Show Us Your Desktop..!!

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Duprate

Re: Show Us Your Desktop

Post by Duprate »

Hi! I prefer to use JWM, no desktop icons, and conky or Pwidgets is essential for me.... :thumbup2:

Attachments
xscreenshot.jpg
xscreenshot.jpg (120.29 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Experimental

dark-glow-xenial-jwm.png
dark-glow-xenial-jwm.png (165.27 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

This is my Xenial 64 JWM at the moment w/simplified menus, 2nd tray apps, places, and system launcher windows open, Task Manager, UniChrome-cayan icon theme, and the Hacking Parrot GTK theme from @geo_c.

The icon next to Menu is Find'n'Run for a third application access method.

There are no desktop drive icons visible, but any attached would appear on the desktop and disappear after being unmounted/unplugged.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Revisiting an old favourite - Slacko 5.6.0 - from the 'kennels' on the old rig. This is the only one I've been able to make functional, largely due to re-building it with glibc-2.20, the k4.1.48 kernel from radky's 'DPup Stretch', along with assorted items "filched" from various other Pups that let it boot with the UEFI on this HP desktop...

(Most of the others were built before UEFI, and during the boot process are always looking for "VESA BIOS extensions" - this is the point at which things invariably go "pear-shaped"...) :roll:

[Click to enlarge:-]

My usual layout, pretty much.....with a small modification of one of the default wallpapers 560 originally shipped with. Can you spot it..? :D (Hint; it's where I got the "inspiration" for my current siggy!)

Many items run from the Xenialpup 7.5 chroot, 'cos otherwise they wouldn't be functional, due to many of 560's dependencies being way too old. But it makes for a nice "resurrection".....and one that I still enjoy spending time with.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

xenial

Post by xenial »

Nothing too elaborate.

old shack in the woods.my idea of homely paradise. :)

Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (252.73 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Less is more

Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

32 Bionic based on Punk Gamma GTK not even reflected in the desktop (all JWM, ROX, icons, Vivaldi settings, and Sunnnny Conky).

Autohiding 2nd tray is same as my last post with standard (non-UniChrome cayan) icons.

Attachments
32bionic-gamma-punk-conky-vivaldi.png
32bionic-gamma-punk-conky-vivaldi.png (102.25 KiB) Viewed 995 times

Linux Über Alles

Grey

Post by Grey »

xenial wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:15 pm

old shack in the woods.

Isn't this a shack from Gravity Falls, Oregon :) ? I watched this cartoon with my nephew and it seems to be one of the few more or less "normal" cartoons in recent years.
Phineas and Ferb are in second place in the nephew's rating. I would probably put the prizes in reverse :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

xenial

Post by xenial »

@Grey
To be perfectly honest i have absolutely no idea i just grabbed it from a wallpaper site :lol:

I am not really of an urban nature and i live in a part of england which is mainly rural in nature and has vegetable fields for hundreds of miles so a shack in the woods seemed appropriate. :P

Grey

Post by Grey »

xenial wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:14 pm

I am not really of an urban nature and i live in a part of england which is mainly rural in nature and has vegetable fields for hundreds of miles so a shack in the woods seemed appropriate. :P

Around my town there are exactly the same fields with sunflowers, vegetables and corn. That's why I like shacks too :thumbup:

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

xenial

Post by xenial »

@Grey

People of my county are known as yellowbelly carrot crunchers because of all the veg :lol:

Not too many shacks to be honest and woodland is scarce considering we are the second largest county in england. :x

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

JASpup wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:55 am

32 Bionic based on Punk Gamma GTK not even reflected in the desktop (all JWM, ROX, icons, Vivaldi settings, and Sunnnny Conky).
Autohiding 2nd tray is same as my last post with standard (non-UniChrome cayan) icons.

Looks like a fun system you got going there!

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@xenial maybe with superior ethics name-calling is flattery?

I grew up in an urban place w/shacks like yours in the hills. Now in an over-priced Mexicating ghetto with excellent food choice. (California)

@geo_c still an unsettled user, you're inspiring a low-fi switcher where Punk Gamma is looking like an 'in' theme.

Would I be happy with a set of automated themes or would I still be tweaking for something new because I am drawn to the process and perpetually unsettled?

The only thing I am sure about is aesthetics are as important as functionality for long computing sessions and our moods change.

I still need to learn: Roxfiler reports Punk Gamma at 2144k.

My main theme, Nodoka Midnight is 12k. So what is it missing or the prior adding? What is needed to achieve the desired look without the baggage?

Sans attention seems there is always too much or not enough.

Linux Über Alles

xenial

Post by xenial »

@JASpup
Not really what we term name calling here.
In the uk terms are given for certain localities..brummies for the birmingham area...cockneys for london..geordies for the northeast of england etc and not certain how these terms arose...all with vastly different accents.People from way up north in scotland are near impossible to under stand to us sassanachs which is what scots call the english. :lol:

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@xenial if yellowbelly carrot crunchers isn't name-calling I would be afraid. :shock:

Is there a term for Yorkshiremen?

Linux Über Alles

xenial

Post by xenial »

JASpup wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:12 am

@xenial if yellowbelly carrot crunchers isn't name-calling I would be afraid. :shock:

Trust me it's a term of endearment :lol:

"have a cup of yorkshire tea lad.".. :o :lol: :lol:

"tyke" is one of many terms but that is usually around the barnsley area..it is englands biggest county so there will be many.

Don't call them wazzacks :lol: :lol: :oops:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@JASpup :-

This might interest you:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_B ... ames#Y_-_Z

A full list of every regional "nickname" for the whole of the UK. Some of these are REAL "eye-openers"..! :lol:

Yorkshire 'nicks' are quite polite compared to some.

I was born in London, in Islington, within the sound of Bow Bells (which technically makes me a Cockney!) - though was adopted at the age of 7 months by the only parents I've ever known, and spent the early part of my youth growing up in a place called Cleckheaton (which then made me a 'Tyke', or 'Yorkie'). At the age of 8, we moved down to Norfolk, where I've been ever since....and that, in turn, has made me a "Norfolk dumpling"!

Terms of endearment include "lad", "pet" and "me duck". The latter two, in particular, are used indiscriminately across the genders, being applied equally when addressing men OR women....

The overarching feature you notice about the locals is how extremely friendly everybody is. And Yorkshiremen are great practical jokers.....the more so, the better they get to know you. Just take a look at the long-running BBC TV sitcom, "Last of the Summer Wine". That is Yorkshiremen to a tee; so true-to-life it's uncanny. I doubt scriptwriters Jimmy Perry & David Croft had the faintest idea of just how popular their series would turn out to be.

My nickname at primary school was "Bootsie" (related to my real surname, which is not so different to my forum 'persona'). Even nowadays, on the odd occasions I re-visit Cleckheaton to connect with old friends, my best mate at school, one Frank Dearborne, will always greet me with, "Now then Bootsie; how ista, lad?" :D

Happy days! :)

Mike. ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh I had a nickname all through my school days. Most knew me as "Kraut" which really caught on when I was 11-12 years old playing Little League baseball. I guess it started because my mom had such a heavy German accent when she spoke English and I had lived in Germany in my early years.

In 7 days I turn 60. Those guys from the neighborhood still call me "Kraut"

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

JASpup wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:55 am

@geo_c still an unsettled user, you're inspiring a low-fi switcher
I still need to learn: Roxfiler reports Punk Gamma at 2144k.

My main theme, Nodoka Midnight is 12k. So what is it missing or the prior adding? What is needed to achieve the desired look without the baggage?

Sans attention seems there is always too much or not enough.

A theme that is only 12k probably has little or no added graphic elements like scroll bars or buttons. And if it looks good that way then more power to that theme. Its essentially just a hand full of config files. But in the big scheme of things I'm still surprised that 2-4M is a deal breaker for you, because that's the size of a 3min mp3 file. Its not much storage resource in this environment of browser caches and such. Once I realized to set Sylpheed to clear its cache on exit, I saved 300M of storage in my savefolder.

But to answer your question, you will be tweaking your themes forever, maybe even in the afterlife, only there they will be fabulous beyond comprehension.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Tyke in America is just a little boy, maybe a marketing term for Hasbro.

I was told Yorkie is definitely not people but the breed. YorkiePup 9.7. I have one friend there who is easy with my dialect but when using their own I have to translate.

I'll have to check out ..Summer Wine. In the States we got Are You Being Served?

Ground floor: perfumery
Stationery and leather goods
Wigs and haberdashery
Kitchenware and food
Going up

Linux Über Alles

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@JASpup :-

JASpup wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:31 pm

Tyke in America is just a little boy, maybe a marketing term for Hasbro.

I was told Yorkie is definitely not people but the breed. YorkiePup 9.7. I have one friend there who is easy with my dialect but when using their own I have to translate.

I'll have to check out ..Summer Wine. In the States we got Are You Being Served?

Ground floor: perfumery
Stationery and leather goods
Wigs and haberdashery
Kitchenware and food
Going up

"Last of the Summer Wine" is in very much the same vein; gentle, anarchic Brit comedy. Same scriptwriters, y'see; Jimmy Perry & David Croft were responsible for both series.....though nearly 50 years later, "Summer Wine" is still going strong! :)

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

Also we have emmerdale farm which is a supposed depiction of yorkshire but filmed in derbyshire if i recall. :!:

Are you being served..that's a blast from the past.
It ain't half hot mum was another one but sadly will not be allowed on main uk tv now because of this colonialist nonsense which is spreading everywhere.

my favourite was always fawlty towers.Only 12 made but classics none the less.

Grey

Post by Grey »

What interesting everyday stories I suddenly learned.
Here, too, residents of large cities give nicknames to the villagers. At the same time, they forget who feeds them and where the food in the shops comes from in their city. Recently, guests from the capital came and saw a grain elevator and what do you think? They didn't know what it was and most likely thought that bread grows on a tree in a ready-made form. Heh, something came over me and I told them that this is a top-secret plant for the production of atomic bombs :) After a while, they informed me that they were "unexpectedly expecting a child". You see, the radiation has worked, I told them :)

I know that it is better not to speak the word "book" in Russian in a country where English is spoken. In Russian book=книга=kniga. And "kniga" sounds very similar to the word for which in some areas (a lot of the population with dark skin) you can get a punch in the face.

Grain elevator:

Grain_Elevator.jpg
Grain_Elevator.jpg (105.19 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Last edited by Grey on Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenial

Post by xenial »

@Grey
Agatha christie was an english author who unfortunately had to have the title of one of her books renamed because of the aforementioned word for a coloured person although the origins of that word might pertain to the nation of niger or nigeria.

Ten little indians is the reworded title but i can imagine you can guess the original title. :cry:
The english language has become so convoluted with neologistic nonsense and misconstrued definitions that more or less any word can be used as a term of verbal abuse or the real meanings misunderstood..

Take the word ..gay....happy joyful but now revamped and remastered into something else..why on earth use the term gay and not homosexual for goodness sake. :roll: :roll:

True meanings have been lost in time.Censorship over the years has created it's own dictionary with what it considers harmful or abusive. :o

Grey

Post by Grey »

xenial wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:43 pm

you can guess the original title.

Oh, I know this book. I read it in translation as a child. There is an excellent Russian (well, Soviet, they don't make movies so well now :) ) movie "10 little negroes". Good actors, Swallow's Nest castle... The name has not been changed yet, since in Russian this word is neutral.

xenial

Post by xenial »

Grey wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:03 pm
xenial wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:43 pm

you can guess the original title.

Oh, I know this book. I read it in translation as a child. There is an excellent Russian (well, Soviet, they don't make movies so well now :) ) movie "10 little negroes". Good actors, Swallow's Nest castle... The name has not been changed yet, since in Russian this word is neutral.

Indeed some of the worlds greatest authors have been russian but oddly i have not got around to actually reading them myself and i base my claim purely on celebrity alone..dr checkov who incidentally for some bizarre reason has appeared on vodka bottles here in the uk. :o ..Was anton a prolific vodka drinker. :?: ;) ;)

I do have a soft spot for russia and i don't wish to bring a political angle into this but i never understood the cold war and i never will. :oops:

Russian film.?..Again never got round to it and perhaps i should and im kind of surprised agatha christie is even known there..my ignorance perhaps. :?: :roll:

Grey

Post by Grey »

xenial wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:20 pm

Indeed some of the worlds greatest authors have been russian

I'll tell you a secret, but don't tell anyone :) In fact, no one reads them nowadays (Chekhov, Tolstoy). As an exception, only those who need it for work. Everyone else is watching film adaptations, and even then not always.

"War and Peace"? God, there's half a book in French! You don't read the text, but the footnotes at the bottom of the page.

Why did I read English, American and French detective stories as a child? My uncle was very fond of reading in the toilet... He had a huge collection of detectives:
James Hadley Chase, Rex Stout, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Georges Simenon and his commissaire Maigret.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Grey wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:50 pm

My uncle was very fond of reading in the toilet... He had a huge collection of detectives:
James Hadley Chase, Rex Stout, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Georges Simenon and his commissaire Maigret.

My old man was just the same......except with him, there was a huge stack of yachting magazines in a corner of the "smallest room"! Spent hours in there, he did..... :roll:

================================

Diverting as this has been, guys, we're getting wayyyy "off-topic" here! Y'all are free to start a topic on this same subject in 'Truly Off-topic', if ya like..... I'll like as not join you there!

Okay? Let's get back to the desktops, please. :D

Mike. :|

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:25 pm

Diverting as this has been, guys, we're getting wayyyy "off-topic" here! Y'all are free to start a topic on this same subject in 'Truly Off-topic', if ya like..... I'll like as not join you there!

Okay? Let's get back to the desktops, please. :D

Mike. :|

Yes, I have read this great, but dark, book.

Attachments
wdl_arch64_desktop.jpg
wdl_arch64_desktop.jpg (33.8 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
scream.gif
scream.gif (191.21 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Grey

Post by Grey »

wiak wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:53 am

Yes, I have read this great, but dark, book.

Boring bloody book. And the same wallpaper:

How.jpg
How.jpg (171.15 KiB) Viewed 1113 times

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

geo_c wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:25 pm

But in the big scheme of things I'm still surprised that 2-4M is a deal breaker for you, because that's the size of a 3min mp3 file.

There's apples and oranges between frugal and a full install, which is how os are normally used. No one is worried about a 2-4M data file sitting on media, but that is not what we're doing.

I'll try to abbreviate: Frugal is usually in ram. 10s of Megabytes of extra graphics data that we do not use is not 'frugal' by definition of the word. So if you look -- I have a rendering problem in 64 Xenial so I'm in Fossa to check, and it has the same problem.

What stands out in Fossa? THREE installed GTK themes. Can users add more? Of course. But just a few different, visually pleasing is smart engineering...

...and ethical philosophy. We don't do something wasteful because others are. Puppy's mission is efficiency. Any distro can waste.

My problem is Punk Gamma does not render on 64:

64punk-gamma-no-buttons-highlight.png
64punk-gamma-no-buttons-highlight.png (56.02 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

The big box is like the Task Manager progress bar. There is nothing. It looks normal in 32.

Neo Console for contrast:

64neo-console-buttons.png
64neo-console-buttons.png (50.56 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

I didn't highlight everything but you can see more missing in Punk Gamma. Why would there be a discrepancy?

no more tweaking in the afterlife... :|

P.S. My e-mail data is all encrypted on a USB flash, so all I am looking at in ram is how much is used in a reader vs. a browser... keeping those standard puppies lean.

Linux Über Alles

Return to “Users”