What's the password for CUPS in Fatdog?

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

J_D_

What's the password for CUPS in Fatdog?

Post by J_D_ »

Yesterday I discovered Fatdog could be installed with LICK so I had to give it a try. Really like it. When I go to CUPS to add a printer it asks for a password here. http://localhost:631 is requesting your username and password. The site says: “CUPS”. I do not know what password it is asking for. Help please ?

Last edited by Flash on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Original title: CUPS
p310don

Re: CUPS

Post by p310don »

Which browser are you using?

I had a similar drama with an older FD. If I tried to make changes in CUPS through Chrome, it asked for a password, if I did the same via Firefox or Seamonkey, it worked fine, no password required.

J_D_

Post by J_D_ »

No Chrome. I have Firefox but CUPS opens Seamonkey.

step

Post by step »

J_D_ wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:33 pm

No Chrome. I have Firefox but CUPS opens Seamonkey.

I assume you clicked "CUPS manage printing" in Fatdog Control Panel, then you clicked "No" at the help prompt, then SeaMonkey started showing the CUPS admin page. SeaMonkey starts because it's configured as the default browser. The CUPS admin page is http://localhost:631. You can open that page directly from Firefox, if you need to, or you can change the default browser. To learn how to change the default browser click the help icon on the Desktop, search for "default browser", then click the "How to change default programs..." link.

In a pristine Fatdog installation, the only password there is is root's. Try to see if CUPS accepts it. Root's default password is "woofwoof".
Exactly what printer model are you installing? How is this printer connected to your PC/notebook?

J_D_

Re: What's the password for CUPS in Fatdog?

Post by J_D_ »

I tried woofwoof. I tried hooking the printer with a USB before booting Fatdog. Its a Brother MFC-L2680W.

J_D_

Post by J_D_ »

Thanks. I opened CUPS in Firefox. Cups saw the printer. It is asking for a PPD file. Do I download this from Brother ?? Its been 4 or 5 years since Perdido helped me do this on the old Puppy forum and I just do not remember the details. I do know I had to do some stuff in the terminal.

ndujoe2

Post by ndujoe2 »

Just to preface I am using Bionicpup64

I entered localhost:631

Clicked Add a printer

chose http

entered url for 192.168.1.x

selected Brother from the list

In the list is chose : a brother printer below and close to your current brother number, it worked for me

p310don

Post by p310don »

Cups saw the printer. It is asking for a PPD file. Do I download this from Brother ??

You can download a driver for Brother Printers straight from gslapt package manager.

J_D_

Post by J_D_ »

I spent way too much time on ths today. I tried entering the web address. I tried the package manager for the drivers. CUPS wants the PPD but it does not see the one I installed from the package manager. Somehow I managed to kill my wireless router. Screwed up my Windows so they would not print. I did have a spare router and finally got Windows to print. Wasted about 30 sheets of paper trying different things. Back in the day it took a while to get the printer to work in xenial but I did get it done. All the links I used were on the old forum and they no longer work. Maybe God does not want me to print with Linux. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Flash

Post by Flash »

Someone gave me an HP printer because they'd broken the latch that holds in the ink cartridge. I taped in the ink cartridge, but CUPS in EasyPup didn't list the exact model. So I picked one that seemed close and it worked, but only in black and white.

Chaos coordinator :?
J_D_

Post by J_D_ »

Flash wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:19 am

Someone gave me an HP printer because they'd broken the latch that holds in the ink cartridge. I taped in the ink cartridge, but CUPS in EasyPup didn't list the exact model. So I picked one that seemed close and it worked, but only in black and white.

I only print documents. No color here either. I do not even need to print with Linux, I have a Windows 10 partition. I just like to use the dog and puppies . Some times I just need the agrivation.

Return to “Software”