Moderator: Forum moderators

ferret0ferret

Microphone not detected by Chromium with pulseaudio installed

Post by ferret0ferret »

I have the following:

Computer: HP 17-CP0336NG
Puppy Linux: fossapup64
Chromium: 97.0

The microphone works fine in Firefox and Opera. I'm able to use, for example, Google Hangouts without issue. However, Chromium doesn't recognise either the built-in speakers or the microphone. I saw this link (https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=118473), which recommended I install pulseaudio to solve the issue; however, I already have pulseaudio installed. I am running Chromium as spot, with apulse: run-as-spot apulse /path/to/latest/chrome.

If anyone has ideas about how I might be able to troubleshoot this, I'd be quite grateful.

mikewalsh

Re: Microphone not detected by Chromium with pulseaudio installed

Post by mikewalsh »

@ferret0ferret :-

Um....'kayyy. Sounds like a codec issue to me.

From my long-standing experience with these browsers, most of them have the necessary multimedia codecs installed by default. 'Vanilla' Chromium, however, tends to want everything extra - like these - installed manually by the user.....and it must be the appropriate version that's been compiled against that specific browser release.

Despite that I package many of the Chromium-based 'clones' for the community, Chromium itself is not one I have much experience with! The best person to ask about this would be peebee, who has been packaging Chromium for us for several years.

Sorry I can't help directly with this, but at least I know which direction to point you in.....

------------------------------

EDIT:- A-ha. Just noticed.....Chromium 97??? That would be, I guess, the very newest bleeding-edge developer version, which is a few releases ahead of the mainstream 'stable' release. It's entirely possible that nobody has yet even compiled & built codecs for something this new....

This may be an issue of your own devising! :shock: :roll:

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

ferret0ferret

Post by ferret0ferret »

Mike, you helped me once again. Thank you so much! That was my problem. Solved.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

ferret0ferret wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:00 pm

Mike, you helped me once again. Thank you so much! That was my problem. Solved.

Good, good. Always try to help where I can...

Mike. ;)

Return to “Browsers”