How to disable Fatdog's shutdown messages?

versatile 64-bit multi-user Linux distribution

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

deksar

How to disable Fatdog's shutdown messages?

Post by deksar »

I installed fatdog64 into my tiny laptop's harddisk (mmc harddisk) as:
1- booted with bootable Fatdog USB, then typed in terminal:
dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M

The system starts up fine and works okay directly from the harddisk without any USB. I just want to disable the following messages during shutdown:
"Create Save File" (You're running in RAM)
and
"You click 'Cancel' during the savefile creation process. Are you sure you want to stop this process?"

How can I disable these two messages appearing each time when I shutdown the PC?

Many thanks in advance,
Best.
deksar

Re: Disabling messages

Post by deksar »

P.S.: I'm not interested in saving anything on HDD.
step

Re: Disabling messages

Post by step »

Hello deksar,
deksar wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:32 am I installed fatdog64 into my tiny laptop's harddisk (mmc harddisk) as:
1- booted with bootable Fatdog USB, then typed in terminal:
dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M
Note that by installing this way you have created a non-writable partition. You will not be able to write any file to the partition. See here for additional information, and a possible workaround (#3).
The system starts up fine and works okay directly from the harddisk without any USB. I just want to disable the following messages during shutdown:
"Create Save File" (You're running in RAM)
and
"You click 'Cancel' during the savefile creation process. Are you sure you want to stop this process?"

How can I disable these two messages appearing each time when I shutdown the PC?
You can't, unless you add a savefile that includes configuration files that tell Fatdog not to ask that question.
To be able to add a savefile to that disk you need a writable partition, which brings us back to my previous comment.
If you have another, writable partition on your machine, then you can create a savefile on that partition.

In other words, to customize a standard ISO you need to be able to save your settings somewhere.
Gobbi

Re: How to disable Fatdog's shutdown messages?

Post by Gobbi »

Hello @deksar
I understand you are not saving the system changes by usual means .
Many years ago when I started using Fatdog64 I had the same problem . I had found a workaround after some time but later , in a post , @jamesbond gave the right hint to another forum member , I don't remember his name now . I applied it and it works .
If you open with a text editor the file /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown and you 'comment' the line 114 , instead of get DISPLAY it should be #get DISPLAY , then those windows don't appear anymore when you shutdown the system .
Be aware :shock: that this way you will also not be able to save your changes of your system .
I hope this helps .
baldronicus

Re: How to disable Fatdog's shutdown messages?

Post by baldronicus »

Hi @deksar , @step and @Gobbi .

I realise that deksar's original post and step's reply predated (or were close to) the release of Fatdog64-811.

If deksar were to use the usb-boot-mbr.img from Fatdog-64-811 would it provide the necessary read-write functionality that step refers to (assuming of course that it would be suitable for use with the mmc and that there is no data on the mmc that deksar would want to hold onto)?

Deksar, I know you do not want to save anything to the drive, however wouldn't you want to save your locale and basic set-up stuff, as well being able to use the approach Gobbi describes, and/or an approach that step might suggest?

Further, if you decided to use multi-session could you just set up the first session with the basic set-up, comment out line 114 in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, as described by Gobbi, and then also comment-out line 161 in the same file (to prevent dialogs and a save at shutdown when using multi-session)? I know this might be more involved, however multi-session mode puts a save.session icon on the desktop so that you have a fall-back should you change your mind about wanting to save anything. You could, sort of, run things as an update-able fixed system (I know, I just don't know how else to put it).

Assuming, of course that commenting out line 161 is acceptable, and doesn't cause any problems. It seems to work OK here (although this is in Fatdog64-810- haven't updated this one yet), but I don't understand the finer points of things.

Edit- As usual I miss things. Thank you to Gobbi, Jamesbond, and the person that asked the original question, for the line 114 approach.

Edit2- Rufwoof has indicated, from this post viewtopic.php?p=7786#p7786 that:
Fatdog in multi-session style with Event Manager save interval set to zero will only save whenever you click the desktop save icon. It will throw out a prompt at shutdown as a reminder, but still not save unless you click the save icon. If you set the save to be on removable such as usb, then obviously you have to attach that prior to clicking save. And if its all loaded into ram at startup then the usb can be unplugged as soon as the system has copied into ram/booted.
Hence, if saving to RAM, or using multi-session, there may not be a need to edit the scripts. I should point out that in the referenced post Rufwoof goes on to discuss considerations re RAM etc., so you might want to check that post. Thanks again Rufwoof.

Edit3-corrected some misconceptions in Edit2.

Thanks.

Return to “FatDog64”