV-Boxer-alpha2.iso and clicked on it. This time a box appeared saying that the KLV-Boxer-alpha2.iso was being unmounted! When I clicked on it again it appeared to be mounted but when the box opened there was nothing in it. I clicked on it again and it appeared to be unmounted. I tried right clicking the KLV-Boxer-alpha2.iso and clearing the command box in the GUI form then re-entering "filemnt" but clicking the iso after this gave the same result. So it appears to work for the Bionicpup.iso but not the KLV-Boxer-alpha2.iso. I have no idea as to why this happens.

I will also keep on track to get a firewall configuration going

Thanks for that. I am uncomfortable running without a firewall.

Regards,

Ken.
Edit: After a shutdown and reboot I can now mount KLV-Boxer-alpha2.iso, see the files the iso contains, then unmount the iso again. It now seems to be working in the same way as the Bionicpup.iso i.e. as normal.

darry19662018

Re: vlc

Post by darry19662018 »

Using a vlc app image and trying to run it as root. I typed

sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc

Copied the appimage to /usr/bin and renamed vlc and still get cannot be run as root error is there something else I have to do in Boxer?

Return to “Specialized”