Where's my JWM 'tray' gone? How to get it back..? [SOLVED]

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Where's my JWM 'tray' gone? How to get it back..? [SOLVED]

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Got a wee poser for y'all. I've been meaning to ask this for ages, but just never quite seem to actually get around to it... :oops:

Out of all the Puppies I used to run on the old Compaq rig, Slacko 5.6.0 was my absolute fave. Ran absolutely everything, rock-solid in use, and was a marvellous "daily driver". Unfortunately - like so many of the older 5-series or earlier Puppies, in standard trim it will not boot on this new HP rig.....because of the UEFI stuff.

Older Puppies appear to search for something called "VESA BIOS extensions" during the boot sequence; at any rate, this is the point at which they always quit on me.....

--------------------------------------------

I did a mild remaster on Slacko 560. Upgraded from k3.10.5 to DPup 'Stretch's k4.1.48 - necessary, because at the time k3.10.5 was compiled, my present audio chip didn't even exist in some engineer's imagination, much less in actual silicon. No kernel can be expected to know about stuff that doesn't exist when it's built..! Also, I upgraded from glibc 2.15 to 2.20 while I was in there, so it would handle newer software.

Now; don't ask me how it's working, because I don't have a clue.....but I have a functional version of this Frankenpuppy, installed to a 2GB SD card, running in a USB card reader, and booting off its own bootloader installed to the root of the card; I always start this from the 'Advanced' boot menu. Some of its software is installed; some is portable apps from the big data partition on the new SSD, some of it runs from the 32-bit Xenial 'chroot' on sdb2. It's a right old mish-mash, but somehow it works. Only in Puppy, eh?

------------------------------------------

My query is this; quite simple, really. Somehow, I've managed to "lose" the JWM 'tray'.....and I don't know how to retrieve it; get it to show, like. The .jwmrc-tray config is there in /root, exactly as it should be, with everything that ought to be there.....only it refuses to display. It's not a huge problem; I still have the right-click desktop Menu, and plenty of my usual desktop launchers, but it wasn't till this happened that I suddenly realised just how many items I have that are designed to run from executable icons in the tray. Some have menu entries, but those are only to place the executable into the tray in the first place.

Anybody able to help Uncle Mike sort this one out, please? Any takers?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Where's my JWM 'tray' gone? How to get it back..?

Post by rockedge »

I'll think about it a moment or two. sounds like something is missing in the config. start with /root/.jwmrc, what's it look like?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge :-

Well, here it is.....FWIW. I can't see owt that would stop it from displaying. Can you?

Code: Select all

<JWM>
	<Tray autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" width="0" height="28" layer="above" layout="horizontal" halign="left" valign="bottom" >
		<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
		<TrayButton label="Start" icon="mini-dog.xpm" border="true">root:3</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Show Desktop" icon="mini-desktop.xpm" border="true">showdesktop</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Browser" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/www24.png" border="true">exec:defaultbrowser</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Terminal" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/console24.png" border="true">exec:urxvt</TrayButton>
		<Pager/>
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList maxwidth="27"/>
		<Dock/>
		<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="blinky">
			blinkydelayed -bg "#4D525B"
		</Swallow> -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="xtmix-launcher">
			xtmix -launch
		</Swallow> -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="asapm">
			asapmshell -u 4
		</Swallow> -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="freememapplet" width="34">
			freememappletshell
		</Swallow> -->
		<Swallow name="xload" width="120">xload -nolabel -bg "gray45" -update 1 &
		</Swallow>
		<Clock format="%a %d %b %H:%M">PupClockset</Clock>
	</Tray>
</JWM>

Haven't done much in the way of customization with it, yet; just got a bunch of 'launcher' icons over on the right-hand side in the notification area.....but they never show up here, for some reason I've never got to the bottom of. And Thunderbird's 'FireTray' extension is set to display there, too.

What d'you reckon? I vaguely recall I've had this happen once or twice before with other Puppies; a single back-slash, or a full stop or punctuation mark in the wrong place, and the thing just disappears. On those occasions I managed to backtrack and recover it, but I've no idea what I've gone & done here.....

Mike. :?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I assume you tried to do a x server restart or a complete reboot.

Compared to my .jwmrc-tray

In yours:

<TaskList maxwidth="27"/>

Try changing this to:

<TaskList maxwidth="200"/>

In your .jwmrc-tray:

Make it look like this:

<Spacer width="4"/>

Add the spacer width before the other stuff.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 pm

Well, here it is.....FWIW. I can't see owt that would stop it from displaying. Can you?

rockedge asked about /root/.jwmrc, not .jwmrc-tray or whatever it is called.

The first thing you should do is run fixmenus; jwm -restart . If your template is still intact and only .jwmrc is corrupted, then this should fix the issue.

The file you posted should be referenced in your /root/.jwmrc within an <Include> tag. Unless it is overridden by other <Include> files it should produce the missing tray.

I tested your code. Syntax is correct and tray displays as expected.

Slightly OT: I accessed this page with Chrome browser and since your code is relatively long the code box *should* have srollbars like in Pale Moon, but it doesn't. Is that normal? I never used Chrome before.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MochiMoppel :-

Hallo, Mochi. Oops; my bad. Yes, I did misread that request, you're quite right. This is what was asked for:-

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<JWM>

<!-- IMPORTANT, ONLY EDIT /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc -->
<!-- jwm menu for puppy Linux -->
<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="24" onroot="3">

<Menu label="Desktop" icon="x24.png" height="16">
<Program label="Add a Program to the Rox Desktop" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/jwm-right-click-action.png">/usr/local/JWM-Right-Click-Substitute/right-click-actions</Program>
<Program label="Desktop drive icons manager" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">eventmanager desktop</Program>
<Program label="FlSynclient configure your touchpad " icon="flsynclient.png">flsynclient</Program>
<Program label="Fontwizard" icon="x16.xpm">fontwizard</Program>
<Program label="GifStart" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/GifStart.png">/root/my-applications/bin/GifStart</Program>
<Program label="GifStop" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/GifStop.png">/root/my-applications/bin/GifStop</Program>
<Program label="JWM Window Manager Settings" icon="mini.window3d.xpm">jwmconfig</Program>
<Program label="JWMDesk Manager" icon="/usr/local/jwmdesk/icons/jwmdesk64.png">jwmdesk</Program>
<Program label="PupClockset manager" icon="/usr/local/PupClockset/icons/clockformat48.png">PupClockset</Program>
<Program label="PuppyPin-Reset" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/refresh.svg">/usr/local/bin/ppin-reset.sh</Program>
<Program label="ScreenSaver Control" icon="/usr/local/sscontrol/icons/sscontrol.svg">/usr/local/sscontrol/sscontrol</Program>
<Program label="Chtheme GTK/Qt theme chooser" icon="mini.window3d.xpm">gtk_chtheme_wrapper</Program>
<Program label="Configure Xlock screen locking" icon="mini-lock.xpm">/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -configure</Program>
<Program label="Desksetup Templates for Desk Icons" icon="mini-desktop.xpm">/usr/local/desksetup/desksetup.sh</Program>
<Program label="Desktop icon switcher" icon="mini-icons.xpm">icon_switcher</Program>
<Program label="Nathan Wallpaper Setter" icon="wallpaper.png">wallpaper</Program>
<Program label="Pcur cursor selector" icon="default_left_ptr.png">pcur</Program>
<Program label="Set global font size" icon="mini-x.xpm">set-xftdpi</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Chooselocale country localisation" icon="mini-font.xpm">chooselocale</Program>
<Program label="Psync Time Server Synchronisation" icon="mini-clock.xpm">/usr/local/psync/psync</Program>
<Program label="Set date and time" icon="mini-clock.xpm">set-time-for-puppy</Program>
<Program label="Set hardware-clock type" icon="mini-clock.xpm">set_hwclock_type</Program>
<Program label="Set timezone" icon="mini-clock.xpm">timezone-set</Program>
<Program label="pupX set properties of X" icon="mini-Desktop-settings.xpm">pupx</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Gfontsel font viewer" icon="mini-font.xpm">gfontsel</Program>
<Program label="Xclipboard" icon="mini-clipboard.xpm">xclipboard </Program>
<Program label="Xfontsel font viewer" icon="mini-font.xpm">xfontsel -bg "#e0ffe0"</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="System" icon="pc24.png" height="16">
<Program label="BootManager configure bootup" icon="so.xpm">bootmanager</Program>
<Program label="CPU Frequency Scaling Tool" icon="/usr/share/icons/devices/cpu.png">wcpufreq</Program>
<Program label="HardInfo hardware information" icon="hardinfo.png">hardinfo</Program>
<Program label="IPInfo network information" icon="mini-telnet.xpm">ipinfo</Program>
<Program label="Mate System Monitor" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/SysMon-icon.png">/usr/bin/mate-system-monitor</Program>
<Program label="Pprocess process manager" icon="mini-run.xpm">pprocess</Program>
<Program label="Pup-Kview kernel module viewer" icon="/usr/local/PupControl/icons/Pup-Kview48.png">/usr/local/PupControl/Pup-Kview</Program>
<Program label="Pup-SysInfo system information" icon="/usr/local/PupControl/icons/Pup-SysInfo48.png">/usr/local/PupControl/Pup-SysInfo</Program>
<Program label="PupScan interface information" icon="Card.xpm">pupscan</Program>
<Program label="Sys-Info System Information" icon="/usr/share/icons/sys-info.png">sys-info</Program>
<Program label="Video Info GLX" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/video-info.png">video-info-glx</Program>
<Program label="Video-Info Graphics Information" icon="/usr/share/icons/video-info.png">video-info</Program>
<Program label="WineCFG" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/winecfg.png">/root/my-applications/bin/WineCFG</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Htop System Process Viewer" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-eyes.xpm">/usr/bin/urxvt -e htop</Program>
<Program label="LockState" icon="lockstate.png">lockstate</Program>
<Program label="Pschedule task on time" icon="mini-clock.xpm">/usr/local/bin/pschedule</Program>
<Program label="Puppy Event Manager" icon="so.xpm">eventmanager</Program>
<Program label="Top view running processes" icon="mini-run.xpm">rxvt -font 7x14 -bg "#c0c0c0" -fg black -T Top -n Top -e top</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Format floppy disk" icon="mini-diskette.xpm">Floppy_Formatter</Program>
<Program label="GParted partition manager" icon="gparted.xpm">gparted_shell</Program>
<Program label="Grub4Dos bootloader config" icon="gnibbles.png">grub4dosconfig</Program>
<Program label="Legacy GRUB Config 2013" icon="grubconfig.xpm">legacy_grub_2013</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="CUPS manage printing" icon="tb_print.xpm">cups_shell</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Pdisk partition manager" icon="Pdisk.xpm">Pdisk</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Login and Security Manager" icon="mini-System-security.xpm">loginmanager</Program>
<Program label="Xlock lock screen" icon="mini-lock.xpm">/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -locknow</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Setup" icon="configuration24.png" height="16">
<Program label="Check dependencies installed pkg" icon="pet16.xpm">/usr/local/petget/check_deps.sh</Program>
<Program label="Default Applications Chooser" icon="Executable.xpm">defaults-chooser</Program>
<Program label="Puppy Package Manager" icon="pet16.xpm">/usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh</Program>
<Program label="QuickSetup first-run settings" icon="/usr/local/video_upgrade/xsettings24.xpm">quicksetup</Program>
<Program label="SFS-Load on-the-fly" icon="squashfs-image.png">sfs_load</Program>
<Program label="Sfs Manager download and install sfs files" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/squashfs-image.png">sfs_mgr</Program>
<Program label="Updates Manager -latest from Slackware" icon="pet16.xpm">updates_mgr</Program>
<Program label="Wizard Wizard" icon="mini-dog.xpm">wizardwizard</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="ALSA sound Wizard" icon="wizard16.xpm">alsawizard</Program>
<Program label="CD/DVD drive Wizard" icon="wizard16.xpm">cdburner-wizard</Program>
<Program label="CUPS Printer Wizard" icon="wizard16.xpm">cups_shell</Program>
<Program label="Internet Connection Wizard" icon="wizard16.xpm">connectwizard</Program>
<Program label="Linux-Firewall Wizard" icon="wizard16.xpm">rxvt -e firewallinstallshell</Program>
<Program label="Mouse/keyboard Wizard" icon="wizard16.xpm">input-wizard</Program>
<Program label="Multiple Sound Card Wizard" icon="wizard16.xpm">Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard</Program>
<Program label="Video Upgrade Wizard" icon="x16.xpm">video_upgrade_wizard</Program>
<Program label="Xorg Video Wizard" icon="wizard16.xpm">xorgwizard</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="BootFlash install Puppy to USB" icon="mini-ray.xpm">/usr/sbin/bootflash</Program>
<Program label="F2FS Installer - Flash Drives" icon="mini-ray.xpm">f2fs-usb-installer</Program>
<Program label="Puppy universal installer" icon="mini-ray.xpm">/usr/sbin/puppyinstaller</Program>
<Program label="Remaster Puppy live-CD" icon="mini-ray.xpm">/usr/sbin/remasterpup2</Program>
<Program label="Remove builtin packages" icon="mini-ray.xpm">/usr/sbin/remove_builtin</Program>
<Program label="WakePup create boot floppy" icon="mini-ray.xpm">wakepup2</Program>
</Menu>

<Separator/>

<Menu label="Utility" icon="utility24.png" height="16">
<Program label="Flash Player Preferences" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/flash-player-properties.png">flash-player-properties</Program>
<Program label="Pet Maker" icon="mini-Utility-package.xpm">petmaker</Program>
<Program label="PupControl panel" icon="/usr/local/PupControl/icons/control-panel_48.png">PupControl</Program>
<Program label="SFSconvert version converter" icon="/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME/application-x-squashfs-image.png">/usr/local/sfsconvert/sfsconvert</Program>
<Program label="UExtract" icon="UExtract.png">/usr/local/apps/UExtract/AppRun</Program>
<Program label="XArchive archiver" icon="package.xpm">xarchive</Program>
<Program label="Xdelta file difference manager" icon="gz.xpm">xdelta_gui</Program>
<Program label="Xfdiff-cut compare two files" icon="xfdiff.png">xfdiff-cut</Program>
<Program label="snap2 snapshot backup" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/snap2.xpm">/usr/bin/snap2</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="MoManager create non-English Puppy" icon="chooselocale.xpm">momanager</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Pbackup Backup and Sync" icon="mini-diskette.xpm">pbackup</Program>
<Program label="Pmirror backup a directory" icon="mini-folder.xpm">/usr/local/pmirror/pmirror</Program>
<Program label="Pudd copy drive/partition" icon="mini-diskette.xpm">Pudd</Program>
<Program label="Resize personal storage file" icon="so.xpm">resizepfile.sh</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Gexec execute a command" icon="gexec.xpm">gexec</Program>
<Program label="Urxvt terminal emulator" icon="mini-sh.xpm">urxvt</Program>
<Program label="Xconsole monitor console" icon="mini-sh1.xpm">xconsole -verbose</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Filesystem" icon="folder24.png" height="16">
<Program label="ROX-Filer file manager" icon="mini-filemgr.xpm">rox</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Pmount mount/unmount drives" icon="mini-diskette.xpm">pmount</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="GWhere disk cataloger" icon="gwhere.xpm">gwhere</Program>
<Program label="Pfind file finder" icon="mini-search.xpm">pfind</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Gdmap graphical disk usage" icon="gdmap.xpm">gdmap</Program>
<Program label="PRename batch file renamer, simple" icon="prename.png">prename</Program>
<Program label="Partview free space in drives" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">partview</Program>
<Program label="Startmount Mount drives and programs at start" icon="/usr/local/Startmount/startmount.xpm">/usr/local/Startmount/Startmount</Program>
<Program label="gFnRename batch file renamer" icon="gfnrename.png">gfnrename</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Graphic" icon="paint24.png" height="16">
<Program label="Animated GIF on Desktop" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/gif-file.png">/usr/local/bin/gifondesktop</Program>
<Program label="GNU Image Manipulation Program" icon="gimp.png">gimp-2.8</Program>
<Program label="PhotoScape" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/PhotoScape.png">/root/my-applications/bin/PhotoScape</Program>
<Program label="mtPaint image editor" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/mtpaint.png">/usr/bin/mtpaint</Program>
<Program label="InkLite vector editor" icon="inkscape.xpm">inkscapelite</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Viewnior image viewer" icon="viewnior.png">viewnior</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="PupCamera digital camera access" icon="mini-camera.xpm">pupcamera</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Xsane image scanner" icon="scanner16.xpm">xsaneshell</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Gcolor2 color chooser" icon="gcolor2.png">gcolor2</Program>
<Program label="PeasyPrint graphic/photo printing" icon="tb_print.xpm">/usr/sbin/peasyprint</Program>
<Program label="PeasyScale JPEG resizer" icon="mini-camera.xpm">peasyscale</Program>
<Program label="Peasyscan simple image scanner" icon="peasyscan.xpm">/usr/local/peasyscan/peasyscan</Program>
<Program label="Take a Shot!" icon="tas.xpm">tas</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Document" icon="word24.png" height="16">
<Program label="MasterPDFEditor-Portable" icon="masterpdfeditor4">mpdfed4</Program>
<Program label="Abiword word processor" icon="abiword_16.xpm">abiword</Program>
<Program label="Textmaker 2019" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/textmaker.png">/usr/bin/textmaker18free</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Geany" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/geany.png">geany</Program>
<Program label="Leafpad Simple Text Editor" icon="leafpad.png">leafpad</Program>
<Program label="MP console editor" icon="mp16.xpm">rxvt -geometry 80x25 -e mp</Program>
<Program label="e3 console editor" icon="mini-edit.xpm">rxvt -geometry 80x25 -e e3ne</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="PZCHMView CHM Viewer" icon="mini-book1.xpm">pzchmview</Program>
<Program label="Pdict online dictionary" icon="mini-book1.xpm">pdict</Program>
<Program label="PeasyPDF convert/build/extract" icon="mini-pdf.xpm">peasypdf</Program>
<Program label="ePDFView PDF viewer" icon="mini-pdf.xpm">epdfview</Program>
<Program label="puppyPDF convert file to PDF" icon="mini-pdf.xpm">puppypdf</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Business" icon="spread24.png" height="16">
<Program label="Homebank personal accounting" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/homebank.png">/usr/bin/homebank</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Gnumeric" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gnumeric.png">gnumeric</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Calculator simple and scientific calculations" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/galculator.png">galculator</Program>
<Program label="Gmeasures units converter" icon="gmeasures.xpm">gmeasures</Program>
<Program label="Xcalc scientific calculator" icon="mini-calc.xpm">xcalc</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Personal" icon="date24.png" height="16">
<Program label="DidiWiki personal wiki" icon="wiki_16.xpm">didiwiki-gui</Program>
<Program label="Figaros Password Manager 2" icon="fpm2.png">fpm2</Program>
<Program label="NoteCase notes manager" icon="notecase16.xpm">notecase</Program>
<Program label="Osmo personal organizer" icon="osmo.png">osmo</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="PPLOG personal blog" icon="mini-book2.xpm">pplog_gui</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Bcrypt file encryption" icon="gz.xpm">bcrypt_gui</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="pClock Time tools" icon="mini-clock.xpm">pclock</Program>
<Program label="pTiming event timer system" icon="mini-clock.xpm">ptiming</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Network" icon="connect24.png" height="16">
<Program label="BitMeter OS Web Interface" icon="/var/www/bitmeter/favicon.ico">/var/lib/bitmeter/runweb.sh</Program>
<Program label="Firewallstate Firewall Tray Icon" icon="mini-firewall.xpm">/usr/local/firewallstate/firewallstatererun</Program>
<Program label="Gpptp PPTP VPN client" icon="pc-2x.xpm">gpptp</Program>
<Program label="Linux-Firewall firewall" icon="mini-firewall.xpm">rxvt -e firewallinstallshell</Program>
<Program label="PcurlFtp file sharing" icon="pc-2x.xpm">rox -d /root/File-Sharing</Program>
<Program label="PeasyPort LAN scanner" icon="apm-online.xpm">peasyport</Program>
<Program label="Pnethood access windows shares" icon="/usr/local/apps/pnethood/network-transmit.png">pnethood</Program>
<Program label="Premote rdesktop/vnc/ssh" icon="pc-2x.xpm">/usr/bin/premote</Program>
<Program label="Tixati" icon="tixati.png">/mnt/sdb1/DATA/Tixati_portable/tixati_Linux32bit %U</Program>
<Program label="YASSM Samba share login" icon="/usr/local/yassm/samba-menu.xpm">/usr/local/yassm/samba-login</Program>
<Program label="YASSM Samba share search" icon="/usr/local/yassm/samba-menu.xpm">/usr/local/yassm/samba-search</Program>
<Program label="YASSM Samba share select" icon="/usr/local/yassm/samba-menu.xpm">/usr/local/yassm/samba-select</Program>
<Program label="pns-tool connect from commandline" icon="networkout.xpm">pns-tool-wrapper</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Growl Security Enhancements" icon="tin-hat.png">growl</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="PureFTPd FTP server" icon="pc2www.xpm">run-pureftpd</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Internet" icon="www24.png" height="16">
<Program label="GetFlash Install Flashplayer" icon="/usr/share/icons/flash-player-properties.png">getflash</Program>
<Program label="XChat IRC" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xchat.png">xchat</Program>
<Program label="gFTP ftp client" icon="mini-ftp.xpm">gftp</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Chroot ALSAWizard" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/Volume.png">/usr/bin/alsawizardchroot</Program>
<Program label="Firefox" icon="firefox.png">firefox</Program>
<Program label="FirefoxESR-Portable" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png">/usr/bin/ffchroot</Program>
<Program label="Iron 84 (chroot)" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/iron.png">/usr/bin/ironchroot "$@"</Program>
<Program label="PaleMoon browser" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/palemoon.png">/root/my-applications/bin/palemoon32</Program>
<Program label="Slimjet-Portable" icon="slimjet">slimjetchroot</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Sylpheed" icon="sylpheed.png">sylpheed</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="PMirrorget website downloader" icon="mini-lower.xpm">pmwget</Program>
<Program label="PuppyPhone Internet telephone" icon="phone16.png">psip32</Program>
<Program label="Pwsget secure file downloader" icon="pwget.png">pwsget</Program>
<Program label="Tixati" icon="tixati.png">/mnt/sdb1/DATA/Tixati_portable/tixati_Linux32bit %U</Program>
<Program label="Transmission" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/transmission.png">transmission-gtk</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Secure ssh remote login" icon="mini-sh1.xpm">securetelnetshell</Program>
<Program label="Ssh-gui secure remote login" icon="mini-sh1.xpm">ssh-gui</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Pup-Advert-Blocker block online ads" icon="adblock.xpm">pup-advert-blocker</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Multimedia" icon="multimedia24.png" height="16">
<Program label="GNOME MPlayer" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/gnome-mplayer.png">gnome-mplayer</Program>
<Program label="Luvcview web cam application" icon="mini-camera.xpm">luvcview</Program>
<Program label="MPlayer" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/MPlayer.png">gmplayer</Program>
<Program label="SMPlayer" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/smplayer.svg">smplayer</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="FFConvert multimedia converter" icon="ffconvert.png">ffconvert</Program>
<Program label="OpenShot video editor" icon="openshot.png">openshot</Program>
<Program label="RecordMyDesktop" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/screencapture.png">gtk-recordmydesktop</Program>
<Program label="VLC (chroot)" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/vlc.png">/usr/bin/vlcchroot</Program>
<Program label="XVidCap Screen Capture" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xvidcap.png">/usr/bin/xvidcap</Program>
<Program label="mhWaveEdit audio recorder/editor" icon="mhwaveedit.xpm">mhwaveedit</Program>
<Program label="pupRadio/pupTelly streaming media" icon="Animation.xpm">pupradio</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="CD player/ripper (Pmusic)" icon="mini-cd.xpm">pmusic_CD </Program>
<Program label="DeaDBeeF" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/deadbeef.png">deadbeef</Program>
<Program label="Mixer generic sound mixer" icon="mini-sound.xpm">defaultmixer</Program>
<Program label="Pmusic -player -manager -grabber" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/pmusic.svg">pmusic</Program>
<Program label="Precord mp3,ogg,wav recorder/player" icon="mini-record.xpm">/usr/bin/precord</Program>
<Program label="pEqualizer Graphical Equalizer" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/eq.png">/usr/local/pequalizer/pequalizer</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Avidemux" icon="avidemux.png">avidemux</Program>
<Program label="GUVC-View" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/guvcview/webcam-icon2.png">guvcview</Program>
<Program label="Pavrecord Audio-Video recorder/player" icon="mini-record.xpm">/usr/bin/pavrecord</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Burniso2cd burn iso file to CD/DVD" icon="mini-cd.xpm">burniso2cd</Program>
<Program label="ISOMaster iso file editor" icon="mini-cd.xpm">isomaster</Program>
<Program label="Pburn CD/DVD/Blu-ray writer" icon="/usr/local/pburn/pburn20.png">pburn</Program>
<Program label="Pdvdrsab DVD rip/shrink/author/burn" icon="mini-cd.xpm">pdvdrsab</Program>
</Menu>
<Menu label="Fun" icon="games24.png" height="16">
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="PicPuz jigsaw puzzle" icon="picpuz.png">picpuz</Program>
<Program label="Rubix cube" icon="cube16.xpm">rubix</Program>
 <Separator/> 
<Program label="Xsoldier space war" icon="xsoldier.xpm">xsoldier</Program>
</Menu>

<Separator/>

<Program label="AudioCardQuickSelect" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/audiorecord.png">exec /usr/local/bin/audiocardchooser</Program>

<Separator/>

<Program label="Help" icon="help24.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html</Program>

<Program label="LEAVE..." icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/shutdown48.png">exec /usr/sbin/logout_gui</Program>

</Menu>

</RootMenu>

<Group>
<Class>Gaim</Class>
<Option>sticky</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>xmms</Class>
<Option>icon:xmms.xpm</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>absvolume</Class>
<Name>absvolume</Name>
<Option>nolist</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Name>xmessage</Name>
<!-- <Option>icon:info16.xpm</Option> -->
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Name>igucal</Name>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>layer:above</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Class>gtkdialog-splash</Class>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<!--	<Option>layer:9</Option> -->
<Option>nofocus</Option>
</Group>

<!-- Additional tray attributes: autohide, width, border, layer, layout -->
<!-- Tray definition moved to separate file: .jwmrc-tray -->
<Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray</Include>

<!-- Visual Styles -->

<!--	<BorderStyle>
<Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>
<Width>4</Width>
<Height>19</Height>
<Foreground>black</Foreground>
<Background>gray90</Background>
<ActiveForeground>white</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>#4A5966</ActiveBackground>
</BorderStyle> -->

<!-- new for jwm 2.0, replaces borderstyle above -->
<WindowStyle>
<Font>DejaVu Sans-10</Font>
<Width>3</Width>
<Height>22</Height>
<Active>
<Text>black</Text>
<Title>#ffda51:#ffa100</Title>
<!--       <Corner>white</Corner> -->
<Outline>black</Outline>
</Active>
<Inactive>
<Text>#aaaaaa</Text>
<Title>#fffa71:#ffda51</Title>
<!--       <Corner>#aaaaaa</Corner> -->
<Outline>gray70</Outline>
</Inactive>
</WindowStyle>

<PagerStyle>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Foreground>#ffc100</Foreground>
<Background>#ffc100</Background>
<ActiveForeground>#ff8100</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>#ffa100</ActiveBackground>
</PagerStyle>

<MenuStyle>
<Background>#ffda51</Background>
<ActiveForeground>black</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>#ffda51:#ffa100</ActiveBackground>
</MenuStyle>

<PopupStyle>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Background>yellow</Background>
</PopupStyle>

<!-- <Icons> -->
<!--	<IconPath>$HOME/.icons</IconPath> -->
<IconPath>/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons</IconPath>
<IconPath>/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps</IconPath>
<IconPath>/usr/share/pixmaps</IconPath>
<IconPath>/usr/local/share/pixmaps</IconPath>
<!-- </Icons> -->

<StartupCommand>
</StartupCommand>

<!-- Virtual Desktops -->
<!-- Name tags can be contained within Desktops for desktop names. -->
<Desktops count="3"/>

<!-- Double click speed (in milliseconds) -->
<DoubleClickSpeed>400</DoubleClickSpeed>

<!-- Double click delta (in pixels) -->
<DoubleClickDelta>3</DoubleClickDelta>

<!-- The focus model (sloppy or click) -->
<FocusModel>click</FocusModel>

<!-- The snap mode (none, screen, or border) -->
<SnapMode distance="10">border</SnapMode>

<!-- The move mode (outline or opaque) -->
<MoveMode>opaque</MoveMode>

<!-- The resize mode (outline or opaque) -->
<ResizeMode>opaque</ResizeMode>

<!-- Key bindings -->
<Key key="Up">up</Key>
<Key key="Down">down</Key>
<Key key="Right">right</Key>
<Key key="Left">left</Key>
<Key key="h">left</Key>
<Key key="j">down</Key>
<Key key="k">up</Key>
<Key key="l">right</Key>
<Key key="Return">select</Key>
<Key key="Escape">escape</Key>

<Key mask="A" key="Tab">next</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F4">close</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="#">desktop#</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F1">root:3</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F2">window</Key>

<!-- <Include>/root/.jwm/themes/jwm-default</Include> -->
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme</Include>
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal</Include>
</JWM>

As for Chrome not displaying scrollbars for the code-box, yes; that is perfectly normal. BTW, if you need to scroll sideways in Chrome, just hold 'Shift' down at the same time; it translates vertical movement into horizontal movement instead.

I'm glad you're 'onboard', since I know you run Slacko 5.6.0 yourself. I had thought of sending you a PM, but I thought, 'No'; if you found this thread and replied, then it's 'in fora', where everybody can see it....better all round, that way.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hmm. Curious.

I ran 'fixmenus'. Then 'jwm-restart', annnd.....

# jwm-restart: command not found

Huh????

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:04 pm

Hmm. Curious.

I ran 'fixmenus'. Then 'jwm-restart', annnd.....

# jwm-restart: command not found

Huh????

The command is jwm, there's a space before the -restart.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Right !! The space(s) before the option switch is needed!

jwm  -start
jwm  -reload
jwm  -restart

the road begins with /root/.jwmrc which will contain an include statement to load the next part of the configuration. These lead to the next configurations which themselves contain more include statements. Follow the road to the jwm-tray config!

<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme</Include>
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal</Include>

For example in KLV-Boxer, the jwm configuration is 'monolithic' or all the configuration is in one file. ~/.jwmrc
Puppy Linux to add many more customization features which should be easy to use, is equipped with more configurations set in seperate files. Like in /root/.jwm which in turn are accessed by scripts and GUI's

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Yah, quite right, Terry! It's a while since I've run that manually, and my brain hurts today... :D

After running

fixmenus
jwm -restart

.....something flashes up, but very, very fast.....and then it's gone again. So I'm not sure where to go from here.

So; why does ~/.jwmrc NOT have an "<include>" tag for .jwmrc-tray? From what y'all are saying, it should have one. So why's it not there?

Me confused. Brain hurts even more..... (*ouch*) JWM always has this effect on me; I hate .xml markup language!

Mike. ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh Just to check....is the screen resolution correct?
I just had the experiance that in a QEMU machine the tray gets pushed below the visible edge. This is most likely not the problem but another check off the list.

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

So; why does ~/.jwmrc NOT have an "<include>" tag for .jwmrc-tray? From what y'all are saying, it should have one. So why's it not there?

The <Include> tag is between <Group> settings and Visual Styles...

</Group>

<!-- Additional tray attributes: autohide, width, border, layer, layout -->
<!-- Tray definition moved to separate file: .jwmrc-tray -->
<Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray</Include>

<!-- Visual Styles -->

jwm -p parses the configuration files and should report if it's a configuration error...

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@mikewalsh Too much tinkering, your .jwmrc is wrong. Open it and find

<Program label="Xsoldier space war" icon="xsoldier.xpm">xsoldier</Program>
</Menu>

<Separator/>

<Program label="AudioCardQuickSelect" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/audiorecord.png">exec /usr/local/bin/audiocardchooser</Program>

<Separator/>

<Program label="Help" icon="help24.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html</Program>

<Program label="LEAVE..." icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/shutdown48.png">exec /usr/sbin/logout_gui</Program>

</Menu>

</RootMenu>

Remove the orphaned red </Menu> tag (a corresponding opening tag <Menu> is missing!), save the file and then run jwm -restart. The tray will appear as you expect it. If it does, you'll have to make the same change in /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc. To be sure that this went smoothly, run - you guessed it - fixmenus; jwm -restart

You're welcome! ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

No, it's not a wrong resolution, or anything similar.....though the suggestion IS well-taken. Mochi has hit it on the head, as usual.....he's a whizz with this JWM stuff, and I've obtained several 'fixes' for desktop issues simply by reading his posts over the years. (And just when I think I'm getting the hang of XML markup, another 'twist' appears; Mochi always seems to have the answer for it, though.)

----------------------------------------------

@bigpup :-

There's a very good reason why my 'Tasklist' entry code has a much smaller value than yours. My tasklist entries are 'iconified'.....I only have the icon for each process showing, and have cut all the text out. Because I run various different custom font sizes in different Puppies, this value can - and does - vary anywhere between 26 and 31 as a rule, depending on the height I have the tray set to.

I don't like all that text showing. Makes the tray look untidy when you get several windows open..... :P

---------------------------------------------

@MochiMoppel :-

My proof-reading skills are obviously rubbish compared to yours..! I read through that several times, and still didn't spot it.....but you're quite right. That orphan "</Menu>" WAS gumming up the works.

I've developed my own audio quick-card changer script - which doesn't need a re-boot for it to read different config files, etc - and I like to add a MenuEntry for this, separated into its own category, down near the bottom. Has to be added manually, though, because it's not something radky's JWMDesk - which I use in almost all Puppies - is designed to do. Looks like I left the extra "</Menu>" item in-situ by mistake; I get mesmerised by all those 'open' & 'close' tags after a while.

Thank you, dear boy; you're really very good with this JWM 'detective' work. That is much appreciated, because this has been bugging me for some weeks now. Cheers!

(As you say.....too much 'tinkering'!) :oops:

Mike. :thumbup:

Return to “Users”