No audio from Bionicpup64 in Gateway laptop

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

scraginagpup

No audio from Bionicpup64 in Gateway laptop

Post by scraginagpup »

Greetings!
I have a problem with no audio. I am running Bionicpup64 on a Gateway laptop
When I go to Setup -> Alsa Sound Wizard and push the "Play Test Sound" button I get nothing
When I push the "Adjust Sound Levels" button, all levels are up full - main, headphone, speaker etc
When I push the "Multiple Cards" button, I see "ALC272X" both analog and digital. When I play test sound on either of these, the analog gives me the white noise on left, right, and I get "the bark" - ie it appears to work fine - the digital does nothing
The Retrovol sound mixer shows everything up full, but when I run PEqualizer it says, "an error occurred. Please check your sound configuration."
That is the limit of my Puppy expertise - I need yours!

Last edited by Flash on Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Original title: No Audio
bigpup

Re: No Audio

Post by bigpup »

When I push the "Multiple Cards" button, I see "ALC272X" both analog and digital. When I play test sound on either of these, the analog gives me the white noise on left, right, and I get "the bark" - ie it appears to work fine - the digital does nothing

Analog is the one you need to use.

multiple Soundcard Wizard is where you select what sound device to use to provide sound.
Select highlight the ALC272X analog
Click the button at bottom: select card/device
That makes the ALC272X analog the default system device to use for sound output.
Now the adjustments in Retrovol, should be adjusting for that device.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

scraginagpup

Re: No audio from Bionicpup64 in Gateway laptop

Post by scraginagpup »

Thanks for the reply - I have done that, but although everything is "up", still no sound

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Do you have either of these files? Post their contents.

1. /etc/asound.conf
2. /root/.asoundrc (hidden)

The first file should look like this

Code: Select all

defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

If the second file exists, delete it and try the audio again.

scraginagpup

Post by scraginagpup »

Thanks for the Reply!!
The first file is exactly what you sent me. The second file does not exist, and in fact there are no individual files in Root at all, only 12 directories
The mystery to me is that the sound worked fine until maybe a week ago, then it suddenly quit.
As I said, I still get normal sound when I test the card itself, so I believe it is still working...

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@scraginagpup :-

scraginagpup wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:54 pm

Thanks for the Reply!!
The first file is exactly what you sent me. The second file does not exist, and in fact there are no individual files in Root at all, only 12 directories
The mystery to me is that the sound worked fine until maybe a week ago, then it suddenly quit.
As I said, I still get normal sound when I test the card itself, so I believe it is still working...

Have you clicked on ROX's "eye" icon in the ROX 'menu-bar', to check for those ".hidden" files? There should be quite a number there..... :?:

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

analog gives me the white noise on left, right, and I get "the bark

If this is when you test it in Multiple Soundcard Wizard. It is working.

What exact program are you trying to use to get audio output?
A web browser?
A multimedia player?

That specific program is probably the problem.

scraginagpup

Post by scraginagpup »

wow, it seems that there has been two problems...apparently deleting that .conf file solved one of them, and I appreciate this more than I can say

What happened before deletion was that when I ran Firefox - no audio. When I tried Palemoon or Seamonkey and ran Youtube, both crashed. When I tried Audacity, it would not run.

After deletion, everything runs properly except Firefox - still no sound, but when I try an old trick - in console type "apulse firefox" the sound in sound in Firefox is there...

I appreciate the help very very much!!!

I don't know how to completely solve the Firefox issue and maybe you do, but at least the problem seems to be 90% solved

Thanks greatly!!

scraginagpup

Post by scraginagpup »

Again I want to thank-you...I appreciate the help!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Since fredx181 first published it, I've always used firefox portable. It does not start firefox directly: rather it uses a 'wrapper' named 'ff". Among the things the wrapper accomplished is to direct firefox to use the 'extra libs' provided within a folder within the portable's folder. Among those extra libs are several pertaining to 'apulse'. Mozilla builds firefox to use pulse-audio. OOTB, Puppys have a problem with pulse-audio. The apulse application works as a substitute.
I strongly recommend changing to firefox-portable for its other benefits: it updates, and keeps both cache and profiles in the portable folder which can be located outside of your SaveFile/Folder. But if you want to stick with your current version, try the following:
File-browse to /usr/share/applications/firefox_xxx.desktop (where xxx is whatever else may be in its name).
Right click that desktop file and select 'Open in text-editor or geany'
You'll see a line reading something like Exec=firefox
Edit that to read Exec=apulse firefox.

I think that should work.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

everything runs properly except Firefox - still no sound, but when I try an old trick - in console type "apulse firefox" the sound in sound in Firefox is there...

That has been needed to get sound from Firefox for years now.
mikeslr's explanation is why.

Most Puppy versions, have just enough apulse files, to allow programs that need it, to have working sound.

scraginagpup

Post by scraginagpup »

Thanks for your reply...I know it has been a while, and I switched computers to avoid this problem, but now I am back to the older Gateway trying to solve the problem again...so thanks again, and how does one run firefox portable?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

scraginagpup wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:44 pm

Thanks for your reply...I know it has been a while, and I switched computers to avoid this problem, but now I am back to the older Gateway trying to solve the problem again...so thanks again, and how does one run firefox portable?

Follow the links from MikeWalsh's post here, viewtopic.php?p=37559#p37559 which --for a 64-bit system-- will take you here, https://mega.nz/folder/jepQRTRL#NomNB30 ... r/jSIUBBaY. Choose either the regular or esr (extended release) version. [You can choose both, but one at a time*]. You'll see a folder icon, and within both a file ending tar.gz and one ending md5. The tar.gz is the package. The md5 is used to confirm that the package you download hasn't been messed with during the download. [To confirm its md5 number, right-click the downloaded tar.gz package and select gtkhash. The md5 numbers should be identical. Frankly, I don't bother to check unless I experience a problem].
When you Right-Click the tar.gz @ MEGA, you'll see two download options: standard and zip. Zip is another safety measure I don't bother with.

At any rate, eventually you'll have downloaded either a tar.gz or a zip. Right-Click either and from the popup menu select UEXtract. IIRC, if you downloaded the zip, the extracted folded will be a tar.gz you'll also have to UExtract. Eventually --burrowing into the extracted folder(s)-- you'll find one named firefox-portable64 (or if you choose the esr version, I think, firefox64esr-portable). MOVE that folder from wherever it's been extracted to wherever you want it to be.
In that folder you'll find the following scripts: LAUNCH, Menu-Add, and Menu-Remove. You can always start firefox by Left-Clicking LAUNCH. If you Left-Click Menu-Add it will create a Menu-Entry regardless of where you located the 'firefox-portable' folder. But before clicking it, save any open data files as a Restart-X will be executed. As it writes a /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop file, you can also then add firefox to any panel launcher. Menu-Remove is self-evident but will also execute a Restart-x.

You'll also notice in the firefox-portable folder a folder named 'extralibs'. Within it are some libraries including apulse. LAUNCH directs firefox to use them. So you don't have to make any further changes to your system. The portable has two advantages. It permits updating and it is self-contained. When you run it the first time a folder named 'profile' will be created within the firefox-portable folder. It will hold you addons, bookmarks, settings and the cache of files web-sites force on you. The last is why it's recommended you place your firefox-portable folder on /mnt/home, i.e. outside your SaveFile/Folder.
[But if you want, you could locate it in /opt, keeping in mind that any update, new bookmark, addon or setting's change will require that you execute a Save to your SaveFile/Folder].

--=-=-
* Actually, if I'm not mistaken, both will create a desktop file named firefox.desktop whose Exec= argument is 'firefox'. In order to have both via a menu, you'll have to do some editing. So, it's probably easier to first set up firefox-esr, do the editing, then set up the 'regular' firefox. While you're at it, you might change 'esr's' icon.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@scraginagpup :-

No need for that last bit of Mike's previous post. I've modified & re-uploaded the ESR portables, so that the .desktop file, icon and sym-link to /usr/bin all use a slightly different name; different enough, at any rate, that you can simply add both to the Menu at the same time, and the launch sym-links & MenuEntries won't conflict now.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Users”