EasyOS 3.1.15 released

Moderator: BarryK

BarryK

EasyOS 3.1.15 released

Post by BarryK »

Two big items; a complete recompile in OpenEmbedded and a return to SeaMonkey.

Blog announcement:

https://bkhome.org/news/202112/easyos-v ... eased.html

As can be seen in the 3.1.13 thread, there are some hardware issues. I will try to look into those sometime in the future. For now though, moving into holiday mode -- expect holiday photos on the blog instead of EasyOS news for awhile.

Testers are most welcome!

scsijon

Re: EasyOS 3.1.15 released

Post by scsijon »

just a note, that if seamonkey has problems again, it was pointed out to me that waterfox (waterfox.net) may be a usefull alternative to firefox, apparently can say it's firefox, chrome or opera.
downloading 3.1.15...

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Updated to 3.1.15. Back with Seamonkey appears to be working very well, except for youtube. On first run, it is taking about 7 seconds to my home page displayed. Subsequent executions are about 3 seconds.

I am not able to view youtube. After several page refreshes I only see what is displayed in the screenshot (screenshot has been cut down for posting). The youtube page has remained the same while I created this post.

Attachments
Cut down image.
Cut down image.
Screenshot.png (41.3 KiB) Viewed 800 times

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

rudyt

PETget shows ALREADY INSTALLED for packages that are not

Post by rudyt »

Clean install of EasyOS 3.1.15 - not an upgrade

I launched PETget to install git-2.24.3-r6 and it shows as (ALREADY INSTALLED) but the package is not actually installed.

I installed the package and git works fine.

I uninstalled git and it uninstalls OK, but PETget still shows it as (ALREADY INSTALLED)

EasyOS - Frugal install on Dell laptop in shared partition

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

TerryH wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:23 am

Updated to 3.1.15. Back with Seamonkey appears to be working very well, except for youtube. On first run, it is taking about 7 seconds to my home page displayed. Subsequent executions are about 3 seconds.

I am not able to view youtube. After several page refreshes I only see what is displayed in the screenshot (screenshot has been cut down for posting). The youtube page has remained the same while I created this post.

Did you see the blog post on setting the useragent? As you have done an update, you will have to manually adjust the useragent.

https://bkhome.org/news/202112/seamonke ... -good.html

BarryK

Re: PETget shows ALREADY INSTALLED for packages that are not

Post by BarryK »

rudyt wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:31 am

I launched PETget to install git-2.24.3-r6 and it shows as (ALREADY INSTALLED) but the package is not actually installed.

I installed the package and git works fine.

I uninstalled git and it uninstalls OK, but PETget still shows it as (ALREADY INSTALLED)

Yes, that's an awkward one. That happens because git is in the devx sfs. Most users would load the devx if they want git.

The pups have the same problem, at least they used to, don't know about now.

Any package installed in the devx will be listed by the ppm as already installed.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

BarryK wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:46 am
TerryH wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:23 am

Did you see the blog post on setting the useragent? As you have done an update, you will have to manually adjust the useragent.

https://bkhome.org/news/202112/seamonke ... -good.html

Thank you, I will adjust the useragent.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

if you want to use samba, we have a couple of fixes:

https://bkhome.org/news/202112/fixes-for-samba.html

rudyt

Re: PETget shows ALREADY INSTALLED for packages that are not

Post by rudyt »

BarryK wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:50 am
rudyt wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:31 am

Yes, that's an awkward one. That happens because git is in the devx sfs. Most users would load the devx if they want git.

The pups have the same problem, at least they used to, don't know about now.

Any package installed in the devx will be listed by the ppm as already installed.

Ahhh, makes perfect sense now. I don't use DEVX as I mainly do shell and Python scripting these days. I need git and python3-pip and both of those show as ALREADY INSTALLED. Now that I know why. Thanks.

EasyOS - Frugal install on Dell laptop in shared partition

scsijon

Re: EasyOS 3.1.15 released - qt5

Post by scsijon »

Not sure if your using the default yocto-qt5 which usually failed for me, however this one https://github.com/meta-qt5/meta-qt5 ( a couple of releases back) built for me with 2.9 (dunfell), haven't tried it with the 3.x.x series yet though.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:38 am

Not sure if your using the default yocto-qt5 which usually failed for me, however this one https://github.com/meta-qt5/meta-qt5 ( a couple of releases back) built for me with 2.9 (dunfell), haven't tried it with the 3.x.x series yet though.

Yeah, that's where I got my meta-qt5 from, the 'dunfell' branch. I see that they also have a 'dunfell-next' branch.

I'm taking another look at it. It would be much better to be using qt5 rather than qt4.

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@BarryK

While members of this forum are tearing their hearts out trying to build a “community” version of Puppy, we are witnessing the evolution of this project initially created by you.

Born to lose; live to win

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:43 pm
scsijon wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:38 am

Yeah, that's where I got my meta-qt5 from, the 'dunfell' branch. I see that they also have a 'dunfell-next' branch.

I'm taking another look at it. It would be much better to be using qt5 rather than qt4.

Success with Qt5!

I have just built Easy 3.1.16 with Scribus and Vym, to play with, "in-house", not yet released.

https://bkhome.org/news/202112/scribus- ... in-oe.html

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BologneChe wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:15 am

@BarryK

While members of this forum are tearing their hearts out trying to build a “community” version of Puppy, we are witnessing the evolution of this project initially created by you.

Yeah, but EasyOS does not qualify as a contender for "next generation" Puppy. Lots of innovative ideas, but also not really forward-looking. For example, I love gtk2 and staying with that as long as possible.

dimkr's work is looking like the best hope for the next-gen Puppy.

But one observation: a Puppy can be built with any binary packages, so all that work I have done on the Dunfell-series of OpenEmbedded, compiling all packages from source, could be the binary packages used to build a pup. That's a separate thing from EasyOS.

I keep those binary packages online:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... e/dunfell/

...haven't uploaded the latest qt5 pkgs yet.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Channeling the spirits that drove the creation of the original Puppy Linux. Time does not stand still and the experimentation of possibilities and ideas in an actual nuts and bolts way is a sure sign that Puppy Linux stands strong, with no fear of the future.

It's mostly just fun to try out stuff and just maybe a time traveling Puppy will materialize.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:00 pm

Channeling the spirits that drove the creation of the original Puppy Linux. Time does not stand still and the experimentation of possibilities and ideas in an actual nuts and bolts way is a sure sign that Puppy Linux stands strong, with no fear of the future.

It's mostly just fun to try out stuff and just maybe a time traveling Puppy will materialize.

Well, I'm sure someone is or will be building a next generation Puppy, but why does everyone keep saying that Kernel Linux is an attempt to build a new Puppy; it is not a Puppy at all but a hybrid forum distro so may use some Puppy parts, but not necessarily many (in this particular KLV mainly kernel and probably various Puppy app/utilities and DebianDog app/utilities, and so on). Totally different from Puppy in the sense anyway that it uses official upstream package manager. No reason at all KL might not take some idea from EasyOS too (the way containers are implemented, for example), - if anyone cares to do so, though more likely to use lightweight containers from Void Linux - all these distros are opensource licensed.

peebee's voidpup32, influenced by KLV, is currently deviating from traditional Puppy in that it is using official upstream package manager, but it is clearly a Puppy when you run it otherwise. Funny thing is, however, if you keep installing Void Linux apps with it, it could grow closer and closer to the root filesystem of KLV-airedale (and vice versa) - maybe employing runit instead of busybox init and so on. Perhaps voidpup32 is an attempt to produce a Puppy next generation, but I doubt that thought is uppermost in anyone's mind, and dimkr has taken some ideas from elsewhere too, to try and get away from the limitations of alphabetic naming of sfs modules, albeit implemented only some aspects/modified and in C. KLV is just fun and hopefully educational trying alternative approaches so, no-one need worry, or try and talk any distro creation work down or up.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

Hey!

I am playing with Easy Os on my new laptop. When using OBS-portable from @mikewalsh on another laptop with GeForse video, everything worked fine. On a new laptop video Intell Graphic. And unfortunately OBS throws an error:

Failed ti initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may nedd to be updated

Please help fix the error.

P.S. I am writing in this thread, since the problem is probably not with the OBS program, but with the drivers in the video

Edit: Hmm, I noticed the same error in Fossa Pup

From Dmitry (Russia)

williams2

Post by williams2 »

@Maybe

I suspect that the hardware is not supported by the video driver, so it falls back to the vesa driver.
Vesa does not use much, if any, hardware acceleration.
No hardware acceleration means that the cpu does most of the work that the video card should be doing.
Vesa is more limited than the Nvidia, Intel, and Radeon drivers.

What are the results of pasting these commands in a terminal?

lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep -e 'in use' -e VGA

xrandr --listproviders

tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log

With Linux, older hardware is better supported by older kernels,
and newer hardware is better supported by newer kernels.

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

williams2 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:02 pm

@Maybe

I suspect that the hardware is not supported by the video driver, so it falls back to the vesa driver.
Vesa does not use much, if any, hardware acceleration.
No hardware acceleration means that the cpu does most of the work that the video card should be doing.
Vesa is more limited than the Nvidia, Intel, and Radeon drivers.

What are the results of pasting these commands in a terminal?

lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep -e 'in use' -e VGA

xrandr --listproviders

tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log

With Linux, older hardware is better supported by older kernels,
and newer hardware is better supported by newer kernels.

Hello @williams2

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [3000]: Intell Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)

Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x45 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 2 outputs associated providers: 0 name:modesetting

r[ 46.330] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us,ru"
[ 46.330] (**) Option "xkb_options" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
[ 696.245] (II) modeset(0): EDID vendor "LEN", prod id 16401
[ 696.245] (II) modeset(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[ 696.245] (II) modeset(0): Modeline "1280x800"x0.0 69.30 1280 1328 1360 1403 800 803 809 821 -hsync -vsync (49.4 kHz eP)
[ 696.245] (II) modeset(0): Modeline "1280x800"x0.0 57.59 1280 1328 1360 1403 800 803 809 821 -hsync -vsync (41.0 kHz e)
[ 696.248] (II) modeset(0): EDID vendor "LEN", prod id 16401
[ 696.248] (II) modeset(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[ 696.248] (II) modeset(0): Modeline "1280x800"x0.0 69.30 1280 1328 1360 1403 800 803 809 821 -hsync -vsync (49.4 kHz eP)
[ 696.248] (II) modeset(0): Modeline "1280x800"x0.0 57.59 1280 1328 1360 1403 800 803 809 821 -hsync -vsync (41.0 kHz e)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Maybe wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:39 am

Hey!

I am playing with Easy Os on my new laptop. When using OBS-portable from @mikewalsh on another laptop with GeForse video, everything worked fine. On a new laptop video Intell Graphic. And unfortunately OBS throws an error:

Failed ti initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may nedd to be updated

Please help fix the error.

P.S. I am writing in this thread, since the problem is probably not with the OBS program, but with the drivers in the video

Edit: Hmm, I noticed the same error in Fossa Pup

From Dmitry (Russia)

I see in the other thread, it wants qt 5.15:

viewtopic.php?t=4152&start=10

I have very recently added qt5 to easyos, but it is 5.14.2, but perhaps that s still ok. I'm interested, will have a go at compiling obs, but probably not immediately, as on the cusp of being on holiday.
Maybe in about a week.

Return to “EasyOS”