How to do batch color manipulation of .png files? [SOLVED]

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

How to do batch color manipulation of .png files? [SOLVED]

Post by geo_c »

I'm wondering what the best way to do batch color manipulations on icons might be. I did some searches on using gimp to run batch color transformations on .png files, but I didn't come up with anything remotely easy. Does anyone have any suggestions? maybe @mikewalsh?

Last edited by geo_c on Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

p310don

Re: Batch image conversions

Post by p310don »

What colour manipulations are you trying to do?

imagemagick is my goto for batch image manipulations, but usually resizing or converting. It can do colour stuff too.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

p310don wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:26 pm

What colour manipulations are you trying to do?

imagemagick is my goto for batch image manipulations, but usually resizing or converting. It can do colour stuff too.

I'm trying to do one of two things, level out the color of an icon set, or change the color completely. In order to take multi-colored icons and make them all one color, I usually use a three-step process in gimp:

• Set the contrast to zero

• posterize to insure level shading

• colorize to desired color

It'd be great to do that in a batch process. I'll take a look at imagemagick.

geo_c

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@geo_c :-

I got to admit, batch manipulations of anything graphics-related is not something I've ever bothered with, so in that respect I'm like you; a complete beginner. And I wouldn't even attempt to use ImageMagick, since from what I understand it's another one like ffmpeg; command-line based, with tons of complicated options that are all too easy to get wrong....

I hate using the terminal at the best of times, though I suspect Don's suggestion may be the most effective option. Count me out with advice on that one; I wouldn't even know where to begin!

Sorry about that.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

p310don

Post by p310don »

command-line based, with tons of complicated options that are all too easy to get wrong....

Oh @mikewalsh , getting it wrong is half the fun. Just make sure you're mucking about with backups rather than originals.

@geo_c This page here has all your answers:

https://imagemagick.org/script/command-line-options.php

muggins

Post by muggins »

Hello,

I don't do much graphics processing, but know there is a batch image plugin for gimp, called bimp:

https://github.com/alessandrofrancescon ... lugin-bimp

Or there's the gimp-plugin-registry, which has the dbp plugin:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/batch-pr ... s-in-gimp/

Possible alternative gui batch programs are Converseen, PHatch & XnConvert.

muggins

Post by muggins »

Spoke too soon! So far not having any luck with any of the above.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: How to do batch color manipulation of .png files?

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c
I know of one that can do it. It is called PhotoFiltre. You will need to run it with WINE.

More info on the 32 bit free version PhotoFiltre 7

I have had lots of success using this to batch process catalogue photos for an online shop. Crop, adjust, size hundreds at a time.I have had it run on every Puppy Linux that can run the WINE environment. It can work with the .ico format. Might be what you need.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

rockedge wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:59 am

@geo_c
I know of one that can do it. It is called PhotoFiltre. You will need to run it with WINE.

More info on the 32 bit free version PhotoFiltre 7

I have had lots of success using this to batch process catalogue photos for an online shop. Crop, adjust, size hundreds at a time.I have had it run on every Puppy Linux that can run the WINE environment. It can work with the .ico format. Might be what you need.

Damn. I forgot all about that one!

I've been using it on & off for years - it runs pretty much 100% under WINE - though I don't use the batch processing facility myself. But, as Erik says, it DOES have one.... I'll take the word of others that it works OK, since I'm in no position to argue the point..! :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Grey

Post by Grey »

geo_c wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:42 pm

I'm wondering what the best way to do batch color manipulations on icons might be.

Some time ago I used PhotoFiltre Studio X (pirated hacked, of course, but that's life). Not anymore.

XnView MP Linux has an excellent built-in batch processing tool. I don't remember where it is in the English version of the main menu, but this tool is called by hot keys Ctrl+U.

By the way, there is also a separate XnConvert. But I don't use it, see for yourself what it can do.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Grey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:54 am

XnView MP Linux has an excellent built-in batch processing tool. I don't remember where it is in the English version of the main menu, but this tool is called by hot keys Ctrl+U.

Yes, this does the trick. It's the first one I tried and it works great! I had installed this on fossapup about a year ago I remember. I didn't realize it had batch processing capabilities.

EDIT: Actually, now I remember I that once installed it on Windows, and thought it was okay, but it's a lot better on puppy!

geo_c

Return to “Eye Candy”