[SOLVED] How to move the Save Folder?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

benali72

[SOLVED] How to move the Save Folder?

Post by benali72 »

On a frugal install, I meant to place the Puppy Save Folder in the same partition as the install. But somehow I messed up and instead placed it in a different partition.

How can I move the Save Folder into the puppy partition without reinstalling?

(Normally I would just reinstall, but the computer involved won't boot off the USB port and has no CD/DVD player. So options are limited.)

Thank you.

Last edited by benali72 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
one

Re: How to move the Save Folder?

Post by one »

Hi @benali72,

boot without savefile (pfix=ram), open the filemanager, search for your savefile/-folder and move it to the location you want.

peace

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I havent tried it but Utility --> Pupsavebackup will backup you pupsave folder which you can move (copy/paste) to another location, and then the bootloader might pick it up as an additional pupsave....maybe....

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

No Pupsavebackup will make a copy of the save, with a name that will not be seen by the boot process.
It is a backup you do not want to use, until you need it.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Ditto what One wrote. Do you know how to boot pfix=ram? What boot-loader are you using?
If your boot-loader is grub4dos, at the bottom of the first GUI which opens is a listing for "Advanced something". [Sorry don't have grub4dos operable right now].

If you choose that a new GUI will open. The 2nd listing has in its title the phrase "RAM-Mode". It may also say something about booting Puppy without using the Save.

At any rate, that's what you want. Choose it and watch the printout as Puppy boots. There should NOT be a report of copying/loading the SaveFile.

Once you'll booted pfix=ram you can safely more the Save file by opening two rox windows, one to its current location the other to its desired location. Left-Press, hold, then drag the file from the latter to the former and select Move from the popup menu. This paragraph is correct regardless of the boot-loader being used. Only how to get into RAM-Mode differs.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

As a matter of interest - Can one have more than one savefolder, like you can have more than one savefile? Many years ago when I still used save files, it was quite nice to have more than one savefile for different setups for one or multiple users using the same machine and Puppy. Can be handy. Also if I remember correctly, you can choose which savefile to use at startup and there should also be an option not to load any savefile at all (well it was like that, don't know if that option still exists). So in effect you can even create an extra "dummy" savefile and you will have those bootup options.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

amethyst wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:34 pm

As a matter of interest - Can one have more than one savefolder, like you can have more than one savefile? Many years ago when I still used save files, it was quite nice to have more than one savefile for different setups for one or multiple users using the same machine and Puppy. Can be handy. Also if I remember correctly, you can choose which savefile to use at startup and there should also be an option not to load any savefile at all (well it was like that, don't know if that option still exists). So in effect you can even create an extra "dummy" savefile and you will have those bootup options.

Totally possible, Nic. I currently have two for Bionicpup64; the version I set-up with ozsouth's help to get this desktop's internal wi-fi working (eth0 just refuses to play ball in Bionic64 on this rig, though wireless runs flawlessly), and the original save-folder, now just used for experiments'n'stuff.

At boot, you get the option to choose a save-folder or run without one, just as you would for a save-file.

Mike. ;)

benali72

Re: [SOLVED] How to move the Save Folder?

Post by benali72 »

Thank you, everyone, it worked like a charm. I just moved the save folder and *.sfs files to the partition I wanted and it worked fine.

Puppy is vert smart!

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] How to move the Save Folder?

Post by rockedge »

Can one have more than one save folder, like you can have more than one save file?

Yes. I use this feature all the time. Right now I am fooling around with compiling the XBPS package manager in Puppy Linux and seeing what it does and how it breaks things or not. I'm using a Fossapup64, but one save folder contains a very important set up so not to destroy it, I simply go into the "advanced menu" and select a boot stanza that launches this Fossapup64 in a RAM only fresh start, which then allows saving at reboot or shutdown of a new save folder (or save file). When I reboot now I have a selection choice of which folder to load or choice '0' which is again no save folder loaded. I name them fossapup64save-A, fossapup64save-B, fossapup64save-C for example. I do have to look out though since one of the save folders is around 64 Gigs large.

what I have not tried in this yet is to mix save folders and save files in the same frugal install.

Screenshot(2).png
Screenshot(2).png (28.18 KiB) Viewed 881 times

Return to “Users”