KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Moderator: Forum moderators

keniv

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:24 pm

O-kay.

Well, following on from the previous post, the MenuAdd script will work well enough to get me a working launcher for Iron-portable on the desktop.

Through Thunar, navigate through the file-system to where your portable browser/application is located. If on an external partition or USB drive, easiest is to click on the desktop icon for that partition or drive.

Enter the portable app so you've got MenuAdd showing. Right-click->Open terminal here. Enter

Code: Select all

./MenuAdd

....then hit enter. It complains about not finding 'fixmenus' & 'restartwm', of course, but it does what we want.....and that is to place a sym-link from the 'LAUNCH' script into /usr/bin, the .desktop entry into /usr/share/applications, and an icon into /usr/share/pixmaps. (You can't run it by simply clicking on it, the way we do in Puppy. If you do this, Thunar thinks you want to look at it, and opens it up in Geany instead. I vaguely recall there's a way to make Thunar execute scripts rather than display them, but it's years since I've used XFCE & Thunar.)

When it's run through, navigate to /usr/share/applications, and locate the iron-portable.desktop file. Right-click->Send to->Desktop (create link).

This'll put a launcher onto the desktop.

Mike. ;)

Hello Mike,
I think this might be one of the few things I've tried here that actually worked. I'm posting from portable Iron in klv alpha3 now. Will certainly make posting the output from a terminal etc easier. Thanks for this.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:56 pm

@keniv :-

Ken, you may need to install 'fuse' separately. I had to earlier on, 'cos it's required for mounting AppImages in /tmp.

xbps-install fuse

.....worked for me.

Mike. ;)

Hello again Mike,
Here is part of the terminal output.

fuse-2.9.9_1: installed successfully.

However, still cannot mount the ntfs partition on sda1. I'll reboot and try again.

Ken.
Edit: Still could not mount sda1. Tried running

xbps-install ntfs-3g

in a terminal. Here's the output.

bash-5.1# xbps-install ntfs-3g

Name    Action    Version           New version            Download size
ntfs-3g install   -                 2021.8.22_1            527KB 

Size to download:              528KB
Size required on disk:        1599KB
Space available on disk:        36GB

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

[*] Downloading packages
ERROR: [trans] failed to download `ntfs-3g-2021.8.22_1' signature from `https://mirror.clarkson.edu/voidlinux/current': Transient resolver failure
Transaction failed! see above for errors.
bash-5.1# xbps-install ntfs-3g

Don't know where to go from here.

Last edited by keniv on Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

fredx181 wrote:

Note: One of the most important things with this mechanism of creating symlinks is that there should be NO leftover symlinks when you forget to unload an SFS before shutdown.
The 00rmbrokenlinks.sh script should remove the symlinks at boot, but I'd recommend also to run a similar code at shutdown (before unmounting devices) for more safety (for DebianDog I've added it to wmpoweroff and wmreboot).

@rockedge
Adding the following to /etc/rc.shutdown does cleanup the symlinks from all modules loaded with sfs-load (in /mnt/layers/SFS):
(perhaps would be best to create a separate runit service to run this code at shutdown instead, but I don't know how)

CHNGS=/mnt/layers/SFS

if [ "$(ls $CHNGS 2> /dev/null)" ]; then
    for BUNDLE in $(ls $CHNGS); do
 FILES=$(find $CHNGS/$BUNDLE ! -type d | sed "s|$CHNGS/$BUNDLE||")
umount $CHNGS/$BUNDLE && rmdir $CHNGS/$BUNDLE  # unmount squashfs, now check for broken symlinks to be removed...
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
while read line; do
 if [ ! -e "$line" ]; then
# send to filelist to be executed with xargs below
[ -L "$line" ] && echo "$line" >> /tmp/${BUNDLE}.txt
 fi
done <<< "$FILES"
xargs -d '\n' -a /tmp/${BUNDLE}.txt rm   # remove symlinks

# remove leftover (empty) directories
tac /etc/SFS/${BUNDLE}.txt | while read line; do
if [ -d "$line" ]; then
rmdir "$line" 2> /dev/null 
fi
done

rm -f /etc/SFS/${BUNDLE}.txt
rm -f /tmp/${BUNDLE}.txt
echo "Module $BUNDLE deactivated"
    fi
    done
fi
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hit the Enter key (that's why the "Y" is capitalized). It'll carry on and do something.....either install, or it won't.

That "Transient resolver failure" just sounds like a network glitch.....temporarily too much traffic, or routing not quite right, or something not behaving itself. I doubt it'll be permanent.

What have you got to lose?

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Now then.

For the Iron-portable (and similar) .desktop files, all ya need to do is open it with geany, and edit the line

Category=X-Internet-browser

.....to read

Category=Network;WebBrowser;

.....instead. Then 'Save' & close Geany. (This won't affect any other Puppy installs where you may have added the MenuEntry via the script. The script copies the .desktop entry across from the 'DATA' directory, so this is simply the 'local' copy in KLV-"Airedale"; you can edit this as much as you like. It's not a sym-link, so nothing will be affected back in the portable directory).

You should now find it'll show up in Menu->Internet.....in addition to the desktop 'launcher' we already have.

Now to see if I can get it to launch from the XFCE 'dock' up top.....

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hello Mike,
I just struck me that each time I restart klvalpha3 I have to run

wiakwifi

to reconnect to my wifi network. I could not remember if I'd done this before running

xbps-install ntfs-3g

This time I made sure I had started the wifi network and this time ntfs-3g installed. Double clicking on the drive icon now mounts the drive. I suppose I am just used to persistence in terms of the wifi starting when an OS is started and did not think to check so it was my fault that it did not install. I wonder if I can ask you another question about the Iron launcher sym link on the desktop. When I double click on it a box appears with "Untrusted application launcher". I choose "Launch Anyway" and it runs. However, if I go to /usr/share/applications and double click on Iron-portable.desktop I don't get the "Untrusted application launcher" box and Iron runs normally. As the Iron launcher on the desktop is just a sym link to /usr/share/applications/Iron-portable.desktop I'm not sure why I should get this box when I click on the icon on the desktop. Hope that makes sense. Have you got any idea as why this should happen?

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

No, I've no idea why it does that. I only know that it always seems to happen with XFCE.....at least, whenever I've tried it with an XFCE-equipped Puppy. I vaguely recall I never saw it during my early days with Linux, when I was distro-hopping from one mainstream distro to another, every one of which had you running as a restricted, "normal" user.

Summat to do with running as /root, I strongly suspect. But you did what I did, anyway.....ran the bugger regardless! :lol:

-------------------------------

BTW, it's easy enough to set the top dock's browser icon to launch Iron, too. Right-click the icon (4th one from the left)->Properties. A small window comes up, called 'Launcher'. Over to the right, below the up/down arrows, the next icon will let you edit the launcher command.

Next wee window, third box down is 'Command''. Click on the folder icon to the right, and point the thing to /usr/bin/iron.....this is the common, sym-linked 'launcher' for all three methods.....Menu. desktop AND 'dock'. Then click on 'Save' when done. Finally, 'Close' the 'Launcher' window.

All done. You can now launch Iron from the dock, too!

Mike. :thumbup:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@keniv When you see the notification it is because there is an executable file on the desktop "pinboard". Mark it "Executable" and start. It is a warning in case of accidentally starting a binary that is directly on the pinboard.

Most of mikewalsh's portables, the LAUNCH script will probably invoke that notification since the desktop Launcher is expecting a .desktop file but when a script or binary is directly called it triggers a warning. Somewhere in notifications I think it's possible to turn off.....maybe

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

rockedge wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:30 pm

I could use a wallpaper.

Also need a link to a Puppy Linux huge 5.15+ kernel please.....

All kinds of kernels here in this forum section:
viewforum.php?f=65

Here is a 5.15.6 64bit kernel
viewtopic.php?p=43328#p43328

ozsouth is the Puppy kernel maker.
I am sure he would be happy to put together, any kernel you want, if you only ask :thumbup:

Wallpaper
Here is one futwerk made:
viewtopic.php?p=43880#p43880

If you send him a specific request for a wallpaper and how you want it.
He lives for making Puppy wallpapers and has made some good ones in the past. :D

Here is the old forum section for wallpaper
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=36334

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Wallpaper:

This is an Airedale Terrier

614370e96b81d934715908.jpg
614370e96b81d934715908.jpg (36.13 KiB) Viewed 1191 times

Tried it as a wallpaper, not bad stretched out on my wide screen monitor.

wiak

Post by wiak »

bigpup wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:46 am

Wallpaper:

This is an Airedale Terrier
Tried it as a wallpaper, not bad stretched out or zoomed.

It's a nice image. I'd like to see it identify the distro as being a "Kennel Linux" (KL) community distro design, which is a community-driven/developed hybrid that utilizes the diverse and rich resources the various forum community projects individually provide.

No doubt Airedale will be only the first Kennel Linux of many differently composed types to come.

It is not a woof-CE Puppy of course, having taken and being built from important components from several forum-created distros already - though a Void-based woof-CE Puppy may (or may not) also appear/be-published over time, and a lot should already be learned about upstream Void packaging from developing/using KLV-airedale by then (so even more shared interest if that occurs). No reason other Kennel Linux designs will always use upstream Void repos of course (or xbps for that matter - great though that is). Design of consistent utility apps would be great though - remastering, for the different optional save from RAM modes and so on - but most not a priority at this stage - what is working already, seems to be working well).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@bigpup Great photo! Something to start with.

@mikewalsh I found a Textmaker SFS (Textmaker2019-amd64.sfs)that worked out of the box! Loaded with Load_SFS , the menu entry appeared. The program starts and works. Unloaded successfully.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Nicely integrated XFCE app that: Applications -> Settings -> SettingsManager

Plenty of bells and whistles accessible from there. Some "Commands to use by default" needing set up though.

For example in:

Applications -> Settings -> Removable Drives and Media

and in

Applications -> Settings -> DefaultApplications
(a lot of these can be manually configured also via Thunar right-click OpenWith panel but always nice to auto set up good defaults at build time if possible).

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:09 pm

@rockedge
Adding the following to /etc/rc.shutdown does cleanup the symlinks from all modules loaded with sfs-load (in /mnt/layers/SFS):
(perhaps would be best to create a separate runit service to run this code at shutdown instead, but I don't know how)

I actually studied all the scripts used in Void implementation of runit to see how something actually worked. That was just a couple of weeks ago, but I can't remember if I took notes, and my brain is going worryingly soft cos I simply can't remember much again... (looking at it again, I remember I was studying how Void uses runit services to set date/time - occurs in combination of /etc/runit/3 and /etc/runit/core-services/03-console-setup.sh as it happens...)

Basically there are pre-made services that could be usefully utilized or perhaps added to in:

/etc/runit/core-services/

such as maybe 99cleanup.sh ??? EDIT: No... these core-services are done at boot time, I think, per below.

All these core-services get executed by runit when it starts via its first stage script: /etc/runit/1
which contains:

for f in /etc/runit/core-services/*.sh; do
	[ -r $f ] && . $f
done

Quick further check... Bit different than I thought it seems:

http:// smarden.org/runit/

The program runit is intended to run as Unix process no 1, it is automatically started by the runit-init /sbin/init-replacement if this is started by the kernel.

runit performs the system's booting, running and shutting down in three stages:

Stage 1:
runit starts /etc/runit/1 and waits for it to terminate. The system's one time initialization tasks are done here. /etc/runit/1 has full control over /dev/console to be able to start an emergency shell in case the one time initialization tasks fail.
Stage 2:
runit starts /etc/runit/2 which should not return until the system is going to halt or reboot; if it crashes, it will be restarted. Normally, /etc/runit/2 runs runsvdir. In Stage 2 runit optionally handles the INT signal (ctrl-alt-del keyboard request on Linux/i386).
Stage 3:
If runit is told to halt or reboot the system, or Stage 2 returns without errors, it terminates Stage 2 if it is running, and runs /etc/runit/3. The systems tasks to shutdown and halt or reboot are done here.

and /etc/runit/3 contains line:

[ -x /etc/rc.shutdown ] && /etc/rc.shutdown

Information about creating a new service is given here:

http:// smarden.org/runit/faq.html#create

seems clear enough, but maybe there are better tutorials on doing that.
NOTE: not https link for some reason - put a space in cos worried plain http links caused issues on this forum (something about that was mentioned some time back and I didn't understand it...)!

Found some related tutorials (googled of course and putting her as a reminder to myself to study sometime...):
https://kchard.github.io/runit-quickstart/
https:// medium.com/100-days-of-linux/setting-up-a-functional-runit-service-be75b5bc692c
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Runit

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

keniv

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:08 am

BTW, it's easy enough to set the top dock's browser icon to launch Iron, too. Right-click the icon (4th one from the left)->Properties. A small window comes up, called 'Launcher'. Over to the right, below the up/down arrows, the next icon will let you edit the launcher command.

Next wee window, third box down is 'Command''. Click on the folder icon to the right, and point the thing to /usr/bin/iron.....this is the common, sym-linked 'launcher' for all three methods.....Menu. desktop AND 'dock'. Then click on 'Save' when done. Finally, 'Close' the 'Launcher' window.

All done. You can now launch Iron from the dock, too!

Hello Mike,
Followed the instructions above and Iron now launches from the top dock's browser icon. I also noticed that the menu showed an entry for an Iron launcher but this was listed under "Other". The only thing show under "Network" was gFTP. Opening /usr/share/applications/gftp.desktop showed

Categories=Application;Network;

I made this change to Categories in the /usr/share/applications/iron-portable.desktop and after a reboot the launcher for Iron was in "Network" and "Other" had disappeared. However, I've just noticed you suggested something similar here.

Now then.

For the Iron-portable (and similar) .desktop files, all ya need to do is open it with geany, and edit the line

CODE: SELECT ALL

Category=X-Internet-browser
.....to read

CODE: SELECT ALL

Category=Network;WebBrowser;
.....instead. Then 'Save' & close Geany.

Either way I now have two ways to launch Iron so don't need the desktop icon.

@rockedge

When you see the notification it is because there is an executable file on the desktop "pinboard". Mark it "Executable" and start. It is a warning in case of accidentally starting a binary that is directly on the pinboard.

Most of mikewalsh's portables, the LAUNCH script will probably invoke that notification since the desktop Launcher is expecting a .desktop file but when a script or binary is directly called it triggers a warning. Somewhere in notifications I think it's possible to turn off.....maybe

Thanks for the explanation. When the box popped up it still worked if I clicked "Launch Anyway" but as you can see from the above I got round it now.

Can I ask a question about xbps. Is it possible to download and install a firewall? If so can anybody suggest the code I would need to enter to do this?

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Re: Sfs-Load:
@rockedge
Studied a bit how to make a runit service to run (at boot and shutdown) and from what I tested, the below works OK (although I must admit, not with much understanding yet how things work with runit).

Attached 11sfsload.sfs , add to the main .sfs's to load at boot or you can merge it with 07KLV-airedale_rootfs.sfs.

runit scripts:
- /etc/sv/sfsunload/run : it will run at boot and makes sure that leftover (broken) symlinks are removed (replaces /etc/profile.d/rmbrokenlinks.sh).
(could be needed when a crash occurred before or when done a forced shutdown, so it's extra safety besides the unloading of modules at shutdown (see below).

- /etc/sv/sfsunload/finish : will run at shutdown and should unload all modules loaded with "loadmodule -a" and remove created symlinks (replaces what I suggested earlier in this thread to add code to /etc/rc.shutdown).

Attachments
11sfsload.sfs
(4 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 Fantastic Fred! Wonderful work!

At first I will include it in the SFS form to load at boot. Eventually directly integrating it into the rootfs.sfs later. This way I can generate fresh new builds of the alpha via the WDL build scripts and PLUG file recipe for this system.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just a thought while I was re-reading this thread while drinking my first cup of coffee for the day; simultaneously trying to 'clear the cobwebs' while getting a handle on how KLV differs from 'Puppy Norm'. Please correct any factual or conceptual errors in the below.
Void and, thus, KLV-Airedale's can employ SFSes. But they have to be named starting with a number --00 thru 99-- while Puppys SFSes are produced (usually) unnumbered but with a name describing the contained application(s). [Numbering actually has advantages, as Void/KLV uses those numbers to establish priority]. So to use EACH Puppy SFSes --and maybe 'debian-dog' squashfses?-- it would have to be renamed.
rockedge is working on using a sfs-load-on-the-fly developed under the debiandogs. Rather than having to manually rename each SFS,
couldn't some code be included in the SFS-load on the fly app which:
(1) Checks to determine the number used by the last loaded SFS;
(2) Simply loads the selected SFS if its name begins with a number; and if not
(3) Assigns the SFS the next available number before loading it into RAM?
alternatively, checks the number of loaded SFS and assigns the selected for use one a randomly selected, available, number?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I am just wondering what this OS is trying to be?

1. A Puppy version, using Void Linux, as the source of always needed core Linux files and programs?

2. A Void Linux version, that looks and works like Puppy Linux?

Sure seems like a lot of reinventing stuff is having to be done.
Making programs, that did work in Puppy Linux, now work in this OS.

Is only software, provided by xbps and the repositories it access, the only place we can get the stuff?
I wonder if xbps can get stuff from non-Void Linux repositories?
A way to add other repositories to search?
It does seem to work similar to apt-get.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,

mikeslr wrote:

rockedge is working on using a sfs-load-on-the-fly devperhapseloped under the debiandogs. Rather than having to manually rename each SFS,
couldn't some code be included in the SFS-load on the fly app which:
(1) Checks to determine the number used by the last loaded SFS;
(2) Simply loads the selected SFS if its name begins with a number; and if not
(3) Assigns the SFS the next available number before loading it into RAM?
alternatively, checks the number of loaded SFS and assigns the selected for use one a randomly selected, available, number?

Note that the sfs-load-on-the-fly app (as it is now) can be considered IMO as a workaround to load sfs's under an 'overlay' based layered system (as opposed to Puppy using 'aufs'), it's a separate "function", which means:
The .sfs modules loaded at boot (layered by using 'overlay') all have priority, the included files will NOT be overwritten with files from modules loaded by sfs-load(on-the-fly).
So numbering or naming otherwise makes no difference when using current sfs-load(on-the-fly), but who knows, that can be changed, not sure, will be complicated anyway.

It's a inabilty of 'overlay' AFAIK to add an extra layer by loading an .sfs on the fly (as is possible with 'aufs'), call the 'symlink method' of this sfs-load "better than nothing", if you wish.
Perhaps someone will find out how to use 'overlay' in a similar way as 'aufs', but I doubt that (edit: i.e. not technically possible AFAIK).

bigpup wrote:

I wonder if xbps can get stuff from non-Void Linux repositories?
A way to add other repositories to search?

Yes, good question, would be nice to be able to install .pet packages, or pets converted to xbps packages.
EDIT: But I would understand if the developers choose to keep it to access Void repo only.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I'm working my way thru this thread again before booting into alpha4. Taking notes, intending a status review. But this can't wait.
Per 'tother Mike, "Still doesn't appear in the Menu, though this could be down to no more than needing to change the 'Category' entry.....Puppy wants categories to always be "X-something", and is the only distro I know that does this." Later, the suggestion to edit desktop file's category."

Stealing a page from peebee, I worked this up 7 years ago. https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... da#p961426. Download still available from here, viewtopic.php?p=21369&hilit=xfce+menu#p21369. [Seems https://rockedge.org/psearch/ to old forum requires I complete a captcha].
rockedge could 'build it in?' or somehow --don't ask me as I don't yet understand how to work with KLV-Airdale-- a user could include it.
Once part of the OS, xfce menu's present ALL applications built for Puppies in an intelligible category on the Menu.

wiak

Post by wiak »

I'm looking forwards to peebee's Puppy Void 32bit alpha, which is also coming along nicely I believe. JWM/Rox/Puppy is always more familiar and less-bloated than XFCE, though depends on the user what they prefer, but more important will be the chance to reliably experiment with using xbps on Puppy since could well clear up what mikeslr called Puppy's 'achille's heel' being package management. What is learned here with KLV-airedale re xbps and so on will therefore also prove useful with Puppy Void (it is even possible to produce an alternative KLV that utilizes the Puppy Void root filesystem so choice and interest for everyone on the forum is the result of these sudden efforts). Will also bring a good opportunity for Puppy to later experiment with using runit instead of busybox (sysV) init, which would further help with upstream Void compatibility (in terms even of documentation in how to start/stop services and so on).

Just realized I'm actually using 'Light browser' right now... ;-)

@peebee In case you haven't noticed I've PMd you sslcerts (temporary) fix to get xbps working.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

'Kay, gang.

As promised, I've tried out the entire catalogue of my published portable apps; with very few exceptions, almost all of them run exactly the way I built them to. Unpack 'em, put 'em where you like, and here in KLV "Airedale" the Menu entry does need to be added. Clicking on the scripts does sweet bugger-all, because Thunar will not execute a script.....all it will do is to open it up in Geany for you to "look at" or "edit". Still, once the .desktop file, icon & launcher sym-link are in place you can set it up to launch from the Menu, or desktop, or any of your panels.

I'll list what works below in a few moments. Just as a diversion, however, here's what I've come up with so far:-

Nowt special, really; more a case of just messing around with it & re-familiarising myself with XFCE's 'quirks'. It's years since I've used it in anger....

---------------------------------------------

Okay. Working 'portables'....

Internet

- Chrome-portable (Temporarily, I've banged together a 'root' version of Chrome-portable. I can share this if anybody wants it..)
- Iron-portable
- Slimjet-portable
- Thunderbird-portable
- Jitsi-portable (video chat)

Documents

- LibreOffice-portable (slightly older - 7.0 series AppImage-based. Current 7.2 doesn't run; complaints about Java, etc...)
- FreeOffice-portable
- Textmaker-portable
- PDFStudio-portable
- P3XOneNote-portable

Graphics

- GIMP-portable
- Inkscape-portable
- FreeCAD-portable
- QCAD-portable
- RawTherapee-portable

(I will add at this point the following:- If anybody is interested, I DO have a completely self-contained 'portable' of Mooi Tech's "Photoscape v3.7" with built-in WINE.....the AppImages that trister discovered over at Github, and which for me have all but replaced WINE .pets & SFS packages. At launch, a bunch of sym-links are made into the system, and PhotoScape shortly afterward fires up. At close, every link is deleted again.....and there's no registry/WINE 'prefix' to worry about, since the PhotoScape app is a special 'portable' version built from the standard install, containing its own 'mini-registry'.)

Development

- BlueGriffon-portable

Audio

- DeaDBeeF-portable (v1.8.8)
- Audacity_3.1.2-portable

Multimedia

- OpenshotQT-portable (needs libselinux/libkeyutils from xbps)
- Shotcut-portable
- CinelerraGG-portable
- LosslessCut-portable
- Blender-portable
- Reaper-portable
- Webcamoid-portable
- Kodi-portable
- SMPlayer-portable
- XVidcap-portable

Games

- EndlessSky-portable (space trader game)
- RedEclipse-portable (FPS)
- Xonotic-portable (FPS)

Miscellaneous

- MuseScore-portable

-----------------------------------------------------

Happily, it appears all these will work as intended when I built them. Unpack, move where you want, add the MenuEntry. Good job, too, because I just haven't got the time to re-build every one of these as an SFS.

Unpack in the terminal. Open a terminal where you download the tarball, then type:-

tar -zxvf ./name-of-tarball

.....which will extract it alongside. Then move where you want. Click/double-click to enter; open a terminal, & enter

./Menu-Add (or MenuAdd)

...and hit enter. Sometimes the wee YAD window will condescend to show, about 'Restart 'X' now' or 'Restart 'X' later'.....just click 'Restart 'X' later' where this shows up, because it won't do anything in KLV.

Having got your 'launcher' in the Menu, you can do what you want with it. Desktop, panel, send it where'er ye like...

-------------------------------

Browsers need

Categories=X-Internet-browser

.....changing to:-

Categories=Network;WebBrowser;

.....in the .desktop entry in /usr/share/applications.

------------------------------

All the above can be found at my MEGA.nz a/c (this account is all 'portable' stuff):-

https://mega.nz/folder/6LYmRTzK#mXaNPN46JIrtUMnCerCy-Q

Posting from Iron-portable v96 in KLV "Airedale" alpha3 right now.

Mike. :thumbup: ;)

wiak

Post by wiak »

per my previous post. Image captured using scrot and scaled using mtpaint.

Attachments
using_xbps_voidpup32.jpg
using_xbps_voidpup32.jpg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote:

....Thunar will not execute a script.....all it will do is to open it up in Geany for you to "look at" or "edit".

Yes annoying, but can be fixed, do in terminal:

xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /misc-exec-shell-scripts-by-default --create --type bool --set true

And scripts will run by (double) clicking on it (or single if configured in Thunar preferences).
Found here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6433

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:17 pm
mikewalsh wrote:

....Thunar will not execute a script.....all it will do is to open it up in Geany for you to "look at" or "edit".

Yes annoying, but can be fixed, do in terminal:

xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /misc-exec-shell-scripts-by-default --create --type bool --set true

And scripts will run by (double) clicking on it (or single if configured in Thunar preferences).
Found here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6433

Cheers, Fred! That's fixed ONE of my niggles. Now I need to discover why my first attempt at configuring a runit 'start-at-boot' service didn't work as expected.....

(Read somewhere else in the last day or two about the Thunar devs deliberately droppings settings options for this.....all in the name of "security". I think it's probably fair to say that most Linux users are savvy enough to know just what it IS they're about to click on, no?? Having said which, it dismays me just how many Windoze "refugees" drag their click-on-everything mindset across from the "dark side" with 'em when they come over.... :roll:)

I really shouldn't be surprised! :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Look what I found.

A GUI for xbps
https://github.com/aarnt/octoxbps

I downloaded and installed it using:

xbps-install -S octoxbps

It puts a menu entry in:
Applications>System
OctoXBPS
OctoXBPS Notifier

When I click on OctoXBPS it pops up a message window saying:
You can not run with administrator's credentials.

Any ideas on getting around running this as root (administrator)?

OctoXBPS Notifier will run
It seems to tell you about stuff that needs to be installed for the overall operating system.
a system tray icon notifier to notify the user about package changes.

wiak

Post by wiak »

You may have some problems getting octoxbps working logged in as root since it is designed against such use. Better might be a quick switch to spot or weedog login mechanism, then similar switch back.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

OK.
But exactly how do I do any of that?

wiak

Post by wiak »

bigpup wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:50 am

OK.
But exactly how do I do any of that?

At the moment there is no quick 'switcher' utility to normal user.

It's not difficult to do manually, but obviously this is not ideal at all, but would allow you to check out octoxbps:

viewtopic.php?p=44301#p44301

Never tried octoxbps, but presumably would work as designed once booted to desktop as user weedog.

So good if someone works on quick-switch to normal user (such as weedog or spot or could be any user added to the system since it is full multiuser-capable).

Two alternatives are:

1. Log in as normal user by default (per above link method - which is what I always do as it happens).

or

2. Write a different GUI app based on yad/gtkdialog/bash, which could be complex or simple just referring to underlying xbps commands such as xbps-query -Rs followed by selecting one of those 'found' and then xbps-install it. But octoxbps with nice switching capability (allowing user to either stay on normal user login or quickly switch back to root might be best if no other workaround for octoxbps was found.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Specialized”