Looking for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC .pet [SOLVED]

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Sky Aisling

Looking for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC .pet [SOLVED]

Post by Sky Aisling »

Is there a .pet for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?
or
Do I have to go through WINE?

or any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Sky

Last edited by Sky Aisling on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Post by bigpup »

What specific Puppy version you using?
Yes, it makes a difference!

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

As far as I'm aware, you can't do anything with this, Sky.

It's for Windows, Mac and Android ONLY. And the installer "stub" crashes before it can even connect to the download servers. I'm in DPup 'Stretch' ATM, and that's what has just happened.....

Might work with the newest version of WINE. I use 3.3, because it's "age-related" to a lot of my Windows portables, and just works.....but the newest WINE is now into the 5-series. So; they may have been able to fix the installer crash.

Worth a try.

Mike. ;)
Last edited by mikewalsh on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Why Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

Post by mikeslr »

Hello Sky Aisling,

Why do you want to use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? What functions does it support that you can't obtain under either foxitreader or especially masterpdfeditor?

As bigpup noted it is important to tell us which Puppy you are using (even if you've done that before. We have short memories).

That said, I have versions of both foxitreader and masterpdfeditor running under several Puppies, both 32 and 64-bit. In order to run these applications require qt4 (or qt5) libraries. What I do is use the same base application as an external-program (application downloaded and decompressed to /mnt/home) and install into each Puppy the necessary qt libraries. (Several application running under different Puppies depend on qt libraries; and it's preferable that the version of a library used by an OS be compiled for that OS). Accordingly, I can point to (or if necessary supply) the qt libraries you may need.

foxitreader is nice. But as far as I know masterpdfeditor-4 can do everything any version of adobe reader can, and more.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Mike:-

The ONLY difference I can see with Acrobat DC is that it in fact lives in "the cloud", in the same manner as most Adobe software now does. This allows the user to 'share' - and work on - stuff between multiple devices, if necessary.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's running on a subscription model, same as their other stuff does nowadays..... :roll: You no longer purchase Adobe software outright.....you now have to "rent" it on a month-by-month basis. MyCrudSoft basically nicked the concept of "software as a service" - for Windows 10 - from Adobe, who pioneered it.

T'other Mike. ;)
cobaka

Post by cobaka »

@Sky Aisling

You see, Sky, I'm so dumb I don't even know why anything works. When I abandoned Windows (or perhaps when Windows abandoned me) I pulled about 1GiB of spec sheets for transistors, ICs (and so on) onto my working puppy drive. I read these - they are for reference only, I don't need to write to the files - and when I clicked on an icon (using the ROX file manager) my spec sheets appeared as if I was using Adobe. So - when I saw your posting I asked, "Why (or how) can I read *.pdf documents" in Puppy?" Surprise! They are displayed by software called "Document Viewer 2.32.0" Nothing to do with Adobe.

Maybe you need to create/edit *.pdf documents? If not - then Document Viewer does the job - but since this is supplied 'as stock' in uPupBB, and no-one else has mentioned that (despite the fact that 'they' know) I must be missing something. See, I'm just plain dumb.

What have I missed?

cobaka.

P.S. I saw Mike Walsh's comment about subscription model and 'software as a service'. Drives me nuts to think that some-one wants me to pay, pay, pay for something again and again. While I'm in the middle of my petulant diatribe, let me say that the Puppy Linux system (the WOOF package) demonstrates how good quality system can be produced and distributed at low cost. Come to think of it - I'm off to make another contribution to Barry now. He did the work. He deserves some recognition. Bravo 'BK'!

собака --> это Русский --> a dog
"c" -- say "s" - as in "see" or "scent" or "sob".

Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Everyone, bigpup, Mike, Jameschadwick01 , mikeslr, Cobaka Good to hear from you all.

Whoa! thank you for all the responses.
Well, I did get a notice from the forum that I had a response.
The notice referenced was only from Cobaka. I've received no notices of all your other responses.
But, it looks like this new forum is working. Yeah.

Like Cobaka says, "Drives me nuts to think that some-one wants me to pay, pay, pay for something again and again." What's happening to open-source coding?
After reading the comments, I've decided not to pursue the reader. Way too complicated and I'm always leery of working in the cloud.
And, oh, the Pup would have been either dpup stretch 7.0.5 or Upupbb 18.xx Bionic Beaver. Senior moment...forgot to include it.

Thank you again for the comments.

Sky
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Sky Aisling :-
The notice referenced was only from Cobaka. I've received no notices of all your other responses.
That's just one of the advantages of this new forum software. Lots more tricks..!

You'll get a notification for this post, and if you look at it, you'll see that your name is in red at the top. That means that because I entered your name in a particular way, it told the forum software to send you a notification for this post.

It's easy to do, if you want to make sure someone reads your post. Start with an "@" symbol, then carry on typing the user's name - but don't leave a space after the "@". After you've typed a few letters, a wee grey box with white type will appear somewhere close by with the user's name in it. If you click on that, you'll see that the forum software has wrapped a pair of 'mention' tags around it.....and when you submit your post, the forum 'sends' a notification to that person. Next time they come online, they'll see at the top of the page that they have notifications, which they can click on to find out what they are....

However, manually adding the 'mention' BBcode 'tags' doesn't appear to work. It has to be accessed via the method outlined above.

You can also thank somebody for a given post by means of the "thumbs-up" button top right of the post, where the report/reply with quote buttons live. We now use the report button to notify spam, unlike the old forum which had a dedicated section for it.

You'll soon get the hang of it..!

Mike. ;)
Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

@mikewalsh

Thank you! :thumbup2:
I'm wondering if US citizens are aware of what the thumbs up symbol means to Italians.

Sky
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

No, not really.
What?

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

01101001b

Re: Looking for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC .pet

Post by 01101001b »

Sky Aisling wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:28 pm Is there a .pet for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?
Hi @Sky Aisling!
I don't know exactly which version you have in mind, so take a look at this. You might give it a try. Maybe it works, maybe not.
I don't use Acrobat Reader (I use Sumatra PDF + wine).
Either way, good luck! :thumbup2:

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

@bigpup, @01101001b ,

Well, it's been a while since I've been in Italy, so, things might have changed. But, thumbs up can mean "up your arse". Some of our Italian kennel mates can tell us for certain.

Thank you, 01101001b - I'll store the pet for future consideration.

Sky
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

01101001b wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:30 am
Sky Aisling wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:28 pm Is there a .pet for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?
Hi @Sky Aisling!
I don't know exactly which version you have in mind, so take a look at this. You might give it a try. Maybe it works, maybe not.
I don't use Acrobat Reader (I use Sumatra PDF + wine).
Either way, good luck! :thumbup2:
Another vote for Sumatra here.

If you're already running WINE for multiple other things - as I do - then SumatraPDF is a nice, basic PDF viewer that just 'works'.

Many of the Windows 'portables' from PortableApps.com run pretty good under WINE, and I use a fair number of these.....have done for a few years now. I didn't realise until just a few weeks ago that the PortableApps platform "launcher" app itself would also work OK; somebody mentioned it in a post somewhere here on the Forum, though I'm hanged if I can find it ATM.

[Click to enlarge:-]

Slightly off-topic, I know, but it's a good way to organise the things, as opposed to building lots of individual MenuEntry .pets just to launch 'em.....

---------------------------------

@Sky Aisling :-

That link from 01101001b is the very last Linux build of Adobe Reader ever put together. It's a few years old now, but it still works darned well. Looks like another one of mine; the .pet's quite large, so you might prefer the SFS instead.

Mike. ;)
01101001b

Post by 01101001b »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:56 am That link from 01101001b is the very last Linux build of Adobe Reader ever put together. It's [...] another one of mine.
You're absolutely right, @Mike. It's yours :thumbup2: (I hope you're not italian ;) )
I didn't mention it 'cause, since you didn't offered that link from the beginning, I guessed you might have your reasons. But, as you well put it, the build works well, and Sky Aisling was in need of something similar, so I took my chances :lol:
Regards! 8-)

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@01101001b :-
01101001b wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:06 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:56 am That link from 01101001b is the very last Linux build of Adobe Reader ever put together. It's [...] another one of mine.
You're absolutely right, @Mike. It's yours :thumbup2: (I hope you're not italian ;) )
I didn't mention it 'cause, since you didn't offered that link from the beginning, I guessed you might have your reasons. But, as you well put it, the build works well, and Sky Aisling was in need of something similar, so I took my chances :lol:
Regards! 8-)
Nah, you're OK, mate.

Those two links in my siggy are, respectively, to my Google Drive & MediaFire accounts. Anytime you want to, dive in, have a nose around, and if anything takes your fancy, help yourself. Much of the MediaFire stuff is older than the Drive stuff, just so's you know.

That's what they're there for. Feel free....! :D

Mike. ;)

Return to “Beginners Help”