How to remaster Bionicpup32 from full instaled one?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

maoo

How to remaster Bionicpup32 from full instaled one?

Post by maoo »

Hi, scuse my English, im learning.
Ok, this is it: I fully installed puppy (bionicpup32) to my hard drive. Ive made it quite useful for myself, quite at my size, gimp, inkscape, Firefox, everything i love and need, quite a work. Now I would like to put all this work together into a pendrive to install it on my other old computer... So menu: /applications/setup/remaster puppy live-cd ....... and this message shows up:

this programs requires a puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs file mounted on /initrd/pup_ro2.
Which is not the case here, probably because this is a full hard drive installation ?
Whatever, boot puppy from a live cd and then you would be able to use this script.
Note: i have not tried it but if you setup the situation of puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs mounted on directory /initrd/pup_ro2, that would be aceptable for this program.
You would also need a current live-CD, as the program gets files off it.
Anyones want to try it?
click OK button to quit...

Ive tried to put that .sfs file in that location and give it another shot, but the same message shows. If you can help me i would appreciate it. And i would save a lot of time and love this puppy a little harder.
Thanx
Please scuse my english, its not my native language, thanks for your time, i really apreciate it. Cheers
taersh

Re: How to remaster Bionicpup32 from full instaled one?

Post by taersh »

No, don't do a full install of Puppy Linux.
Do a so-called frugal install. Frugal install won't miss anything compared to full install.
But Puppy is made to be frugal installed and frugal installation will give you some advances and benefits that full installs don't have.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

nic007

Post by nic007 »

maoo wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:29 am Hi, scuse my English, im learning.
Ok, this is it: I fully installed puppy (bionicpup32) to my hard drive. Ive made it quite useful for myself, quite at my size, gimp, inkscape, Firefox, everything i love and need, quite a work. Now I would like to put all this work together into a pendrive to install it on my other old computer... So menu: /applications/setup/remaster puppy live-cd ....... and this message shows up:

this programs requires a puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs file mounted on /initrd/pup_ro2.
Which is not the case here, probably because this is a full hard drive installation ?
Whatever, boot puppy from a live cd and then you would be able to use this script.
Note: i have not tried it but if you setup the situation of puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs mounted on directory /initrd/pup_ro2, that would be aceptable for this program.
You would also need a current live-CD, as the program gets files off it.
Anyones want to try it?
click OK button to quit...

Ive tried to put that .sfs file in that location and give it another shot, but the same message shows. If you can help me i would appreciate it. And i would save a lot of time and love this puppy a little harder.
Thanx
I gather you don't have the original live-CD or original ISO anymore. I am also not familiar with full installs but you can try this to remaster:
1. Download my utility suite here: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=196&i=1 , install and run the nicOS-Remaster-Classic utility.
2. This utility will create a new base sfs file (with the option to make an ISO). To make a new ISO you will need files from the original ISO. You can download the individual files from the original ISO here: https://ia803100.us.archive.org/view_ar ... 0-uefi.iso . Download all the files found there except for puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs. Add these files when you make the ISO (when the utility asks you to).
3. Hopefully this will work, please report back.
4. Do a frugal install next time you install Puppy.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Yes. As others have posted, you should have done a frugal install. Frugal only means it 'frugally' uses your partitions, allowing your Puppy --or several Puppies-- to share the partition being used by some other operating system. It includes all the applications you get with a 'full install' but does so in a way that provides greater flexibility, security and several options which 'full' lacks. "Full Install" was developed a dozen years ago when the typical computer only had 256 Mbs of RAM. On a modern computer it's speed advantage is measured in micro-seconds: only significant if you are running RAM intensive applications that take a long time to complete such as compiling applications or rendering video files.

Hopefully nic007's suggestion will work. If not, you may want to consider clonezilla, whose purpose and usage is explained here, https://clonezilla.org/. It will install via Puppy Package Manager under bionicpup64, I don't know about bionicpup32, but that's probable as a 32-bit version is available thru pkgs.org: https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-un ... l.deb.html. If your PPM doesn't offer it, make a note of the dependencies on that web-page as you probably will have to install them as well. [To install a '.deb', just download then left-click it.]
maoo

Post by maoo »

Ok, thanks a lot for answering.
Now ive installed puppy in a laptop by the frugal way. Anyway ill study the nicOS utilities, and clonezilla, just for learning. Just have to find the time. When i have some news ill tell you.
cheers
Please scuse my english, its not my native language, thanks for your time, i really apreciate it. Cheers
maoo

Post by maoo »

after our conversation ive frugally instaled puppy, ive open another topic, because its another problem now that its a frugal installation not a full one:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=737

thanks for all

Return to “Beginners Help”