How to use uPupBB's File Copy/Cut & Paste in Xenialpup?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

NightKnight2

How to use uPupBB's File Copy/Cut & Paste in Xenialpup?

Post by NightKnight2 »

Hi folks, newbie here, hope you all doing well !

I'm using 32bit Xenialpup 7.5. As you might know there's no paste function for files, and I noticed that uPupbb32-8.0-uefi has it. Hopefully someone will point me to the right direction and see if I can borrow them code over here. (I saw it once while i was looking for something else and forgot to write down the location :oops: )

Thanks all in advance. Have a fun day/night !!
cobaka

Re: File Copy/Cut & Paste

Post by cobaka »

@NightKnight2

Welcome to the dog-kennel. Woof! This is a great place to be!
there's no paste function for files, and I noticed that uPupbb32-8.0-uefi has it
I'm trying to understand your question. Do you want to know about cutting and pasting in the bash shell?
(Lots of options - eg sed/awk, but google will supply answers more quickly than the Puppy forum).
If you want to learn sed, you-tube will help more than using the sed 'help' command: #sed --help.
The 'help' function is useful when you know the syntax. Otherwise - it's difficult to decipher.

Do you want to know about cutting and pasting a text file in the 'X' environment?
(I think 'no' because this is obvious using Geany - or other editors).

Do you want to know about cutting an pasting with a graphics editor like mtPaint?
(perhaps ...) Or maybe a screen-shot grabber, like 'take-a-shot' TAS?

Maybe you're thinking about the ROX filer - where you drag and drop? (At least that's available in uPubBB32).
Or - if you just want to copy files - in the shell, you have the cp and mv commands ....
You question seems to imply bash (command-line) because you mention 'borrow the code'.

I'm a beginner, like you, so I'm always interested in learning new methods.

If your 'Q' is more specific you'll get the answer you need ...

cobaka.

собака --> это Русский --> an old dog
"so-baka" (not "co", as in coast or crib).

NightKnight2

Re: How to use uPupBB's File Copy/Cut & Paste in Xenialpup?

Post by NightKnight2 »

Hi @cobaka , thanks for your reply. Woof Woof! lol . Yeah I can feel people here are knowlegeable, friendly and helpful.

What I meant was rather than drag and drop files from one directory (folder) to another (which requires to open two windows), I, personally, prefer to use the old method - copy and paste. Yeah mainly for file movements. Nowadays I get used to GUIs than CLIs, getting lazy as you might have guessed lol .
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ Nightknight2:-

Right. Sounds like you're not a fan of drag'n'drop!

What you need is one of the more traditional file mangers. You're in the 'buntu Puppy 'tree', so something like Lubuntu's PCManFM file manager, or Xubuntu's Thunar, should be available for install via your PPM.

If you want to stick with Rox, though, well.....this is where I start coming unstuck. I know there's been quite a bit or re-working done to ROX by various Puppians over the last couple of years. I believe the version used by UPupBB is one of these newer, re-worked versions, but I'm pretty sure peebee would have compiled/integrated this at build time. I doubt you could simply transplant the whole thing from one Pup to another.....

There may well be a standalone package of this re-worked version which would work with Xenialpup, but if there is I have no idea where to find it, I'm afraid.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:09 pmI doubt you could simply transplant the whole thing from one Pup to another.....
Transplant finished, patient still alive. I just exchanged an old ROX-Filer (vintage 2013 from my Slacko5.6) with a new one (stolen from DpupStretch) and everything seems to work fine, incl. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. Of course I give no guarantees.
Only one file has to be updated: /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer
Restart X to see the effects.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi NightKnight2,

I think you're referring to woodenshoe's recent modifications to rox-filer. IIRC, newer woof-builds automatically use the modified version which is why newer Puppies have copy/cut & paste. MochiMoppel's technique will work, But it requires that you have a Puppy with the newer version and perhaps boot into it and use a program such as gnewpet, viewtopic.php?p=2934#p2934. However, pretty much every new version of an application which appears in a woof build of Puppy can be found on ibiblio and its mirrors. woodenshoe's modification are among those. As it happens, there are 32-bit versions classified as common. http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -common32/.

I'd say download and install as they should run OOTB without incident. But it's always best to back-up you SaveFile/Folder especially before installing an application which may have system wide repercussions.

My preference would be to install festus's xfe, available here. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 148#996148. As indicated by the screenshot here, https://www.esds.co.in/kb/file-managers ... e-manager/ xfe is dual-pane with optional tree-view. It's also theme-able; 'though at the moment can't find a theme pet already online.

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NightKnight2

Post by NightKnight2 »

Thank you very much @mikewalsh for your help, much appreciated.

I like to try things out, but not too keen to install unnecessary software in my system. I like it lean, mean and clean, a bit like me, well not sure about clean though lol . (only a joke)

Big thanks also goes to @MochiMoppel, seems it's the thing I was looking for. Definitely will look into it later. You saved me a lot of white hairs :thumbup2:

Woof Woof @mikeslr 8-) , Yeah you're right, most recent puppy have this function, except EasyOS ;) and thanks for reminding me to backup. That's another reason why I like Linuxpups, they are soooo easy to back up and restore. Wish my life was that simple lol (joking !). Will definitely look into xfe, thanks
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:47 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:09 pmI doubt you could simply transplant the whole thing from one Pup to another.....
Transplant finished, patient still alive. I just exchanged an old ROX-Filer (vintage 2013 from my Slacko5.6) with a new one (stolen from DpupStretch) and everything seems to work fine, incl. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. Of course I give no guarantees.
Only one file has to be updated: /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer
Restart X to see the effects.
A-ha. Fair enough. I wasn't sure; it's not something I've ever tried, TBH. I wasn't about to give the OP advice toward something I have no experience of.....that's the worst kind of advice.

Thanks for trying that one out. It's appreciated, I WILL say.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Mike Walsh " I wasn't about to give the OP advice toward something I have no experience of.....that's the worst kind of advice." But it can be the most fun. ;) Or at least the source of a good story.

A life-time ago I had 'political connections' and so a summer job working for the County Road Department. One day I was originally assigned to follow the asphalt spreader. It was long past its prime and left uneven patches. My job was to fill the holes. The technique is that you fill your shovel head with asphalt, then swing it: the asphalt flies off in an arch with sufficient momentum that if it doesn't land in a hole it keeps rolling until it finds one. Well, that's the theory. My efforts resulted in very nice mounds. After about an hour the foreman decided I would be more useful directing traffic. So I stood in front of the barricaded road and sent the cars either to the left or right. Sometimes they would stop and ask for directions. Well, I couldn't allow traffic to back up, so I'd give them. I've often wondered what became of those people. I had never before been in the town where we were fixing the road.

Return to “Beginners Help”