Can music from a CD be transfered to a flash drive? or ...? SOLVED

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Sky Aisling

Can music from a CD be transfered to a flash drive? or ...? SOLVED

Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Kennel Mates,

I am a novice at manipulating music files.
I've never used DeadBeef 1.8.3 before.

The host machine is a Dell Inspiron N7010 with 6GB of RAM.
The Dell has a working DVD/CD player.
The Distribution is Bionic Beaver 18.xx upupbb. 64 bit
The music player is DeadBeef 1.8.3

The receiving machine is an HP HDX with 4GB of RAM.
The HP has no working DVD/CD player
The Distribution is Dpup stretch 7.50. 64 bit
The music player is DeadBeef 1.8.3

My goal is to get all the music on a CD copied and transferred to the HP. The file is just under 400 mgs.
(The Dell's sound system is mediocre. The HP sound system is pretty good, but, as I have noted, HP doesn't have a working DVD/CD drive.)

How do I transfer a music file from a CD to a flash drive?
or ...
How do I export the music file from the CD to the receiving HP?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

This question SOLVED. See viewtopic.php?p=5048#p5048

Sky
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
taersh

Re: Can music from a CD be transfered to a flash drive? or ...?

Post by taersh »

Use Asunder to rip the CD into .wav and/or .mp3.
Asunder be default in all Puppies - at least it's in all Puppies I'd ever used.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

nic007

Post by nic007 »

To keep it in its original form and quality, you can save/copy the contents of the CD as an ISO file with a cd burner (like Pburn). VLC can play the ISO file.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

nic007 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:32 am To keep it in its original form and quality, you can save/copy the contents of the CD as an ISO file with a cd burner (like Pburn). VLC can play the ISO file.
@sky aisling: If you use nic's suggestion of ripping the CD direct to an iso file you can also do the same thing with peasydisc rather than a CD burner. Also - what did you mean about the "file is just under 400MBs" ? Which file, and what format?

@nic007 - as an alternative to using vlc to read the iso on the second machine do you think it is possible to transfer the iso to the second machine via the usb stick then rip it to wavs on the second machine? (If sky does not have vlc available...)

EDIT : Actually i'm going to un-suggest peasydisc for the iso creation as it appears that the newer peasydisc does not have that option.

Maybe just use Asunder as taersh suggested - to rip the CD to individual .wav files on the first machine, copy those files to a usb stick then transfer to machine two and play with deadbeef. (convert wav files to mp3 if you want the files to be smaller by a factor of 10, but expect a slight loss of audio quality from mp3 than wav).
Last edited by greengeek on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
taersh

Post by taersh »

greengeek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:43 am @nic007 - as an alternative to using vlc to read the iso on the second machine do you think it is possible to transfer the iso to the second machine via the usb stick then rip it to wavs on the second machine? (If sky does not have vlc available...)
Why should he want to do this, when he can rip the CD on the first computer to .wav and then transfer the .wav files?

In Germany we have a saying that goes: Warum einfach, wenn es auch kompliziert geht! :lol:

My Music:

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

taersh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 am Why should he want to do this, when he can rip the CD on the first computer to .wav and then transfer the .wav files?
That is a very good question. I was fascinated by nic's idea of ripping an audio cd to .iso and then i remembered that peasydisc had a similar option and thought it worth a go.

If a CD can contain an iso of audio tracks i am interested to experiment.

I love to tinker!!

In English we have a saying called "K.I.S.S" (which means "Keep it simple, stupid!") - but unfortunately i never learned to live by that principle :lol:
nic007

Post by nic007 »

taersh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 am
greengeek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:43 am @nic007 - as an alternative to using vlc to read the iso on the second machine do you think it is possible to transfer the iso to the second machine via the usb stick then rip it to wavs on the second machine? (If sky does not have vlc available...)
Why should he want to do this, when he can rip the CD on the first computer to .wav and then transfer the .wav files?

In Germany we have a saying that goes: Warum einfach, wenn es auch kompliziert geht! :lol:
Exact copy of original, one file, maybe quicker just copying the image and transferring the one image. Why not if you can play directly from the image without ripping anything? Besides, it will be a quicker process if you want to burn it to CD again later (useful for exact copy if you don't have the original CD anymore). Many advantages as you can see. :idea:
Last edited by nic007 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
nic007

Post by nic007 »

"If a CD can contain an iso of audio tracks i am interested to experiment."

An audio cd is actually an iso burnt to CD. It contains the playing tracks (songs) in .wav format.
taersh

Post by taersh »

nic007 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:35 am Exact copy of original, one file, maybe quicker just copying the image and transferring the one image. Why not if you can play directly from the image without ripping anything? Besides, it will be a quicker process if you want to burn it to CD again later. Many advantages as you can see. :idea:
His other Computer, the HP one doesn't have a CD drive. So he would need to keep the .iso at least twice on different computers if he doesn't want to plug in constantly any USB devices to listen to the music from the .iso files. Ok, so far no problem if there's enough devices with enough space to store .iso files. But to me this would be really uncomfortable. When I'm listening to music from my computer I prefer .mp3 files in best quality. In all other cases I prefer to listen to LP and Tape - got two Technics Tape Decks with DBX. Recorded LP to DBX Tape sounds much better to me than any CD.

My Music:

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

At the risk of muddying the waters... it seems that many people say it is impossible to create an .iso from an audio CD.

Some suggest instead you may use either of the following commands to create a toc and/or cue file that is similar to iso but not an iso:
# cdda2wav
#readcd
#readom

but getting the syntax right in each case is a bit tricky - apparently because of the risk of inadvertently switching off error correction during the read process.

The conclusion seems to be that ripping to wav using good quality utilities is the best way to digitise music from audio cds.

This site gives really great info:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=285474
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

nic007 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:57 am An audio cd is actually an iso burnt to CD. It contains the playing tracks (songs) in .wav format.
From what i read over the last half hour or so this does not sound correct. Aren't the tracks stored as cddao "tracks" - or even as some people say just as one raw cddao track with silent spaces between songs - but no actual tracks?

Audio CDs definitely do not have .wav tracks according to the forums i just read...
nic007

Post by nic007 »

greengeek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:00 am At the risk of muddying the waters... it seems that many people say it is impossible to create an .iso from an audio CD.

Some suggest instead you may use either of the following commands to create a toc and/or cue file that is similar to iso but not an iso:
# cdda2wav
#readcd
#readom

but getting the syntax right in each case is a bit tricky - apparently because of the risk of inadvertently switching off error correction during the read process.

The conclusion seems to be that ripping to wav using good quality utilities is the best way to digitise music from audio cds.

This site gives really great info:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=285474
Pburn - copy audio CD. Easy as.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

One of the forums i just read offered this syntax to rip a CD to wav files using the command line to drive the basic inbuilt tools in puppy. Seems to be the quickest way i can find:

Type the following command into a terminal:

cdda2wav -scanbus

Take note of the address of your optical drive. This will be someting like 2,0,0 or 3,0,0

Rip the whole CD to individual tracks by entering this command into a terminal. (Make sure you substitute the correct address of your drive as discovered above):

cdda2wav dev=2,0,0 -vall cddb=0 -B -Owav

Simple as that.

EDIT : Unfortunately this doesn't work with Bionic64 - seems that there may be a faulty version of cdrtools. The -scanbus option does not work.

Code: Select all

root# cdda2wav -scanbus
cdda2wav: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open or use SCSI driver.
cdda2wav: For possible targets try 'cdda2wav -scanbus'.
Last edited by greengeek on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nic007

Post by nic007 »

I reckon the copy audio cd is easier. Once you have transferred the image to the other machine you can of course deal with the iso as you please. I will always use a GUI application if available but that's just me (and most other general users, I think).
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

nic007 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:18 am I reckon the copy audio cd is easier. Once you have transferred the image to the other machine you can of course deal with the iso as you please.
I still don't see how you are using pBurn to create an iso. Are you getting an output file that has an .iso suffix? I don't think it is possible. At least not with my version of pBurn.
All i can get form pBurn is a direct copy of the original audio CD (not an iso) and that does not help Sky Aisling - he needs digital files to transfer via usb stick.

(Still not sure if his original CD is a true audio CD though - possibly it is a digital CD comprised of mp3 or wav tracks already...). He did mention "under 400mbs" so i wonder how he got that figure. A true shop bought audio CD would not report such a size i dont think.
nic007

Post by nic007 »

greengeek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:04 am
nic007 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:57 am An audio cd is actually an iso burnt to CD. It contains the playing tracks (songs) in .wav format.
From what i read over the last half hour or so this does not sound correct. Aren't the tracks stored as cddao "tracks" - or even as some people say just as one raw cddao track with silent spaces between songs - but no actual tracks?

Audio CDs definitely do not have .wav tracks according to the forums i just read...
You may be right. It's been a long time ago. I'll go look for an audio cd somewhere (mine has been packed away years ago) and check. But - One can definitely copy it as an ISO, pretty sure about that (maybe I did this with other burn tools), I'll check and report back..
taersh

Post by taersh »

nic007 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:06 am Pburn - copy audio CD. Easy as.
Copy Audio CD does NOT mean to copy the CD into an ISO.
Copy Audio CD means to burn an Audio CD to another CD.
In the Copy Audio CD GUI of Pburn there's two tabs: one is to choose the device to burn to, the other is to choose the device to read from!
Though, to burn to and to read from, one can choose the same device if there's only one CD/DVD burning device.

:roll:

My Music:

nic007

Post by nic007 »

Checked and the cd image can't be copied to an ISO. I was able to copy the CD image to one .bin and one .cue file with another burner application but the contents can't be played from those files with a media player it seems. So, ripping the tracks from cd to audio files seem to be the best option in this case for the OP.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I do actually wonder if Sky has a true audio CD - or is it a data CD containing music files?

In which case all he would need to do is mount the CD by clicking on the drive icon and copy/paste or drag/drop.
nic007

Post by nic007 »

Audio CD's can't be copied as iso's but data cd's abviously can. Still, as mentioned audio cd's can be copied to two files as mentioned and later burnt to another CD. Still useful as an exact copy of the original I think (especially if the original cd is not yours). :twisted:
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Well, I don't know. This thread has been a classic case of misdirection from the get-go. I thought the idea was to help other community members with their problems, not go off on a wild goose chase discussing the pros & cons of very esoteric methods of doing stuff that would ONLY appeal to a bonafide "geek".....

Nic, it seems, is obsessed with VLC to the point of attempting to use it for everything under the sun.

Ian appears more than willing to investigate every little side road and "alternative' as far as he can take it.

In the mean time, poor old Sky, having asked for a simple solution to a simple problem, has been left high & dry.....!

C'mon, guys, for crying out loud. Those of us who love tinkering and know what we're doing could whip this up into a 15-20 page thread with no problem.....and that's fine in a discussion thread. But this ain't helping the OP, now, is it? Rainer & I don't always see eye to eye, it's true, but I have to agree with him on this one; why make things out to be harder than they need to be, hmm..?

Mike. :roll:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:40 pm Well, I don't know. This thread has been a classic case of misdirection from the get-go....

In the mean time, poor old Sky, having asked for a simple solution is left high and dry.
Hi Mike, Sky Aisling has been using puppy for years - not a newbie. So if taersh's first answer is simple enough then Sky won't bother reading on.

But this forum is surely here to serve a whole range of skill sets and mind sets is it not?

As far as I am aware you are not the forum police and I feel you should avoid personal attacks (even though your assessment of my personality is correct) :lol:

Anyway - more importantly - what is your answer to Sky's question?
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Anyone who claims that you can convert an audio CD into an ISO file needs to do it themselves, then report how they did it.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

greengeek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:46 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:40 pm Well, I don't know. This thread has been a classic case of misdirection from the get-go....

In the mean time, poor old Sky, having asked for a simple solution is left high and dry.
Hi Mike, Sky Aisling has been using puppy for years - not a newbie. So if taersh's first answer is simple enough then Sky won't bother reading on.

But this forum is surely here to serve a whole range of skill sets and mind sets is it not?

As far as I am aware you are not the forum police and I feel you should avoid personal attacks (even though your assessment of my personality is correct) :lol:

Anyway - more importantly - what is your answer to Sky's question?
Ian:-

Oh, don't get me wrong. Of course the membership has a whole range of skill-sets between the lot of us; that's not in dispute.

I think the point I'm attempting to make is that I recall - only too well - the intense amount of discussion that went on in the early days after Murga-Linux went down. About how the old forum was an absolute mess of threads with huge amounts or irrelevant content, and how THIS forum was a chance to start afresh, do things properly, and let the world & his wife see that Puppy was "with it" in the modern age. And yet here we go again.....with stuff of no relevance to the original post of a thread buried away in the middle of it, making it, once again, a hell of a job to find should anybody wish to take that subject further.

I'm experiencing a serious case of 'deja vu' here.....

And as for not being the forum police, it's somewhat awkward switching back & forth between a forum where I AM part of the "forum police" (BleepingComputer) to one where I'm just a normal member....here. Habits die hard, y'know... :lol:

But I do think I've made a relevant point.

Advice for Sky? Rip with Asunder (or similar), put the resulting tracks into a single directory, copy that directory to a flash drive. Then plug the flash-drive into the HP, fire-up DeaDBeeF, and point it at the folder on the flash drive. Simple, and straight-forward.

It's how I got most of my CD collection into digital format back in my XP days, except there it was all done via Windows Media Player. I just don't see why ISOs got dragged into the discussion from the first reply - post 2 - when it wasn't really even part of the subject matter. I know Sky's not a newbie - but I don't believe he falls into the category of all-knowing, despite being part of the community for many years.

Mike. ;)
Last edited by mikewalsh on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

Warum einfach, wenn es auch kompliziert geht!

Thank you @Mike.

How about this for a work-around...

Can I download the MP3 Album from Amazon Music?
Will I then have a file of the album as a piece of data in my HP machine?
Will the MP3 album data be mine and not in the cloud somewhere?

PS - I'm girl not a boy - you can call me anything but not late for dinner. :)

@taersh
@greengeek
@nic007
Attachments
Amazon-Music-2.jpg
Amazon-Music-2.jpg (14.54 KiB) Viewed 824 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Sky Aisling :-

Sorry, lassl. No offence intended..! :oops:

(I only recently found out that battleshooter is a girl, too. I knew Jemimah was; her blog used to make that very obvious. But battleshooter just didn't come across that way, y'know.....more like a poilte boy "geek". It's hard to describe.)

Makes me wonder how many of the Puppy membership DO belong to the fairer sex....

--------------------

As for Amazon Music, I've no experience with it. But I would think if you've paid for it, there's nothing stopping you from making a "backup copy".....then squirrelling THAT away in a safe place.

I just hope Amazon Music aren't like Spotify, who at one point attempted to help themselves to your music collection, followed by deleting your local copy, and then forcing you to use THEIR website to listen to your own music..! That was naughty.

Mike. ;)
Last edited by mikewalsh on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

Oh, oh should I have typed @mikewalsh not @mike?
We also have a member named 'Mike'.
How to edit post?
Sky
Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

@mikewalsh writes:
I just hope Amazon Music aren't like Spotify, who at one point attempted to help themselves to your music collection, followed by deleting your local copy, and then forcing you to use THEIR website to listen to your own music..! That was naughty.
Yes, that is a concern of mine.

Sky
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

@Sky - what type of CD are you trying to get the music from?
Is it a standard audio CD bought from the shop or is it a computer CD containing music files such as mp3's?
Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi @greengeek,

The CD is a commercially purcashed music CD published in 1995.

Return to “Users”