Problems turning a thin client into a usable computer with Puppy

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Re: Problems turning a thin client into a usable computer with Puppy

Post by amethyst »

deram wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:50 pm

OK folks and thanks again for the kind help and tips.
Meanwhile I was able to unmount /sda1 and rezise it to max. capacity. Indeed one have to boot in RAM.
But the more I use Linux the more I encounter new issues.
So I do not understand the exact meaning of "Mount" and "Unmount". Is it the same as "Install and Uninstall" ? Certainly not, but what is it?

As explained at the beginning, the Thin Client (TC) in want the convert to a PC will be used only for browsing the internet. e.g. use as serveillance camera, view Youtube films and watch on-line TV. No downlaods, no saving files, no use of any apps. In other words I want only a small O.S and the fasted lightweight browser. All the apps that came with the installation of Puppy can be deleted or uninstalled.
Question : How do you uninstall apps you never will use ? e.g. word, speadsheets, Painting, chat, CDplayer, brurn cd/dvd, etc.. ?

By now I have 3 x browsers installed: 1) U Light, 2) Firefox and 3) Chromium.
1) is not supporting Youtube (update error message). How can I uninstall it ?
2) works but looks slow to me.
3) works pretty good but it takes a hell of time to open !!!

Further I have to open the browsers (chromium) via the menu. How to put a schortcut icon on the desktop ?

Sorry voor de vele vragen , hoop dat jullie het mij niet kwalijk nemen.

You can run in RAM by either changing the boot parameter to pfix=ram or pfix=nocopy. I suggest the nocopy option because you will have more RAM available.

You mount a partition or file so that it is available to be accessed for use. You install an application. A partition of a drive for example needs to be mounted first before you can use it.

You can't uninstall builtin applications because the base sfs (which contains the whole filesystem) is in a read-only format. The only way to get rid of builtin applications permanently, is to edit and rebuild the base sfs. The easiest way to do this is to run "Remove builtin packages" from menu and then do a remaster which will create a new base sfs. Puppy's builtin applications are generally speaking very small so not really worthwhile to remove.

The Light Browser is normally not builtin but provided as an additional adrv. You can boot without it (easy way is to rename it to anything else). Light Browser does play youtube videos. I often watch youtube videos with it in Bionic 32. Light Browser can't be updated, it's a very old, stripped, unofficial version of firefox. Your computer specs are low and you will be restricted by speed if you browse these very heavy websites like youtube. But there is hope for you -

TIPS:
1. It is possible to change your browser's user agent so that your system is identified as a portable device and websites are displayed in their mobile versions whenever it is available. Mobile sites are smaller and less resource hungry.
2. You can play youtube videos without actually going to the youtube site. Search engines like DuckDuckGo and Bing have embedded players to play youtube videos without going to the youtube official site.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

To answer the question: What is 'mount' and 'unmount'?

It means to place a filesystem (in a virtual representation) at a directory. If I create a FAT32 partition and it has a file named 'foo', which I then mount to /mnt/sdb1. Upon looking in there, I will see the file 'foo'. To unmount means to detach the filesystem from where you mounted it at. This means it will write all final changes, and when you check that place, it will be empty.

The only cases where something unexpected may happen, is that your files in that directory disappeared. Or perhaps when you unmounted, there are still files in there! This is because mount basically has covered it with a carpet. You can have many 'carpets', which could cover one another. You may have realized if thats the case, and you load sfs files, how come its not carpeted over? This is because puppy uses a union filesystem. It merges carpets together, to create a single carpet. Of course this is virtual, not real! Do note that processes keeping hold of a file in the directory you mounted at, will not have problems because Linux knows not to cut off the access, until it is released.

Mounting can be thought of as taking a carpet and rolling it over the floor. You can't see anything below that carpet! But you can see what the carpet has.
Unmounting can be thought of taking the carpet that you drew all over away. You can see what was underneath it, as well as that your drawing is still on that carpet you just took.
Union filesystems can be thought of as merging many carpets into one. Perhaps some of them can't be drawn on (read only) and others can (rewritable). :mrgreen:

Dutch Translation:
Om de vraag te beantwoorden: wat is 'mount' en 'unmount'?

Het betekent een bestandssysteem (in een virtuele weergave) in een map plaatsen. Als ik een FAT32-partitie maak en deze heeft een bestand met de naam 'foo', dat ik vervolgens koppel aan /mnt/sdb1. Als ik daar naar binnen kijk, zie ik het bestand 'foo'. Ontkoppelen betekent het loskoppelen van het bestandssysteem van waar je het hebt aangekoppeld. Dit betekent dat het alle laatste wijzigingen zal schrijven, en wanneer u die plaats aanvinkt, zal deze leeg zijn.

De enige gevallen waarin er iets onverwachts kan gebeuren, is dat uw bestanden in die map zijn verdwenen. Of misschien staan ​​er nog bestanden in als je hebt ontkoppeld! Dit komt omdat Mount het in feite heeft bedekt met een tapijt. Je kunt veel 'tapijten' hebben, die elkaar kunnen bedekken. Je hebt je misschien gerealiseerd dat als dat het geval is, en je laadt sfs-bestanden, hoe komt het dat het niet bedekt is? Dit komt omdat puppy een Union-bestandssysteem gebruikt. Het voegt tapijten samen tot één tapijt. Dit is natuurlijk virtueel, niet echt! Houd er rekening mee dat processen die een bestand vasthouden in de directory waar je bent gemount, geen problemen zullen hebben omdat Linux weet dat het de toegang niet moet afsnijden totdat het wordt vrijgegeven.

Montage kan worden gezien als het nemen van een tapijt en het over de vloer rollen. Onder dat tapijt zie je niets! Maar je kunt zien wat het tapijt heeft.
Ontkoppelen kan worden gedacht aan het wegnemen van het tapijt dat je helemaal hebt getekend. Je kunt zien wat eronder was, en ook dat je tekening nog steeds op dat tapijt ligt dat je net hebt genomen.
Union-bestandssystemen kunnen worden gezien als het samenvoegen van veel tapijten tot één. Misschien kan op sommige niet worden getekend (alleen-lezen) en op andere wel (herschrijfbaar).

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

deram

Post by deram »

Bedankt voor de uitgebreide uileg over "mount" en "unmount", Ook heb ik geleerd dat het niet aan te raden is om build-in applications te verwijderen.
Ik heb echter nog geen antwoord /oplossing mogen ontvangen van hoe men: 1) een nieuwe desktop icoon kan plaatsen van vb. Chromium die ik gedowdload heb? , en 2) hoe ik een gedonwloade app terug kan verwijderen. Vb. how to unistall Chromium ?

Google translation.

Thanks for the detailed explanation about "mount" and "unmount", I also learned that it is not recommended to remove build-in applications.
However, I have not yet received an answer / solution on how to:
1) place a new desktop icon from eg. Chromium which I downloaded and installed ? , and
2) how to remove a downloaded app. eg. how to install Chromium ?

deram

Post by deram »

correction

2) how to remove a downloaded app. eg. how to uninstalll Chromium ?

peterw

Post by peterw »

Another thought. The thin client has a VIA Nano U3400 CPU which is a 64 bit device and Bionic 32 is a little aged now. I did wonder whether Fatdog a relation to the Puppy family would suit your needs. https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/ and work well.

Een andere gedachte. De thin client heeft een VIA Nano U3400 CPU, een 64-bits apparaat en Bionic 32 is nu een beetje verouderd. Ik vroeg me af of Fatdog een relatie met de Puppy-familie bij je zou passen. https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/ en werken goed.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

deram wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:23 am

correction

2) how to remove a downloaded app. eg. how to uninstalll Chromium ?

How did you install it? What was the format of the package you installed? If it was a .pet, a .deb or such you should be able to uninstall it via the Puppy Package Manager which can be run from the menu.
Easiest way to have an icon for an application on your desktop, is to drag and drop the icon from /usr/share/applications to the desktop.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

After you drag /usr/applications/XXX.desktop to the Desktop, you can RIGHT-CLICK the icon on the DESKTOP and select Edit item from the pop-up menu. Then delete the '.desktop' from its name. Actually, you can give that 'short-cut' any name you want, even no name =BLANK.

Return to “Beginners Help”