Fishy

Re: Fossapup64 9.0.5 RC3

Post by Fishy »

Yahoo! I now have a functioning printer. Thank you 666philb. :thumbup:
mikeslr

Folder Icons

Post by mikeslr »

Hi 666philb,

Fossapup64 is developing very nicely. Thanks for your continuing efforts. :thumbup:

This is not the most crucial problem. If it remains unsolved I can live with it. But when you've battened down all the important hatches maybe look into it.

As I regularly run several Puppies, and try out others, I much prefer portable Apps I can run from several Puppies to those you can only install. To maintain some order, the folders for all my 64-bit portables are located in /mnt/home/Pup-Apps. If the app is really useful, I'll create a menu entry. Otherwise, I'll just click Rox's Pup-Apps bookmark, then browse into the application's folder and click its executable. Although rox orders the folder's alpha-numerically, if each folder has an icon I can find it faster. And its more aesthetically pleasing. :)
Attached is a screenshot taken under Bionicpup64. Whether or not, and what icon is displayed is Puppy Specific: AFAIK, some setting or config file within each Puppy. The display is created by Right-Clicking the folder, scrolling down to "Set Icon", choosing "Only for the file XXX", and dropping the desired icon onto the GUI.
Under Fossapup64 only a few folders could be 'iconified'. I don't think it depends on the format of the icon: on those which resisted my first effort I've tried icons in different graphic formats. I don't know what the determining factor may be.
Attachments
Only a few folders can be show unique icons under Fossapup64
Only a few folders can be show unique icons under Fossapup64
FolderIcons-Under-Bionicpup64.png (52.08 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
rerwin

Post by rerwin »

FossaPup64 does not offer to save the environment after the first boot of a new setup if the boot results from choosing "0" as the pupsave to boot into. It does make the offer if the fresh bootup resulted from the "pfix=save" boot parameter.

Although this may be a woofCE issue, I do not see this misbehavior in the ScPups, which I assume are as new as FossaPup64.

This may have been reported and dismissed earlier in this thread, but it happens only after selecting pupsave option "0".
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

mikeslr,

Are you selecting icons that are actually in Fossapup?
If yes.
Which ones are you trying?
/usr/share/icons?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

For FossaPUP consideration
@666PhilB, Your current setup has been inspirational is various unintended ways. Here's an example;
For many years, PUPs are developed with Background that usually has the PUP's name in the Background screen. This is nice and also helpful.

But, you have introduced something NEW in an OOTB PUP with the Conky transparent screen where it gives ongoing details of the PUPs behavior. In THAT feature, it shows the PUP distro that is running. This is great with the side-effect of NOT needing the PUPs name in the background.

Here's where it gets interesting. @ETP, who has been instrumental for several reasons, as he has a BACKGROUND utility, WOTD, where it will change the background each day. So this COUPLED with FossaPUP's Conky keeps the user informed, constantly, of the PUP distro that is running while at each day the background changes to something of interest.

Yes, all of these multimedia inclusions make for a very resourceful and fun PUP to use. (Of course, everyone will not be as happy with such, but, I'm betting many will appreciate this kind of innovation being present and active with the useful information coupled with the interesting visuals we provide.)

His PET utility to do this is here.
My daily for today looks like this
FossaPUP screen.png
FossaPUP screen.png (421.74 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Several ways to have this OOTB:
  • Have a different Background entry for each day of the week
  • Or have the same background present for each day of the week
  • Or have a Background that just shows the Day of the Week within
  • OR...
AGAIN, ... For FossaPUP consideration if it hasn't been already noticed
Enjoy
Grey

Post by Grey »

Hi 666philb.

Why are there SO many disk and device icons in Double Commander? This is observed in both Fossapup64 and Bionicpup64.
DC_in_Fossapup.png
DC_in_Fossapup.png (122.16 KiB) Viewed 1374 times

For example, device icons are displayed correctly in Linux Mint:
DC_in_LinuxMint.png
DC_in_LinuxMint.png (81.14 KiB) Viewed 1374 times

Link to the Double Commander (gtk2, 64 bit):
https://sourceforge.net/p/doublecmd/wiki/Download/

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @666PhilB
There are 2 issues begin exposed in this post

FossaPUP64 missing components from GParted
Gparted CANNOT read, neither, partitions that are formatted as ExFAT or BTRFS. Does it require an upgrade or kernel changes?
Gparted missing driver.jpg
Gparted missing driver.jpg (21.29 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
:?:
Multimedia commands missing
Image processing "convert" command. Installing ImageMagicK does NOT bring the command to FossaPUP64. Has this command been replaced?
Convert command.png
Convert command.png (207.75 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Last edited by Clarity on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Everything needed for all possible formats is not in Fossapup.

I have never seen a version of Gparted that can do everything with all possible formats.

Look in Gparted->View->Filesystem support
It lists all of the formats.
Gives info on what Gparted can do with them.
Shows what added programs and files are needed to provide support for a specific format.

The listed formats that have a lot of green checks. Support software is already in Fossapup. (ext, fat, ntfs, f2fs)
Those are really the only formats that Puppy programs are trying to support.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Clarity wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:05 am Image processing "convert" command. Installing ImageMagicK does NOT bring the command to FossaPUP64. Has this command been replaced?
The convert executable is in the package named graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat
takenp

Post by takenp »

Hi Phil!

I'm not satisfied with the folder icons you supply in Fossa (so as I wasn't with Bionic and Tahr). I found out not only that easy way how to fix it (one icon, one symlink, you know) but how to make various icon themes for ROX-filer to change them via ROX-Filer's options menu. (See gif.)

I like the idea of theming ROX-filer's icons especially the idea to implement this feature of changing icon themes on the fly into the PupControl Menu. It would be more better to have various icons for Music, Images, Downloads etc folders. Yes, we can do this by using .DirIcon but may be there is another way used in mordern disto as Ubuntu etc. to achive that who knows?

Anyway. Now we can have multiply icon themes and switch them on the fly using ROX's options:
On the below screens are my current folder theme (based on Numix, yes! I'm still using Tahr on daily basis.. lol) and another one, brown for Fossa.

cheerz!

p.s.
the gif above is made with <<Take a Gif! (TKAGIF)>> app by @fredx181
grab it here
Attachments
folders.png
folders.png (376.88 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
fossa_brown.jpg
fossa_brown.jpg (158.51 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Last edited by takenp on Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

=~=~=~=~
I'm running online-radio called Melodymaker
Listen it here https://radio.melodymaker.org

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@takenp

could you display the symlink(s) you made to achieve this? So an example of what to symlink and where.
takenp

Post by takenp »

rockedge wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:02 pm @takenp

could you display the symlink(s) you made to achieve this? So an example of what to symlink and where.
sure! unpack this archve into /root/.icons (as an example) and right-click on any Desktop icon to have ROX-Filer --> Options --> Types to change a theme

You may have different folders or just change a symlink of inode-directory.svg in the one folder manually.
Attachments
Numix.tar.gz
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

=~=~=~=~
I'm running online-radio called Melodymaker
Listen it here https://radio.melodymaker.org

rek769

Post by rek769 »

Greetings all,
I've gotten the latest Fossapup booted up successfully. I am using a fresh install (no previous save file)
The first things I do with a new puppy is to download, install, and configure Fluxbox and the Tint2 panel.
I have a dual monitor setup.
When I use the exact same config files for Tint2 that I have used since Tahrpup the panel that typically is positioned on the external monitor will position itself on the laptop monitor instead. Even with a fresh tint2 (un-modified config) the result is the same...I'm unable to get a second panel to position itself on the external monitor.
I've attached my config for that panel. Anyone have any ideas why this might be occurring?
Thanks for any input, ideas, or suggestions.
Attachments
tint2_base_horiz.txt
(3.47 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

Hi @rek769
Another tnint2 fan here...
Did you look to see which monitor the system sees as primary? in setup > zarfy
maybe too obvious but thought I'd ask
rek769

Post by rek769 »

puddlemoon wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:01 am Hi @rek769
I think maybe it has to do with how I use XRANDR to setup the monitor configurations. However, even if I turn off the laptop monitor via xrandr, the tint2 panel will not place itself at the bottom of the external monitor although it does show up there...on the top. Tint2 is also not paying attention the strut policy which I have set as follow_size. Full screen windows are being placed behind the panel...
mikeslr

Fossapup64 9.0.5 RC3 -- a couple of problems

Post by mikeslr »

Hi 666philb,

One of the 'thanks' you got was from me. I really like Fossapup64. Very fast and responsive. :thumbup: But I've stumble on a couple of 'bugs'. :( One's just an annoyance, probably of no significance, I can live with if I have to. I installed lxterminal. When I open it, I'm greeted with:
"bash: /etc/profile.d/vte.csh: line 19: syntax error near unexpected token `!'
bash: /etc/profile.d/vte.csh: line 19: `if ( ! $?prompt | ! $?tcsh | ! $?TERM | ! $?VTE_VERSION ) exit'

Thinking it might just be an lxterminal problem, I started urxvt terminal emulator and got the same complaint.

More troubling is a problem with geany. After opening it and typing something I can't save the file either by way of the tool-bar icons or the drop-down menu. If I create a file --Right-Click empty-space, select New>file, give it a name-- I can open it in geany, add text and save it by icon or menu. But Save As or Save All crash geany without saving anything.

Starting geany via a terminal and echoing the output to /root/documents/geany.txt, the following problem was revealed:

(geany:15779): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 21:05:30.495: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' does not contain a key named 'show-type-column'
Trace/breakpoint trap
rek769

Post by rek769 »

rek769 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:21 am
puddlemoon wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:01 am Hi @rek769
I think maybe it has to do with how I use XRANDR to setup the monitor configurations. However, even if I turn off the laptop monitor via xrandr, the tint2 panel will not place itself at the bottom of the external monitor although it does show up there...on the top. Tint2 is also not paying attention the strut policy which I have set as follow_size. Full screen windows are being placed behind the panel...
Well, I got this fixed but I'm not sure why...I simply copied some config settings from the stock config into mine and it now works...here is my new config after adding the additional lines:
Attachments
tint2_base_horiz.txt
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
rek769

Post by rek769 »

Now my next weird problem...

Opening a ROX filer window gives me a window with no decorations (no window title bar, no borders). The window is stuck in the upper left corner of the desktop and I can't move it...not even with alt + left mouse button. I can not resize the window manually but it will resize automatically when changing directories if set in the options to do so.

Behind the ROX window is my vertical tint2 panel. All other widows play nice with tint2 (not drawing over the top of it).

It seems as though the window is being treated as if it were on a Layer above all others. However, I can control that with Fluxbox but the setting has no effect.

The window operates perfectly well otherwise allowing me to move into other directories and manipulate files as expected.

This problem exists with both JWM and Fluxbox window managers. I have been through the ROX OPTIONS and can't find a setting to change this behavior. I even tried copying over my prior config from Bionicpup to no avail. Here is a screenshot showing the ROX window next to a smaller terminal to show the lack of decoration.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (210.19 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
666philb

Re: Folder Icons

Post by 666philb »

mikeslr wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:17 am Hi 666philb,

Fossapup64 is developing very nicely. Thanks for your continuing efforts. :thumbup:

This is not the most crucial problem. If it remains unsolved I can live with it. But when you've battened down all the important hatches maybe look into it.

As I regularly run several Puppies, and try out others, I much prefer portable Apps I can run from several Puppies to those you can only install. To maintain some order, the folders for all my 64-bit portables are located in /mnt/home/Pup-Apps. If the app is really useful, I'll create a menu entry. Otherwise, I'll just click Rox's Pup-Apps bookmark, then browse into the application's folder and click its executable. Although rox orders the folder's alpha-numerically, if each folder has an icon I can find it faster. And its more aesthetically pleasing. :)
Attached is a screenshot taken under Bionicpup64. Whether or not, and what icon is displayed is Puppy Specific: AFAIK, some setting or config file within each Puppy. The display is created by Right-Clicking the folder, scrolling down to "Set Icon", choosing "Only for the file XXX", and dropping the desired icon onto the GUI.
Under Fossapup64 only a few folders could be 'iconified'. I don't think it depends on the format of the icon: on those which resisted my first effort I've tried icons in different graphic formats. I don't know what the determining factor may be.

hi @mikeslr ,
i wonder if there's a broken .DirIcon symlink inside those folders. look inside and click the 'eye' icon to see hidden files. If there's no .DirIcon, try placing (or symlinking) your desired icon in there and rename it .DirIcon .

from your other post, those errors in lxterminal can be removed by deleting any vte stuff in /etc/profile.d. this is fixed in the new iso.
also my geany is fine at saving, tried it on a few comps. have you installed a different gtk theme? if not then possibly some .pet has broken stuff.
666philb

Post by 666philb »

Grey wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:52 pm Hi 666philb.

Why are there SO many disk and device icons in Double Commander? This is observed in both Fossapup64 and Bionicpup64.
DC_in_Fossapup.png

For example, device icons are displayed correctly in Linux Mint:
DC_in_LinuxMint.png

Link to the Double Commander (gtk2, 64 bit):
https://sourceforge.net/p/doublecmd/wiki/Download/
no idea @Grey , a quick search shows that it's not just a puppy issue. maybe ask on the developers github page
666philb

Post by 666philb »

Clarity wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:05 am Hi @666PhilB
There are 2 issues begin exposed in this post

FossaPUP64 missing components from GParted
Gparted CANNOT read, neither, partitions that are formatted as ExFAT or BTRFS. Does it require an upgrade or kernel changes?Gparted missing driver.jpg
:?:
Multimedia commands missing
Image processing "convert" command. Installing ImageMagicK does NOT bring the command to FossaPUP64. Has this command been replaced?Convert command.png
hi @Clarity gparted doesn't do ExFAT possibly to do with licencing. fossapup does have tools to do it manually i believe.
as for btrfs you will need btrfs-progs from the ppm and then gparted will be able to use that option
666philb

Post by 666philb »

takenp wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:52 pm Hi Phil!

I'm not satisfied with the folder icons you supply in Fossa (so as I wasn't with Bionic and Tahr). I found out not only that easy way how to fix it (one icon, one symlink, you know) but how to make various icon themes for ROX-filer to change them via ROX-Filer's options menu.
thanks @takenp . i may make a small colour changer for the folders a later stage. it could be done using sed and the colour selector like in conky-gtk
666philb

Post by 666philb »

rerwin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:04 pm FossaPup64 does not offer to save the environment after the first boot of a new setup if the boot results from choosing "0" as the pupsave to boot into. It does make the offer if the fresh bootup resulted from the "pfix=save" boot parameter.

Although this may be a woofCE issue, I do not see this misbehavior in the ScPups, which I assume are as new as FossaPup64.

This may have been reported and dismissed earlier in this thread, but it happens only after selecting pupsave option "0".
hi @rerwin ,
this is working for me. it could possibly be due to a similar issue that peebee had with shutdownconfig crashing due to the combination of his graphics chip & the compositor. this is hopefully fully fixed in the release.
666philb

Post by 666philb »

rek769 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:05 am Now my next weird problem...

Opening a ROX filer window gives me a window with no decorations (no window title bar, no borders). The window is stuck in the upper left corner of the desktop and I can't move it...not even with alt + left mouse button. I can not resize the window manually but it will resize automatically when changing directories if set in the options to do so.

hi @rek769 , have you tried unticking "override window manager control of the pinboard and panels' in rox options >>> compatibility
666philb

Re: Fossapup64 9.5

Post by 666philb »

this is it!!!

fossapup64 9.5 uploaded to ibiblio.

sorry for the delay, i've been back working full time after the furlough here in the uk.

not much has changed just a few fixes for the release ...

cumulative fixes from quickpet rubix etc
xrender selected as default if nouveau driver is detected. this stops high cpu usage but disables vsync. glx & vsync is activated if nvidia driver is installed .... @iarda1
simple gtk radio now has all stations fixed in additional playlists thanks @takenp
fixes for picom (compositor) not working after suspend.
pkg repos fix ... @KuLuSz
pure-ftp added thanks @rockedge
libvte fix @mikeslr

download links on first post
Last edited by 666philb on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rek769

Post by rek769 »

666philb wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:02 pm
hi @rek769 , have you tried unticking "override window manager control of the pinboard and panels' in rox options >>> compatibility
Thanks @666philb: Yes, that was the first thing I tried. I've also turned on (and off again) "Panel as dock", "Panel stays on top", and "Panel confined to work area"

Interestingly, if I kill this process and then open ROX it does not have this problem:
/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

Once I saw that, I copied over my PuppyPin file from Bionic but no difference.
666philb

Post by 666philb »

rek769 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:24 pm
Thanks @666philb: Yes, that was the first thing I tried. I've also turned on (and off again) "Panel as dock", "Panel stays on top", and "Panel confined to work area"

Interestingly, if I kill this process and then open ROX it does not have this problem:

see if turning off picom fixes it ... menu>>desktop>>jwmdesk>>window effects
rek769

Post by rek769 »

666philb wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:26 pm
rek769 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:24 pm

see if turning off picom fixes it ... menu>>desktop>>jwmdesk>>window effects
Sadly, that made no difference....
iarda1

Post by iarda1 »

Wow!
Updating my batch computers to Fossapup64 all new coocked!
Many thanks @666philb.
I promise to study nvidia graphic card driver this time.

Try to use F96-CE non co-existing with any, without compressed and depressed redundancies, not 'frugally' forced.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Using SuperGRUB2 I was able to boot the latest FossaPUP64 without any issues.

Also, I used FATDOG v811's to create a BTRFS partition where I placed FossaPUP64 v905 in a /BOOTISOS folder. It was found and booted, too. FD811 has added BTRFS and other filesystems for user use, seemlessly.

I will take your advice and add btrfs-progs to FossaPUP64 going forward.

AND, THANKS @666PhilB for all of your hard work in WoofCE to get us here!!! :thumbup:

Return to “Puppy Projects”