Extralibs for firefox & Seamonkey - Maybe needed for Sound

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Extralibs for firefox & Seamonkey - Maybe needed for Sound

Post by mikeslr »

Credit should go to fredx181 and MikeWalsh. fred, with Mike's assistance, determined what additional libraries Puppys needed for Puppys to run firefox with sound, originally packaged those libs, and drafted the bash-script --named ff-- so that firefox would run from its own folder using those libs by starting firefox . Subsequently, MikeWalsh 'portablized' Seamonkey using those libs and editing the bash-script, now named smky.
In particular, among the 'extralibs' are those providing apulse. firefox and seamonkey now expect the operating system to use pulse-audio to produce sound. Pulse-audio is not 'built-in' to Puppys, and to install it and render it functional isn't easy. apulse is a substitute application.
If I added anything to this development, it was that any version of seamonkey, firefox or fiirefox-esr could be 'portablized': just download from the publisher's website --including its 'old-version' repo-- UExtract, move extracted folder to your desired location, copy the 'extralibs' folder and script into that folder and start the application via its script.
If you already have a fully functional version of firefox or Seamonkey, you don't need these. And they may be available from links from other threads on this or the old forum. But finding those isn't easy.
To Use: Download and UExtract the tar.gz. Move the 'extralibs' folder and the appropriate script [ff or firefox, smky for seamonkey] into your firefox or seamonkey folder and start your application by left-clicking the script.

Extralibs32.tar.gz
for 32-bit systems
(50.69 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Extralibs64.tar.gz
for 64-bit systems
(53.5 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fredx181

Re: Extralibs for firefox & Seamonkey - Maybe needed for Sound

Post by fredx181 »

@mikeslr Hi Mike, for info, the Extralibs32.tar.gz contains in the "extralibs" folder only libatomic, not the libpulse libs required for "apulse" to work.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, fred. Finally had another reason for visiting this thread. My bad x 2. :roll: Uploaded a corrected version to the original post.

Governor

Post by Governor »

I downloaded the Extralibs64.tar.gz file and tried to extract it. Is this a permissions problem? How do I change the permissions on this disk?

Code: Select all

Operation not permitted
Extralibs64/extralibs/libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0
Extralibs64/extralibs/libatomic.so.1
tar: Extralibs64/extralibs/libatomic.so.1: Cannot create symlink to ‘libatomic.so.1.1.0’: Operation not permitted
Extralibs64/extralibs/libpulse-simple.so.0
Extralibs64/extralibs/libpulse.so.0
Extralibs64/extralibs/libatomic.so.1.1.0
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extraction failed!

********************************************************************************

Failed files:
> /mnt/nvme0n1p2/Extralibs64.tar.gz

********************************************************************************

1 file(s) processed: 0 successfully, 0 skipped, 1 failed.

Distro: fossapup64 9.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.4.0
Desktop Start: xwin jwm
Firefox portable: 115.5.0esr (64-bit)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Governor wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:29 am

I downloaded the Extralibs64.tar.gz file and tried to extract it. Is this a permissions problem? How do I change the permissions on this disk?

Code: Select all

Operation not permitted
tar: Extralibs64/extralibs/libatomic.so.1: Cannot create symlink to ‘libatomic.so.1.1.0’: Operation not permitted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extraction failed!

Failed files:
> /mnt/nvme0n1p2/Extralibs64.tar.gz

1 file(s) processed: 0 successfully, 0 skipped, 1 failed.

Perhaps you are extracting on a FAT32 filesystem (which doesn't support symlinks) ?, if so, to make it work , extract on a Linux filesystem e.g. ext4.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

If you don't have a Linux partition, but have enough RAM --about 3 time the size of the downloaded package-- copy the package to /root. /root is 'in RAM', which under Puppys has Linux structure. Extract it there.

mikeslr

Re: Extralibs for firefox & Seamonkey - Menu Entries

Post by mikeslr »

Credit MikeWalsh for developing this. I just stole it. :lol:

Menu-Management.tar.gz
(53.06 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Download and extract the above. In the extracted folder you'll find two, one name menu-32bit the other menu64-bit. Guess which you'll use with your system. :roll:

Place the firefox folder you downloaded from firefox and the extralibs folder you downloaded from this thread in a folder. You can name that folder whatever you want.
But note:
Using 64-bit firefox portable, the internal firefox folder has to be named firefox64.
Using 32-bit firefox portable, the internal firefox folder has to be named firefox32.

The following screenshot shows their deployment in a folder I named Firefox-portable32.

portable-firefox-structure.png
portable-firefox-structure.png (26.83 KiB) Viewed 3192 times

The screenshot also shows where to locate the LAUNCH, Menu-Add and Menu-Remove scripts. Even without creating menu entries the application can be started by Left-Clicking the LAUNCH script. Guess what the Menu-Add and Menu-Remove scripts do. ;)

The enclosed can be used with both firefox and firefox-esr, but not both at the same time. You can use them as templates, editing the names of files so as to avoid over-writing. But it's much easier to just book-mark your folder and left-click the LAUNCH script when you want to use the least often used one.

waxman

Post by waxman »

hi @mikeslr

Thanks for posting the extralibs info.
The advantage of portable browsers is that you can delete the portable directory and profile with a mouse click.

However there is another method which I sometimes use to enable sound in ff and sm.
No credit to me but you need a copy of the apulse pet provided by @OscarTalks in his repository.
Run the pet to install apulse which is a script to load firefox. Apulse will be insralled in /usr/bin.
Now take your extracted firefox directory and place it in /usr/lib. Now open /usr/bin so both directories are open.
Open the firefox directory within /usr/lib and drag the ff executable into /usr/bin and select relative link in the dropdown menu.
Open the terminal and type apulse{space}firefox hit enter and firefox will load and play sound in streaming video.
This assumes of course that your system will play the ff version of your choice.
Should you need to start the browser in safe mode type apulse{space}firefox{space}-safe-mode and hit enter.
Ditto for seamonkey.
There is an apulse pet in the tahr reository but it does not work for me.
All the above 32bit not tested with 64bit..
Find below uploaded a copy of @OscarTalks pet.

apulse-0.1.13-i686-wz.pet
(43.07 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

regards

Amol

Post by Amol »

Thanks waxmam for your tips ! Works great with Dpup Jessie from joseph2424.
Best regards,
Amol

Return to “Browsers and Internet”