seamonkey 2.53.2 lost bookmarks

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

wasley51

seamonkey 2.53.2 lost bookmarks

Post by wasley51 »

Hello All,
my hardware is asus x58le,pentium dualcore t4200, ram 2gb, intern. memory 2gb; OS puppy buster64 2.3.1 run fm. live CD
I run seamonkey 2.53.2 and recently lost all bookmarks. Opening seamonkey a red message appears:

"THE BOOKMARKS AND HISTORY SYSTEM WIL NOT BE FUNCTIONAL BECAUSE ONE OF SEAMONKEY'S FILES IS IN USE BY ANOTHER APPLICATION. SOME SECURITY SOFTWARE CAN CAUSE THIS PROBLEMS"

Could this be corrupted files? Any ideas on fixing this? Maybe I should change the OS to a simpler smaller puppy as the puppybuster64 has not been the best.
Thks.

bigpup

Re: seamonkey 2.53.2 lost bookmarks

Post by bigpup »

Have you tried to do a complete shutdown, power off for 1 minute, and power on boot up?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wasley51

Post by wasley51 »

Thks for yr. reply.....yes I did try the complete shutdown several times....loosing the bookmarks is not the end of the world but as is, I cannot set any new bookmarks.

Does upgrading to a newer seamonkey version solve this? Maybe another type of light browser that handles basic needs?

Thks. again.

wasley51

Post by wasley51 »

Hello,
Other than doing a complete shutdown, does anyone else hv. an idea if/how this can be fixed? just tell me if you think there is no solution.
Thks.

xenial

Post by xenial »

Hello.
have you by chance gone into the seamonkey troubleshooting section and looked inside the bookmark back up folder to see if you can restore from there.?

Bookmark back up folder is to be found within the seamonkey profile folder.

bert07

Post by bert07 »

If you should have any other systems on your computer, or have another computer, start from there.

Export your bookmarks from any other system/browser to bookmark;html. Copy it to a USB or directly to your system with the faulty seamonkey.

Go back to the system with your corrupt seamonkey bookmarks.
Start SeaMonkey and import the bookmark file you just exported.

Perhaps you'll have lost some bookmarks you had in seamonkey, but you'll have at least that back.

By the way: the latest version of seamonky is 2.53.10.2. You better install that first before importing the bookmarks file.

Main: Debian + Mageia + Windows 10 on a AMD Ryzen 7 machine.

wasley51

Post by wasley51 »

Thks. Xenial and Bert07,

Xenial: I tried Troubleshooter info.-profile directory-open directory button-nothing happened.
Then I opened seamonkey-toolbar-bookmarks-manage bookmarks.tools-restore(selected date)-message: unable to process the backup file.
I did find the bookmark backup file at: main desktop file icon-root-.mozilla-seamonkey-default, and it had 10 items in it but I can't do anything with this.

Bert07: I didn't have any other systems or computer to copy bookmarks. I did download firefox 68.7-esr sfs and chromium 80 sfs, but I couldn't get them to open up....no bookmarks but I just wanted to change browsers.

Thks. anyway to both of you for yr. effort.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

wasley51 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:41 pm

Thks. Xenial and Bert07,

Xenial: I tried Troubleshooter info.-profile directory-open directory button-nothing happened.
Then I opened seamonkey-toolbar-bookmarks-manage bookmarks.tools-restore(selected date)-message: unable to process the backup file.
I did find the bookmark backup file at: main desktop file icon-root-.mozilla-seamonkey-default, and it had 10 items in it but I can't do anything with this.

Bert07: I didn't have any other systems or computer to copy bookmarks. I did download firefox 68.7-esr sfs and chromium 80 sfs, but I couldn't get them to open up....no bookmarks but I just wanted to change browsers.

Thks. anyway to both of you for yr. effort.

Can you save your .mozilla/seamonkey/xyz123.default folder to a USB thumb drive? If the bookmarks are recoverable, you will have all you need inside that folder.

In your first post, you mention a

OS puppy buster64 2.3.1 run fm. live CD
Maybe I should change the OS to a simpler smaller puppy as the puppybuster64 has not been the best.

Can you tell us more about your setup?

is this easyos buster 2.3.1? If not can you identify your os more specifically?

If you are running from a cd, where are your changes are being stored?

wasley51

Post by wasley51 »

thks. williwaw,
I get 1-error when I copy(usb thumbdrive) the entire default folder: .mozilla/seamonkey/xyz123.default.default/backup, but I can copy the bookmark backups folder in: mozilla/seamonkey/xyz123.default/bookmarkbackups There are 10 items in this folder.

SYSTEM: technically it is called EASYPUP 2.3.1 (puppybuster64 2.3.1) which was a mix of traditional puppy and EASYOS, but was retired in dec.2021.

I am running fm. a live cd but not sure where changes are stored. If this sounds easy to fix, good, but don't waste yr. time if it seems complicated, I can get by for now.

Thks.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

you can also back up your bookmarks in seamonkey by choosing bookmarks in the dropdown menu and choosing "manage bookmarks"
in the tools dropdown of the library window, choose "export bookmarks to html" and save the file to your USB

should your browser give more problems such that you wish to upgrade your browser or OS to something more recent than ezpup, this html file will make updating simpler.

your saves might be on your hardrive where there is also another OS?

Return to “Beginners Help”