Getting shared folders to work with Oracle VirtualBox?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

andrewlen

Getting shared folders to work with Oracle VirtualBox?

Post by andrewlen »

Hi pupians, (is that a word?) :)

New to the forum and to Puppy, but have been playing around with it and got so impressed with its speed that I've now installed it as a permanent VM I created with a fixed 16GB VDI that I formatted with the ext4 filesystem.

It now boots from the VDI and runs brilliantly, so long as I don't try to modify it! I've already screwed it up and had to reinstall it three times in a single day, so I'm going to be treading a little more carefully from here on lol :oops:

I'm still very much a Linux noob but have had some limited experience playing around with Linux Mint 20 CInnamon. I see that Puppy works a lot differently to Mint, but no matter what I've tried, I can't seem to achieve in Puppy what I could easily do with Mint.

Access to a folder on the hosts via the VirtualBox "Shared Folders" feature in particular.

Some info about my Host and Virtual Box Pup

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) Version 21H1 (Build 19043.1320)
CPU: 11th Gen Intel (8 Cores) i7-11700K @ 3600 MHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Model: PRIME H510M-E (LGA1200)
RAM: G-Skill 2 x 16384MB Modules (Total of 32 GB) DDR4 @ 3200 MHz
Storage: Kingston NVMe 512GB SSD, 2TB Western Digital SSD, 2TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Samsung SSD, Samsung 1TB SSD, 2 x 4TB External USB 3.0 HDDs
Graphics Card: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
Soundcard: Realtek High Definition Audio and NVIDIA High Definition Audio

The Pup I'm using is the latest FosaPup64 v9.5 installed in the latest version of Oracle VMVirtual Box 6.1

I tried installing the Guest Additions ISO that worked with Mint, and though it seems to install into Puppy without error, when I restart the VM I get errors on the next and subsequent reboots. I uninstalled it but it wouldn't cleanly uninstall for me, so that was one instance I formatted and started again.

It seems that the install from the current VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.26.iso doesn't want to work with Puppy.

Please be as basic as you can when giving instructions, particularly if I need to use Terminal - I'm a long time Windows so go for easy GUI Linux Distros. I'm loving the GUI in Puppy but can't seem to get that function I need to work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get the Shared Folders function to work with Puppy? What am I doing wrong?

Any help getting it to work would be much appreciated.

Best, Andrew

Andrew Leniart | Freelance Journalist - Helping others, to help themselves...

Full list of Self-Help Articles & Tutorials here: https://start.me/p/nRDOOM/articles-and- ... journalist - No Ads or other Nags!

p310don

Re: Getting shared folders to work with Oracle VirtualBox?

Post by p310don »

What have you done?

How have you set up your network in vbox?

There are a couple of ways to achieve what you're describing. If your network is set up right, you can just treat it like another computer in your network. I use "Bridged Adaptor" as my network mode, and then I can see the other machines on the network, including the host

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@andrewlen

First install the Devx and the Kernel Source associated with fossapup64. Do not forget to mount these two elements (See Load SFS ON THE FLY in menu). Afterwards, you insert and execute the Guest Additions. Reboot your Puppy.
Finally, I configure file sharing (Virtualbox settings - with the guest system running). No problem of exchanging files (bidirectional) between the guest system (bionicpup32) and the host system (macOS). I also have a trial under fossapup64 and it works.

Here is an example with bionicpup32 (for Devx and Kernel Source):

Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (118.14 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Last edited by BologneChe on Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Born to lose; live to win

snoring_cat

Post by snoring_cat »

Hi andrewlen,

I haven't gotten Puppy Linux to connect shared folders under VirtualBox as of yet. I think it has to do with VirtualBox assuming some Ubuntu standard app are installed in Puppy Linux.

For now, you can run a Samba or FTP server on your host machine, and access it via your Fossa VM. Don't forget to change any Windows firewall settings if necessary.

For example, after setting up an FTP server on Windows, you can use gFTP in Fossa

gftp.jpg
gftp.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 1162 times

Puppy Linux does have a program calle "Cloud Disk" by jamesbond that makes it easy to mount FTP, Samba, etc. just like what VirtualBox does with shared folders. However, I don't know where to download it from for Fossapup. Anyone in this forum have any clues?

This is what "Cloud Disk" looks like

1.png
1.png (168.8 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (13.91 KiB) Viewed 1162 times

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

FatDog's Cloud Disk --as, I think, all-- FatDog applications-- can be downloaded from its repos on ibiblio; and specifically from here, http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packages/810/. Although FatDog's packages are in tar.gz format --I'm not sure Fossapup can directly install them-- Fossapup's UExtract can decompress them so that their contents can be manually installed.
The upside is that Cloud Disk has only a few components. The Downside is that FatDog is not binary compatible with Ubuntu versions such as Fossapup: binary compatible with Fossa Focal. Retro-fitting can be anywhere from a chore to an impossibility. The upside is that Cloud Disk' executable is a bash script and it has no libraries. But I didn't analyze the script which may call binaries and their libraries compiled under FatDog and/or not found in Fossapup. And FatDog's bash may not be identical to Fossapup's.

Just wanted to be sure you knew of the hazzards of trying to 'mix and match' between Puppys and their kin.

The quickest way to find out if Cloud Disk will function is to try it. But while I suspect from andrewlen's post that he properly setup Fossapup in virtualbox, it wasn't specifically stated. So to be sure: Puppys run as 'frugal install': which only means the operating system files are not decompressed and spread out across a partition but are only located (usually in a folder) on a partition. Frugal Puppys make use of the files and file-systems contained in the ISO in the form they were contained in the ISO. [A Full/Legacy install, would decompress those files and spread their contents thru-out a partition]. As a Frugal install, customizations, settings and additional packages are eventually preserved in another file-system, either a SaveFile or a SaveFolder by manually executing a Save or choosing to Save at shutdown/reboot. Until such Save, things you 'install' or just copy into the system are only in RAM. In such condition, you can test by Exit>Restart-x. Puppy re-catalogs its system. If there's a problem you can reboot without Saving. RAM is cleared on Reboot.
Short version if you haven't already done so: create a virtual disk, frugally install Fossapup into that disk, preferably in a folder.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@andrewlen

My experience with using vbox extensions has been hit and miss. I just made a file share on my Windows computer and use Puppy's menu>network>Yassm Samba share mounter to open (mount) the folder. You do need to use Yassm v4.2 or higher, I've included a link to 4.5. This always works with all my vbox puppies. Only thing you have to watch for is if your host computers IP address changes. With most routers it doesn't happen often, but if it's an issue you can always assign a static IP to the host or some routers setup will allow you to always assign the same IP to a device. On my Win host I just have the IP displayed in the top right corner of the desktop, so I can easily see what it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tgtr578g7ytb ... a.pet?dl=1

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

After trying to get shared folders to work easily in VirtualBox and not finding at any stage it was "easy" I now go right to a "Bridged network", pure-ftpd (ftp server) with gftp (ftp client) setup and just transfer files between host and the virtual machines via FTP. Works well and is simple to get going.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@andrewlen :-

Hi, Andrew. Oooh, you certainly know how to make an entrance, don'tcha? :lol:

VM usage is not, I think, quite as prevalent among Puppians as it is with users of mainstream distros. Y'see, part of the trouble is that Puppy does many things in a slightly different, almost unique way as compared to the big boys. This often gives us 'issues', because most software packages assume you're running things in a 'standard' fashion, with a 'standard' file-manager, 'standard' package-management system, 'standard' desktop, 'standard' window manager.....need I go on..?

Puppy often achieves the same functionality for any given 'standard' item in a mainstream distro by combining a number of smaller, more lightweight, easier to work with packages together. We have some very clever boys & girls here; Erik (rockedge, our admin), may not post that often, but only a fool will ignore him when he does. Several others spring to mind, but you'll meet 'em all in due course.

I've occasionally played around with VMs, but have never had that much success with 'em. TBH, much of the time I would sooner run things on bare metal anyway. You might want to try VMWare; when I tried this early last year, I got on better with it than I ever did with VirtualBox.

YMMV, of course....

Mike. :thumbup:

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:10 pm

VM usage is not, I think, quite as prevalent among Puppians as it is with users of mainstream distros. Y'see, part of the trouble is that Puppy does many things in a slightly different, almost unique way as compared to the big boys. This often gives us 'issues', because most software packages assume you're running things in a 'standard' fashion, with a 'standard' file-manager, 'standard' package-management system, 'standard' desktop, 'standard' window manager.....need I go on..?

Puppy often achieves the same functionality for any given 'standard' item in a mainstream distro by combining a number of smaller, more lightweight, easier to work with packages together. We have some very clever boys & girls here; Erik (rockedge, our admin), may not post that often, but only a fool will ignore him when he does. Several others spring to mind, but you'll meet 'em all in due course.

I've occasionally played around with VMs, but have never had that much success with 'em. TBH, much of the time I would sooner run things on bare metal anyway. You might want to try VMWare; when I tried this early last year, I got on better with it than I ever did with VirtualBox.

YMMV, of course....

Mike. :thumbup:

Hi mikewalsh;

I run many Puppys (Fossa, Bionic, Slacko) under VBox they work well

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

Hi @p310don,

What have you done?

Spent the last 20+ years running a company building and maintaining Windows-based systems, which seems to be to my own detriment whenever trying something new now, because at 60 years old, it's become much harder for my brain to absorb and retain different information. I do keep trying though. :lol:

In so far as Puppy and Linux go in general, I'm nowhere near comfortable enough to make the move to a Linux based OS full time so am trying to learn the ropes through VMs.

I've always found Oracle VM VirtualBox a pleasure to use and configure, particularly useful for keeping out of date OS's at the ready when someone needs help. Just as an example, a snapshot of my current collection, all legally licensed, working perfectly, and can be connected to the Internet at will with just a flick of a button to re-enable their Virtual Network cards: https://filedn.com/lRckkYRfDkN7ybm1tRj3 ... -Nov21.png

I had OS2, DesQview, and Windows for Workgroups in there as well at one stage, but find no need for them anymore. :)

How have you set up your network in vbox?

Separated from my Host and that's by design so there is no network access to the host at all for security purposes, because I'll frequently leave them open and connected for days at a time. Happily, Puppy and the other Linux VMs defaulted to a 10.x.x.x, IP when they installed, so I didn't need to reconfigure anything in any of them, while my Host has a 192.x.x.x IP address, and on a totally different Subnet so that helps to keep them separated from my host (and vice versa) security-wise.

I use "Bridged Adaptor" as my network mode, and then I can see the other machines on the network, including the host

Thanks for the idea. It's a very good one that I'd actually considered myself but decided I would rather not if at all possible. Oracle VirtualMachines share folders method is perfect because it only has access to one folder on one of my Drives with nothing of value ever stored in it.

My thanks for your input though. Much appreciated.

Best, Andrew

Full list of Self-Help Articles & Tutorials here: https://start.me/p/nRDOOM/articles-and- ... journalist - No Ads or other Nags!

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

Hi @BologneChe,

First install the Devx and the Kernel Source associated with fossapup64. Do not forget to mount these two elements (See Load SFS ON THE FLY in menu). Afterwards, you insert and execute the Guest Additions. Reboot your Puppy.
Finally, I configure file sharing (Virtualbox settings - with the guest system running). No problem of exchanging files (bidirectional) between the guest system (bionicpup32) and the host system (macOS). I also have a trial under fossapup64 and it works.

Thank you so much for the clear instructions and particularly for including the snapshot. I'm a visual learner so that helps me understand where I need to go a lot.

I'll definitely give your idea a try at the very next opportunity and post again to update you on how it went. I'll take snapshots of the entire process and offer it as a mini tutorial for anyone else who might have similar requirements with Puppy.

If I don't manage to screw the attempt up somehow, I'm hopeful your idea will work! I've learnt my lesson and will be taking snapshots of my Puppy VM before screwing around with it again now tho. Reinstalling is fairly painless with Puppy, but I'd rather avoid having to again if I can. :lol:

:thumbup2:

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

Hi @snoring_cat,

Thank you very much for the idea, and also the detailed instructions with snapshots. Always appreciate the latter as I've always been more of a visual learner by seeing and then doing, along with written text. :thumbup2:

For now, you can run a Samba or FTP server on your host machine, and access it via your Fossa VM. Don't forget to change any Windows firewall settings if necessary.

Another idea that came to mind was to just have a shared folder stored on my lifetime pCloud drive that I could upload and download from and just access that when needed. Access to it is easy and very quick, but just like using FTP, it's a workaround rather than a solution that includes more steps, so if possible, I'd like to keep trying with the Shared Folders idea. The FTP solution hadn't occurred to me though and it's a good one I'll keep in mind if I have to use a workaround in the end.

Very much appreciate your input and suggestion though.

Thanks very much for the effort you made to be so helpful.

Regards, Andrew

wizard

Post by wizard »

@andrewlen

My experience with using vbox extensions has been hit and miss. I just made a file share on my Windows computer and use Puppy's menu>network>Yassm Samba share mounter to open (mount) the folder. You do need to use Yassm v4.2 or higher, I've included a link to 4.5. This always works with all my vbox puppies. Only thing you have to watch for is if your host computers IP address changes. With most routers it doesn't happen often, but if it's an issue you can always assign a static IP to the host or some routers setup will allow you to always assign the same IP to a device. On my Win host I just have the IP displayed in the top right corner of the desktop, so I can easily see what it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tgtr578g7ytb ... a.pet?dl=1

wizard

Last edited by wizard on Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

Hi @mikeslr,

Thanks for the idea Mike, but taking a look at that archive and considering what you said would be involved, I think that would be way beyond my capabilities at the moment. I have no programming experience at all so looking at code, scripts, and often even DOS batch files tend to give me a headache when I try to follow and understand them. I guess I was born to be a user of developed products, rather than a developer or modifier of code in any way. I'm pretty quick and good at copy and paste when it helps though! :lol:

Short version if you haven't already done so: create a virtual disk, frugally install Fossapup into that disk, preferably in a folder.

Thanks for the explanation. I did indeed create a virtual disk in VirtualMachine (a 16GB fixed sized VDI) and installed Fossapup to that. It installed everything to the root of the disk by default and created the folders it needed. The minimal 64MB swap file Fossa created on my first exits and saves (I say exits and saves because I've done it a first time a few times now! lol) was also created in its own folder. I could have probably answered No Swap File Needed when asked if I wanted one because I've also given Fossa 8GB of RAM to play with, but figured what the heck, if it wants one, then let it have one. My understanding is that it's also a "Frugal" install as well. In fact, when installing Fossapup each time, I didn't come across an option to do a "Full" install anyway.

@wizard

Just an FYI, I got a 404 error when I tried to view that link.

Many thanks,

Andrew

wizard

Post by wizard »

@andrewlen

My bad, fat fingered something, the link in the post above has been corrected.

wizard

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

HI @mikewalsh ,

Hey, that's your fault! You should know what I'm like from other online conversations we've had, yet went and told me about this place anyway, so here I am. :P

If anyone resents my cries for help now, I'll always be pointing the finger at you as the one to scold for my joining this forum to get help for my little Puppy. :D :lol:

I've occasionally played around with VMs, but have never had that much success with 'em.

I absolutely love using them. Been using and creating VMs for years and when I discovered Oracle VM VirtualBox, haven't looked back since. Such a brilliant solution that I never cease to be amazed it's given away for free. I did send them a small donation once though. I suspect you're missing out on a lot of conveniences by not persisting with VM's. :P

If you ever want to have a crack at em again, don't hesitate to reach out for help.

When it comes to VirtualBox, there wouldn't be much I couldn't achieve with it (seriously) and providing they're configured correctly, run just as fast (and sometimes faster) than the host they're running on. In fact, most servers run as Virtual Machines these days. I know because I still log into them at times to do maintenance for old clients, although using commercial solutions rather than the free alternatives of course. VirtualBox is a very lightweight solution more designed for home users.

If you remoted into my Windows 10 or 11 VM's for example, I can almost guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell that you weren't using a hardware install. There are ways to hide the fact that it's a VM if you want to. I fool Tech Scammers all the time when using them for scambaiting.

https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/29674/ - Another fun little hobby of mine. <grin>

Cheers mate,

Andrew :thumbup2:

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

@wizard

wizard wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:53 pm

My bad, fat fingered something, the link in the post above has been corrected

Cheers mate. I've downloaded your fossa pet and will have a play around to take a quiz. Haven't installed a Pet as yet so will be an interesting learning exercise too :)

Best, Andrew

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Thanks all for your comments. One of my hopes/challenges has always been to get shared folders working in Virtualbox, but now I realize thats an unlikely possibility.

BTW, I have used VirtualBox a lot in recent times, and as Puppy Linux is very lightweight, virtual machines run very fast. A rarely mentioned feature is that one can directly install (any/many?) Linux OS on a USB with Virtualbox, with the choice of Legacy or EFI boot. It is a very safe process with no risk to the host OS.

I use PureFTP in the puppy host and Gftp or Filezilla in the guest OS to transfer files. They are both so easy to use, really. This setup is probably much quicker than using a shared folder, because the guest OS can navigate through the host file system to find the desired target file to transfer.

I also use QEMU a lot as it will easily boot legacy USBs that my normal EFI-set hardware won't. Again, I use the PureFTP/Filezilla combination for file transfer.

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

@Geek3579

Geek3579 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:41 am

Thanks all for your comments. One of my hopes/challenges has always been to get shared folders working in Virtualbox, but now I realize thats an unlikely possibility.

I've been told the same thing but will be trying a workaround suggested in this thread.

I can also be quite stubborn though so I've emailed a request to VirtualBox to provide native support for Puppy with their GuestAdditions ISO. Haven't heard back yet, but I throw them a reminder in a month or so if I don't get a reply.

Will keep you updated on my progress with trying to get it to work using the workaround.

Best, Andrew

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Good luck on all fronts Andrew.

Puppy Linux is such a great platform for all kinds of projects so its worth persisting if there are leads to go on.

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

Hi @BologneChe

BologneChe wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:03 pm

Is there a walkthrough you could point me to about installing the Devx and Kernel Sources you're speaking of?

I tried following your instructions and searched for the ones showing in your snapshot, but using devx as the search term just returns "Sorry, no matching package name" so I'm not sure where to find the files in your snapshot that you say I need to install.

Thanks.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

You can't really blame @BologneChe , Andy. He's one of our many 'good guys' in respect of trying to help others out, but one failing a lot of us perhaps share is that we get so used to doing stuff in Puppy we tend to assume everybody knows what we're talking about.

(EDIT:- As BologneChe says below, English is NOT his native language. Which of course complicates things further...!)

I have a horrible habit of thinking my colleague, bigpup, goes way OTT with many of his posts when he's helping beginners with 'noob-type' things, because he repeats the same stuff over & over, again & again.....but he's actually right with this behaviour, because you have to personally deal with each & every beginner on an absolutely basic level, and should never take it for granted that they're automatically going to know where to look for things you mention in your posts.

So.....let's see if we can get you a wee bit further forward, shall we? :)

---------------------------------

• Go into Menu->Setup->quickpet fossa.

• Click on the 'Useful' tab.

• Towards the bottom, click on 'devx'. A window comes up...

• Select 'devx_fossapup_9.5.sfs'. Hit 'OK'.

• On the next window, select a mirror. For our purposes, the most reliable one is always 'ftp.nluug.nl'; select this, then click on 'Download SFS file'.

• A window will now open up top, and you can see the download mechanism doing its thing. When complete, a window appears, asking if you want to load the devx package. You do, so click on 'OK'...

• The 'SFS load-on-the-fly- process runs, and loads the devx sfs package, which as far as the system is concerned means it's been installed. The devx has been automatically downloaded to the correct location, meaning it's in the expected place for an SFS package.

• A final window appears, asking if you want to run the application straight-away; well, you DO.....but you don't. If you say yes, you then go straight into the Qt/Glade GUI design stuff, which is not what you're trying to do. Click 'Quit' at this point. The devx is still loaded, and the system will recognise that fact when it needs specific parts of it; it knows the stuff it needs is now there.

If needed, repeat this process for the kernel_sources package (this is what mainstream distros refer to as the kernel headers & stuff, OK?)

-----------------------------------------

Those without much RAM will tend to unload the devx package when not in use. You, like I, have tons of the stuff, so you may just as well leave it loaded; in real terms - for me and thee - it takes up next to no space.

I know very little about VMs, and have even less interest, TBH.....but at least that should put you a bit closer to your objective!

Hope that helps.

Mike. ;)

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

andrewlen wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:13 am

Hi @BologneChe

BologneChe wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:03 pm

Is there a walkthrough you could point me to about installing the Devx and Kernel Sources you're speaking of?

I tried following your instructions and searched for the ones showing in your snapshot, but using devx as the search term just returns "Sorry, no matching package name" so I'm not sure where to find the files in your snapshot that you say I need to install.

Thanks.

Hi @andrewlen

In picture :

Picture 1 : The path to get the devx and the kernel source (kernel src)
Picture 2 : The path to install the devx and the kernel source (kernel src)

Sorry for explanations a little short ... english is not my native language.

Thank you @mikewalsh for his clearer explanations. I recommend them :thumbup:

Attachments
devx_kernel.jpg
devx_kernel.jpg (173.93 KiB) Viewed 759 times
sfs_load.jpg
sfs_load.jpg (166.55 KiB) Viewed 759 times

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

@mikewalsh

Hi Mike,

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:03 pm
  • Go into Menu->Setup->quickpet fossa.

• Click on the 'Useful' tab.

• Towards the bottom, click on 'devx'. A window comes up...

• Select 'devx_fossapup_9.5.sfs'. Hit 'OK'.

• On the next window, select a mirror. For our purposes, the most reliable one is always 'ftp.nluug.nl'; select this, then click on 'Download SFS file'.

• A window will now open up top, and you can see the download mechanism doing its thing. When complete, a window appears, asking if you want to load the devx package. You do, so click on 'OK'...

• The 'SFS load-on-the-fly- process runs, and loads the devx sfs package, which as far as the system is concerned means it's been installed. The devx has been automatically downloaded to the correct location, meaning it's in the expected place for an SFS package.

• A final window appears, asking if you want to run the application straight-away; well, you DO.....but you don't. If you say yes, you then go straight into the Qt/Glade GUI design stuff, which is not what you're trying to do. Click 'Quit' at this point. The devx is still loaded, and the system will recognise that fact when it needs specific parts of it; it knows the stuff it needs is now there.

If needed, repeat this process for the kernel_sources package (this is what mainstream distros refer to as the kernel headers & stuff, OK?)

-----------------------------------------

Those without much RAM will tend to unload the devx package when not in use. You, like I, have tons of the stuff, so you may just as well leave it loaded; in real terms - for me and thee - it takes up next to no space.
Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for those step-by-steps Mike! They were more helpful than you might realise :D

I've now got Shared Folder in Oracle VM VirtualBox working perfectly thanks to @BologneChe

Took a couple of goes as for some reason, the order things are done seem to be important, but once set up, they work a treat and are available at each restart or shutdown/startup of the Puppy VM.

I've posted a "How-To" with snapshots every step of the way on BC forums in case they're helpful to another Puppy Noob like me.

Details are posted further down. Let me know if you would like the How-To posted at this forum somewhere and I'll be happy to repost it here too.

@BologneChe

Thanks very much for your help in pointing me in the right direction. I've credited you in the Noob How-To I created.

Best regards,

Andrew

andrewlen

Post by andrewlen »

@Geek3579

One of my hopes/challenges has always been to get shared folders working in Virtualbox, but now I realize thats an unlikely possibility.

Not so... Keep reading! :D

Geek3579 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:55 am

Good luck on all fronts Andrew.

Puppy Linux is such a great platform for all kinds of projects so its worth persisting if there are leads to go on.

Success!

Got Shared Folders working with Fossapup64 9.5 in Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1 installed on Windows 10.

As promised, here's an update with the How-To I created to show how I finally got Shared Folders working.

How To: Enable Shared Folders with Puppy-Linux Guest in VirtualBox

If you follow the steps in the order listed, I don't see why it shouldn't work for you too.

I did it twice to make sure and Shared Folders now work perfectly. :D

Hope it helps you out.

Best regards,

Andrew

Return to “Beginners Help”