Firefox audio stopped working in Bionicpup32

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

maoo

Firefox audio stopped working in Bionicpup32

Post by maoo »

Hi people, another question.

Ive installed firefox in bionicpup32, everything went OK, everything was working perfectly. But in one moment audio stoped working. Just in firefox. Youtube and netflix video worked ok, but no audio at all. as ive said, it was working, the volume was a little low so i tried to increase it and after a while it just stopped working...some idea? thanks for your time, im learning a lot thanks to your help. cheers!

pd: In light browser audio worked ok but not netflix, so it shouldnt be an audio problem. But I like firefox a lot, so...
Please scuse my english, its not my native language, thanks for your time, i really apreciate it. Cheers
taersh

Re: Firefox audio problem/ bionicpup32

Post by taersh »

Firefox needs pulse audio to play audio.
Usually Puppy doesn't have pulse audio.
There's a .pet package somewhere to get Firefox working with audio.
Though, I can't recall how the package is named and/or where to find it.
Someone else might give you the clue, as it can be solved at least.

I like Firefox also, but I prefer to use it without sound. It's very annoying and confusing to me to visit a website and suddenly some audio starts playing event though I have auto play disabled for videos. This makes my heart beating fast, and I don't like it.

When I decide to watch a video, I'm using either Palemoon browser or even downloading the video to watch later offline.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If Fifefox Audio did work and now it does not.
You had everything needed.

Does audio work in any audio player?

what version of Firefox?

Anything you did just before this problem happened?

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Makoto

Post by Makoto »

taersh wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:30 pm Firefox needs pulse audio to play audio.
I believe most of the Firefox packages people on the forum have put together use apulse (packaged together with Firefox), rather than the full pulseaudio.
I like Firefox also, but I prefer to use it without sound. It's very annoying and confusing to me to visit a website and suddenly some audio starts playing event though I have auto play disabled for videos. This makes my heart beating fast, and I don't like it.
My PaleMoon setup has an option to mute a tab (right-click on a tab in the tab bar and select "Mute Tab") - but I don't know if it's available out of the box or if it was added by one of the extensions I'm using. I don't have a specific 'mute tab' extension.

Running a quick search for 'mute tab' on addons.mozilla.org pops up quite a few extensions, including...
MuteLinks
Mute all inactive tabs
Smart Tab Mute
Mute Tab (WebExtension)
Mute Tab
Mute Tab
Auto mute
Auto Mute Plus
Mute sites by default
unMute
AutoMute
Mute Descendant Tabs
Mute New Tabs
MuteTab
Silence Window
muteAllButThisOne

(sorry, was bored. :mrgreen: )

[ FossaPup64 9.5, Frugal install ]

Makoto

Post by Makoto »

@maoo

Yes, have you installed or updated anything right before the sound stopped working correctly in Firefox?

Did you have the most recent version of Firefox installed? There's always a possibility you could have had one of the versions of Firefox installed that preceded their PulseAudio requirement.

[ FossaPup64 9.5, Frugal install ]

maoo

Post by maoo »

Hi people. thanks for answeing.

im running firefox in another pc right now with the same bionicpup32 and audio is working..

about other players in the problematic PC: yes, the Light browser was working ok, reproducing youtube with audio, not netflix because of some html5/silaverlight incompatibilities (i dont know, something like that- but yes, audio was working ok, just firefox problem)

firefox version : 80.0.1
Please scuse my english, its not my native language, thanks for your time, i really apreciate it. Cheers
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

maoo

Post by maoo »

maoo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:10 am Hi people. thanks for answeing.

im running firefox in another pc right now with the same bionicpup32 and audio is working..

about other players in the problematic PC: yes, the Light browser was working ok, reproducing youtube with audio, not netflix because of some html5/silaverlight incompatibilities (i dont know, something like that- but yes, audio was working ok, just firefox problem)

firefox version : 80.0.1

Hi community... well the "other pc", the one that could play audio on firefox suffered the same disease that the "problematic one" ,,, i dont know what happened, just stop working. I cant remember what could i have instaled to make it go that way.. as im testing bionicpup32 for evaluating my migration from lubuntu to puppy i was installing some software in order to see how it work, but cant remember wich changes have i made... any ideas?
maoo

Post by maoo »

taersh wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:30 pm Firefox needs pulse audio to play audio.

When I decide to watch a video, I'm using either Palemoon browser or even downloading the video to watch later offline.
I have installed pulse audio from the package Manager... but i dont know how to make it run... suggestions? Any .pet with firefox working as taersh said? pleeeeeese? thanks to you all.
maoo

Post by maoo »

ah! im running firefox 80.0.1 the latest one.
about palemoon for audio and firefox for browsing... i think its really unpractical. And i really found palemoon ugly and slow (I dont want to offend anyone, please excuse me). Plus i really like firefox because of their add ons. they make it really powerfull. Plus, palemoon wont make netflix run, due to a html5 or silverlight uncompatibility (i dont know, it just dont work)
i could have firefox for browsing and another browser for netflix, i wouldnt bother me, because you wont browse while watching a film, but i cant think about firefox for browsing without audio and other browser for listening to videos or radio, or everything that has some audio included. Because you can be making an investigation and some info you find is on video or audio, or maybe using whatsapp web while investigating some thing... a browser MUST be audio compatible (for me).

Maybe someone can tell me how to properly install and run pulseaudio server.
Thanks for your time.
rranc1st

Post by rranc1st »

From early versions Puppy Linux, find "apulse-0.1.10-i686-wz.pet". Not sure but may solve your problem.

If your running a 64 bit puppy, try "apulse-0.1.10-x86_64.pet". Again, not sure but may solve your problem.

Return to “Beginners Help”