The Debian-Live Daedalus Starter Kit

Moderator: fredx181

fredx181

Re: The Debian-Live Bullseye Starter Kit

Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:53 pm

I have posted here a slightly modified version of the gmplayer package. Previous versions prefer libjack0 in the Depends section. But this can cause conflicts with other packages that now use libjack-jack2d-0. In one situation, the libjack0 package got auto-deleted, which broke gmplayer.

So I have changed the gmplayer package to also depend on libjack-jack2d-0.

Thanks, added to repositories and also upgraded the i386 package with same fix.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is an ASUS C202SA Chromebook with the Celeron N3060 (Braswell) chipset, 4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC.

The preferred Chrome-to-Linux conversion method is a Full-ROM replacement by removing the Write-Protect screw. This gets you a UEFI-GRUB2 boot to a GPT drive that is fully compatible with the Bullseye Starter Kit.

The internal speaker/headphone audio is UCM-based with a chtrt5650 card. Audio works with all my media player apps and web browsers.

Attachments
asus-chromebook.jpg
asus-chromebook.jpg (14.23 KiB) Viewed 7291 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

The Realtek 8821ce and 8723de WiFi adapters are confirmed to work with the combo-wifi-driver-pack. These are internal PCIe devices in the new M.2 form factor. The 5.10.x kernel has drivers for these adapters but the in-kernel versions have been reported to work poorly.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is Sound Card Selector v1.7 with a "2-0-2" Quick Select button. It can be useful if you require a third audio device like a USB sound card adapter.

Attachments
sound-card-selector_1.7_all.deb.gz
Updated 2021-09-27
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is gnetcat v1.7 with a small change to how syncing works after the transfer.

Attachments
gnetcat_1.7_all.deb.gz
(5.35 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is PeasyPort v3.2 with some new controls.

Attachments
peasyport_3.2_amd64.deb.gz
(11.15 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is Peasy YouTube Downloader v2.0. The download engine has changed from youtube-dlc to yt-dlp and the new dependency is python3.

Click the Update button to install yt-dlp from its github source.

Attachments
peasy-ytdl_2.0_all.deb.gz
(4.5 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
rcrsn51

BT4Stretch

Post by rcrsn51 »

BT4Stretch is a Bluetooth package for Debian-Live projects. It handles several functions:

- streaming audio to portable Bluetooth speakers
- connecting Bluetooth mice and keyboards
- Internet tethering over Bluetooth
- file transfers

Update: This project is now ONLY maintained for the 64bit Buster/Bullseye Starter Kits and some related Dogs.

Update: V2.5 uses Blueman instead of Bluetoothctl as the connection manager. It works better with tasks like file transfers. Audio still runs through bluealsa and PulseAudio is not required. Note: Occasionally, the Blueman components may not initialize properly. Restart X and try again.

Bluetoothctl is still available on the bottom row of buttons.

Update: V2.2 adds a Paired button. It displays a list of the currently paired devices, making it easier to paste a MAC address into your .asoundrc file.

Update: Project removed after four months due to lack of interest. Anyone who still wants it can post a request.

--------------------------

This system uses Bluez5 but avoids the need for PulseAudio by using bluez-alsa. Installation requires two packages, attached below.

1. bluealsa from the raspberrypi.org repo here.
2. bt4stretch.

The main screen has several Help buttons. There is a learning curve to using bt4stretch. See the hints below.

The BT and Internal buttons let you quickly switch the ALSA audio output between Bluetooth and the internal sound card by modifying your .asoundrc file.

If the Bluetooth ALSA device is properly configured and set as default, you can control its volume from the AlsaMixer tray applet. If the applet fails to open or displays the wrong controls, there is a problem with your BT4Stretch setup. Either the BT speaker has not paired/connected properly or your .asoundrc is wrong.

Hints:

BT4Stretch works with most media players and web browsers. If you run Chrome/Chromium browsers as a non-root user, there may be a permissions problem. Start the browser from a terminal with: chromium --no-sandbox

When doing the Blueman setup, a device may repeatedly fail to connect. This situation will occur when you move a BT device between host computers. Do a "remove" operation and start over.

Learn the blink and beep codes of your BT device. If you are unsure about its status, click Disconnect, wait until the blink changes, and click Quick Connect.

If the system refuses to pair/connect reliably, do a BT Reset, cold shutdown/reboot and start again.

---------------------

Attachments
xscreenshot-20220117T111322.png
xscreenshot-20220117T111322.png (22.11 KiB) Viewed 6596 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:23 am, edited 32 times in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

V1.8 of Sound Card Selector adds the ability to assign the default card by name instead of number. (Thank you to forum member Grey for the idea.)

This can be useful with a PnP USB sound card adapter that gets a different number depending on when it is plugged in.

But be aware that a few media apps will not work this way, requiring the card number instead.

Attachments
sound-card-selector_1.8_all.deb.gz
Remove the fake .gz extension
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is PeasyWiFi v4.8 with two changes.

1. It cleans up the code for making static IP connections.

2. It introduces the METRIC variable to the Config file. If you have both eth0 and wlan0 connected simultaneously, you may need to give higher priority to eth0 if it acts as your Internet gateway. By setting METRIC=1, wlan0 gets a LOWER priority in the routing table than eth0, which has a metric value of 0 by default.

Attachments
peasywifi_4.8.1_amd64.deb.gz
Fixed the broken More Help link
(16.14 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
peasywifi_4.8.1_i386.deb.gz
(17.42 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

BT4Stretch is updated to v2.2 on the previous page.

rcrsn51

PeasyWiFi and DNS

Post by rcrsn51 »

When you connect your computer to a network (wired or WiFi) by DHCP, the connection software usually acquires three things from the router - an IP address, a gateway address and a DNS address.

The DNS address identifies a "nameserver" somewhere in the outside world whose job is to translate Internet names like "https://www.google.com" into their corresponding numerical IP addresses. That nameserver address is stored in the file /etc/resolv.conf and is used by network-related apps like web browsers.

Your connection software finds that address by going out the gateway address and searching for a host that advertises itself as a nameserver. Typically, it will find a nameserver address provided by your ISP.

Hint: Open PeasyWifi and click Info>DNS. It may show both addresses - your local gateway address and the external address of the nameserver.

But you may prefer to use a different nameserver than the one provided by your ISP, like "1.1.1.1".

1. Create the file: /etc/resolv.conf.head
2. Add the line: nameserver 1.1.1.1
3. Reboot your computer.
4. Check Info>DNS again.

If you are using Static IP, the procedure is different because you are bypassing the DHCP connection software that does the setup automatically. For a wired connection, specify a DNS address in PWF's Ethernet Static configuration section. For WiFi, use the new DNS variable in the Config file.

You have several choices for a nameserver address:

1. Select a specific address like "1.1.1.1"
2. Use your gateway address. This should get you the DNS server provided by your ISP.
3. Leave it blank. This will use the address already in /etc/resolv.conf.

rcrsn51

How to make a general-purpose bootable flash drive

Post by rcrsn51 »

The instructions here have been updated.

rcrsn51

LibreOffice

Post by rcrsn51 »

The Impress presentation app in Libreoffice can put multimedia content on slides, but you need some extra packages. Assuming that you are using a recent GTK3 version of LO, here are the instructions.

1. Run apt2sfs
2. Add these packages:

Code: Select all

gstreamer1.0-gtk3 gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-libav

3. Load the squashfs module along with LO.

If you are still using a GTK2 version, you can probably adjust the choices in apt2sfs.

rcrsn51

Netsurf

Post by rcrsn51 »

Netsurf is now available for Bullseye after being absent from Buster.

This is a vanilla repo2sfs build using the package name: netsurf-gtk

The squashfs module is only 6MB. To access sites like this forum, turn on Javascript in Edit > Preferences > Content.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

The Deblive Multi Installer has been updated on page 1. It adds a "Win" section that generates a set of GRUB menu entries for booting Windows by chainloading.

This is a convenience for setting up a dual-boot system with Windows where GRUB is the primary bootloader.

Select the entry that applies to your system and paste it into your GRUB menu.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:54 pm

This is Sound Card Selector v1.7 with a "2-0-2" Quick Select button. It can be useful if you require a third audio device like a USB sound card adapter.

I just installed this for my new usb headseat in Busterdog.

Do you think I should pin it so it doesn't get overwritten?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

dancytron wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:38 am

I don't know what you mean.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:39 am
dancytron wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:38 am

I don't know what you mean.

Should I set it so that it doesn't automatically update with "apt-get update" so that I don't overwrite the 2-0-2 "quick select" button version of the script?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

There is already a newer version 1.8 posted above and in Fred's repo. Why would you not want it to update?

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:03 am

There is already a newer version 1.8 posted above and in Fred's repo. Why would you not want it to update?

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the "2-0-2 quick select" button (which I need) isn't in the default version.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

A new version of the Multi Installer is posted on Page 1.

Instructions for making the Starter Kit bootable flash drive are on Page 2.

The discussions about GRUB2/GPT and UEFI/SecureBoot on Page 5 have been updated.

rcrsn51

The Bullseye Starter Kit and Ventoy

Post by rcrsn51 »

On BIOS machines, the Starter Kit ISO works OOTB with the Ventoy USB launcher. But on UEFI systems, it needs a small modification.

1. In the Ventoy "boot" partition, locate the file /grub/localboot.cfg.

2. Replace it with the version attached below. (Remove the fake .gz extension).

3. Boot off the Ventoy USB drive.

4. At the first menu, press F4.

5. At the second menu, select the Starter Kit.

This technique can also be used with the ISO tool of the Multi Installer. Here is an example that boots Fatdog directly from its ISO file:

Code: Select all

menuentry "Fatdog64-812 ISO boot from Ventoy" {
  echo "Booting Fatdog64-812 ..."
  set isopath="/Fatdog64-812.iso"
  search --no-floppy --file --set=root $isopath
  loopback loop $isopath
  set root=(loop)
  linux (loop)/vmlinuz
  initrd (loop)/initrd
}

You could also use the Multi Installer to do a frugal install onto Ventoy's data partition and boot it with F4.

------------------

Attachments
localboot.cfg.gz
(294 Bytes) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is a 2014 Acer Aspire E11 Win8 "cloudbook" with an N2840 chipset, 2GB RAM and 32GB eMMC drive. These units were briefly promoted by Microsoft as Chromebook alternatives, but disappeared once consumers realized how useless they were.

Like other early UEFI implementations, this one ties UEFI to the Win8 install. So when you delete Windows, UEFI refuses to acknowledge that the eMMC drive still exists. (But it will boot from a UEFI flash drive.)

Luckily, it works fine in Legacy Mode. I reformatted the drive for Linux and put GRUB2 on the MBR.

Even with such puny hardware, it can run Google Earth out of the Chromium browser.

--------------

Attachments
xscreenshot.jpg
xscreenshot.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 6921 times
gumanzoy

Post by gumanzoy »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:27 pm

This is a 2014 Acer Aspire E11 Win8 "cloudbook" with an N2840 chipset, 2GB RAM and 32GB eMMC drive. These units were briefly promoted by Microsoft as Chromebook alternatives, but disappeared once consumers realized how useless they were.

Not disappeared. From 2021
Asus E210MA-GJ001T 11.6", Intel Celeron N4020, 2x1.1GHz, RAM 4GB, eMMC 64GB, Win10 Home

Not have Legacy/CSM, but UEFI works fine.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is xscreenshot by jamesbond again from here (#245). This version is bound to the PrtScr key.

I like how you can drag a box around part of the screen and capture just that area.

Be aware that there is no popup confirmation message. When the mouse pointer returns to its original shape, it's done.

Attachments
xscreenshot_1.1_amd64.deb.gz
(15.97 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:22 pm

This is xscreenshot by jamesbond again from here (#245). This version is bound to the PrtScr key.

I like how you can drag a box around part of the screen and capture just that area.

Be aware that there is no popup confirmation message. When the mouse pointer returns to its original shape, it's done.

Nice program. I didn't know it existed before. Previously I have always used scrot or my forked version "scrox" that adds outputting of the X,Y coords for use in other programs (such as weX) after dragging box around part of the screen (but otherwise works identically as pure scrot): http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=260

xscreenshot seems a bit simpler to use than scrot (and therefore scrox) though.

Also scrot/scrox needs dependencies giblib1 and libimlib2, so maybe more complex to install.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for your test report of v1.1, even though you never downloaded the package.

But at least you got to engage in some self-aggrandizement.

Enough is enough.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:39 am

Thanks for your test report of v1.1, even though you never downloaded the package.

But at least you got to engage in some self-aggrandizement.

Enough is enough.

I beg your pardon. Who are you posting that message to?
If it was to me, I downloaded xscreenshot and tested it (it wasn't a separate package but included with Xannotate).

I found it very interesting and noted the comparison with scrot and scrox, which is relevant.

If that rude post was to me then I am giving you less than one warning for no matter your status on this forum you will be the first person I have personally banned from here. As a founding admin of this forum I have avoided every using that privilege that was given to me, but I was physically shaking after I read your response and still can hardly type because of it - I am an almost seventy years old man who has had two strokes a year ago. I will think on this for a short time, but I it is me who says "Enough is enough"

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

If everyone would get banned after being rude sometimes, I guess no one will be left (except me, perhaps :D ).
Btw, isn't this born out of a misunderstanding? (apart from some irritations in the past). I must admit that I didn't understand how wiak could have tried xscreenshot while it (the above .deb package) wasn't downloaded yet at that time but it turned out that he downloaded from jamesbond's website.
Take it easy !

Return to “Debian-Live Starter Kit”