alt-file managers: mounting & unmounting

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

JASpup

Re: alt-file managers: mounting & unmounting

Post by JASpup »

I imagine networks, but I'm not that sophisticated a user yet, so I don't even look at it.

Here just trying to cold turkey Pmount and desktop drive icons.

I looked at the startup script, and the mount at boot command is pretty basic.

There's a weird hotplug lone-partition Pmount activation happening in newer pups, but my thinking is along the lines of evolving to rarely seeing Pmount.

I have been liking - if you keep Event Manager icons on and the Traditional Drive Icon Layout, plugging in a USB Flash will put that one partition on the desktop even if all the other partitions are removed somehow (e.g., manually, pinboard).

For everyday it's functioning that's simple and elegant without a lot of clutter or adjustments... once setup of course. With a mounting file manager a lot of this functioning is out of the way.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

norgo

Post by norgo »

@JASpup
For thunar network support you will need to install the packages
gvfs and gvfs-backends

furthermore you will need to launch thunar by the command

Code: Select all

dbus-run-session thunar

to be able to mount/umount devices in thunar make sure that
thunar or pup volume monitor is installed

thunar.jpg
thunar.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 503 times
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@rockedge

norgo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:02 am

@JASpup
For thunar network support you will need to install the packages
gvfs and gvfs-backends

furthermore you will need to launch thunar by the command

dbus-run-session thunar

Linux Über Alles

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@norgo

to be able to mount/umount devices in thunar make sure that
thunar or pup volume monitor is installed

I am in Tahr with just pupvolumemonitor installed and mounting partitions in Thunar works:

thunar-tahr.png
thunar-tahr.png (71.16 KiB) Viewed 495 times

I could not do this in Xenial or later pups.

If I want to mount in Xenial, I use Lxpup Xenial and switch LXDE->JWM.

If you want to fix this, please do so for the whole Puppy community, Jedermangesellschaft.

Linux Über Alles

wiak

Post by wiak »

I haven't had time to try this as yet:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Thunar ... _locations

Using Thunar to browse remote locations
Since Xfce 4.8 (Thunar 1.2) it is possible to browse remote locations (such as FTP servers or Samba shares) directly in Thunar. To enable this functionality ensure that gvfs, gvfs-smb and sshfs packages are installed. A 'Network' entry is visible in Thunar's side bar and remote locations can be opened by using the following URI schemes in the location dialog (opened with Ctrl+l): smb://, ftp://, ssh://, sftp://, davs:// & followed by the server hostname or IP address.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

The thing I have used for 'something' recently is Avahi. If the avahi-daemon is running all sorts of network services can be 'discovered'. I was using it when setting up a networked cups printer (first time I've used cups for a decade actually since I hardly ever print to paper and used to just start up old Windows machine for that...):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Avahi

I'm on WDL_Arch64 so using systemd, but just about starting up the avahi daemon. I'm pretty sure Avahi isn't needed for gvfs though. Don't have my printer on just now, but below found my google chromecast device (Living Room TV):

[papa@bootstrap ~]$ sudo systemctl start avahi-daemon
[papa@bootstrap ~]$ avahi-browse --all --ignore-local --resolve --terminate
+   wls1 IPv4 googlerpc                                     _googlerpc._tcp      local
+   wls1 IPv4 Chromecast-26b75e1eea00b011d301a228671d5ee4   _googlecast._tcp     local
=   wls1 IPv4 googlerpc                                     _googlerpc._tcp      local
   hostname = [26b75e1e-ea00-b011-d301-a228671d5ee4.local]
   address = [192.168.1.4]
   port = [8012]
   txt = ["cd=86CFD74DEB1B419A11E53B8A774B5F41"]
+   wls1 IPv4 26b75e1e-ea00-b011-d301-a228671d5ee4          _googlezone._tcp     local
=   wls1 IPv4 Chromecast-26b75e1eea00b011d301a228671d5ee4   _googlecast._tcp     local
   address = [192.168.1.4]
   port = [8009]
   txt = ["rs=" "nf=1" "bs=FA8FCA309F67" "st=0" "ca=200709" "fn=Living Room TV" "ic=/setup/icon.png" "md=Chromecast" "ve=05" "rm=" "cd=86CFD74DEB1B419A11E53B8A774B5F41" "id=26b75e1eea00b011d301a228671d5ee4"]
=   wls1 IPv4 26b75e1e-ea00-b011-d301-a228671d5ee4          _googlezone._tcp     local
   address = [192.168.1.4]
   port = [10001]
   txt = ["__common_time__=1|0" "id=86CFD74DEB1B419A11E53B8A774B5F41"]
[papa@bootstrap ~]$ 

For Avahi, I also note from Arch wiki link this (but haven't tried on pcmanfm or thunar). Per usual there are probably lots of ways to skin the cat:

Samba
With the Avahi daemon running on both the server and client, the file manager on the client should automatically find the server.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

gvfs-backends

Thanks @JASpup , this package does not exist in Void Linux BUT it did give me enough to find that Void has each gvfs-smb , gvfs-mtp, ...... individually in separate packages. Which I have installed.

Then using the info from the link @wiak posted I am able now to connect around my LAN with FTP. I have been having samba problems for a while so I'll have to look into that.

I use avahi to convert a CANON MG2500 printer into an AirPrint capable setup so the wife can print directly from her Apple gear. Runs from a Puppy Tahr 6.0.5 machine running the daemon and config files and the wife's iPhone and iPad can see the CUPS printer

wiak

Post by wiak »

Another couple of interesting ones. I'm not familiar with either but all worth investigating if still available I suppose:

https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Automount

autofs is a kernel-based automounter for Linux. It can automatically perform predefined mount operation upon directory access.
It is possible to configure it to mount USB devices.
XFCE4 uses Thunar as file manager, thunar-volman is the volume manager permitting automount of CD,DVD,USB,SDCARD etc.
If volumes don't show in Thunar after being inserted, check if you have gvfs installed.

https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Mounting_fil ... ith_udevil

Udevil is a command line Linux program which mounts and unmounts removable devices without a password, shows device info, and monitors device changes. It can also mount ISO files, nfs://, smb://, ftp://, ssh:// and WebDAV URLs, and tmpfs/ramfs filesystems.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Users”