What is WeeDogLinux and how does it differ?

What is WeeDogLinux and docs

wiak

What is WeeDogLinux and how does it differ?

Post by wiak »

This document creation date: 02May2019 Revised: 19Jul2020

WeeDogLinux (original version was created May2019) can be as large or small as you like, being any resultant distro created using the simple two-script FirstRib core build system (build_firstrib_rootfs and build_weedog_initrd). A working internet connection is required to complete the build. Unlike most build systems, the default smallest WeeDog build time (including download) takes only a matter of minutes.

NOTE: For simplicity, when no iso is provided, WeeDogLinux now also provides a single build script (for example: make_Arch_amd64-openboxFull_latest_rc7.sh) which does everything else for the user (it downloads any addition extras and auto-runs the underlying build_firstrib_rootfs and build_weedog_initrd scripts with the correct build parameters for the particular distro flavour being built). The build result is a typical well-understood frugal install which can immediately thereafter be booted via your grub4dos menu.lst or grub2 grub.cfg. You can find current downloadable iso(s) and make_xxx auto-build script via the Release Announcements thread here:

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=134

Note also that WeeDog Linux is not derived from Puppy Linux, and does not use aufs for its provided (typical frugal install) facilities. Instead WDL uses kernel.org approved overlayfs. However, FirstRib WeeDog was originally discussed in one of the old Puppy forum threads since I was a longterm regular on that forum. Indeed WeeDogLinux initrd system is fully independent, but WDL does currently rely on the full-multiuser-capable upstream repos of its 'flavour' distributions (being currently: Arch Linux, Void Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, Devuan, SliTaz). A major plus is that it also can use the official package managers of these repos allowing full solid and reliable multi-user compatibility with upstream, whilst providing lowest CPU and RAM usage performance.

The philosophy employed in FirstRib design is to keep all scripts short, simple, and modular, such that they are easy to read and understand, and thus easy to modify, develop, and maintain.

A key aspect of FirstRib build design is to use only two components to build the rootfilesystem: busybox + a native standalone static compiled package manager (currently Void Linux xbps package manager and for debian-based flavours: debootstrap). That design inherently allows FirstRib to construct a fully upstream-compatible root filesystem of any desired complexity, from that of a commandline only system, up to full desktop supported natively by the upstream distro repositories. A simply implemented optional plugin facility is also provided, which allows any developer to provide their own recipe additions for any desired-complexity of the resulting final build.

The build WeeDog initrd shell script is also short and simple by design, including generation of a short and simple initrd/init which uses overlay filesystem to provide frugal install save persistence, typical load squashfs capabilities (including currently unique ability to load uncompressed physical directories into the layers hierarchy), and copy2ram option:

https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org/viewto ... p=156#p156

Even the smallest WeeDogLinux build includes ethernet or wifi connection capability. Thereafter, it is only a matter of installing additional packages (individually or, for example, via Void or Debian-based Linux meta-packages) to turn the system into a full X gui desktop. The result is a flexible, build-it-yourself-how-you-wish, generally highly CPU-efficient, low RAM usage system.

For original of above see: https://www.tinylinux.info/post/distrib ... m-members/

Another major feature of FirstRib WeeDogLinux, is that users are encouraged to build their own version via a provided user-build-plugin system:

WeeDogLinux forum site wrote:

User build-plugin contributions are encouraged and greatly appreciated and will be published on WeeDogLinux forum and/or via WeeDogLinux github site. Please embed your name as contributor along with plugin revision date via header comments inside the plugin file. Let me know if a published plugin has omitted your contributor-name/revision-date and I will add these in:

https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org/viewto ... p=122#p122

Erik (rockedge) is one of the major plugin contributors.

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bark-woof-fetch

Re: What is WeeDogLinux and how does it differ?

Post by bark-woof-fetch »

Hi wiak, hope all is well!

I haven't puppied since May and are looking at sketchy notes unfortunately, my apologies, so more forum help is appreciated as ever.

Re. boot options, what are the main differences btw WDLs and DebianDogs with live/porteus?

My goal is a boot menu that allows switching between diff. frugal installs for diff. purposes, either to RAM or not and either with or without persistence save file option.

Like in MX/antiX where diff. frugal files (home, root or both) are stored alongside each other on the same partition and can be picked on boot. I believe they are NTFS compatible as well as ext.

So far I've only found the boot manager where SFS files can be flagged as launched on boot, I guess I'm looking for something similar with diff. profiles for defined purposes and their respective set of packages and a save file option. Or simply build diff. WDLs or Dogs for diff. purposes.

Return to “About”