Desktop background app corrupted my fossa-dusk.jpg file

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

unL33T

Desktop background app corrupted my fossa-dusk.jpg file

Post by unL33T »

While playing around with the desktop background settings apparently some of them actually edit the original image file...? So now my fossa-dusk.jpg file is all messed up. Can anyone post the original?

I'm running fossapup64.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Desktop background app corrupted my fossa-dusk.jpg file

Post by rockedge »

@unL33T Hopefully this is it!

Download Link -> fossa-dusk.jpg

mikeslr

r

Post by mikeslr »

unL33T wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:59 pm

While playing around with the desktop background settings (a) apparently some of them actually edit the original image file...? Unlikely.

So now my fossa-dusk.jpg file is corrupted. (b) Can anyone send me the original? You already have it.

I'm running fossapup64.

Left-Click puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs. In the GUI which opens, click "View". A new window will open., File-browse to /usr/share/backrounds and/or backrounds_original. The background you want will be in one of those. You can drag it into /usr/share/backgrounds or backgrounds_original in memory --i.e., up from the ~root folder which rox usually opens to-- and select copy.

puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs is a READ-ONLY file. It was copied into RAM when you booted up*. But you can mount it by Left-Clicking it and copy files from it. You'll discover that even after clicking View, you can neither delete, move or modify the files in the Window which opened.
Left-Clicking mounted it. Left-Click it again to unmount it.

* All changes first occur in RAM. They can become 'permanent' if you execute a SAVE, otherwise they are deleted on shut-down/reboot. Changes are written to your SaveFile/Folder. It is a READ-WRITE File. You can mount it, as above, and write to it directly.

Feek

Post by Feek »

There are 2 identical wallpapers in /usr/share/backgrounds in Fossapup64.

One of them looks "normal" and is default for boot with adrv.

The second is blurred and is default for boot without adrv (with minimum apps).
You may have set the blurred.

See the last post of this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=3576

unL33T

Re: r

Post by unL33T »

mikeslr wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:35 pm
unL33T wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:59 pm

While playing around with the desktop background settings (a) apparently some of them actually edit the original image file...? Unlikely.

So now my fossa-dusk.jpg file is corrupted. (b) Can anyone send me the original? You already have it.

I'm running fossapup64.

Left-Click puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs. In the GUI which opens, click "View". A new window will open., File-browse to /usr/share/backrounds and/or backrounds_original. The background you want will be in one of those. You can drag it into /usr/share/backgrounds or backgrounds_original in memory --i.e., up from the ~root folder which rox usually opens to-- and select copy.

puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs is a READ-ONLY file. It was copied into RAM when you booted up*. But you can mount it by Left-Clicking it and copy files from it. You'll discover that even after clicking View, you can neither delete, move or modify the files in the Window which opened.
Left-Clicking mounted it. Left-Click it again to unmount it.

* All changes first occur in RAM. They can become 'permanent' if you execute a SAVE, otherwise they are deleted on shut-down/reboot. Changes are written to your SaveFile/Folder. It is a READ-WRITE File. You can mount it, as above, and write to it directly.

Thanks. I assumed there must be a way to restore it since it's read only. Is there any easy way to alter my save file so it "forgets" that this file was ever changed to begin with? Or will doing what you described do exactly that? I'm just assuming if I do what you described above it would still be using some data in the save file. I would've just not saved but mine is set up to save by default and I didn't want other files that may have been changed to be missed as the machine was running all night.

williams2

Post by williams2 »

Is there any easy way to alter my save file so it "forgets" that this file was ever changed to begin with?

You do not need to mount the sfs file, it's already mounted
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/backgrounds/

You can copy /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/backgrounds/fossa-dusk.jpg to /usr/share/backgrounds/
which will copy the original file to the save layer.

Or you can delete the file from the save layer so that the original file will be visible in the Puppy file system.
For example, rm /initrd/pup_rw/usr/share/backgrounds/fossa-dusk.jpg
I would then immediately reboot because aufs does not like you to do that.

You can find duplicate files in the save layer like this:
diff -q -s -r /initrd/pup_ro2/ /initrd/pup_rw/ | grep 'are identical'

unL33T

Post by unL33T »

williams2 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:11 pm

Is there any easy way to alter my save file so it "forgets" that this file was ever changed to begin with?

You do not need to mount the sfs file, it's already mounted
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/backgrounds/

You can copy /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/backgrounds/fossa-dusk.jpg to /usr/share/backgrounds/
which will copy the original file to the save layer.

Oddly it doesn't show here. I only see Black.svg, fossa-dusk-block.jpg, Pink.svg, Sky.svg, DarkGray.svg, LightGray.svg, and Purple.svg in this folder.

If I go to /initrd/pup_ro1/usr/share/backgrounds/ then fossa-dusk.jpg exists but it is the modified one. I did just find that there is a backgrounds_original folder which contains the unmodified file in both the pup_ro1 directory as well as just under the normal /usr/share/ folder.

williams2 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:11 pm

Or you can delete the file from the save layer so that the original file will be visible in the Puppy file system.
For example, rm /initrd/pup_rw/usr/share/backgrounds/fossa-dusk.jpg
I would then immediately reboot because aufs does not like you to do that.

Under /initrd/pup_rw/usr/share/ I do not have a backgrounds folder.

williams2

Post by williams2 »

You seem to be running in usbflash or ata flash mode. (mode 13, I think)

In that mode:
/initrd/pup_rw/ is the read/write layer
/initrd/pup_rw/ is a file system in ram.

/initrd/pup_ro2/ is the file system in puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs
puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs contains the base Puppy file system.

/initrd/pup_ro1/ is your save file/folder.
/initrd/pup_ro1/ is not read-only, it is your save file/folder mounted read/write (rw)

/initrd/pup_a/ is adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs (the main part of the FossaPup file system.)
/initrd/pup_a/ is mounted read only.

If you need to replace a file that became corrupted, the original files
are in /initrd/pup_ro2/ or /initrd/pup_a/

For example,

Code: Select all

# ls -lh /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/backgrounds
total 52K
-rw-r--r-- 1 186 Jun 23  2020 Black.svg
-rw-r--r-- 1 465 Jun 23  2020 DarkGray.svg
-rw-r--r-- 1 48K May  6  2020 fossa-dusk-block.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 465 Jun 23  2020 LightGray.svg
-rw-r--r-- 1 471 Jun 23  2020 Pink.svg
-rw-r--r-- 1 471 Jun 23  2020 Purple.svg
-rw-r--r-- 1 887 Jun 23  2020 Sky.svg
#
# ls -lh /initrd/pup_a/usr/share/backgrounds
total 2.2M
-rw-r--r-- 1 1.2M May 19  2020 fossa-dusk.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 1.1M May 19  2020 fossa-sunset.jpg
#

So now my fossa-dusk.jpg file is all messed up. Can anyone post the original?

The original fossa-dusk.jpg file is in /initrd/pup_a/usr/share/backgrounds/
So, you can copy /initrd/pup_a/usr/share/backgrounds/fossa-dusk.jpg file to /usr/share/backgrounds/

Or you can delete /initrd/pup_ro1/usr/share/backgrounds/fossa-dusk.jpg
/initrd/pup_ro1/ is your save file.
and reboot.

FossaPup makes changes to PuppyPin (and thus the wallpaper) in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/
which can be annoying and confusing.

I save a backup of my PinBoard files and copy them back, before rox, using PuppyPin, starts the wallpaper/desktop.

unL33T

Post by unL33T »

Thanks for all the great information!

The file is indeed showing under /initrd/pup_a/usr/share/backgrounds/ along with only fossa-sunset.jpg.

So I guess the backgrounds showing under /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/backgrounds/ would be for all Puppy versions while /initrd/pup_a/usr/share/backgrounds/ would be specific to FossaPup?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Some puppies use pup_a but pup_ro2 is used by all puppies. It's merely a matter of consistency so its easier to figure where the squashfiles are mounted at.

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

Return to “Beginners Help”