Xenial 32 bits optimised for Asus EeePC 701SD / 4G

Moderator: Forum moderators

gilles

Xenial 32 bits optimised for Asus EeePC 701SD / 4G

Post by gilles »

Hello,
The vast majority of the world's population does not live in developed countries. A large part of the world's population is poor and cannot afford a modern computer, but these people can get an old computer that we, in rich countries, no longer want, hence the interest in continuing to offer 32 bits iso.

And, by the way, when travelling in these countries, it is better to have a computer that is no longer valuable, because no one will want to steal it, than a modern computer that may disappear, because it is not always possible to store it in a safe place.

Besides, one of the fundamental objectives of Puppy linux is to give life back to old computers, isn't it?

It is in this spirit that I made 32 bits Xenial isos optimized for Asus Eee PC 701 SD and 4G netbooks, and including libre office + slimjet browser which allows to eliminate ads, which is appreciable with computers with limited capacities. The desktop has been arranged to fit these EeePCs.

One regret: I did this work with Xenial 32 and not with more recent linux puppies because the more recent versions, either don't allow to install a panning function with Xrandr (essential on these EeePC), or don't boot on very old computers (grub legacy is missing), or both.

Note: these isos will work fine on older computers, not just EeePCs. The only difference in installation is that you only need to enable panning (following the instructions provided) for computers with a resolution of 800x480

In english : https://github.com/gilloraymondo/toutou ... Eeepc701SD
md5 sum : md5sum : 3a28b02cc8dac7f25981837186c8d9a3
in french : https://github.com/gilloraymondo/xenial ... 01SD32bits
md5 sum : c752e0b1c23108f32d460c3d4119f8f5

gilles

Re: Xenial 32 bits optimised for Asus EeePC 701SD / 4G

Post by gilles »

Hello,
Slimjet browser, in this iso, is, now, a bit out of date. It is a pity, but I didn't find a 32 bits Slimjet browser up to date working with puppy.
But firefox ESR 32 bits works fine. https://www.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/all/ ... esktop-esr. You just need to extract it, then look for the gear wheel named "firefox", and click on it, and it works...

Last edited by gilles on Sun May 08, 2022 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@gilles :-

You won't find an up-to-date 32-bit build of Slimjet, I'm afraid. Flashpeak, like all the other builders of 32-bit Chromium 'clones', quit developing their 32-bit builds nearly a year ago.

The newest you'll find is my 'portable' 32-bit Slimjet package. You can find a download link for the final 32-bit Slimjet in post#1 of this thread:-

viewtopic.php?t=3684

This is based on Chromium 92, and is actually one release newer than the version Flashpeak are now offering on the Slimjet website; I suspect they released this one, then replaced it with a slightly older build at a later date. I can't think why, because this has always been extremely stable for me...

Posting from it in Xenialpup 7.5 right now.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

gilles wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Hello,
The vast majority of the world's population does not live in developed countries. A large part of the world's population is poor and cannot afford a modern computer, but these people can get an old computer that we, in rich countries, no longer want, hence the interest in continuing to offer 32 bits iso.

So true, and I bet all those people that have decided to abandon 32 bit development all live in rich countries, and have no thought for the rest of the world. Which is rather selfish in my opinion. I am also a firm believer in the original Puppy concept of reviving old PC's, and I take a keen interest in the Emmabuntus project as well, which I'm sure you're familiar with, especially as they are also based in France.

Although I am never likely to own one of these little Asus machines (I couldn't cope with a screen that small), I wish you every success with your work on this.

Rocotzin

Post by Rocotzin »

Hello, I am using this distro, I like that it starts with 90mb, I run it on an hpmini 110, with 1gb of ram and atom n450 processor at 1.6 ghz. To watch videos on youtube I use the Mochi scrip or I see them from the search engine, with the browser the youtube site does not support, it gets stuck, and although it does load, it takes a long time. Although everything it brings has worked for me, I have not been able to use the smtube, and the youtube-dl does not work for me, Another thing I would like to do is update and browser. Although it works fine (Palemooon 27.6.1), because I can't use the youtube-dl, I try to install extensions in the browser, but it asks me to update. I know I could use web services for downloading, but I want to learn how to use the system more.

Sorry if the answer to my questions are very obvious but hey new, I'm just learning and getting used to it, in fact sometimes I keep doingblicking :mrgreen:

Im using translator, sorry for the mistakes

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Rocotzin wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:12 pm

Hello, I am using this distro, I like that it starts with 90mb, I run it on an hpmini 110, with 1gb of ram and atom n450 processor at 1.6 ghz. To watch videos on youtube I use the Mochi scrip or I see them from the search engine, with the browser the youtube site does not support, it gets stuck, and although it does load, it takes a long time. Although everything it brings has worked for me, I have not been able to use the smtube, and the youtube-dl does not work for me, Another thing I would like to do is update and browser. Although it works fine (Palemooon 27.6.1), because I can't use the youtube-dl, I try to install extensions in the browser, but it asks me to update. I know I could use web services for downloading, but I want to learn how to use the system more.

Sorry if the answer to my questions are very obvious but hey new, I'm just learning and getting used to it, in fact sometimes I keep doingblicking :mrgreen:

Hello, Rocotzin, and if you haven't been properly greeted yet, :welcome: to the Forum.

I'm not sure how much help this may be. But I thought these posts are worth your attention: things for you to explore:
Watch videos from various video sites with Bing, by amethyst, https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... b83#p47403.
List of website and video downloaders, by Grey, https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 351#p52351. Try the ones under his "The people demand bread and circuses!" Section first. I'm not sure the other are available for 32-bit OSes.
Both mention https://9xbuddy.com/: You provide the link. In many cases they will download the video to your computer eliminating the high demands on RAM and CPU involved in streaming. Of course, you have to wait for the entire download to finish before you can watch the video.

An alternative to the above is the NetVideoHunter addon. OOTB you can't use it with palemoon. But if you install "Classic Addon Archive" you'll then be able to install it along with many of the addons built using the 'old' xpi technology. You may have to use some 'trial & error' to find the version which will work with your web-browser. Try versions 1.20 and 1.9.5 first.

The latest version of Classic Addon Archive can be found here, https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/r ... /tag/2.0.3. IIRC, you download it, then use the Browser's file-manager to open it.

A problem you may encounter with downloading large files is that you may get cut off before it finishes. Rather than using Netvideohunter to download, examine the option it gives you to copy the url of the file you want to download. You can then open that url in Menu>Internet>uGet. uGet enables you --most of the time-- to resume download.

uGet can also sometimes be used with 9xbuddy. When the video begins to play you can Right-Click the display and from the pop-up menu choose 'copy url' rather than 'save'.

Rocotzin

Post by Rocotzin »

Thank you for the welcome and for the tips, I am learning many new things, using alternatives when something does not work and not thinking that it could not be done.

About the tips, after reading the posts of amethyst and Grey and trying it, I found it:
- Bing works and plays smoothly, in fact more than with the Mochi script, I guess it is because with the latter the player is bigger.
-9xbuddy works, but very slow, 18 minutes for 35 mb.
-YT1s worked perfectly, you just have to be aware of the Ad, because if I do not close it the page is blocked and you have to start over.
-Y2Mate did not work for me, it just doesn't happen at all after copying the link and putting clik start.
-Classic Addon Archive worked, but only the most recent version, the previous ones do not find the extensions. Most extensions are not supported by my browser. -NetVideoHunter didn't work for me, it just stays in "error 404" or something like that. -uGet did not know it, and as I only downloaded the audio of the videos I did not think it necessary to use it, when I occupy heavy videos I will try it, What else can be done with this?
-Firefox 88 "portable": nilsonmorales recommend using this package but my hardwdare is very limited, open the browser and install a couple of extensions, but when trying to enter the youtube site it got stuck, and after 15 minutes turn off the minilap. Is there another lightweight 32-bit browser that can be used in Xenial? Deal with Falkon but I didn't know how to do it :mrgreen:

I must say that this is the experience with my hardware, and just to share my experience with these tools, maybe someone else will serve.

Rocotzin

Post by Rocotzin »

Browser working:

After much trying, I was able to use one of mikewalsh's portable browsers.
The default palemoon (27.6.1) can't get into Mega or Drive, so I first tried josejp2424's .pet browsers, at https://sourceforge.net/projects/dpup/ , but it just worked for me the midori, the others (netsurf and palemoon 28) did not open and when trying to run them from the terminal they asked for a libssl.so.1.1, I don't know if it can be installed, but with Midori I was able to enter mikewalsh's site in Mega and download the palemoon 32bit.

It works perfectly, :thumbup: I haven't put any add-ons on it yet, but it already goes where previous versions couldn't, plus it runs faster on my hardware than firefox and midori.
I just need to try the NES and SNES emulator to finish resurrecting this minilap :lol:

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Rocotzin

Bing works and plays smoothly, in fact more than with the Mochi script, I guess it is because with the latter the player is bigger.

Mochi's script uses the youtube embedded function. Many videos can not be played with that function. Bing's and DuckDuckGo's players have fullscreen features.

y2mate works for me. You don't have to click start it's supposed to start all by itself after you have pasted the link.

Have you tried DPupStretch 7.5? Highly recommended for older systems. I use this on my old laptop and it has the lowest overhead of all Puppy's I have used. I also run Palemoon 29.1 with this Puppy (newer may even run too). I also run the mobile site of youtube which is not so resource hungry.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I also recommend that you give radky's dpup-stretch, viewtopic.php?p=1506#p1506 a try.

Both radky and Josejp2424 have since published Puppys binary-compatible with newer (buster) 32-bit debians which are also 'light-weight'. But there's something about radky's dpup-stretch -- a certain elegance or cohesiveness I can't quite put my finger on-- which kept me booting into it in preference of the others.

Even though my desktop easily manages 64-bit OSes, xenialpup32 and dpup-stretch remained on the boot menu for a long time. Between them, it was a 'toss-up' of which to boot into.

Rocotzin

Post by Rocotzin »

I'm going to try it, but I see many versions :oops: , do you suggest any in particular?

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello gilles !
Thank you for this work, runs great on my 64 bit G-580 lenovo laptop ( core i7 3612 QM ) wth only 80Mo of ram at start up.I use mikewalsh firefox-esr portable for browser.
Amol.

Return to “Specialized”