Osmo, the Personal Information Manager; and configuring it

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Osmo, the Personal Information Manager; and configuring it

Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,
Until now Osmo didn't have its own thread even though there have been +/- a dozen posts about it. Probably because it's builtin to AFAIK all recent Puppies. The posts have appeared in the context of a problem under a specific Puppy, or as a recommendation.

Still, it should have a thread of its own if for no other reason than to provide a place to ask specific questions such as the following:

I rather like osmo's handling of Tasks =ToDo Lists and have that displaying on bootup. viewtopic.php?p=8686#p8686 Osmo, however, employs (what I think is) the European style of date notation: day --month-- year. Being from an ornery nation which sometimes insists on doing things its own way, I'm accustomed to seeing date notations in month-day-year format. I can live with the difference even though its appearance is momentarily disconcerting. It's not as dangerous as having to drive on 'the wrong' side of the road, or even crossing a street when by habit I look first left, then right, then left again. Still I wouldn't want to have to explain, for example, why on July 1st I showed up almost six months late for an appointment. :shock:
So I wondered if anyone knows how to configure Osmo's date display?

TerryH

Re: Osmo, the Personal Information Manager; and configuring it

Post by TerryH »

Mike,

This is in osmo 0.2.10 in Fossapup64, it may be different in other puppies. There is a Preferences icon in the top panel when osmo is run (2nd from the right), the Calendar settings allows changing the Header Date format, the help gives you what the various values represent.

I attempted to change the setting just by transposing the first 2 values (%e %B), however it doesn't appear to hold for me, on restarting osmo the date format was unchanged. I tried a couple of times, maybe I missed something to confirm changes. I didn't check it any further. So, I went to the config file /root/.osmo/config.xml (hidden file).

I manually changed this line:

Code: Select all

<date_header_format>%e %B %Y</date_header_format>

7 November 2020

To this:

<date_header_format>%B %e %Y</date_header_format>

November 7 2020

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:45 am

I rather like osmo's handling of Tasks =ToDo Lists and have that displaying on bootup. viewtopic.php?p=8686#p8686

Yes, I just started using Osmo for tasks after reading your comment. It's wonderful, simple, organized, and quick to use.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I have setup Osmo in EasyOS so that it runs in the systray at startup -- that will be in the next release of Easy.

Because, I reckon Osmo is so useful, good to have it already running, especially if you want to use the calendar events for reminders -- which can do stuff like popup a notify message and play a tune. Oh yes, it can also blink in the systray to draw your attention that an event has triggered.

I build Easy from Osmo that was compiled in OpenEmbedded, and my woofQ has packages-templates/osmo to configure it. That template folder has a skeleton root/.osmo/config.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<osmo_config>
  <general>
    <date_format>2</date_format>
    <time_format>0</time_format>
    <enable_systray>1</enable_systray>
    <start_minimised_in_systray>1</start_minimised_in_systray>
    <blink_on_events>1</blink_on_events>
    <override_locale_settings>1</override_locale_settings>
    <web_browser>defaultbrowser %s</web_browser>
    <email_client>defaultemail %s</email_client>
    <sound_player>aplay %s</sound_player>
  </general>
  <calendar>
    <di_show_current_day_distance>0</di_show_current_day_distance>
    <di_show_week_number>0</di_show_week_number>
    <di_show_weekend_days>0</di_show_weekend_days>
    <di_show_moon_phase>0</di_show_moon_phase>
  </calendar>
</osmo_config>

...this sets the date format to yyyy/mm/dd, which is universally recognized.

To get it to start in the systray, I have deleted the /usr/share/applications/osmo.desktop file and instead have /root/Startup/osmo_tray:

#!/bin/sh
#/root/.osmo/config.xml is configured to launch minimized, in systray only.
exec osmo

So, for any pup, you could create an osmo PET with those two files in it (and /usr/share/applications/osmo.desktop removed). Though, these days /root/Startup is deprecated in the pups.

Last edited by BarryK on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

if anyone is interested, this is my Osmo source:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/source/alphabetical/o/

wdlkmpx has source here:

https://github.com/wdlkmpx/osmo

Return to “Business”