Get a Developer's VIrtualBox Windows 11 Image for Free

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Get a Developer's VIrtualBox Windows 11 Image for Free

Post by rockedge »

Start building Windows applications quickly by using a virtual machine with the latest versions of Windows, the developer tools, SDKs, and samples ready to go

I have a good solid version of VirtualBox running on a host Bionicpup64 so I am going to try it out and see if I can get it to run. There are quite a few features packed in

• Window 11 Enterprise (evaluation)

• Windows 10 SDK, version 2004 (10.0.19041.0)

• Visual Studio 2019 (latest as of 10/09/21) with the UWP, .NET desktop, and Azure workflows enabled and also includes the Windows Template Studio extension

• Visual Studio Code (latest as of 10/09/21)

• Windows Subsystem for Linux enabled with Ubuntu installed

• Developer mode enabled

• Windows Terminal installed

Download size is around 20 Gigs
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... -machines/

p310don

Re: Get a Developer's VIrtualBox Windows 11 Image for Free

Post by p310don »

Also other versions of Windoze here:

I use both the Win7 & Win10 from here. Both supposedly expire. Neither ever has.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sounds like you are both being tempted by the devil. Lots for 'free' certainly, but I bet you just play with it for a while and later move back to useful Linux work...

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

p310don

Post by p310don »

Sounds like you are both being tempted by the devil.

@wiak it's always work related.

I have a work related website that ONLY renders properly on IE. It has two tables that line up in IE, but not in other, better browsers. Easiest thing to do is load up a VM, do what needs to be done, and then shut it down for a couple of months until needed again.

Always prefer working in Linux over Windows.

A quick aside, I set up one of these VMs at home recently. Fresh download, straight from MS website, load it, do what I need to do, shutdown... "please don't switch off your computer whilst we install these 7 updates". Took 20 minutes. F$!@k windows

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I have a work related website that ONLY renders properly on IE. It has two tables that line up in IE, but not in other, better browsers.

Than you need to redesign the website.

Microsoft Teams ended support for IE on November 30, 2020. Internet Explorer will be discontinued on June 15, 2022, after which the alternative will be Microsoft Edge with IE mode for legacy sites

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wizard

Post by wizard »

@p310don

You can turn off all that Windows nonsense. Check the last post in this topic: viewtopic.php?t=3301&start=40

Guess what, after six years, one of my daily drivers running Windows 10 Pro v1511 runs just fine. Never lost a single minute for a Windows Update.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

p310don

Post by p310don »

Than you need to redesign the website.

@bigpup it's not my website. I've complained to them, but they're a bit stuck in the past.

@wizard Literally booted up, had a look at something in IE, and then shut down - no time (nor inclination) to make changes to updates.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

wizard wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:05 am

@p310don

You can turn off all that Windows nonsense. Check the last post in this topic: viewtopic.php?t=3301&start=40

Guess what, after six years, one of my daily drivers running Windows 10 Pro v1511 runs just fine. Never lost a single minute for a Windows Update.

wizard

Most of these Windows updates can be cancelled by just running msconfig and unticking the boxes that allow the update programmes to run at startup. Also, many programmes have an option to turn off automatic updates anyway. Has never been a problem for me because one can so easily disable it.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@amethyst

Have you tried disabling Windows 10 updates manually in any of the newest versions? I found that with each new version, Microsoft became more and more insistent that you update. You could do the manual disabling in msconfig, group policy editor or services and then find Windows would magically re-enable them.

Microsoft - "Where we know what is best for you"

wizard

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

wizard wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:09 pm

@amethyst

Have you tried disabling Windows 10 updates manually in any of the newest versions? I found that with each new version, Microsoft became more and more insistent that you update. You could do the manual disabling in msconfig, group policy editor or services and then find Windows would magically re-enable them.

Microsoft - "Where we know what is best for you"

wizard

No, I haven't recently to be honest. Probably some registry entries you can get to but that's a bit of a task.....

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

the problem for me is having to put in the effort tracking down registry entries and other configurations to try to get the updates under control in the first place. Plus stripping out the JUNK all takes time I have to invest to just get to work smoothly. I've messed with Windows since v 1.0 (1985) but always kept it at arms length. IBM's OS/2 was way better.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

Same problem I had and with each new version they would move the goal post and put in back doors so they could override your settings. Give stopupdates10portable.zip a try, I currently have W11 running with it successfully stopping updates. Lots easier than tracking down reg entries.

wizard

Return to “Virtualization”