Post by DeeMal »

Compaq Desktop
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
2 gigs of RAM
1280x1024 video

chromiumerror.png

Bionic Puppy 64-8.0 uefi
Installed on 15 gig Lexar Flash Drive
2-4 gig swap file (I increased it twice and can't remember which size I did last.)
1 gig of RAM
Downloaded OS last week & burned it to a DVD on a different faster laptop.

OK, I have three issues while utilizing Puppy. Actually, I had four but resolved one as it is now pretty clear that it was a hardware issue.

First, when I open Chrome and touch my keyboard for anything it crashes. However, it works as long as I DO NOT try to type anything in the address bar. Yes, I have looked for a solution but they weren't clear or I would have to pull my own teeth to make it work. There has to be a simple fix since this seems to be a known issue. Yes, I like Chrome a lot AND NO I am not interested in debating why I shouldn't like Google or Chrome. I also like Opera and have downloaded it but I prefer Chrome as I use their ecosystem for many things.

TerryH

Re: Chrome Crashes With a Touch of a Fnger

Post by TerryH »

I can't help fix your issue, but there is at least another current thread with the same issue, you may want to read:

viewtopic.php?p=48331#p48331

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

DeeMal

Post by DeeMal »

I am reading those threads. Thanks. If I can't resolve it, I will contact you.

DeeMal

Post by DeeMal »

TerryH wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:37 pm

I can't help fix your issue, but there is at least another current thread with the same issue, you may want to read:

viewtopic.php?p=48331#p48331

Sorry, I misread your post BUT the link to the discussion was VERY HELPFUL. I will have to figure out whether using Puppy, in this case, is worth it. Maybe just for the encryption which I love but certainly not everyday surfing. Oh well.

DeeMal

Post by DeeMal »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:14 pm

@DeeMal :-

If you'd still prefer to use Chrome, take a look at the Chrome 'bug thread', here:-

viewtopic.php?p=48480#p48480

We think we've found the cause of the crashing. It's a conflict between Puppy's window compositor, and some of the many GPU 'tweaks' Google have recently been making in Chrome. The answer is to disable the 'compton' window compositor, which appears to do the trick....

Let us know if that fixes it for you, please?

Mike. ;)

This solution worked for me! I consider this issue resolved. Of course, we hope that it updates normally but I am looking at solutions that we may install it differently and be assured that it updates if this solution doesn't allow for updates. Don't see why it wouldn't though but I didn't forsee an issue initially so ...

DeeMal

Post by DeeMal »

Thanks, HerrBert memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1070' & to all forum members that reached out & helped. You all have restored my confidence in the program with the discussion of the possible cause(s) & solution(s).

:thumbup:

Return to “Beginners Help”