Stellarium 'portable' - AppImage-based - current release, v21.3

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Stellarium 'portable' - AppImage-based - current release, v21.3

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

I've been toying with the idea of turning this into a portable for a while now. Older versions were quite happy to run on an integrated graphics card; more recent releases have now been built to require OpenGL compatibility. Newer Intel/AMD integrated graphics should be fine with this, but those of you running older hardware will only be able to run this with a discrete graphics card.....and it will need to be running the proprietary driver. 'Nouveau' just doesn't cut it with current OpenGL.

This is the current release - v21.3.

AppImage-based, as several of my portables are, but this fixes the issue of AppImages leaving config files all over the place every time you run them in a different Puppy, by keeping them self-contained and sym-linking out to the expected locations at run-time. Sym-links are them removed again at close.

MenuEntry scripts permit the addition of a menu entry if desired, from wherever the portable is located.

-------------------------------------------------------

As always; d/l.....unzip.....locate the portable directory wherever you want, though preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click the 'LAUNCH' script to fire it up. Easy-peasy.

Anyone who's interested can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/SS4QhbAB#0VJ5lJLmF_9hV3Kj8Mhw6w

It IS quite large, at just under 300 MB; I don't know what the Stellarium team have done here, since older releases were barely half this size.....unless some of the additional 'data' directories are now included as standard?

Anyway; "you pays your money, and takes your pick".....as the old saying goes. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Educational”