Tutorial to fix broken video

Moderator: BarryK

BarryK

Tutorial to fix broken video

Post by BarryK »

I have written a tutorial on how to fix broken video in EasyOS, but do note this is for the upcoming version 3.1:

https://easyos.org/user/how-to-fix-broken-video.html

Interesting that. Many years have gone by, and I haven't done much work on that Xorg Video Wizard. But, after acquiring an Nvidia card recently, have hacked on the script, /usr/sbin/xorgwozard-cli and improved it considerably. So useful to have the actual hardware to experiment with.

That is only a cheap card, only cost me AU$26 including delivery (I just looked at the ebay link, see they have put the price up).

So now thinking of buying a cheap AMD card. Looking on ebay and aliexpress, looks like the cheapest cost a bit more, around AU$50. Yeah, reckon will go for it.

hundido

Re: Tutorial to fix broken video

Post by hundido »

Excited to try Easy OS with the new kernel on my new computer.

After getting no video the first time I tried to boot, I hard powered off and then started by following the steps in the tutorial.

I got to this message:

Code: Select all

This computer seems to have two video interfaces:
amdgpu
radeon (ATI)

To avoid conflict, please choose which one to use (or press ESC key to leave both enabled)

I don't know what to do. I'll try: ESC

EasyOS Xorg Video Wizard. I'm choosing Vesa, right?

I think I choose Vesa resolution 1024x768 or something. It booted!

Clicking Night on Screen Brightness and Tint Control doesn't work.

JWMdesk3.2pet says Error, package JWMDesk-3.2.pet failed to install. Then when I click it to install it, I get a red box that says,

Package: JWMDesk-3.2
Sorry, but this package is already installed.  Cannot install it twice.

That's about as far as I can get with it on that computer. Poweroff.

Should I start a different thread for that since the video worked but not any tint options? It probably won't work until something happens with firmware stuff I don't understand yet, if it's the same issue as the others, right?

I really like the bigger resolutions that are the default choices with Vesa. I look forward to trying more on that computer when I can get tint to work.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

hundido wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:11 am

JWMdesk3.2pet says Error, package JWMDesk-3.2.pet failed to install. Then when I click it to install it, I get a red box that says,

Package: JWMDesk-3.2
Sorry, but this package is already installed.  Cannot install it twice.

Very strange that the pet failed to install.

It seems that it got as far as creating an entry in /root/.packages/user-installed-packages, which would be why it won't let you install the PET again.

I'm curious what could have aborted the install.

Install should have created /root/.packages/JWMDESK-3.2.files, which lists installed files.

You could go to /mnt/wkg/.session/ and delete root/.packages/user-installed-packages, and if it exists, root/.packages/JWMDESK-3.2.files, and any other files that the pet may have installed.

Then, as this condifuration of the aufs layered filesystem does not like direct editing in the layers, reboot immediately. The pet will be gone, and can be reinstalled.

But that doesn't answer why it failed to install the first time. Can you post a link to that pet?
pets can be opened up and contents examined, to see if anything odd inside -- right-click on it and choose "pet2dir"

Note, I haven't yet tested the "Fix broken video" for a amd/radeon video card. I have recently acquired a radeon card, and intend to test with it in next couple of days.

hundido

Post by hundido »

This morning, I started thinking the error last night was between the chair and the keyboard.

Last night, I booted Easy 3.1.10 twice on my Acer 5738 before I tried on the new AMD. SCT tint worked last night and this morning on the Acer 5738. I don't know why I got a failed to install error the first time, and an already installed error the second time, but now I think JWMDesk 3.2 was installed the whole time.

Sorry for the confusion.

Here's a link to JWMDesk 3.2 and the sct binaries: viewtopic.php?t=3561
I keep them on a USB so I can install them immediately on any new puppy-ish system without dealing with internet connection and navigation without them. I'll try booting Easy on the new computer again and see if sct/Redshift is still broken.

hundido

Post by hundido »

Booting the same Easy OS USB on my Radeon 5800x, Neither the built in Redshift or sct in Display Control from JWM Desk work.

Writing on the Radeon 5800x using Manjaro KDE with Night Color set to Always On and 1700k and working. Currently running Kernel 5.10.70-1.

Return to “EasyOS”